Welcome to the NOM Tour Tracker: Is NOM coming to your home town?

NOM Tour Tracker Right-wing

By Eden James

On January 10, 2010, the Courage Campaign Institute launched the Prop 8 Trial Tracker to cover Perry v. Schwarzenegger as well as hold the right-wing accountable as the case evolved. More than 2.3 million views and 36,036 comments later, we’re still going strong as we await Judge Vaughn Walker’s pending verdict.

Now, we’re launching a sequel of sorts — the NOM Tour Tracker — as a new feature of this web site and for the community that has gathered here. As we told you on Monday, the infamous National Organization for Marriage is launching a “Summer for Marriage: One Man, One Woman” tour across America. Along with our friends at Freedom to Marry and numerous local and statewide LGBT rights organizations, we’ll be following NOM’s tour for the next month.

Danny Segura, Outreach Coordinator for Courage, and videographer Robert Oliver have flown across the country to follow every moment of the first leg of the NOM tour, starting in Augusta, Maine today at 12 pm ET. We don’t know what our intrepid staffers will discover about NOM’s tour along the way, but we are going to do everything we can to make the sure the same organization that aired the outrageous “Gathering Storm” TV ad is held accountable for what they say and do on this tour.

At each tour stop, Danny and Robert will meet up with volunteers and organizers on the ground in each community and provide first-hand updates. Soon, other Courage staff will join the tour to:

• Mobilize Courage members in various communities to organize their own events at each tour stop in support of marriage equality, in collaboration with local organizations
  • Collect the “testimony” of people and families impacted by the lack of full equality in America
  • Organize and present live reenactments of the Prop 8 trial, which you’ll see on our Equality on Trial website

If you like what we’re doing, please click here to chip in a few dollars to help cover our NOM Tour Tracker costs, from travel expenses to video editing.

Check back here often to find out what we’re doing on the tour and how you can get involved. And, of course, if your primary interest is the federal Prop 8 trial, this site will continue to provide the coverage and analysis you’ve come to expect from our team, including Robert Cruickshank, Rick Jacobs, Brian Leubitz and Paul Hogarth.

Meanwhile, if you want to know if the fear-mongering folks from NOM are coming to your home town, click below for a list of tour locations and dates…

NOM’s “SUMMER FOR MARRIAGE” TOUR SCHEDULE

Augusta, Maine

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 from 12:00pm – 1:00pm
Capitol Park (across street from State House)
Augusta, ME 04330

Indianapolis, Indiana

Monday, July 26, 2010 from 12:00pm – 1:00pm
State House, East Steps
Indianapolis, IN 46204

Madison, Wisconsin

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 from 12:00pm – 1:00pm
State House, (State Street entrance)
Madison, WI 53702

Saint Paul, Minnesota

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 from 12:00pm – 1:00pm
Minnesota State Capitol
St. Paul, MN 55155

Saint Cloud, Minnesota

Thursday, July 29, 2010 from 12:00pm – 1:00pm
Granite City Baptist Church
1425 Country Road 134
St. Cloud, MN 56303

Rochester, Minnesota

Friday, July 30, 2010 from 12:00pm – 1:00pm
Rochester, MN (Location TBD)

Des Moines, Iowa

Sunday, August 1, 2010 from 2:00pm – 3:00pm
State Capitol
Des Moines, IA 50319

Sioux City, Iowa

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 from 12:00pm – 1:00pm
Sioux City, IA (Location TBD)

St. Louis, Missouri

Thursday, August 5, 2010 from 12:00pm – 1:00pm
St. Louis, MO (Location TBD)

Atlanta, Georgia

Saturday, August 7, 2010 from 2:00pm – 3:00pm
State Capitol (Washington Street side)
Atlanta, GA 30334

Tampa, Florida

Sunday, August 8, 2010 from 2:00pm – 3:00pm
Tampa, FL (Location TBD)

Raleigh, North Carolina

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 from 12:00pm – 1:00pm
Raleigh, NC (Location TBD)

Charleston, West Virginia

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 from 12:00pm – 1:00pm
Charleston, WV (Location TBD)

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

Friday, August 13, 2010 from 12:00pm – 1:00pm
Harrisburg, PA (Location TBD)

Washington, DC

Sunday, August 15, 2010 from 2:00pm – 3:00pm
U.S. Capitol Steps or Freedom Plaza
Washington, D.C.

Tags:

• 1. Ķĭŗîļĺę&  |  July 14, 2010 at 1:17 am

Show NOM we don't need their lies in our home towns!

