Same Ol’

Uncategorized

by Brian Leubitz

Marriage equality is important, and for that reason it has sort of glommed up the spotlight for the so-called gay agenda.  Yet, if it wasn’t clear that there are other issues remaining, it should be abundantly clear after figure skater Johnny Weir’s performance.

During coverage of the men’s figure skating competition last week, Mailhot asked Goldberg if he thought that Weir, who came in sixth, lost points because of his costume — a low-cut, pink-and-black outfit with ruffles — and his body language.

Goldberg replied that Weir was setting a “bad example” for other male skaters. “They’ll think all the boys who skate will end up like him,” he said.

The pair also wisecracked that Weir should undergo gender testing and should compete in women’s events. (Xtra)

Now, I can’t say that I’m a figure skating expert, but from having seen a photo of the costume, it’s hardly that shocking. It’s black and has some pink accents. Outrageous! But, apparently that’s enough for some announcers to throw out homophobic remarks.

The fact is that nobody, no figure skater, no hockey player, not even Ted Haggard, should be forced to conform to somebody’s sensibilities for what it means to be masculine or feminine, straight or gay.

Unfortunately, from all corners of the globe, we saw insensitive and ridiculous comments just like this. While it is great that we are moving forward on marriage equality, we must also continue to move forward on breaking down stereotypes and the associated bigotry.

• 1. Ronnie  |  February 24, 2010 at 1:26 am

It really is so disrespectful when a sport that is totally Gay oriented….Men's Figure Skating…is put into a spotlight because of costumes….for crying out loud…look at the athleticism….I say this….the saying goes…"people who can't do teach"….well I say "people who can't do also judge those who can do"…..Claude Mailhot is a hockey player so yeah ice is involved but he probably can't do what Johnny can do…….and Alain Goldberg…shame on him…he off all people, who is a figure skating teacher, he should know how things are…SHAME!!!…..Then the same should go for Michelle Kwan who is a tomboy…she should have competed in the mens competition and the chick on the current U.S.A. Team, Mirai Nagasu, who descibes herself as a tomboy…..these guys are FOOLS!!!!….<3…Ronnie

• 2. Linda  |  February 24, 2010 at 1:32 am

As long as LGBT's are viewed as second class at best, an abomination and doomed to the pit of hell at worst, we are the prime target for this sort of ridicule. It's okay to trash us. the law says so; the religious folk say so. We don't have to be given respect; we can be hated and bullied, and the perpetrators are given a free pass. In fact, in some circles they are lauded for their efforts!

That's why legislation matters, IMHO. We won't change people's opinions of us, but at least we will have some way of holding them accountable for their hate-filled actions.
    Linda

• 3. Richard Walter (soon  |  February 24, 2010 at 1:48 am

You are so right, Brian. And one of the biggest things that would help shatter the stereotypes is if all of our sports figures would come out. Ye, I am talking about the baseball players, the basketball players, he NASCAR drivers, the drag racers, the fishermen, the boat racers. EVery athlete who is LGBTQQI needs to step up to the plate and help us shatter these stereotypes.

• 4. K!r!lleXXI  |  February 24, 2010 at 2:05 am

Those who allow themselves spread comments like these are truly pathetic people who validate themselves, their "superior" sexuality and their mainstream status by bullying and trashing others — those who are allowed to be trashed — "queirdos"…

High school, anyone? It's no surprise that some people never really grow out of their high school years and their high school mentality.

I don't wanna be angry at them (though I should be), I wanna laugh at them because they are stuck in their teen days, and we are the ones who found a way to move on into adulthood and gained our manhood, the real one, the one that doesn't need any validation.

–K♥r♥ll

• 5. Felyx  |  February 24, 2010 at 2:13 am

Morning Kirill,

Athletics and intelligence are not always concurrent…super highly intelligent people are rarely super athletic….it depends on what ones focus is.

I enjoy watching athletes….but you won't catch me having a debate with one!

Love,
    Felyx

• 6. Felyx  |  February 24, 2010 at 2:16 am

Sorry, for you Kirill maybe I should say evening! Hehehehe! S lubovyu, Felyx

• 7. Richard Walter (soon  |  February 24, 2010 at 2:19 am

Amen, Kirill! I have had many an instance where someone who is homophobis would intentionally brush up against me and ten ask "How does it feel to touch a REAL man?" and my resonse to them is, "I don't know, you tell me!" And when my friends are around, this always gets them ROFL!♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
    Richard

• 8. Paul N  |  February 24, 2010 at 2:31 am

Those who cannot do teach, and those who cannot teach criticize.

