Trial Trackers: Stay involved with the Courage Campaign

Community/Meta

By Julia Rosen

After Wednesday’s proceedings, our minute-by-minute liveblogging of the trial will pause until the trial resumes again for Judge Walker’s final question-and-answer session with the plaintiffs and defendants.

Meanwhile, keep checking back at the Trial Tracker for new analysis and updates as we wait for the closing arguments. There will be new content up here every day.

Of course, just because the trial will be on hiatus doesn’t mean that our work ends, or even pauses. The Courage Campaign Institute and the Courage Campaign were hard at work fighting for equality before this trial started and will continue long after Judge Walker rules.

We’d love to have you join us. Here are some ways to stay involved and get to work:

In addition, we are going to be collecting all of your wonderful personal stories, so keep your eyes out for that.

Thank you to everyone who chimed in on Rick’s “Trial Trackers: We need you” thread. There were some excellent ideas that we will be considering in the coming days.

Feel free to keep the suggestions coming in the comment thread on this post. We really enjoy hearing from you!

• 1. Richard  |  January 26, 2010 at 5:03 pm

Julia,
    thank you from the bottom of my heart for letting me know that this will not shut down during the hiatus between tomorrow's proceedings and the closing arguments sessions. That is a huge relief to me, because I have found such a wonderful extended family here amongst my brothers and sisters in the LGBTQQI community and our straight allies. Everyone hwo has been involved with this is on my list of heroes. KEEP UP THE GREAT WOK EVERYONE!!
    Richard

• 2. Lance Lanier  |  January 26, 2010 at 5:22 pm

I have truly enjoyed myself over the last two weeks and have had a LOT of laughs. Realizing the importance of this trial, it is beyond my grasp just how delusional some people happen to be, such as Andy Pugno. I read Pugno's take on the trial every evening and hang my head in saddness. Always truth in every thing Pugno states, but the spin is out rageously unforgiving. It plays on the trust of the people. The people relied and trusted on the supposed truth before voting and the spinning continues on.

• 3. rf  |  January 26, 2010 at 8:42 pm

I'd like to thank you all as well for all the hard work. This has been quite amazing to watch and feel like I am a part of.

I do have one question/suggestion. Not sure if its because its new, or its my browser (which is up to date I think), but this website: prop8trialtracker.com doesn't seem to have individually indexed pages in google or yahoo which would make it eminently more searchable especially if people don't type in prop 8 or CC. thanks again!

• 4. Rick  |  January 26, 2010 at 11:11 pm

I'd really like to see a future post devoted to the legal process and timetable from once the closing arguments have been made until the final outcome by SCOTUS. It would be helpful to know what happens at each step of the process, including all the possible outcomes at each step of the process.

For example, could Judge Walker ultimately be the one to make gay marriage legal nationwide if he rules in favor of the plaintiffs, his decision is upheld by the appellate court and SCOTUS declines to hear any appeal?

• 5. Andrea  |  January 26, 2010 at 11:16 pm

This site should provide a forum to organize a nationally coordinated network of local rallies in celebration or protest of the decision. Last year we had one for the last trial challenging prop 8 — Day of Decision. In Chicago we got 500 people out there. Great for media attention and to get and keep people involved in the struggle.

• 6. Alan E.  |  January 26, 2010 at 11:50 pm

I will certainly be in downtown San Francisco for he day of decision. Might even go try to watch the closing arguments.

• 7. rpx  |  January 27, 2010 at 12:15 am

If you could please add a clock to the website at the top of every page showing the local time where the trial is that would be helpful. I can't tell you how many times I went to Google to look up the time in SF I'm 9 hours different in time and when the blog would say back at 5 min past 1pm I would get lost in the comments and then have to go look up on Google what time it was there.

• 8. Callie  |  January 27, 2010 at 12:53 am

Thanks to everyone at the Courage Campaign for putting so much time, effort, and energy into making sure we have the facts. You people are heroes in my book!!!

I'm glad the site's staying up and that work for equality will continue on. I'd love to see CC expanded to other states, and I'd be more than happy to help it happen in my state. God knows we need a strong community network!!!

