Beyond DADT

Uncategorized

by Brian Leubitz

While the military, President Obama, and the Congress dither about eliminating Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell, there are other questions looming on the horizon for the military. It is only a matter of time at this point with public opinion polls showing 70% support for repeal. But beyond that, once DADT is eliminated, how will same-sex partners be treated?

If gay service members are allowed to serve openly, the military will face another tough question: Should gay partners be entitled to military benefits? …

Since the draft ended in 1973, spousal benefits have increasingly been used as an incentive to recruit and retain an effective force. Today, more than half of all troops sport a wedding ring. Benefits for married service members include college tuition for a spouse and the right of a spouse to be at a wounded service member’s bedside. Spouses also have access to military health care and commissaries worldwide, and married service members receive better housing and even extra pay when they go to war.

The ticket to qualifying for those benefits is a marriage certificate. Heterosexual couples have a choice whether to marry, but same-sex marriages are legal in only five states and Washington, D.C. Whether same-sex partnerships would be recognized by the military and what benefits might be afforded gay couples would become issues if the ban were lifted.(AP)

Of course, the “Family” Research Council and other right wing groups apparently think that the military is just totally incapable of dealing with these issues. And so rather than acting like adults and addressing the issues before us, and treating our troops equally, they argue that we just shouldn’t even mess with Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell. Because, you know, troops who are lying about who they are do wonders for morale and unit cohesion.

And this is where DADT collides head-on with DOMA. Under DOMA, the federal government cannot recognize same-sex unions. So, the military, if DOMA is applied, would be unable to grant the same type of benefits. So, the net result is that we allow gays and lesbians to serve openly, and then tell them that their relationships just aren’t as important, to recruitment or retention, or to the general welfare of the specific soldier or the military in general.

Of course, if a facial challenge to DOMA was launched, which the Prop 8 trial is not, there are some serious questions about its constitutionality. In recent times there has never been a law that allowed states to so clearly ignore the “full faith and credit” clause of the constitution. Traditionally, the law has required contracts and other legal provisions to be honored in other states. Its what allows us to move states and not have to start our lives all over again. But for our community, that is not the case.

President Obama has pledged to repeal both DOMA and DADT. He needs to put some of his newly recovered political capital on the line for a bit of good ol’ fashioned constitutional justice.

• 1. Harriet Forman  |  March 26, 2010 at 1:02 am

I believe that one of these days, the house of cards of DADT and DOMA will fall. I hope it's sooner, but even if it's later, it will fall. Time is on our side.

• 2. Mike  |  March 26, 2010 at 1:24 am

Amen to that last sentence, Brian. My husband and I have been in a civil union in NJ since they started them (but we have been married in our eyes for 7 years). My husband served in the military for 23 years and just recently retired. There are so many great spousal benefits that I just don't have access to because we are same sex partners. It's really sad, what with all the extra tax burden and legal fees we have just to try to make our family safe. That military ID card (that I can't get) gives so many benefits. Getting those could really make our life a little easier. Next on the list though…. social security.

• 3. Dan Hess  |  March 26, 2010 at 1:58 am

Actually, this is rather hilarious. Once they repeal DADT (and they pretty much have to at this point), there's no way anyone can justify keeping DOMA because the plight of gay soldiers in committed relationships will be far too obvious for the government to just shrug off. The federal government will HAVE to recognize gay marriage, and even if they don't, it pulls up even more clout for the eventual US Supreme Court case. We're going to win, ladies and gentlemen, and there's nothing these pathetic bigots can do to stop us.

• 4. Dan Hess  |  March 26, 2010 at 2:00 am

Oh, and don't think we allies won't be protesting anyway just because we know you're going to win. I'll be at every rally in the Baltimore-D.C. area and probably yelling louder than everyone else. ^_^

• 5. Kathleen  |  March 26, 2010 at 2:08 am

I'm pretty sure this issue is one of the things that's being looked at in the "study" of how to repeal DADT being undertaken, don't you think? I know the leaders might seem a bit thick, but I'm sure this has occurred to them.