The jobs of sports commentators is to explain to the rest of us what in effect is going on during the sport (in other words to teach). Their job is not to make nasty homophobic comments about the athletes performing the sport.

Homophobia is homophobia no matter what or where and has no place anywhere in society.

• 9. Michelle Evans  |  February 24, 2010 at 2:40 am

Linda is certainly right in her assessment. We all know we are treated as second class (if not lower) citizens, and that everyone who does this is told it's great to do so–after all it's written into our laws! Look at a couple of recent examples. In this case, what if the skater had been black and the commentators had said something like, "Wow, that performance was great, he certainly had a lot of rhythm, but then that's to be expected because you know they all do." These guys would have been called on the carpet in a second, and possibly been immediately fired, but since it was a gay comment, no mainstream media would have said a word and they still hold their jobs as respected sportscasters. The complaint had to come directly from the LGBT community.

Also look at the recent hate legislation signed by executive order of Virginia's governor. With the stroke of a pen he eliminated the rights of job protection on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity–a law that had already been on the books to protect us. Not one sign of outrage by anyone outside the the LGBT circles (except our staunchest media ally Rachel Maddow). Think if the governor had instead taken away job protection based on race. There would have been holy hell to pay and the law would have been rescinded in five minutes! Instead, the anti-LGBT law is allowed to stand because we aren't really people any way.

• 10. Sheryl Carver  |  February 24, 2010 at 3:11 am

At the risk of being overly sensitive, I think the comment:

"I enjoy watching athletes….but you won’t catch me having a debate with one!"

is the same sort of broad-brush putdown that we dislike so much when directed at us. The fact that this is about athletes doesn't really matter. If the sentence was changed just slightly, as in, "I enjoy watching gays in the parades, but you won't catch me playing beach volley ball with one", I think you'll see what I mean.

It's an easy thing to do, especially in spur-of-the-moment writing or speaking, & I'm sure I do it unconsciously about various categories of people myself.

My point is that we should all be aware of what we say & how we say it, especially when we mean no harm, as those words tend to slip out unnoticed.

Love to all,
    Sheryl

• 11. Felyx  |  February 24, 2010 at 3:15 am

Comment well taken, I should ammend, you won't catch me having a pointless argument with one. And for that matter that goes for anyone else that wants to an argument disguised as a debate. Sorry Sheryl…it was an oversight on my part. <3 Felyx

• 12. Bill  |  February 24, 2010 at 3:18 am

First off, I HATE figure skating. Hate might be too nice a word. It just drives me insane. But this Weir kid has been VERY PUBLICLY gay-bashed. Right out in the open. It isn't even SUBTLE for Christ's sake.

And not just once or twice, but many, many times. There was an article at change.org about it on the Gay Rights section and I quite angrily posted there a few days ago:

If you do a bit of online reading on this issue, it would appear, true to form, that MANY heterosexuals have used this an opportunity to gay-bash instead of sincerely debate.

But it is their seeming lack of embarassment at insulting our Olympic athletes that I find most telling here…

I would tell them that they should be ashamed of themsleves, but I don't want to insult shame. That's how EVIL the crap that's being said is.

But here's a thought: If you find it necessary during your life to denigrate other human beings, you certainly aren't the quality human being you think you are. If you are walking the earth making people feel WORSE about themself rather than BETTER, you are an enemy to humankind. WHy do so many heterosexuals seem to WANT to be that person?

I can't stand figure skating of ANY variety. I detest it to my very core. I say that only to say that I have no personal issue about the figure skating. But to watch heterosexuals AROUND THE WORLD publicly gay bash these men is really disgusting. On-air commentators all over the world have made ON-AIR comments that were and are meant to humiliate and degrade Weir at every turn. Imagine if on-air personalitites were saying this kind of crap about a straight hockey player. No one would tolerate it.

I feel as if I am bearing witness to a very public gay-bashing of Weir with this whole thing. And it is pissing me off to no end.

Whoever Weir is, however Weir skates, whatever Weir wears, he earned a place on our Olympic team by hard work & dedication, yet heterosexual America chooses to degrade and embarass the man for being effeminate. As if he could simply clear his throat, lower his voice, put on some clothing from Old Navy and no one would ever suspect????

I tell you this: this is disrespect of not just Weir, but of our ENTIRE community in such a vile, public manner that I have never in my life been more sure that I bat for the RIGHT team.

