NOM greeted by “alternative wedding reception” in Albany

NOM Tour Tracker Right-wing

By Eden James

Danny Segura and Robert Oliver are in Albany, New York, today for the next NOM Tour stop. Today, they joined an “Alternative Wedding Reception” counter-event to NOM put on by several local organizations in New York.

Check out what Danny just sent from the event:

What a beautiful sight.

More than 70 activists, supporters and families have turned out so far at the Empire State Plaza Reflecting Pools in Albany.

Check out this pic of several participants holding up signs about “Testimony: Equality on Trial,” Courage Campaign Equality’s year-long campaign to bring the Prop 8 federal trial into the lives of the American people:

The Albany picnic event was sponsored by:

Marriage Equality New York
In Our Own Voices
Capital District Gay & Lesbian Community Council
Albany Queer Rising
HomoRadio on WRPI 91.5fm
Empire State Pride Agenda
Freedom to Marry
Courage Campaign
Social Responsibilities Council of the First Unitarian Universalist Society of Albany
Upper Hudson Planned Parenthood
Eleanor Roosevelt Democratic Club (ERDC)
New York Civil Liberties Union (NYCLU) Capital Region Chapter
Albany Law School Civil Liberties Union
Choices Counseling & Consulting/The Institute for Gender, Relationships, Identity & Sexuality
GAES Magazine: Gay Arts, Entertainment & Lifestyle
The Women’s Building
Christians Responding with Equality, Diversity and Openness (CREDO) of the Capital District
National Organization for Women (NOW) Albany Area Chapter
Capital District Area Labor Federation

And here’s a pic of a bunch of those activists heading over to the NOM rally to peacefully protest the NOM event:

albanyrally2

More to come as the NOM rally gets underway…

Tags: ,

• 1. Ķĭŗîļĺę&  |  July 17, 2010 at 4:33 am

Albany!

• 2. Ғĕłỹҳ  |  July 17, 2010 at 4:36 am

I heard a rumor that NC Pride will not participate…:( I hope we will be doing something!

Felyx

(Akhemmm…Richard?…)

• 3. Richard W. Fitch  |  July 17, 2010 at 4:41 am

An interesting mix of organizations coming together to counter the hate of NOM.

• 4. Richard A. Walter (s  |  July 17, 2010 at 4:50 am

GO ALBANY!!!!

• 5. Eden James  |  July 17, 2010 at 4:53 am

Wait until you all see the pics that will be going up soon on the site for the NOM rally, happening right now.

Priceless.

Eden w/ Courage

• 6. Kathleen  |  July 17, 2010 at 4:54 am

Yay, Albany!

• 7. Ronnie  |  July 17, 2010 at 5:03 am

Albany Rules.!!!!!!….<3…Ronnie

• 8. PamC  |  July 17, 2010 at 5:34 am

I love Albany! I lived in Troy (across the river) when I first came out, and worked in Albany. There's a wonderfully supportive gay community there, with a community center just off of Lark Street. Awesome; can't wait for more pics.

• 9. Lesbians Love Boies  |  July 17, 2010 at 5:34 am

You should also make those posters available online to purchase for those of us who cannot attend any of these events. I for one would happily purchase a sign/poster.

• 10. Lesbians Love Boies  |  July 17, 2010 at 5:35 am

By poster I mean the Testimony: Equality on Trial signs they are holding in the first pic. Not enough coffee.

• 11. Straight Grandmother  |  July 17, 2010 at 6:52 am

Yeah Eden, now that's what I'm talking about, fast updates.
    This keeps the troops (us) motivated, it includes us on a timely basis, not like we are reading it the next day. This is exactly what i'm talking about, get us the information fast so we can feel like we are there and then follow up later in depth. Good Job!!!

• 12. JonT  |  July 17, 2010 at 7:25 am

رکنیت

• 13. JT1962  |  July 17, 2010 at 8:08 am

I am SOOO proud of my hometown area's counterprotest. I so wish I'd been there too. The closest they'll get to me where I am now is Tampa. Let's hope Providence is just as covered as Albany is.