• 6. Sagesse  |  March 26, 2010 at 2:09 am

The whole LGBT rights space is a house of cards… an overlapping maze of federal and state legislation, often contradictory. It makes sense on one level to dismantle the layers of discrimination incrementally. Can't see the Obama administration taking on all the issues simultaneously… hate crimes (done), ENDA, DADT, DOMA… each needing its own separate legislation and catfight.

The elephant in the room on DADT repeal has always been DOMA. In return for risking their lives for their country, service members have always been offered generous support resources, financial and otherwise, for their families while on active service and for the rest of their lives after retirement.

LGBT service members of course can't take advantage of those benefits now; but even after repeal, DOMA would still deny access to the families of LGBT service members. I don't think the government or the military has a clue how to deal with that reality, or what a practical plan would be. Okay, now you can serve openly, but your family is out in the cold because, let's face it, you're still a lesser human being? Nice.

The silence from those promoting repeal as to how this should be addressed is deafening. Presumably the draft bills say nothing about it?

• 7. Richard A. Walter (s  |  March 26, 2010 at 2:49 am

Yes, he does, Brian. And we cannot stop fighting for full equality until we have won on all grounds–not just DADT, not just GENDA (and this must be all-inclusive WRT gender identity and expression), not just DOMA, but ALL of these, and any other discriminatory legislation that oppresses us.

• 8. Ronnie  |  March 26, 2010 at 3:01 am

Again here's a simple solution…..ummmm….until Marriage is Legal in all states….you recognize what is legal…..Marriage, DP's, CU's and treat all as equal in terms of benefits…..JUST DO IT!!!!!……as for those who are not married or in DP's or CU's and are just in a relationship or dating….you treat them the same as you would hetero couples……with respect…..IT REALLY IS THAT SIMPLE…..<3…Ronnie

• 9. Waxr  |  March 26, 2010 at 3:10 am

I believe in getting one thing done at a time. Getting health care passed was a big victory for Obama. Now he can get behind other issues. Currently, the repeal of DADT good, but the Republicans can attack it on the benefits issue and DOMA. Obama also has to worry about maintaining an effective majority of Democrats in Congress, or he won't be able to do anything.

Personally, I hope that Congress passes the repeal of DADT. Then even if the Republicans gain control over congress, they will find it hard to oppose military benefits to same-sex partners, and to keep DOMA.

BTW: Midterm elections generally favor the party out of the White House. So expect the Democrats to lose some of their majority, but not all of it.

• 10. Waxr  |  March 26, 2010 at 3:14 am

That would require the federal government to recognize same sex marriages, which DOMA does not allow them to do.

DOMA will have to go.

• 11. Ronnie  |  March 26, 2010 at 3:21 am

No they should JUST DO IT!!!!…..no allow…..just do it….If a gay married couple lives in a state where it is legal they are entitled to all the benefits of married a couple with in that state….they are married….treat them as if they are married…..JUST DO IT!!!!!……<3….Ronnie

• 12. Ronnie  |  March 26, 2010 at 3:22 am

Bu true sort of….not DOMA will have to go…..DOMA WILL GO!!!!!…..<3…Ronnie

• 13. David Kimble  |  March 26, 2010 at 3:22 am

[youtube =http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sRGi4UFqj8&hl=en_US&fs=1&]

I thought this was a good place to post this one – the movie is called Solidier's Girl and is based on a true story of Calpurnia Adams (Transgendered now) and Barry Winchell, who was brutally murdered for dating Calpurnia. <3 David

• 14. Mike L.  |  March 26, 2010 at 3:23 am

I think it is as Sagesse said, ENDA then DADT, DOMA so on and so forth.