Heteros, we love you. But we f'ing HATE your sins, bro. We f'ing HATE your sins.

• 13. Straight Ally #3008  |  February 24, 2010 at 3:36 am

Dorothy Hamill interviews Johnny Weir.

• 14. Straight Ally #3008  |  February 24, 2010 at 3:37 am

Oops. ||||Video here.

• 15. Bill  |  February 24, 2010 at 3:46 am

I really, really feel for the kid. I truly do.

Dorothy Hamill was starting to cry as she read some of the horrible comments to Weir.

His response was priceless.

Every little boy SHOULD be lucky enough to grow up to be JUST LIKE HIM.

But you can really see the pain on his face as he hears what is being said about him.

And heterosexuals should be collectively ashamed of themselves.

So why aren't they? Really? Why AREN'T they? I would be 100% ashamed of myself if I publicly denigrated and gay-bashed an Olympic athlete. And if you don't stand up against it, you might as well be saying it yourself, I feel.

I find my reaction to this rather odd, as I said above, I just hate figure skating, but I guess I really feel how much it must hurt to be publicly gay-bashed while the world watches and does nothing.

Mr. Weir, you are in my thoughts, buddy.

But something tells me you'll laugh all the way to the bank!!!

• 16. K!r!lleXXI  |  February 24, 2010 at 3:46 am

@Felyx
    And good morning to you! In Russia it's evening, right, 9 pm now, almost 10. :)

An important remark from @Sheryl! I'm sure Felyx didn't mean it like that, but it kinda sounded like that. I always try to avoid such speech, or make it clear who are those I'm talking about. It's easy to oversee these things, but we gotta try, especially when we talk about discriminated groups of people — it hurts them most.

@Richard
    That was funny! Gotta remember that for future references! :)

• 17. Sheryl Carver  |  February 24, 2010 at 3:53 am

No apologies necessary, Felyx! From what I know of you from your posts here, you are a very decent & kind human being. Maybe I notice broad-brush statements because I say more of them than I realize. One more thing for me to work on.

I totally agree with you on avoiding pointless arguments. Total waste of time & energy, with pretty much zero chance of anyone changing their minds.

I am so glad that I've gotten to "meet" you & other great folks on this site! <3 Sheryl

• 18. K!r!lleXXI  |  February 24, 2010 at 3:59 am

@Michelle
    I wonder if there is some petition we could sign to urge the President spank that bastard of a governor in Virginia.
    Credo Action is suspiciously silent… Usually they send me reminders.
    We gotta write directly to the President. I did it once about Uganda. Never got the answer (I guess, my honesty about being Russian meant they can just delete it without an answer).

BTW, here's the link to Rachel Maddow report:
    Christianist ignorance revives discrimination in Virginia

• 19. Felyx  |  February 24, 2010 at 4:19 am

You were right to call me out. Even I need to be kept in check.
    I am not perfect you know….there was this one time I thought I made a mistake but I didn't! So it only goes to show you.

Love you Sheryl.

I hope when I move and get set up with a newer computer and a better connection I will be able to participate with all of you on FB and other sites.

I am upset furthermore because I think I am being censored by my local server….gay sites that have never been forbidden before have become so in the last three months. Sometimes I cannot even get on this site very easily….it is possible I am being paranoid but soon it won't matter. I hope to see you all sooner than later. Give it 2 or 3 months. Love you all and hope to meet many of you! Felyx

• 20. Ronnie  |  February 24, 2010 at 4:31 am

The Haterosexuals just can't get it through their thick heads that LGBTQQI people are athletes too….let alone Olympic Athletes who are suppose to be the Gods & Goddesses of athleticism…..even though these names and images are right in front of dense little faces:

Matthew Mitcham (Australia, diving-Gold Medalist)
    Judith Arndt (Germany, cycling)
    Imke Duplitzer (Germany, fencing-Silver Medalist)
    Gro Hammerseng & Katja Nyberg (Norway, handball and lesbian couple)
    Natasha Kai (USA, soccer)
    Lauren Lappin (USA, softball)
    Victoria Svwnsson (Sweden, soccer)
    Rennae Stubbs (Australia, tennis)
    Linda Bresonik (Germany,soccer)
    Robert Dover (USA, equestrian rider)
    Guenter Seidel (USA, equestrian team)
    Carl Hester (England, dressage team)
    Blyth Tait (New Zealand, horsemen)
    Rob Newton (England, Hurdler)
    Amelie Mauresmo (tennis)
    Conchita Martinez (tennis)
    Martina Navratilova (tennis)
    Johan Kenkhuis (Dutch, swimmer)
    Mark Tewksbury (Canada, swimmer)
    Ryan Miller (although not an olympian, he is a champion snow boarder)
    Greg Louganis(USA diver, came out later)
    Johnny Weir (USA, figure skating)

and I am sure there is more…but this all I know and can find right now…..