• 2. Sagesse  |  July 14, 2010 at 1:18 am

People have speculated on how NOM chose the itinerary for its tour. For the most part,A lot of these look like states where NOM sees an emerging ballot box or legislative move toward marriage equality in the next little while. Except that marriage equality doesn't seem to be a particularly hot topic in Missouri, Georgia, North Carolina, West Virginia and Florida?? Am I missing something?

• 3. Lightning Baltimore  |  July 14, 2010 at 1:23 am

Will there be a separate URL for the NOM Tour Tracker? I'd love to add it to my blogroll, like the Prop 8 Trial Tracker.

• 4. Ķĭŗîļĺę&  |  July 14, 2010 at 1:23 am

@Sagesse
    In North Carolina all the attempts to ban same-sex marriages with ballot initiatives amending the state Constitution were thrown away, though NC has a statute-like DOMA.  This means the legislature understands that this whole thing will blow over soon, so they don't want to make it worse before it gets better.  On the other hand, they are not trying to bring marriage equality either.  They simply wait for the Supreme Court to make the decision for them.  However, the politicians themselves are mostly in support of equal rights and marriage equality.

Speaking as a future North Carolinian :)

• 5. Ķĭŗîļĺę&  |  July 14, 2010 at 1:25 am

@Lightning Baltimore
    There is only a tag here that will collect all posts of this blog about this tour.

• 6. Lightning Baltimore  |  July 14, 2010 at 1:26 am

Maybe they've chosen cities where they expect to get a large turnout, so they can look better?

I'm sure they'll get plenty of protestors in Atlanta; they don't call us the "Gay Capital of the South" for nothing.

• 7. Lightning Baltimore  |  July 14, 2010 at 1:26 am

Right, but blogger won't recognize it as a feed, so it won't allow me to add it.

• 8. Ķĭŗîļĺę&  |  July 14, 2010 at 1:30 am

You can always subscribe for new posts from P8TT to be delivered to you via email right away, so you could see for yourself if it has anything to do with the tour. Or, look for NOM's blog/site, or other sites. I wouldn't either blow it out of proportion as to creating new sites for that specific purpose.

• 9. Lightning Baltimore  |  July 14, 2010 at 1:35 am

I've been subscribed for new post e-mails for months.

^_^

I have the Prop 8 Trial Tracker in my blogroll, too, and it'd be nice to be able to include a NOM Tour Tracker, as well.

• 10. John B.  |  July 14, 2010 at 2:52 am

What a shame, it looks like they have deleted all comments other Flickr users made on the photos in their Flickr album:

• 11. fern  |  July 14, 2010 at 2:58 am

Laughing being the best medicine, why don't you people make them look ridiculous each time they come out.

• 12. nightshayde  |  July 14, 2010 at 3:00 am

Heh — some of the comments were rather rude.

Of course, travelling around the country telling people they're not good enough to have rights equal to other people is awfully freakin' rude…

• 13. Lightning Baltimore  |  July 14, 2010 at 3:02 am

Ha!

The wussbags have turned off comments.

• 14. fiona64  |  July 14, 2010 at 3:06 am

They already look ridiculous; IMO, all our community of LGBTQIA people need to do is look like the sane, intelligent people that we know ourselves to be.

Love,
    Fiona

• 15. Rob Tisinai  |  July 14, 2010 at 3:12 am

Here's a chance to see how the trial looks from THEIR point of view. :)

• 16. Richard A. Walter (s  |  July 14, 2010 at 3:13 am

Yes, they are coming near my hometown, and there are some of us here who are trying to gather a good turnout. Have someone please get in touch with me about what I can do. I have plenty of time, I just need to know what we need to do.
    Leave a comment on my blog or pm me at FB. I will find out about it as soon as you make contact in either of those ways.

• 17. Jose Arche  |  July 14, 2010 at 3:25 am

What?! They're not coming to Utah? That's a shocker.

• 18. Eden James  |  July 14, 2010 at 3:39 am

Yes, you can access the site as well from:

or the category URL here at:

Eden w/ Courage

• 19. Stacey  |  July 14, 2010 at 3:39 am

I am just stunned they're not coming to Mississippi, too.

• 20. Stop Asking Permissi  |  July 14, 2010 at 3:41 am

be careful they are accusing gay activists of puncturing a tire on their tyrannical theocRAT tour bus and threatening protesters http://louisjmarinelli.blogspot.com/

• 21. illek  |  July 14, 2010 at 3:52 am

I find it strange that they don't have California on their tour with all the Prop 8 challenges we've been having. If they do come here, they can expect a LARGE counter protest :)

• 22. Richard W. Fitch  |  July 14, 2010 at 4:04 am

They are scheduled for Indianapolis, but I'm not sure I can stomach seeing them.