Hopefully when the Prop8 trial heads to the Supremes they'll recognize that same-sex marriage is a civil right, and make it legal in all States or at least in CA where then other states can follow suit with that precedent.

An anti-Prop8 victory will speed-up teh repeal of DOMA as will DADT being repealed.

I really hope DOMA is passed this year, everyone deserves the right to work, to safe shelter etc everyone. Hopefully this will help a lot of trans ppl a lot more as I think they suffer much more in comparison with LGB's especially the part where they have it hard to find work b/c of all the fear mongering regarding bathrooms or whatever.

Also I wish there was an organization solely ment to help LGBT youth, and another for LGBT elders. I really hope that when DADT and DOMA are repealed and ENDA is passed there can be a lot more money and works can be focused on helping those I mentioned b/c until that is done there just wont be enough.

Also after that we could mount an effort to stop conversion therapies like there are efforts to do that in Spain b/c the children are the onces who end up damaged more than adults I think, and also something done to stop parents from psychologically damge their kids with that sort of stuff. But that may be much much later. There is just so much stuff that we'll be able to do after DADT DOMA ENDA are taken care of.

• 15. David Kimble  |  March 26, 2010 at 3:24 am

oops, I misspelled her name – it is Calpernia Adams. <3 David

• 16. Ronnie  |  March 26, 2010 at 3:27 am

I love that movie….. I posted it awhile back….along with another video of the interviews with the real Calpernia and Barry's mother and some more people that were involved……must see movie…..<3….Ronnie

• 17. dieter  |  March 26, 2010 at 3:27 am

it doesn't matter…because according to the religious nuts…Dec. 21, 2012 is the end of the world.

lol.

• 18. David Kimble  |  March 26, 2010 at 3:27 am

At Mike L. – there are quite a number of organizations for gay youth, PFLAG and Rainbow Bridge, but I don't believe there are that many for older gays, unless you happen to live in a large community, like LA or SF. <3 David

• 19. Waxr  |  March 26, 2010 at 3:27 am

The problem with such studies is that they always come up with more problems as to why it can't be done, than they come up with solutions on how it can be done.

The best way is to skip the study and just do it. The problems will work themselves out.

The most common objection is straights and open gays showering together. Yet, in high schools and colleges all over the country, straights and open gays have been showering together with no problem.

• 20. David Kimble  |  March 26, 2010 at 3:30 am

Yeah, I have been aware of December 21 for sometime. The date actually origniates from the Mayans, who kept a long count and short count calendar. It is amazing how the religious nuts always seem to find doom, wherever they look! <3 David

• 21. Mike L.  |  March 26, 2010 at 3:32 am

Lets just hope that Palin doesn't win the election b/c truely it might happen HAHAHA!!!

Yeah those Evangelical Nihilists are some funny bunch. Making wars and not caring about the planet b/c well it will end soon anyway screwing everyone else I guess, no peace in the world.

True comment, I used to work for a couple of Evangelicals who told me that there can not be peace in the world, b/c that means the end of the world is here and the beast is in power.

Maybe that's why they start wars and protect Israel b/c they believe Israel will be attacked by all nations and that's when Jesus will come back.

• 22. David Kimble  |  March 26, 2010 at 3:32 am

Yeah, I agree Ronnie. I first saw the movie on Showtime and then decided to buy the DVD – a movie I couldn't live wtihout – ya know! (chuckles) The clip is the trailer from the movie – the movie really nails DADT and DOMA for what they are – discrimination! <3 David

• 23. David Kimble  |  March 26, 2010 at 3:35 am

Well, that's just sick logic, since they believe in a man that will supposedly return to Earth to save their butts! BTW, my latest book is partially about man and what he has done to the planet – Look for it soon on amazon.com – I will let everyone know, when it is available. <3 David

• 24. Mike L.  |  March 26, 2010 at 3:39 am

I know there are groups, but truely is not enough to help All those that are coming out at even younger ages, and those that are coming out at much older ages or who have to go back in the closet for fear of discrimination from senior homes, hospitals etc.