and there is the Gay Games….all openly gay athletes….we need to work on getting that aired and national TV like ABC or NBC…..show these Hateros what real athletes can do…..<3…Ronnie

• 21. Straight Ally #3008  |  February 24, 2010 at 5:08 am

Add another to the list:

Ireen Wüst (Netherlands, Gold medalist 2010, 1500 m speed skating)

• 22. Bill  |  February 24, 2010 at 5:13 am

Another example of the different set of rules for how we treat Heterosexuals and to how we treat the LGTB community.

I don't believe the on-air commentators that abused Weir publicly about HIS wardrobe and appearance were suspended.

Interesting…. Yet typical…

• 23. dieter  |  February 24, 2010 at 5:54 am

IN THE NEWS:

Effective immediately, Maryland Attorney General Douglas F. Gansler (D) has announced that Maryland will be recognizing same-sex marriages performed in other states.

Gansler ordered state agencies to begin giving gay couples the rights they have been awarded in states where same-sex marriage is legal.

• 24. Chief's Pea  |  February 24, 2010 at 5:58 am

I do have to say…. I am ashamed of the commentators who made those ugly and hateful statements.

But am I angry? Not really. I've truly begun to pity people like them. I pity them because they have no sense of genuine, unconditional love and compassion. I pity them because they will never know true peace in their hearts and souls. I pity them because, when it all comes down to those final moments of retribution, and they are asked why they hated so wholeheartedly… They will stutter and choke their way all the way to their own little fiery gates.

I personally don't believe in "hell" in the christian sense of the word, but if it does exist, they should be afraid…. They should be very very afraid.

• 25. Bill  |  February 24, 2010 at 6:08 am

Just a quick update on Miss Beverly Hills Lauren Ashley…
    I contacted the city of Beverly Hills yesterday about Lauren Ashley.

I am not 'taking credit' or saying that I was 'responsible' for the city rep speaking out against her, but as a long time resident of Beverly Hills, I simply could not stand by and watch her trash my city's good name. And making a phone call and sending an email with her remarks seems to have had an effect.

Let the fun & games begin:

• 26. Straight Grandmother  |  February 24, 2010 at 6:10 am

Really? Are you sure about this? I can hardly believe it. I am used to reading about opression and denigration, I have a hard time believing this. Like thare is an actual step forward. If it is true it probably won't last…

• 27. fiona64  |  February 24, 2010 at 6:13 am

I follow equestrian sport (I used to ride dressage) and I didn't know Guenter Siedel was gay. Of course, I also don't give a crap; that man can *ride.* (SHUT UP!!)

Love,
    Fiona

• 28. Ronnie  |  February 24, 2010 at 6:15 am

Giddy up….hhehehe….<3…Ronnie

• 29. Ronnie  |  February 24, 2010 at 6:20 am

from I just googled it didn't say that Maryland will be…but will soon be…I think maybe its a opinion from him…I don't know maybe dieter had an actual article that says diff….<3…Ronnie

• 30. dieter  |  February 24, 2010 at 6:25 am

I have an actual article!!!

There is a story at

I don't simply post my "opinions"

and now I am off to some other site where
    the talk is about gay stuff and not all religion. this site has turned into a religious argument site and that means the religious folks are getting exactly what they wanted…changing the subject and purpose of this site.
    That and I don't like being made out to be someone who makes stories up…ta-ta..
    enjoy the religious discussion forum here.

• 31. Felyx  |  February 24, 2010 at 6:29 am

It would be nice Dieter if you would provide the link.

Felyx

• 32. Bill  |  February 24, 2010 at 6:32 am

The haterosexuals are trying to HAVE THIS MAN IMPEACHED because he wrote this legal opinion.

Amazing. A man stands up to defend our Constitution and its guarantee of equal protection, and the bigots try and impeach him.

It would be funny if it wasn't so very vile and disgusting.