• 23. Michelle Evans  |  July 14, 2010 at 4:15 am

I posted this comment on that site:

Like many Americans, I was raised with a religious background (my grandfather was a very prominent minister). Over the years I eventually found the illogic in religion and fell away from the church. I truly never understood churches such as the LDS or the Catholics in that the rhetoric never made sense, and the book being used was full of contradictions, and worse.

However, the huge difference between myself (and most other people) and institutions such as the LDS and Catholic churches is that, even though I do not prescribe to what they teach, and actually believe it could be very harmful to people, I have never once tried to have the people or the lawmakers of our city, state, or country to enact laws against what they do.

These same churches are actively taking away the rights of people who do not agree with them. They try to change history to fit their supposed "moral code." Well, my moral code says that anyone should have the ability to believe in what they want to believe in, and that it is not my place to inflict my morals on anyone else who abides by the law.

My marriage is not affected by anyone else's marriage. It is defined by the love between myself and my spouse. Period. Everyone else can believe or act as they want, up until the point where my rights are infringed upon. Stay in church and stay out of politics, or have your tax exempt status revoked.

• 24. John B.  |  July 14, 2010 at 4:15 am

So how on earth do they know that it was a "gay activist" or even a same-sex marriage supporter who punctured their tire? Or that they were being targeted at all? It's certainly not impossible but without having seen (and talked to) whomever did it, they're just making assumptions and throwing out accusations. I guess this is a tacit admission that they know they're promoting a hateful message that people will object to?

• 25. Lightning Baltimore  |  July 14, 2010 at 4:18 am

Why, who else could it possibly have been but one of those hateful, violent sissies?

• 26. Lightning Baltimore  |  July 14, 2010 at 4:21 am

My comment was just moments before yours.

^_^

How do you sleep at night, Louis?

Do you comfort yourself with the thought that, even if you're a hateful person bent on depriving others of equality, at least you're not a goddamn faggot?

Do you really expect that when you threaten the livelihood of others, they will just meekly accept it?

Do you think that smearing a minority will despicable lies will be met with silence from said group?

Do you think an allegedly slashed tire is damning proof of the violent hatred of homosexuals, when compared to the beatings and murders of gay people worldwide?

Do you honestly think that the "Protect Marriage" crowd are the ones at risk? Or do you just pretend that the rise in anti-gay hate crimes in California after the passage of Prop 8 is merely a coincidence?

Do the literally thousands of years of oppression of homosexuals by society at large mean nothing but one allegedly slashed tire is proof that "Christians" are in danger for their lives?

• 27. Straight Ally #3008  |  July 14, 2010 at 4:27 am

*comes up for air*

I'm waiting for the Westboro Baptist Church tour to collide with the NOM tour.

• 28. Andrew_WA  |  July 14, 2010 at 4:52 am

Contributed!

Yaaay!

Thanks for including and easy link to contribute to this campaign. While I cannot give what I would like to, I guess everything helps. *grin

Go gettum guys and gals! Blow kisses to Hagzilla for me!

• 29. Andrew_WA  |  July 14, 2010 at 4:54 am

Oh – seperate topic, so apologies, but has anyone heard of the Referendum 71 signer's list becoming public yet?

I was curious to see if that has made the light yet after the ruling that it was public information…

I sent an email to the Secretary of State here, but have yet to hear back.

Love,
    Andrew

• 30. Mark M. (Seattle)  |  July 14, 2010 at 5:01 am

I have emailed Ed Murray's office in Olympia and have been assured that as soon as the list is made available his office will let me know.
    I in turn will pass the info along to you Andrew ;-)

• 31. Vanessa  |  July 14, 2010 at 5:02 am

They are in for a hell of a time when they come to Atlanta. The gay community here is HUGE(as well as supporters) and we are not very nice to bigots. Bring it ,NOM.

• 32. Andrew_WA  |  July 14, 2010 at 5:13 am

Oh Mark – that would be awesome!

I am just rather curious as to whom would sign that as individual and/or business.

• 33. Chris  |  July 14, 2010 at 5:16 am

Just don't give them any fuel for that "we're the victims here" routine that the P8 people were trying to pull. Given that truth wasn't a priority for them in the first place, I'd imagine they'll be milking every scuffle and obscenity they can scrape together.