That's why when DADT, DOMA, ENDA and some other things are taken care of our community can bring much more help to more of those who need it, Like we need advocates in each State and in some in each city for seniors and children there will be a lot more that can be done that will be done for them. Also there could be fundraisings for organizations who help parents of trans children with surgery costs, etc. A lot a lot more will be done when we can shift our monetary help in other directions when DOMA DADT ENDA are taken care of.

• 25. cc  |  March 26, 2010 at 4:19 am

I’m sorry, I might be confused but just a while back didn’t the Obama administration defend DOMA! In doing so they compared the LGBT to pedophilia and incestuous relationships. That doesn’t give me much faith especially when they didn’t even have to defend it in the first place.

• 26. Evan  |  March 26, 2010 at 4:39 am

Just tear the band-aid really fast. It may hurt at first, but it's a lot better than doing it slowly. You find in the end that it wasn't so bad after all. It's all the anxiety leading up to it that's hell!

• 27. Jorge  |  March 26, 2010 at 5:13 am

Wow. Yahoo just put up this same story from AP.

• 28. chris  |  March 26, 2010 at 5:17 am

"The problem with such studies is that they always come up with more problems as to why it can’t be done, than they come up with solutions on how it can be done."

That's the whole POINT. That's exactly what the anti-repeal folks want. Doesn't anyone else but me realize that the whole purpose of this "study" is to build a case against repealling DADT? Isn't it interesting that everyone who spoke against repeal is in favor of this year-long charade? Just look at what members of this study group said. "We need to assess the impacts that lifting the ban will have on retention, recruitment, unit cohesion, morale, housing, etc." They are LOOKING for as many reasons as they can for why open fags shouldn't serve. DUH And we need to be vigilant and scrutinize any "conclusions" that they come to and put them on notice that we are watching them. If they hadn't made up their minds already, they could look at the dozen other studies that have already been done or talk to our allies. But no. They want to build a case against repeal. Nothing more.

• 29. Michelle Evans  |  March 26, 2010 at 5:21 am

David said "(Transgendered now)" when talking about Calpernia, and I wanted to clear up any misconception about that thought. A transgender person is transgender person from the moment we are born. This is never something we just decide to do, and it does not mean you are trans only when you decide to transition.

I have been transgender all my life, but hiding that fact by not transitioning is what almost cost me my life. For all those decades when I suffered from testosterone poisoning and had to try and pass as a male, nothing changed the fact that I am, and always have been, female.

If anyone is interested, I had a monthly column for a while and have many essays I wrote on this subject about what it means to be transgender. Hopefully these columns may clear up many misconceptions about being trans. They are all archived on my web site at:

And yes, Soldier's Girl is an amazing movie and a great case study about what hatred and bigotry can do to LGBT people. I've had the opportunity to meet and talk with Calpernia on several occasions, and she is a wonderful and caring person, especially considering all the pain she went through because of this story and her life being trans.

• 30. Michelle Evans  |  March 26, 2010 at 5:22 am

Actually, the real reason that the calendar ended for them in 2012 was simple: They ran out of rock! :-)

• 31. Tim  |  March 26, 2010 at 5:42 am

Michelle
    Thank You, That is one subject I wanted to understand more. I will read all of your essays!

• 32. Ed-M  |  March 26, 2010 at 5:49 am

And we will still have to keep fighting until the last of the homophobic religions either change their ways… or go out of business due to lack of customers.

• 33. Michelle Evans  |  March 26, 2010 at 5:53 am

Tim,

Thanks for wanting to read my essays on being transgender. Please always feel free to ask any questions about this, as I will always try to answer as best I can. You can alw2ays drop me a line through my web site, if needed.

On a related note: I will be out of town starting Sunday morning, for the next several weeks, and don't know how much access I will have to this site while I am away. I will miss all the great dialogue that has occurred here and look forward to getting back on board once I return.