*hugs to all*

Now maybe I can get some work done. 😉

• 9. David  |  January 27, 2010 at 1:02 am

Yes, I too, wish to add my many thanks to the Courage Campaign for keeping us up-to-date on this important trial. I opined in a previous blog about the other side and compared them to the "other side of the rainbow", which is not to be confused with 'over the rainbow'. I have laughed, I have cried, and it all felt great! I also wanted to acknowledge Mr. Boise and Mr. Olsen and the rest of our team. I would be remiss, if I didn't acknowledge all of you, the commentors, you have helped me understand things when I was clueless and have given me such hope that things will change in America.
    Love,
    David Kimble

• 10. Ronnie  |  January 27, 2010 at 1:16 am

I will say it in the form of a song:

How about getting off of these antibiotics
    How about stopping eating when I'm filled up
    How about them transparent dangling carrots
    How about that ever elusive kudo

How about me not blaming you for everything
    How about me enjoying the moment for once
    How about how good it feels to finally forgive you
    How about grieving it all one at a time

The moment I let go of it was
    The moment I got more than I could handle
    The moment I jumped off of it was
    The moment I touched down

How about no longer being masochistic
    How about remembering your divinity
    How about unabashedly bawling your eyes out
    How about not equating death with stopping

yeah yeah
    ahh ohhh
    ahhh ho oh
    ahhh ho ohhhhhh
    yeaahhhh yeahh

much love via Alanis Morisette!

I feel the family strength and it is strangling prop ha8te!

• 11. David from Sandy UT  |  January 27, 2010 at 1:32 am

What, if anything, are people in Utardia—The Pretty Hate State (a.k.a. Utah) doing? Equality Utah’s news page and blog are out of date (no current news and nothing about Walker’s proceedings). The Salt Lake Tribune published one item back on day-one but nothing since then (considering the huge involvement by LDS members in pro-hate. . . umm, excuse me. . . pro-8 political activity, daily trial updates should have been above-the-fold page-one news).

Suggestions?

David
    Sandy UT

• 12. Doug  |  January 27, 2010 at 1:35 am

Another thought, maybe the webmasters of this site produce some meta tags that will help people searching for protectmarrage and other key words find this site in searche engines? I know it can be done.

• 13. Bonobo  |  January 27, 2010 at 2:22 am

Uh, David? You do know that the Trib is on the Pro H8 side? If the LDS doesn't own it, they should. Nothing gets printed in Trib that isn't Church approved.

• 14. Alec from SC  |  January 27, 2010 at 3:00 am

I have a question. I've heard of a reenactment of this trial. Is this true? And, if so, when will it be released?

Thanks,
    Alec

• 15. Ronnie  |  January 27, 2010 at 5:08 am

Although Lets not be silent…..Lets get loud! Lets get loud!

Lets get loud, lets get loud
    Turn the music up, lets do it
    Come on, people
    Lets get loud, lets get loud
    Turn the music up to hear that sound
    Lets get loud, lets get loud
    Aint nobody got to tell you what you got to do

• 16. Another Ray  |  January 27, 2010 at 8:35 am

Not "out" yet …

I'm hoping "Hollywood" will create a full move documentary BEFORE we go to the Supreme Court!

• 17. fiona64  |  January 27, 2010 at 9:07 am

I've got another one; I sang this as part of a chorus on World AIDS Day 2009:

Gonna keep on moving forward
    Keep on moving forward
    Keep on moving forward
    Never turning back
    Never turning back

Gonna keep on singing loudly
    Gonna keep on loving boldly
    Gonna plant the seeds of justice
    Gonna keep on moving forward

• 18. Ronnie  |  January 27, 2010 at 9:22 am

I like that….. <3

• 19. Straight Ally #3008  |  January 27, 2010 at 9:33 am

And don't forget to at least join up on Facebook with local marriage equality organizations. These folks could all use support after recent developments:

Garden State Equality
    Empire State Pride Agenda
    EqualityMaine

• 20. Straight Ally #3008  |  January 27, 2010 at 9:37 am

Check out this video of the New York Senate vote set to "Marchin' On" by OneRepublic!

• 21. David  |  January 27, 2010 at 9:46 am

David,
    I see a pattern developing that eerily similar to what happened with youtube live broadcast of the trial. I doubt you can do anything about it, but I don't know for sure. It is interesting – I wonder how many of their membership tuned into the trial via the other side of the rainbow – (I enjoy using this simile to describe their side of the argument, which is of course not to be confused with over the rainbow). I am certain they believe everything that is spoon-fed them by their limited understanding of the universe and all that it encompasses. I would also be interested to learn if anything is said in Sunday's Church Services about this trial.