…on that note, has anyone thought of masquerading as NOM people and behaving horribly? ;)

• 34. Mark M. (Seattle)  |  July 14, 2010 at 5:19 am

So far nothing has surfaced….it may still be in the appeals porocess as I believe Protect Marriage was looking to a lower district court.

• 35. nightshayde  |  July 14, 2010 at 5:23 am

Here's my post… and yes, I'm surprised they don't have moderation turned on by now.

Discrimination is wrong, whether based in religion, tradition, ignorance, apathy, or any combination thereof.

The real Christians I know support marriage equality. They treat each other as they want to be treated. They know that love and families come in many shapes and forms. They're happy to live by their own morals and values without seeking to impose their values on others. They know that we best protect marriage and protect the children by encouraging life-long loving relationships.

It's the Faux-Christians who want to impose their values on everyone. It' the Faux-Christians who want to subject the civil rights of a minority to popular vote (at least until they know that a popular vote will go against them). It's the Faux-Christians who believe only their narrow interpretation of their religion's mythology should determine the fate of all Americans. It's the Faux-Christians who give the real Christians a bad name — and that's very sad.

There are some really good Christian people in this country. It's too bad the Faux-Christians are the ones who get all the press.

As for the nature vs nurture "argument," how on earth can you believe that homosexuality is a choice? Why would anyone subject himself/herself to the hateful rhetoric spewed daily by Faux-Christians and other ignorant people? Why would anyone "choose" to become the target of so many hateful people and/or groups? It doesn't make sense — but then again, logic is certainly not the strong suit of the Faux-Christians who spread such falsehoods.

One day, hopefully not far in the future, marriage equality will be the law of the land throughout this great country of ours. We will join the other sensible nations of the world who have already recognized the fact that discriminating against people based on sexual orientation isn't justified in a civilized society. When that blessed day comes, the children of the Faux-Christians will learn to look with disdain upon their parents who lied to them and told them that GLBT people are somehow "less than" straight people — much as people in my generation look with disdain upon the parents who believed that laws against miscegenation were righteous. My daughter will be able to proudly say that her Mommy and Daddy (yes – we're a straight couple) support marriage equality and supported it all along.

Equal rights should be guaranteed — not voted on. In our system of checks and balances, the courts exist partially to protect the rights of minorities from the tyranny of the majority. Judges who rule against discrimination are doing their jobs, and I thank my lucky stars that they are doing their jobs well more and more frequently.

There is no rational reason (and no – the mythologies of any/all religious organizations are not "rational") to deny equal rights to any law-abiding group of people in this country.

• 36. JonT  |  July 14, 2010 at 5:24 am

Standard victim card. You know how violent and unpredictable those homosexuals are.

Why a poor, innocent, heterosexual, christian tire was murdered! Maybe.

• 37. Dave in Maine  |  July 14, 2010 at 5:41 am

I see a comment posted on a Flickr photo of MG that says "What a vicious c*nt."

Do we need that kind of nonsense to represent us?

Dave

• 38. Dave in Maine  |  July 14, 2010 at 5:52 am

I just came back from Augusta and had a very nice experience. The press conference was led by EqMe executive director, Betsy Smith and included a lesbian family, a business leader, and a person of faith. It also included our governor, John Baldacci, who was the first governor in the US to sign a marriage equality bill (on May 6th, 2009).

There was a good number of supporters, all of us wearing red, standing on the staircase behind the podium. There were two ladies there who are regular protesters here in Maine, but otherwise it was a very positive experience.

I met two handsome young men who are doing the NOM tracking for the Courage Campaign and I thanked them for going to the NOM rally. I, and others there, realized that we really didn't want to hear them spout their nonsense anymore. These two young men are going to each rally, exposing themselves to that stuff, and they deserve a lot of credit.

I don't know what happened at the NOM rally-I left soon after the press conference to go back up to Bangor. I look forward to reading the trial trackers' account of what happened.

Dave in Maine

• 39. Kathleen  |  July 14, 2010 at 5:56 am

So, does this mean these will still just be posts that show up in the Prop8trialtracker site, i.e., if I'm subscribed to see all new posts at this site, it will automatically tell me that a new post wrt the NOM tour has been posted?

Hoping so, if there is yet another site I need to keep track of, I'll NEVER leave my computer. :)

• 40. Richard A. Walter (s  |  July 14, 2010 at 6:01 am

Thanks for all you do. I am glad hat there will be another site, but also glad that I will still be able to receive notices from this one about it.