• 33. Ronnie  |  February 24, 2010 at 6:32 am

Oh don't be that way dieter what I meant by him I was talking about the AG from Maryland….I googled it and thats what I came up with….just post the links next time…that's all…I got yelled at when I mentioned Australia but only didn't link anything..thats all….and we having fun making fun of Carrie part 2…and this thread isn't about religion its about sports…..don't be like that dieter….<3…Ronnie

• 34. Bill  |  February 24, 2010 at 6:34 am

Here's a link to the Maryland stuff. There are good links to check out in the article, as well.

• 35. Marlene Bomer  |  February 24, 2010 at 6:52 am

Let's not forget that the USOC has allowed many organizations to use the word "Olympics" to describe their athletic competition, but sued gay Olympian Tom Waddell (decathlon, 1968) when he organized the Gay Olympics.

• 36. Felyx  |  February 24, 2010 at 7:02 am

@Richard

The article Bill posted above states that non DC residents can get married in WADC. This would appear to address an earlier question of yours.

Felyx

Good articles Bill and Dieter!

• 37. Ronnie  |  February 24, 2010 at 7:06 am

as far as I know the Gay Games was never affiliated with the Olympics it was a copyright infringement…The Special Olympics and the Paralympics are subsidiary branches of the Olympics…..<3…Ronnie

• 38. Straight Grandmother  |  February 24, 2010 at 7:14 am

Bill 3 CHEERS for YOU! I bet you were responsible and if not soley than at least a contributor. I am so glad you took action and didn't just sit on your hands and grumble about it. GOOD FOR YOU!!!

• 39. PDXAndrew  |  February 24, 2010 at 7:22 am

There used to be a competition when j was in school that had to be renamed "Oddessy of the Mind" due to impropper use of the Olympic name… Nothing about discrimination against gays.
    I like Gay Games better anyways… Sounds more fun :)
    Love, Andrew

• 40. John  |  February 24, 2010 at 7:25 am

Oh yeah, I was in that too. The name change must have been before my time, though, because I don't remember that.

• 41. Randy  |  February 24, 2010 at 7:27 am

Don't forget (now retired) Olympic figure skater Rudy Galindo.

For the record, Weir has refused to answer any and all questions regarding his sexuality, preferring to keep that information "private." It's an open secret, but he is not "officially" gay.

• 42. Randy  |  February 24, 2010 at 7:31 am

Rumor has it that the voting was fixed to keep Weir off the medal stand and out of the exhibition, despite his better performance, BECAUSE of his flamboyance.

Bless Dorothy. She's a class act, and always has been.

• 43. John  |  February 24, 2010 at 7:32 am

Actually, now that I think about it, two of the people that were on the team with me are gay. Weird coincidence.

• 44. Randy  |  February 24, 2010 at 7:33 am

Another thought… I wonder what Rudy Galindo has to say about this kerfluffle…. Rudy was openly gay when he skated in the Olympics… but his personality was never quite as flamboyant as Johnny's.

• 45. Bill  |  February 24, 2010 at 7:34 am

I been at this for many, many years. Nearly 20 years of 'active' activism…

I'd LOVE to stop. But the hate keeps coming!

Be sure to watch the video I lined at TMZ. You can clearly see as the camera guy interviews Lauren Ashley that she is only doing this for the publicity. As he is asking her about same-sex marriage, she can't even be serious. She is laughing and carrying on like someone just asked her to flash her boobs or something.

And that is what angers me most about it. NOT EVEN LAREN ASHLEY believes what she is saying. She is simply taking the stance she is to garner media attention.

• 46. Bob  |  February 24, 2010 at 7:41 am

straight grandmother, I still would like to know, where your grandchildren got married, it wasn't in Lutheran Church Wisconsin Synod.
    And I'm wondering how you deal with this, do you still attend and support the Church. thanks

• 47. Sheryl  |  February 24, 2010 at 7:42 am

Unfortunately, Richard, I don't think that would help much. I'd think it would turn out the same as the military heros who announce that they are gay. All of a sudden they are no longer a hero. The other side has a way of making sexual orientation the only thing about a person that counts. For being so "christian," they certainly have lost sight of what Jesus taught.

• 48. Ronnie  |  February 24, 2010 at 7:45 am

Lol….I just saw on abc news that their is a nudist church in Virginia…..WTF…..why aren't the Hateros going after them…..this is total BS…..uggggg….<3….Ronnie

• 49. Tigger  |  February 24, 2010 at 7:49 am

I love how some of the comments are praising her for standing up for what she believes. Well, what she believes is flat wrong, so there is no arguement and no justification.