• 14. Do you see my love?: A be&hellip  |  July 17, 2010 at 12:47 pm

[…] now the amazing Albany organizers, led by several wonderful organizations, have taken counter-protesting to a whole new level, surrounding the NOM event with one of the most […]

• 15. Jay  |  July 17, 2010 at 1:42 pm

My partner and I were at the NOM rally (not to support NOM). Here is a photo set from the event:

And a YouTube video of the exit:

NOM warned their supporters of "civil unrest" that they would meet on their way out. You can see here how that turned out.

• 16. Truth Wins Out - Marriage&hellip  |  July 17, 2010 at 3:56 pm

[…] 70 supporters of marriage equality rallied at the government center adjacent to the state Capitol in Albany, and then held a silent vigil surrounding NOM’s […]

• 17. Michael  |  July 17, 2010 at 4:31 pm

Good job, Albany. Wish I (California) could be there with you to counter the Hate Tour.

• 18. Adam Brady  |  July 18, 2010 at 5:48 am

A great day for Marriage Equality and then a GREATER message when rallying NOM!!!! Way to go!!!!

• 19. Sagesse  |  July 18, 2010 at 6:02 am

A question for Danny and Robert: Does Brian Brown wear black shoes with that suit? Enquiring minds want to know.

Sorry, I'll put the snark back in his cage now.

• 20. Lesbians Love Boies  |  July 18, 2010 at 6:09 am

As others on the board have pointed out, Brian seems to have only brought one suit with him. It should be interesting to see if he finally spent some of that NOM salary on a new suit today. Can't wait for the pictures!

• 21. “This land was made&hellip  |  July 18, 2010 at 12:02 pm

[…] stayed back (a strong response as well). And yesterday LGBT activists in New York held a positive alternative marriage picnic and then surrounded, literally, the NOM demonstration with a quiet canopy of rainbow umbrellas held […]

• 22. Danielle  |  July 19, 2010 at 2:18 pm

I was at the reception, but left before everyone moved on to the NOM protest. I am not a member of any of the groups who co sponsored, but I am a straight, Christian mom who brought her 4 year old to join in celebration of what makes a family- LOVE.
    Thank you all for speaking out for those whose civil rights are being denied, and for reclaiming the words of Dr. King and Woody Guthrie.

I also highly recommend music for groups considering counter protest- one "wedding" song in particular, "One Hand, One Heart" from West Side Story was written by Leonard Bernstien and Stephen Sondheim who are both gay.

-Danielle (member of Emmanuel Friedens Church in Schenectady)

• 23. Richard A. Walter (s  |  July 19, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Another good one, for those of us who like country music, is Battle Hymn of Love, written by Tim O'Brien and recorded by Kathy Mattea and Tim O'Brien. I will try to find the video again. It was posted on a much earlier thread. the lyrics really speak about what marriage is all about, and I look forward to having it at our wedding reception after we return home from our second wedding related trip to DC.

• 24. Bob  |  July 19, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Danielle, thank you so much for your input, thanks for being there, thanks for your support, just thanks, especially for the song suggestions,,,, thanks

• 25. Joyce Bascom  |  July 20, 2010 at 3:53 am

Thanks for the organizers of this peaceful protest , for the groups able, willing, to sign on as sponsors, for those who attended. Grateful to all of you .. Fine messages in this event on side of justice , equality.
    (another of those straight older people )

• 26. Bob  |  July 20, 2010 at 4:19 am

Joyce, thanks it means so much to me every time someone like you speaks up, thanks for your comments, one question, which protest are you referring to , and did you attend? but mainly thanks and gratitude for being a voice for justice, equality

• 27. Meet the Trackers, part 2&hellip  |  August 2, 2010 at 11:09 am

[…] expect and getting it uploaded to this blog- both NOM’s events as well as pro-equality events like the picnic in Albany. He’s now back home and helping me, Eden and the rest of the gang here in research, tracking, […]

• 28. Gisele  |  March 3, 2014 at 11:16 pm

Howdy! I just want to give you a huge thumbs up for your great info
    you’ve got right here on this post. I am returning to your website for
    more soon.