• 41. fiona64  |  July 14, 2010 at 6:01 am

Here is what I wrote:

I can't speak for anyone else, but this straight, married, church-going woman thinks you should be ashamed of yourself.

I guess you have forgotten the story of the good Samaritan, in which Rabbi Yeshua ben Yussef teaches that everyone is your neighbor, and should be loved as you love yourself. That fellow lying in the ditch needed some compassion, yet the holy men passed him by because he wasn't "one of the in crowd." The Samaritan didn't stop to see if the man in the ditch was the right faith or ethnicity, or ask whom he loved — he looked after him, because everyone was his neighbor.

You can shout all the fear-mongering myths that you want about slippery slopes, Louis, but the thinking people know the truth: the real slippery slope is that voting to take away rights from one group because you find them personally distasteful opens the door to put any group's civil rights on the ballot.

I wonder, Louis, which of your rights you would be okay with being put to a vote by a capricious and tyrannical majority? See Federalist Paper No. 10 if you're unclear on why this is problematic. Our founding fathers are spinning in their graves.

• 42. PamC  |  July 14, 2010 at 6:06 am

Nice one! "…and they have no other skills…!" Yes, I've been wondering myself what jobs are out there for ex-anti-gay folks.

• 43. PamC  |  July 14, 2010 at 6:08 am

Thanks for attending, Dave. We're going to Providence this Sunday, so nice to know in advance what to expect.

• 44. Ķĭŗîļĺę&  |  July 14, 2010 at 6:16 am

Just got an email from Courage Campaign about NOM's bus tours.
    It specified Raleigh, NC for some reason
    (I guess, that's because I gave them my future zip code, or zip code from the future?).

@Dave from Maine
    Your report is very inspiring!
    Even the Governor of the state showed up at our side's rally!
    This is how serious NOM's hate-speech really is!
    And this is why it's important to show up and protest them!

• 45. Eden James  |  July 14, 2010 at 6:19 am

@Kathleen — yes, all of the NOM Tour Tracker posts will be posted here! No worries.

• 46. Mark M. (Seattle)  |  July 14, 2010 at 6:20 am

Thanks for the post Dave. Did the NOM rally take place in the same place as the press conference?
    What all was said at the press conference?

• 47. Eden James  |  July 14, 2010 at 6:24 am

Yes, if you entered an NC zip code, the email would have been sent to you.

Eden w/ Courage

• 48. BradK  |  July 14, 2010 at 6:26 am

Thanks Dave, nice report.

I'm interested to know the turnout at the EqME rally Vs. Maggie's Minions. Wouldn't it be great if we out-flanked them at every stop?

Also curious as to why they chose NH as the only New England state with marriage equality to bring their roving trailer park. Do they perceive NH as the most conservative of the four? I can see them hitting ME as a "victory for bigotry" celebration of sorts where I'm sure Prop 1 was mentioned in their cue cards…

• 49. Eden James  |  July 14, 2010 at 6:28 am

Thanks for the report, Dave!

When Danny and Robert post their report, I'll be sure to highlight some of what you wrote as an update to it.

If other folks here can attend events and provide their take on what happened, we can highlight your reports as well!

Eden w/ Courage

• 50. Eden James  |  July 14, 2010 at 6:31 am

We're about to post the news on the main page, but the turnout according to Danny and Robert with Courage was:

102: Equality for Maine press conference
    76: NOM Tour event

Danny and Robert hand-counted the attendance, so we're very confident in the accuracy.

Upshot: NOM FAIL. Equality Maine WIN.

More to come!

Eden w/ Courage

• 51. BradK  |  July 14, 2010 at 6:39 am

I wish you could see the smile on my face at hearing that….

• 52. Sagesse  |  July 14, 2010 at 6:40 am

Outstanding that the governor attended to EqMe rally!

• 53. Dave in Maine  |  July 14, 2010 at 6:41 am

Hi, Mark-

The press conference was inside at the Hall of Flags in the capital building. The NOM Rally was outside at Capitol Park. I did not see any NOM people other than those two ladies I mentioned earlier. I didn't drive by the park (not that I even know where it is!) so I didn't see how many people showed up.

We'll be getting a good report from Danny and Robert.

I'll post my photos on Flickr tonight when I get home. Nothing too exciting, but it'll give you an idea of what happened today.

Dave

• 54. Sagesse  |  July 14, 2010 at 6:41 am

In states like Maine and New Hampshire, I think NOM expects that the issue is not settled, and they're setting up for the next round.