All of you here (with a few certain exceptions such as Melissa!) have been absolutely fantastic to talk with and share this important time in LGBT history.

Take care.

• 34. Bill  |  March 26, 2010 at 5:54 am

It's not only SAD, Mike, it is Unconstitutional, as well.

Mostly, to me, it speaks to the heterosexual's INTENTION to abuse their gay children. From cradle to grave.

• 35. Bill  |  March 26, 2010 at 5:55 am

There is no 'study' unless 'study' has been redefined as 'stall tactics.'

• 36. Kathleen  |  March 26, 2010 at 6:05 am

We'll miss you Michelle. Let us know when you get back!

• 37. Bill  |  March 26, 2010 at 6:05 am

Thanks for that, Michelle.

I have been active in the fight for LGTB rights for over 20 years now, and I have always had a special place in my heart for trans people. I am not trans myself, yet have always felt that the trans community is where REAL understanding can be achieved.

Surely there exists no stronger human being on this earth than a trans person and I can only imagine, nope, scratch that, I can't EVEN imagine the abuse that is doled out to trans people. I was abused daily as a child, and so I guess maybe I respond to trans people's pain and the abuse they receive even more so than the abuse I have suffered as a gay citizen.

Mostly what has always amazed me about people's reactions to trans people is that it seems fairly obvious to any educated human being that a trans person is not choosing to be trans, that is just how they ARE.

When people start up with the whole 'it's a choice' bullshit, what they are really saying is that they have to BELIEVE it is a choice. Otherwise they would not be able to participate in such vile abuse. But by 'blaming' a trans person's condition on the trans person as 'a choice' it somehow allows those abusive heterosexuals FURTHER reason to abuse. And without guilt or shame in doing so. That is why I find it so vile that heterosexuals present this as an issue of morality. While participating in the abuse of their LGTB children. Indeed, who would look to an abusive heterosexual for moral instruction?

Anyhow, thank you for being so open. It can't be easy.

But I'll bet it's FABULOUS to be who you are!!!

God Bless you, Michelle.

Love,
    Bill

• 38. Michelle Evans  |  March 26, 2010 at 6:28 am

Bill, et al,

Your comments were really wonderful and thank you for sharing. I just read them to my wife, Cherie, and she was also moved by your thoughts.

I have often heard about how supposedly courageous it is to be open about being trans, and to undergo transition. I certainly don't see it that way. I feel it was a tradeoff of either transitioning or of succeeding the second time I tried to commit suicide. Unfortunately, way too many people are not able to make it that far, and succeed in leaving this life that has become too painful. Just four months ago, my friend and mentor, Christine, succeeded in doing just that. I will miss her terribly.

Since I know that I will never pass well (or go stealth, as some people call it), I figured I might as well try to work toward educating people about the subject, thus the reason I do my essays and also my talks at colleges, and places like that. My favorite place to do these talks is that I am part of a group of very neat people who attend each class going through the Orange County Sheriff's Academy to share our experiences and concerns with them. We all feel that law enforcement is the one place we absolutely need more understanding, so I consider this the most important talk I do.

A person such as Calpernia is someone I truly admire because of the fact that she could go stealth, and instead chose not to do so, and to help others like her. She doesn't have to do that. She could easily blend in and never have to worry about the hatred so many of us in LGBT suffer through each day. She has my deep gratitude for her courage, that I only wish I had. And all the people here on this site have that same courage because you make a real difference by just being who we are and talking to others in our everyday lives.

• 39. David Kimble  |  March 26, 2010 at 6:57 am

Thanx, Michelle! You are truly an amazing person! BTW, I understood what it means to be transgendered, since I have a high school friend, who is now transgendered. From her perspective, (now Danielle), she explained it in the same terms, as you Michelle.
    <3 David

• 40. Monty  |  March 26, 2010 at 7:02 am

Too bad they don't understand logic. One simple question would bring all their activities crashing to the ground: "What if you're wrong?"