• 22. Ronnie  |  January 27, 2010 at 9:48 am

OMG……you suck straight ally #3008……because now I am crying……. and my long haired Chihuahua is howling because I'm crying………..

But thank you and I just bought that song from Itunes and every time I hear it I will think of you….

• 23. Jereco  |  January 27, 2010 at 10:03 am

I just got back from looking at Protect Marriage's web-site. They have no transcripts of the trial (would be too damning to them) – only editorials by Andy Pugno trying desperately to re-work the trial into a Pro-Prop 8 light… And – surprise, surprise! – they don't allow Comments to be posted. I wonder why….

• 24. Ronnie  |  January 27, 2010 at 10:17 am

I just made this statement to my mother I felt the need to share it after watching the video together posted by straight ally #3008………

The people who are against same sex marriage and equality continue to ignore the simple fact that this is about human. EVERYONE!

It hurts not just LGBT people whose lives are destroyed by these anti-equality laws.

It hurts our kids, not just teens but babies, infants, toddlers, 5yo's, 10yo's!…… those of who have children…..

It hurts our heterosexual friends, families, co-workers, neighbors, supporters and their families and kids……

It hurts us not just those who have been in relationships for years but those of us who are single and do have dreams of finding mr/mrs perfect and be just as committed as others

We are teens, 20 somethings, Over the hilliers, Baby boomers, Black, white, asian, latino, muslim, straight, gay, transexual, lesbian, bisexual, religious, non-religious, left handed, right handed, brunette, blonde, black haired, red haired, blue haired, HUMAN.

WE ARE ALIVE AND WE ARE NOT GOING ANYWHERE!!!!!!!!

• 25. Jeremy  |  January 27, 2010 at 10:28 am

From what I understand, if Walker rules in our favor, and the 9th upholds, AND SCOTUS denies cert, then gay marriage would only be legal in the 9th District: CA, HI, AK, AZ, MT, ID, WA, OR, and the Pacific territories. Which wouldn't be so bad, wouldn't you love the irony of gay marriage being legal in Palin's home state?

• 26. Tim  |  January 27, 2010 at 10:47 am

And for those of us who are younger and still getting our education, let's work hard and keep at it, so that we may be the experts in our respective fields for the battles that are to come! :)

• 27. Another Ray  |  January 27, 2010 at 10:50 am

This really gves insight into what Blackenhorn was like:

(debate video at Pace U) http://fora.tv/2007/03/14/Gay_Marriage_Debate

You'll hear many of the same talking points he used today, but in court, was way off base.

• 28. Carl E.  |  January 27, 2010 at 11:14 am

Not to mention John McCain's!

• 29. Taylor  |  January 27, 2010 at 11:30 am

Thank you Rick and everyone @ Courage Campaign for all your work on this trial. I can't imagine how much effort it was to try to transcribe all of this trial and you did a marvelous job.

There simply aren't enough kudos to give out for everything you've done to bring the facts to the people. There's no way to give enough kudos for everything you've done to fight for what's right and give countless couples, families and individuals much needed hope.

I am so proud of your efforts that "Thanks" feels like a small sentiment.

• 30. Don  |  January 27, 2010 at 11:34 am

I think it would be a good idea to clean up the live blog entries. There are typos, attributions that are confusing and mistakes that one can figure out, but lead to some ambiguity. I've followed this from the beginning, but it's taken a lot of time. I think it would be good to come up with an edited version of highlights. I've also found the remarks compelling. I'm not sure how someone who didn't keep up with the trial would be able to get through them. I think they could be edited to shorten them, but I think different people might respond to different remarks. I think there are a lot that could be eliminated that were moot, duplicates, me too, or the thank yous. Maybe those could be grouped together for those that found them interesting.

I have a slow internet connection. I found the navigation difficult. I'd rather have a new window open when I clicked on a link, rather than using the same screen. It took an inordinate amount of time to get back to the original screen when I clicked on an imbedded link.

I think an index of some kind might help, too.

I think the easier the material is to access in a short amount of time is, the more people will see it and the more effective it will be.