• 55. JonT  |  July 14, 2010 at 6:42 am

Peter Barber Gallagher-Sprigg Explains The Proposition 8 Trial For You via Joe.My.God:

• 56. Dave in Maine  |  July 14, 2010 at 6:43 am

Thanks, Eden!

Thanks for posting the numbers, too. I had hoped that we'd outnumber them, but I was worried about the "traditional" women who stay at home while their husbands worked!

I am curious at how BB will spin this on the NOM site…

Dave in Maine

• 57. Kathleen  |  July 14, 2010 at 6:43 am

Thanks Eden.

• 58. JonT  |  July 14, 2010 at 6:44 am

@Eden: nice!

Look forward to it.

• 59. Kathleen  |  July 14, 2010 at 6:48 am

I agree with Sagesse. Remember that display of buffoonery by NH State Rep Nancy Elliott? I'm guessing NOM thinks they have allies in high places.

• 60. JonT  |  July 14, 2010 at 6:50 am

@Dave: 'I am curious at how BB will spin this on the NOM site…'

Probably something like:

'The demonstration’s organizers counted 200,000; mainstream media originally reported 70,000, and are now whittling that down to 50,000.' ?

• 61. Richard A. Walter (s  |  July 14, 2010 at 6:51 am

Yes, Kirille. The zip code you specify determines which version of the email you get.

• 62. JonT  |  July 14, 2010 at 6:55 am

Ooops. Didn't know you had already posted this. (Feel free to ignore the JMG post I made below)

• 63. Richard A. Walter (s  |  July 14, 2010 at 6:55 am

Eden, is there any work going on yet to guide us on getting folks together for the Raleigh event? I am not that far away, and would love to help. I have more time right now than I have money, so this is the only way I can help at present. My husband and I are going to be there anyway, so why not let us help get thing together here? Just send me an email, and I will call the office or whatever number you give me to call.

• 64. BradK  |  July 14, 2010 at 6:57 am

Hi Kathleen,

I'm not up on what's been happening in ME legal-wise since the Prop 1 disaster. Are there lawsuits on either side? Or attempts to defame the state Constitution?

NH (where I was once born — Live, Freeze, or Die) thankfully doesn't have the mob rule veto that ME has. And like their neighbors to the south in MA, the state Constitution is very onerous to change. Not that there haven't been murmurs to that effect, just like in MA soon after the SJC ruling on 2003. This is largely blowing smoke though.

NOM and its Catholic and Mormon allies seem gravitated toward easier victories based on voter fear rather than complex and protracted legal strategies.

• 65. Lightning Baltimore  |  July 14, 2010 at 6:58 am

Oh, come on, Kathleen! A man putting his penis in the rectum of a woman and moving it around is perfectly fine. It's only wrong, sick and evil if it's another man's.

• 66. Billy  |  July 14, 2010 at 6:59 am

Indianapolis, Indiana
    Monday, July 26, 2010 from 12:00pm – 1:00pm
    State House, East Steps
    Indianapolis, IN 46204

BE THERE OR BE SQUARE!

I've got at least 3 friends going with me. Anyone else in the area going? Huh? Huh? Don't chicken out! Let's do this!

• 67. Richard A. Walter (s  |  July 14, 2010 at 7:05 am

@ Dave:

when I get the email from them, I will let you know what they say. I won't post links unless someone asks. After all, I don't want to pollute this site with that. But I will gladly read it and boil it down to the lowest common denominator of their fear-mongering and hysterics and relay that to everyone here.

• 68. Kathleen  |  July 14, 2010 at 7:05 am

I am curious at how BB will spin this on the NOM site…

There appeared to be approximately 100 people there promoting the gay agenda. However, we have it from a reliable source that there were actually only two and the rest were an illusion created by the devil himself.

• 69. Kathleen  |  July 14, 2010 at 7:12 am

@Lightening, my favorite headline resulting from Elliott's little outburst was from Joe.My.God. It read "Nancy Elliott Doesn't Do Anal" – which, of course, was the only bit of fact-based information we could derive from her comment.

• 70. Richard A. Walter (s  |  July 14, 2010 at 7:15 am

That definitely sounds like Brainless himself, with a little help from MagPie!

• 71. Lightning Baltimore  |  July 14, 2010 at 7:16 am

Yes! That was beautiful.

• 72. BradK  |  July 14, 2010 at 7:16 am

But didn't Elliot retract her vile comments soon after? I also remember some knuckle-dragger from Londonderry that was making similar rants around the same time, but he was largely ignored.