• 41. bJason  |  March 26, 2010 at 7:05 am

This is why we must press for ALL of these things THIS YEAR. The bills to do these things are floating around. If Dems. lose control this go 'round, we lose for who knows how long!!! I'm getting tired of waiting. I'm tired of empty promises. Dems. WILL NOT make anything happen unless we FORCE it – they are too concerned with keeping their seats. We must convince them that part of the reason they have those seats is the promises they made to us IN EXCHANGE FOR the money we gave them!!!!!

STOP ALL CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE DEMS. UNTIL THEY MAKE GOOD ON THEIR PROMISES!!!

MAKE NOISE. SHOW UP. CHAIN YOURSELF to the proverbial FENCE!

Many say that change is inevitable. I DISAGREE. When (NOT IF) the Repugs regain any power WE ARE THROUGH.

If the laws are changed, the courts won't be necessary.

We have to MAKE them STFU and just DO IT!!!

• 42. gew  |  March 26, 2010 at 7:16 am

Who knew that the "leaders" of the so-called bestest and bravestest armed forces in the world are so afraid of teh geyh. Wussies.

• 43. truthspew  |  March 26, 2010 at 7:26 am

And I think the day will come sooner than later. I liken the movement to the snowball rolled down the mountain. By the time you get to the base it's a humongous ball of snow and ice.

• 44. Bob  |  March 26, 2010 at 8:26 am

Oh what a tangled web we weave!!!!!!

I'm with Dan Choi, bring preasure to bear on the president, just end DADT, do it now while we're waiting for the prop8 wheels to turn ever so slowly, maybe that's in our favour if you think of it, all out attack on Obama to end DADT,

I agree, anything else is a stall tactic, peel off the bandage, open that festering wound, let the fresh air and sunshine do it's job, after so long under layers of laws supporting discrimination.

I guess the question is, how would Obama abolish, DADT, maybe he does have to be the new messiah. (abolish the old laws)

Really though it's a question, does he have the power to do that by himself, or does he have to shove it down their throats like he did with health reform.
    Guess it really doesn't matter, he gave Dan Choi his marching orders, bring pressure to bear on him.

Richard, I like your plan for the equality march.

Michelle, salute to you, I'm going to learn some things from your site

• 45. Michelle Evans  |  March 26, 2010 at 8:39 am

Since we're discussing LGBT in the military, I wanted to let you know that a friend of mine recently did a small article that is in the April issue of Blade magazine (pg 14-15). It is called "OC Vets Out and Proud." Myself, and a couple of friends are profiled in the story. I looked online but they still have the March issue listed there, but the printed version is in various places around Los Angeles, Long Beach, and Orange County if anyone happens to see it.

• 46. Kathleen  |  March 26, 2010 at 8:45 am

9th Circuit has issued a stay of the discovery order for ACLU/EQCA, pending appeal.

"Appellants’ emergency motion for a stay of the district court’s March 22, 2010 order pending appeal is granted.

Appellants’ motion to expedite the appeal will be addressed by separate order."

From here: http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/
    (see under "Cases of Interest" filed 3/26/09)

• 47. Ronnie  |  March 26, 2010 at 9:00 am

Posted on Advocate.com March 26, 2010
    Conway Wants Gay and Straight Troops Segregated
    By Ryan Holman

"I would not ask our Marines to live with someone that is homosexual if we can possibly avoid it," Conway said in the Thursday interview. "And to me that means we have to build BEQs [bachelor enlisted quarters] and have single rooms."