• 31. Don  |  January 27, 2010 at 11:47 am

Another project could be to gather the personal stories that people have told about the damage of denying equal marraige on themselves and children. It's a continuation of The Courage Campaigns having people develop their "story of self". They could be colected on an internet site or published in a book. A model could be a book of a couple years ago, The Little Red Book. It's a collection of stories about first menstration. They are very diverse in terms of age, and experience. They were short, half to a couple of pages , I thought the book was very effective.

I think our individual stories are our best tool to change people's minds. The best way is for indivduals to tell them in person, but I think some other forms would work as well. Some listed in the remarks were very moving for me.

• 32. Ronnie  |  January 27, 2010 at 12:15 pm

He said it!!!!!!!! Obama Said it!!!!!
    The Bigots are DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 33. Linda  |  January 27, 2010 at 12:33 pm

Here's my personal challenge:

All of the ideas we have suggested are going to require MONEY! And you KNOW the other side will get plenty of it. So, I just went on our site and made a commitment for $10 recurring monthly donation. That won't break my bank, and hopefully it won't break yours; but $10/month from each one of us will add up to a good base of support for our ongoing fight.

Who's with me???

• 34. Lesbians Love Boies  |  January 27, 2010 at 12:45 pm

This must have been asked – and answered – before, but if the defense loses this trial, which I think they might, how much time do they have to announce they want or don't want to appeal the decision?

• 35. Ronnie  |  January 27, 2010 at 12:56 pm

If I had a steady Job I certainly would….but I spend everything I make on more supplies…I'm a Fashion Designer, by the way…… I'm saving to get a brand new industrial sewing machine

• 36. Straight Ally #3008  |  January 27, 2010 at 1:16 pm

Hear, hear! Happy to stand with you, Ronnie! And remember this: we are on the right side of history. Despite setbacks, the change in public opinion on marriage equality over the years has been remarkable. Check it out, California is poised to break the 50% mark:

• 37. Shun  |  January 27, 2010 at 1:34 pm

Don't know such things myself personally but I thought the point of this case was to prove that banning same-sex marriage is unconstitutitional. If its upheld in repeal, wouldn't that just mean that people can't ban it…but it wouldn't necessarily mean that gay marriage could happen right away?

My wording may not be the best but it's sorta like…the Court agreeing that you can't ban it…but they're not saying that gay marriage should happen? If that makes any sense…

• 38. Shun  |  January 27, 2010 at 1:38 pm

but couldn't you just right click to open up a new link for every entry?

• 39. DK  |  January 27, 2010 at 2:57 pm

I am a straight ally (Californian now living in CT where same-sex marriage IS legal) and supporter of both Courage Campaign and HRC. I've been absolutely glued to this blog and am waiting impatiently for the reenactments.
    Not long ago I visited the National Constitution Center and it struck me as I was walking through the exhibits and reading about past civil rights case that this, right now, is history in the making. I am an optimist, and hope that in ten years we'll be looking back at pre-2010 the way that spouses in inter-racial marriages (and their children) look back at Loving v. Virginia.
    Thank you to Rick and Chad and the staff at CC and AFER, and to the plaintiffs and their attorneys and witnesses for all the hard work. Thank you to all the commenters–I have let as many people as I can know about the trial and this site, and I must say some of the comments have been as powerful as the trial itself. Thank you all.

• 40. Ronnie  |  January 27, 2010 at 4:58 pm

Ok I just thought about something that will slay everybody in this community:

For the movie of this trial, and you know there will be one

I know the perfect actor to play William Tam…..wait for it…..

B.D. Wong!…..he's gay, he's Chinese-American…….. Oooooo…..It's just delicious!

Slap in the face to Mr. Tam…..BOAW! BOAW! BOAW!

• 41. Marko Markov  |  January 27, 2010 at 9:25 pm

Wow! Did you guys see this article? It says there is still a chance that the recordings will be released to the public!!!

Cameras emerged as a volatile issue at the beginning of the trial, until the U.S. Supreme Court voted 5-4 to bar broadcast because the Northern District of California bungled a change in its rules. But if the district court properly amends its guidelines to allow for the release of previously recorded videos, David Boies of Boies, Schiller & Flexner said the plaintiff same-sex couples would "absolutely" make a motion to release the Prop 8 tapes.