On that note I'd like to stand up for what I believe. I believe
    1) I will have another beer, and
    2) If i ever see that woman in public, i will put on a white glove and open-hand smack her across her sanctimonious face…

• 50. fiona64  |  February 24, 2010 at 7:53 am

But then you'll have to name seconds, and she'll get to choose the weapons … and then you have to find a doctor who will stand by, and a secluded riverside spot at dawn.

I'm just sayin' …

Love,
    Fiona

• 51. Ronnie  |  February 24, 2010 at 7:56 am

that's what the hateros are trying to get at in some things….you can be gay just not be gay….wait let be rephrase that….you can be gay but not be gay…..wait…..what i'm trying to say is you can be gay but not be gay… what the F…..I mean lets put it this way….We(LGBTQQI) have the rights of freedom of speech, assembly, expression, and religion as long as we practice them the way the Hateros want us to practice them….in other words…you can do what ever you want as long as you do it our way….<3…Ronnie

• 52. Felyx  |  February 24, 2010 at 8:00 am

I hope she knows enough not to choose witty comebacks or brains as weapons….could get very messy!

Fe

• 53. Ronnie  |  February 24, 2010 at 8:17 am

So that wife beater Hiram Monserrate who was voted by the NY senate to be impeached is running for senate again…..WTF….wife beaters as senators but LGBTQQI people can't get married…..this one guy that was interviewed on abc news agreed that Hangem Manwhohate(I mean Hiram Monserrate) this jacknut represents him well……are f-ing kidding me…..he is promoting wife beating and spousal abuse…..so thats what the Hateros want their kids to aspire to be when they grow up….ok I see….enough said…..<3….Ronnie

• 54. John  |  February 24, 2010 at 8:19 am

Well, the Bible says that women are property, so it must be true.

• 55. PDXAndrew  |  February 24, 2010 at 8:30 am

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not believe Johnny has officially come out of the closet. I mean, like most everyone else, my gaydar is going off, but he hasn't confirmed it yet. Hasn't denied it either… Like Ricky Martin ornly more obvious.

Last I heard, he was being ambiguous about it:
    “There are some things I keep sacred. My middle name. Who I sleep with. And what kind of hand moisturizer I use.”
    That's his right, I guess. I can understand a celebrity's desire to keep at least some of his life private.

Now, wouldn't it be ironic if he happens to be straight?

Of course, none of that makes a darn bit of difference. He's a great athlete and the negative comments are absolutely unprofessional.
    I read that these sportscasters did make an on-air apology, but they haven't just insulted Johnny Weir, but ALL of the Olympians from all over the world.
    They should be called upon to appologize to the entire planet.

Love, Andrew

• 56. Ronnie  |  February 24, 2010 at 8:30 am

Ok so lets get back on topic….Gay athletes….

I wish Becks was gay, and Apollo Anto Ohno, and one of those Hamm twins has got to be gay….who else….QB Mark Sanchez of the Jets…..mmmm Jason Taylor from the Dolphins…..oh oh Derek Jeter…..Ugg Portuguese soccer stud Christian Ronaldo…OMG!!!…oh and surfer Kelly Slater…and tennis god Rafael Nadal….ok I'm done with that…your turn…….<3…Ronnie

• 57. G. Rod  |  February 24, 2010 at 8:31 am

got a link to this significant news.

• 58. Richard Walter (soon  |  February 24, 2010 at 8:33 am

And what about Billie Jean King? And I guess they have forgotten that most of the religious artwork in existence was created by gay men–Leonardo's "The Last Supper," Michelangelo's "Pieta," "David," Sistine Chapel, as well as the uniforms for the Pope's guard (I think they are called the Swiss Guard, but I am not sure about that. I do know that after finishing the work on the Sistine Chapel it rather pissed Michelangelo off to be asked to create those uniforms. He said something to the effect of I am an artist, not a clothing designer. He went ahead and did it anyway, but you can tell by the uniforms that it is never a good idea to piss off the queen, LOL)

• 59. John  |  February 24, 2010 at 8:37 am

And if we're going into non-athlete figures, there's any of a number of famous modern musicians as well (on a related note, I've been listening to Elton John pretty much all day so far).

• 60. Felyx  |  February 24, 2010 at 8:39 am

The bible says there are flying wheels covered with eyes with animal heads….

• 61. John  |  February 24, 2010 at 8:41 am

And it says that God will torture us for eternity if we disobey in the slightest, but it's ok because he loves us.

Say what you will about all the other inconsistencies, inaccuracies, and just plain ridiculous statements, but understanding the implications of Hell was all it took to make me leave Christianity.