• 73. Kathleen  |  July 14, 2010 at 7:18 am

@BradK – the only legal challenge I'm aware of in Maine right now is the battle between NOM and the Maine Elections committee over the issue of possible campaign law violations. But that's not to say there aren't any – I'm just not aware of them. Maybe one of our TT's from Maine knows the answer.

• 74. BradK  |  July 14, 2010 at 7:19 am

This idot: http://tpmlivewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/01/

Alfred P. Baldasaro

• 75. Patricia  |  July 14, 2010 at 7:25 am

No Illinois (too liberal?), so I won't be at one… I might be in Madison around that time, though, so if I see them I'll be sure to… what is it we're doing? Spitting on them doesn't seem productive…

• 76. Kathleen  |  July 14, 2010 at 7:26 am

But didn’t Elliot retract her vile comments soon after

I don't recall her retracting anything she said about gay people. My recollection is that she apologized for making the claim that fifth-graders in a public school were being shown how to perform anal sex.

• 77. BradK  |  July 14, 2010 at 8:17 am

Right you are Kathleen: http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/news/statenewengla

Which is certainly far from an apology for her stance on equal rights and other callous remarks. I just remember being surprised that she backed off from anything.

I guess all that really matters is that the bill never made it out of committee. Now, watch NOM try and reignite this (doomed) effort.

• 78. Kathleen  |  July 14, 2010 at 8:37 am

Cooper's reply to Olson's letter about the DOMA cases. http://www.scribd.com/doc/34343405/Doc-702

For those who can't access Scribd, here it is in a nutshell:
    As regards, Commonwealth, the decision is wrong but the judge was correct in saying that the definition of marriage is a matter for the states (and California made its decision). And Gill… well that's just plain wrong all round. "As Plaintiffs correctly note, the Gill ,court rejects the rationales offered in support of DOMA by the Congress and the Department of Justice, some of which we too have cited in support of Prop 8. The Gill, case was thus also wrongly decided, for the reasons we have presented throughout the course of this case."

• 79. Richard A. Walter (s  |  July 14, 2010 at 9:05 am

Actually, Rhonda, I think it is Cooper who is truly confuzzled.

• 80. Dave in Maine  |  July 14, 2010 at 9:23 am

The Maine Public Broadcasting Network story puts the attendance at ~100 for NOM and at ~80 for us.

I have the latest four articles about NOM and Maine's campaign finance disclosure law on my wordpress blog as well as the MPBN article about today.

Dave

• 81. Kathleen  |  July 14, 2010 at 9:29 am

Ooo. Love the photo of the Fiestaware. I collect pottery and dinnerware, though my primary interest is in topmarked Restaurant Ware. I have some Fiestware, mostly inherited through my bf's grandmother and the odd piece here and there I've picked up at a thrift store or garage sale.

• 82. Sagesse  |  July 14, 2010 at 10:02 am

No mention that the governor attended to EqMe rally.

• 83. Dave in Maine  |  July 14, 2010 at 10:05 am

Heheh, thanks Kathleen! All of our Fiestaware is new from Macy's (formerly Filene's) and I think it's soon time to buy another set in a new color!

I just saw the repeat broadcast of WLBZ news on channel 2.2 and THEY said that NOM had about 50 people!!

I trust Danny and Robert because, A) they know how important it is to get accurate numbers at each gathering (it's not just a story for the masses) and B) they're really cute!

Dave

• 84. Dave P.  |  July 14, 2010 at 10:36 am

You were at the EqMe rally but then you went home instead of going to the NOM rally? please know that I'm not giving you a hard time and I certainly appreciate any and all support and the fact that you reported it here, but I gotta ask – why not show up at the NOM rally and give our side some much-needed visibility to counter the lies they are spreading to the general public? It seems to me that it's even MORE important that we show up and be visible where THEY are than to show up for our own rallies. Just my two cents.

• 85. nightshayde  |  July 14, 2010 at 10:41 am

They used Fiestaware at a restaurant I worked at once upon a time. It's pretty, but it sure is heavy (especially when you're carrying it around all afternoon or evening).

• 86. Kathleen  |  July 14, 2010 at 10:52 am

Yes, nightshayde, I imagine it gets really heavy toward the end of the shift! As I said, I collect restaurant ware. We also use restaurant ware as our regular dishes (the old tan clay body stuff that isn't around any more). I've had to shore up all my kitchen cabinets, as they were sagging under the weight. :)

• 87. Dave in Maine  |  July 14, 2010 at 11:36 am

@nightshayde- I just emailed MPBN to mention the numbers discrepancy and the omission of the governor's presence.

We'll see what they say.