• 42. Kathleen  |  January 28, 2010 at 1:16 am

That would be great! I didn't realize they were making videos. I was under the impression (apparently mistaken) that the SC order had halted any video recording.

• 43. Kathleen  |  January 28, 2010 at 1:20 am

from the above article:
    "After the high court ruling, Yes on 8 lawyer Charles Cooper of Cooper & Kirk asked Walker to cease all recording and destroy any existing video files. Walker refused, saying the local rules permit him to keep a copy for his own deliberations."

The defense REALLY did not want this trial to see the light of day.

• 44. fiona64  |  January 28, 2010 at 1:34 am

We had close to 2000 people in San Jose at the worldwide rally after Prop 8 passed. I will be watching for notice of the decision day and will try to get the day off so I can be at the courthouse with my LGBT friends and fellow allies.

• 45. fiona64  |  January 28, 2010 at 3:52 am

@Ronnie: This is beautiful. Thank you for sharing it.

Can I adopt you? (Not that you need another mom, LOL …)

• 46. Ronnie  |  January 28, 2010 at 3:59 am

Your welcome fiona64

Lol…sure why not….2 mom's are better then 1

bada dat…ching!

• 47. Ronnie  |  January 28, 2010 at 6:03 am

I just wanted a consensus of how connect we all really are and would like to ask who was at the Nationality Equality March on Washington D.C. in October 2009?

I was….with my dog…lol and 2 of my friends from Philly. A marries straight couple (Male-British, Female-Latino)

I was in awe and felt my uncle Chalie who dies in 1992 due to AIDS complications…I was 8… but I felt him marching with me…Now you…

GO!

• 48. fiona64  |  January 28, 2010 at 6:49 am

I wasn't at the march, Ronnie, but I wonder if you (or anyone else on this board) would be interested in participating in a project that Angie Bowie (yeah, that Angie Bowie … David's first wife) is working on. If you go to her website, http://www.aidsbegone.org, you will see that she has a CD up that she has curated; all proceeds benefit AIDS/HIV research and treatment.

Well, Angie is working on a writing project to be the next installment, and she is asking that people submit essays, poetry, stories, biographies — something about people living with HIV/AIDS, or who have passed because of it. Submissions may be sent to angie@angiebowie.net; she is accepting *everything,* and will divide the chapters in the book based on the themes that she sees emerging from the entries received.

Yes, I sent something … and Ronnie mentioning his late uncle spurred me to share the idea with all of you here.

Love,
    Fiona

• 49. Ronnie  |  January 28, 2010 at 7:06 am

OMG! Thank you fiona64… I am there and I will pass it on to everybody in my family who was close enough to him to have a story….He has a patch on the quilt from Cleve Jones

• 50. fiona64  |  January 28, 2010 at 7:11 am

You're so very welcome, Ronnie.

If anyone is interested, this is a link to the submission I sent: http://www.goodreads.com/story/show/59308.Speakin

Love on y'all,
    Fiona

• 51. Jason  |  January 28, 2010 at 9:22 am

Thank you very much for all of your coverage. As a hetero, I had always rather thought that DP and CU were sufficient, and was pretty ambivalent about the whole thing.

However, reading through all of the testimony of the various witnesses from both sides (pretending for a moment that the defense actually *had* a side), the case was made objectively and from numerous angles which I had previously not even considered, that nothing short of genuine marriage is enough.

I have been enlightened now, and I wish everyone the best of luck for Judge Walker making the right decision and supporting fair and equitable treatment for everyone under the law. Thanks again.

• 52. Elisabeth  |  January 29, 2010 at 3:22 am

Suggestion:

This site should next follow the Arizona lawsuit filed by lambda legal to block a new law stripping domestic partnership health-care benefits. I don't know when it starts but it was filled in November 2009 and I haven't seen any updates.

• 53. porn&hellip  |  May 11, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Watch it…

[…]Interesting info[…]…

• 54. Free online games&hellip  |  May 11, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Catch it…

[…]Cool website[…]…

• 55. Woodworking4home&hellip  |  May 11, 2011 at 5:45 pm

Steve’s Woodworking Site…

[…]even though the websites we link to directly below are completely unrelated to ours, we feel they are truly worth a read through, so have a glance[…]…