(me) ummmmm……I have fully lost any respect for most of the higher ups of our USA armed forces…..and feel that we are no more protected by them then we would be by a puppy shitzu……separate barracks?…..really?……..BEQ's?……really?…..really?……..soooooo….. you are another one who seems to think that are no gay people already serving and that your marines are not already living with someone who is homosexual?…….really?……..REALLY?!!!……<3…Ronnie

• 48. Richard A. Walter (s  |  March 26, 2010 at 9:04 am

What rock is HE living under? He definitely is not out in the field. And I would bet that secretly he wishes he had a boyfriend. You know what they say, the one who cries the loudest is usually the one who is the guiltiest of the charge he is crying out!

• 49. Ronnie  |  March 26, 2010 at 9:06 am

love you Michelle E…….kisses…..will miss you……kisses more…..You're one of my goddesses…..I have told you that before….but I say it again…..kisses even more….travel safe….I would say bring back gifts….but stories are gift enough…..kisses even moreerer…..xoxoxoxx……<3….Ronnie

• 50. Straight Ally #3008  |  March 26, 2010 at 11:05 am

He's mad because James Cameron totally based Col. Quaritch in Avatar on him.

• 51. Richard A. Walter (s  |  March 26, 2010 at 11:20 am

Michelle, I will also miss you, and I hope to meet you at some point soon, and would also like to meet Calpenia. I truly hoe she has never blamed herself for what those moronic individuals who impersonate human beings did to Barry.

• 52. Richard A. Walter (s  |  March 26, 2010 at 11:24 am

Bob, if you are on FB, get with me through the P8TT group there and friend me. Then I can invite you to the Equality Rides group. The more follks we get there and the sooner we get them, the sooner we can plan this and set definite starting dates for each area based on travel times so that we all hit Washington DC at the same time.

• 53. fern  |  March 26, 2010 at 2:32 pm

and this was my comment yesterday, of course Brussels is 9 hours ahead of California, we're ahead for many other things too as we have SSM since 2003 (I'm gloating here).

78. fern | March 26, 2010 at 8:25 am

I was surprised to read in a yahoo-AP article, that the end of DADT is more complicated because of the benefits and privileges allowed to the spouse in the military it looked like the writer never thought of the privileges involved. It is true I never read much about gay mentioning these benefits whereas to me they seemed the most important.

As for mixed Mixon, the military is split between 80% pencil pushers and 20% fighters and only the pencil pushers have so much time on their hands they can afford to be biased. Under fire there’s no racism or homophobia.

And yes the sky started falling when SSM came up here, but I held it up…

• 54. Richard W. Fitch  |  March 27, 2010 at 11:45 am

The ramifications of repealing DADT and the subsequent fall of the rest of the House of Cards are tremendous. One case that many are is Lisa Miller v Janet Jenkiins for the custody of their now nearly 9 y/o daughter. Lisa was able to venue shop and go to VA where SSM is not legal. Once DADT collapses it will surely pull down DOMA with it. Then every state will be required to recognize CU/DP/SSM granted by any state even though it may not currently be on the books in that spefic state. Let's watch all this level out – the sooner the better.

• 55. Marlene Bomer  |  March 28, 2010 at 1:25 am

I also am a trans activist.

I have a weekly internet radio show on trans issues called "TransTalk" which is on every Monday from 4-5pm at http://www.falconradio.org

There are segments on TransHistory, TransNews and TransTunes along with a topic of the week my co-hosts and I talk about.

• 56. K!r!lleXXI  |  April 2, 2010 at 8:51 am

We all see and we all know that the ongoing discrimination of LGBTQQIA folks is not just uncalled for, is not just for no good reason… it is also a huge mess they've created out of their unfounded prejudices formed millennia ago. The mess in the heads of religious leaders creates the mess in the heads of their followers; the mess in people's heads creates the mess in legislation — and this is where we see how stupid it all looks like when we treat people differently and deny them their inborn rights.

The more those bigots hold on to this rotten discriminatory legislation, the more they look like children throwing tantrums for no good reason, not adults… We are sick of having to deal with those children! We are adults and we are here to make decisions if those children are incapable to do so rationally and in sound and sober mind!

–Kirill, Russia