Dave

• 88. Rhonda  |  July 14, 2010 at 3:50 pm

The Honorable Vaughn R. Walker
    July 14, 2010
    Page 2 of 2

As Plaintiffs correctly note, theGill court rejects the rationales offered in support of DOMA by the Congress and the Department of Justice, some of which we too have cited in support of Prop 8. TheGill case was thus also wrongly decided, for the reasons we have presented throughout the course of this case.

What reasons did they present throughout the case? Did I miss something? I thought Cooper said he didn’t need evidence. I’m confuzzled now /snark

• 89. Dave in Maine  |  July 14, 2010 at 5:30 pm

Huh-that’s a good point. I didn’t even catch that….

Dave in Maine

• 90. nightshayde  |  July 14, 2010 at 5:39 pm

Would it be feasible to contact the network and tell them they have their numbers reversed?

• 91. Dave in Maine  |  July 14, 2010 at 5:59 pm

Hi, Dave P.-

Why bother going to their rally? From what I understand, no one was at the EqMe press conference or NOM rally other than the people who knew about it beforehand, so visibility wasn’t really as important (as opposed to the hearing at the Augusta Civic Center in April 2009 when the whole state was watching). The main point was media coverage and we got it. I’m uploading the channel 2.2 news report to Flickr right now.

Also, EqMe asked that we not attend the NOM rally. We had our say and we said it first. And why provide an opportunity for open conflict?

• 92. NOM Tour Tracker: Brian B&hellip  |  July 15, 2010 at 4:31 pm

[…] usual, he’s spinning away on current events, from NOM’s “Summer for Marriage: One Man, One Woman” tour to the DOMA case to the news out of Argentina last […]

• 93. David  |  July 16, 2010 at 5:19 am

Unfortunately, there are a lot of people in the Atlanta area that are receptive to the Summer for Marriage message. For a large city, Atlanta has a very small progressive population, mostly concentrated within the rather compact city limits.

• 94. Marlene  |  July 16, 2010 at 10:22 am

Looking at the schedule for Ohio, I see the NOMoninc twits have chosen Columbus, which has a HUGE community of LGBT folk! look for the hatemongers to get a ton of protesters!

What gets me is thir next stop in Lima, which has a large minority population. maybe they're going to try and hoodwink the black community there, who knows? Their best chance for a sympathetic audience would be Findlay. Even though there has been some inroads towards progressive issues, it's still one of the most conservative counties in the state.

• 95. Ғĕłỹҳ  |  July 16, 2010 at 10:34 am

@Marlene

I am sure Brian will win over big with the whole Anti-NOM activities are equivalent to Racist anti-black Bigotry! (I hope someone has a camera for that! Bound to be one hell of a sound bite!)

• 96. New video explains entire&hellip  |  July 17, 2010 at 10:49 am

[…] the NOM Tour rolls into Albany, New York, and Providence, Rhode Island, on Saturday and Sunday, we are still […]

• 97. Jon  |  July 18, 2010 at 12:55 am

I reported the blog to blogger for a hate violation-lol.

• 98. Richard W. Fitch  |  July 18, 2010 at 2:32 am

Be sure to contact me via Facebook. Thnx -rwf

• 99. Dave in Maine  |  July 22, 2010 at 4:59 am

A little late, but thanks! That photo was invited to be added to a Fiestaware group on Flicker where I’ve been able to find some really cool pictures of the stuff.

There are two Mexican restaurants in town and my favorite one uses real Fiestaware and the other one that’s just so-so uses copycat. Bah!!

Dave

• 100. Jeremy  |  July 27, 2010 at 2:44 pm

the NOM idiots need to come to tallahassee fl because im sure the big crowd of us GLBT community will have quite alot to say about the comments they say about the gay community we love our lifestyles and we also love to show it!!!!

• 101. Ronnie  |  November 6, 2010 at 7:42 am

Another thread that got buried in my email…..Cooper is a hoot, Kathleen….

"definition of marriage is a matter for the states (and California made its decision)"

interesting since the state did decide to legalize Marriage Equality…but some selfish anti-gay busy bodies who do not want to share the use of a word screwed that up…so we are are remedying that…

"for the reasons we have presented throughout the course of this case.”

Cooper cited reasons?…….

ok moving on to find more threads that got buried….<3…Ronnie

• 102. abinstocsa  |  August 25, 2012 at 10:19 pm

very good indeed.

• 103. twitter.com  |  March 3, 2014 at 11:24 pm

I every time spent my half an hour to read this webpage’s content daily along with a mug of coffee.