• 62. G. Rod  |  February 24, 2010 at 8:47 am

Here is the AG's opinion

• 63. Felyx  |  February 24, 2010 at 8:55 am

Who would want to join a religion that would send them to hell?!!!…..

Oh yeah, a self-righteous person who KNOWS they aren't going.

Good thing the Bible doesn't say anything about self-righteousness!!!

• 64. Straight Grandmother  |  February 24, 2010 at 9:32 am

@Bob #44 WELS , err no. Our son was married in a Unitarian church, he flew in his pastor from the non denominational campus ministry church from when he was at the University, and our daughter was married in an art museum and the father of the other bride, a former Luthran pastor officiated. Our son is in DC and specifically bought a condo only in DC as he was anticipating DC permitting civil SS marriage. He's really awsome also and so is his husband. Both are under 30 yet have very senior jobs in Washington DC, I'll just say our son travels on a Diplomatic Passport. There is a different word for it, Diplomatic Passport, but i don't know what that word is but he has got a special passport. Gays are everywhere LOL the Haters should be running scared ha-ha.

I do not attend church any more but my WELS parents do every Sunday.

I'm going to try and stick to the topic as we were chastised to do right at the beginiing of this post, I really took that instruction personally. I only answered because you asked. We are supposed to be talking about gays in sports or mens ice skating I think.

• 65. Straight Grandmother  |  February 24, 2010 at 9:36 am

This kind of reminds me when everybody was after Clay Akin (Aken?) member him from American Idol. Making someones sexual orientation, when they are not bringing it up or talking about it, when the main stream press does tha,t it jsut doens't seem right to me. I can't put my finger on it, but it doesn't seem right. It is like being hounded or something.

• 66. Chief's Pea  |  February 24, 2010 at 9:42 am

Oh Felyx, surely you don't mean that the religious zealots only believe that SOME people deserve God's mercy?

SURELY you jest?!?!?!

(Personally, I think Hell will be a LOT more "fun" than the heaven "they" are going to if people like Ellen Degeneres, Johnny Weir and all of you people in it!!)

• 67. Randy  |  February 24, 2010 at 10:07 am

You are correct; he has been very deliberately unresponsive to the question.

• 68. Randy  |  February 24, 2010 at 10:07 am

FWIW, it's Aiken. :)

• 69. Felyx  |  February 24, 2010 at 10:26 am

I concur!

• 70. Marlene Bomer  |  February 24, 2010 at 11:20 am

Actually, Ronny…. afaik, the Special Olympics aren't part of the Olympic movement, but the Paralympics are.

• 71. Ronnie  |  February 24, 2010 at 11:29 am

From what I read the Special Olympics was molded directly from the Olympic games and they bought rights to use the name….<3…Ronnie

• 72. Richard Walter (soon  |  February 24, 2010 at 12:10 pm

Yes, Ronnie, you are correct, the Special Olympics was pattered after the Olympics proper, but the IOC granted them permission to use the mane Special Olympics after a very well-written letter of request from their founder, Eunice Kennedy Shriver, that also included a detailed breakdown of what events would be part of the SO and how the judging and awarding of medals would be conducted. You see, Eunice felt that discrimination against people with mental and physical challenges was wrong, and she had first hand knowledge of that due to her sister Rosemary. It will take some time tbe able to get the Gay Games retitled ahe Gay Olympics, but it will happen. And it would probably be well under way now if Eunice were still alive. After all, th Kennedys do have a history of activism, and many of the younger generation of Kennedys are in favor of marriage equality–including the first lady of California, Maria Shriver Schwarzenegger.

• 73. Richard Walter (soon  |  February 24, 2010 at 12:15 pm

felyx, after what I have heard of this young lady, it may not get messy if she chooses rains as a weapon. Especially since I don't think you are dastardly enough to engage in a battle of wits with someoe who is obviously unarmed. LOL♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
    Richard

• 74. Richard W. Fitch  |  February 24, 2010 at 1:54 pm

I'm jumping in a little late here but want to offer some humour. This tidbit from the most recent newsletter of Bishop John Shelby Spong:
    I am indebted to Butch Hancock, a musician with a group called "The Flatlanders," for this bit of wisdom from West Texas:
    "Life in Lubbock, Texas taught me two things: One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell. The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."

• 75. Richard W. Fitch  |  February 24, 2010 at 1:56 pm

…..opps – forgot to request followup……

• 76. Kathleen  |  February 24, 2010 at 3:25 pm

Johnny Weir's reaction as reported in The Washington Post: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/arti

He's sure a lot more gracious about the comments than the reporters deserve. I hope those twits are ashamed of themselves. (their mothers must be so proud (roll eyes))

• 77. fern  |  February 24, 2010 at 6:01 pm

I started work at 14, construction, tough, macho and hetero.
    To these people homosexuals live in a different world, it's only whispered about, they'll be easier on lesbians than gays and one reason is that they are women and therefore not important, on the other hand gays are an insult to men and their manhood.
    This attitude is solidly ingrained in hetero society due to 1700 years of Christendom.
    This said in my opinion the only hetero you will be able to convince are those who have some form of education/intelligence or reasoning capabilities.
    I also noticed that since Stonewall the coming out has done a lot in your favor.
    My dearest wish of course is full acceptance but I can't help being pessimistic, just look at equality for the black people and what it's done for them and the way professor Gates was treated by the police.
    I have much hope for a good outcome of this here trial and as the saying goesl; it's better to talk to God than to his Saints.

• 78. William  |  February 24, 2010 at 6:45 pm

Personally I think it's fine for the IOC to take a stand against the Gay Olympics, even allowing for the Special Olympics. Those who have mental disabilities can't compete in Olympics proper, but there have been many gay athletes who have done so. The only plausible case, I think, could be made for those who intersex, such as Caster Semenya last year, who find it difficult to compete either as male or female, but I still think it better to integrate people like her somehow into the mainstream Olympics.

• 79. William  |  February 24, 2010 at 6:49 pm

This seems ridiculous to my mind, because it's figure-skating. Some areas have life have a greater attraction for gay people, and it's pathetic when those at higher levels in such bodies get defensive. Will pop idol judges start docking points off boys who are too feminine? My mother recently annoyed a priest who's a friend of my father by saying that the Roman Catholic Church should just admit that for some reason it attracts a lot of gay people.

• 80. Ed-M  |  February 24, 2010 at 8:17 pm

Speaking of real men, it really takes BALLS be as flamboyant on that ice as Johnny Weir was. Compared to him, the judges, the two commentators from Quebec and all the rest of the hateros who dissed his sexuality and even his gender are just immature cowards who still think it's cool to bully those who are nonconformist and who they perceive can't fight back. Guess what: Johnny Weir DID fight back. And that, too, in a homophobic environment like ours takes BALLS!!! And Dorothy Hammil also has GUTS to defend him as well!!!

• 81. Ed-M  |  February 24, 2010 at 8:24 pm

Let us also not forget (now retired) Olympic Diver, Greg Louganis. Who is also HIV-psitive and went through a difficult life, including sexual assault by an ex-partner.

• 82. Ed-M  |  February 24, 2010 at 8:45 pm

You seem to be buying into the blame the victim mentality here, when the real reason is, because the judges were homophobic. If they just wanted to keep him off the stand, why put him in sixth place??? Not only did they want to deny him a medal, they also wanted to embarass him. The mentality is, you can be gay but you can't come out and you have to be butch (or femme if you're lesbian). This has to end!

• 83. Ed-M  |  February 24, 2010 at 8:51 pm

Unfortunately, athletic federation he belongs will disapprove and discriminate against anyone who's LGBTIQQ and actually comes out about their non-hetero sexuality.

• 84. K!r!lleXXI  |  February 24, 2010 at 9:41 pm

Thank you, Richard, for this quote!
    I saved it in my wisdom quotes file!
    Loved it!

• 85. Marlene Bomer  |  February 24, 2010 at 11:14 pm

William — AI's already done it!

Back on the Jan 18, 2006 episode of American Idol, the trio took great pains to ridicule and demean Zachary Travis at the auditions in Denver, CO.

Zachary was dressed androgynously, and sang a song by Whitney Houston, as Zachary ran off under the hateful "critique", the producers played the Boy George song "The Crying Game" in the background.

Appropriately, GLAAD slammed the show for its bigotry and demanded an apology.

• 86. Ronnie  |  February 25, 2010 at 1:08 am

Here is a little vid from these 3 cool chick called "Sports Babes"…it is from 2007 but they talk about Gay/Lesbian athletes coming out…..<3…Ronnie

• 87. Ronnie  |  February 25, 2010 at 6:29 am

Here is the video from Johnny's press conference from the Associated Press…..<3…Ronnie

• 88. JQ  |  February 26, 2010 at 10:20 am