Sen. Roy Ashburn’s Post-Outing Conversion Is Too Little, Too Late

Uncategorized

by Brian Leubitz

Let’s start by saying this: Sen. Roy Ashburn (R-Bakersfield) is a coward. Sure, on occasion, he broke party ranks to vote for a budget or something. But for well over a decade, he served in the Legislature, consistently voting against any and all bills that protected the LGBT community. And then, as he points out in this confessional published on the Gay and Lesbian Victory Fund website, he was outed in a flood of police lights. As I’ve said before, Ashburn was a slow-motion train wreck. The question was never if he was going to be outed, but when and how. Of course, he then went ahead and made sure it was a big spectacle. Good work, Roy.

But this little piece of work that he published, well, it’s a real piece of work.

My past actions harmed gay people. In fact, all people are harmed when there is unequal treatment of anyone under the constitution and laws of our country. I do not believe in discrimination, and yet my votes advanced unequal of treatment of gay people and promoted the suspicion and fear that limits people from being forthright and accepted in society.

Now, from what I have lived and learned, I want to do the best that I can to advance equality and freedom for all people. Given the shame and confusion that many feel over their sexual orientation, perhaps my situation can serve as an example of both the harm that can come from denial and fear, and the opportunity to try to make things right.

Let’s run down this timeline. Ashburn gets elected while outwardly proclaiming bigotry. Ashburn legislates consistent with that outward bigotry. Ashburn gets outed at the point of a policeman’s MAGlight. And now, finally, Ashburn decides that bigotry was ridiculous.

Well, let’s all give Roy a big ol’ group hug now, right? Well, I’ll just go ahead and skip that. Perhaps you would describe me as bitter, but for my part, I’ll pass on all of the mushy stuff. While I praise traditionally conservative parties for taking an enlightened stance on LGBT issues (such as the British Tories), that’s not what this is about.

This is about one guy, who lived his life selfishly. He was too much of a coward to come out. And let’s be clear, Ashburn was representing himself as a leader. This deception is not how a leader behaves. The lying and the sneaking, are not how a leader behaves. And the suppression of his own supposed fair-mindedness is not how a leader behaves.

Call me back after Ashburn has done some real work to repair some of the damage that he has already done. Maybe then I won’t be so cynical about his conversion via police lights.

• 1. tim  |  July 22, 2010 at 11:22 pm

Too much of a coward to "come out"? Come on – at least he finally did. At least he isn't hiding behind his wife or making fake excuses.

Once again – gay activists want to continue to shoot themselves in the foot instead of embracing a new ally. Or is it the fact that he is a Republican that bothers you? Get over yourself.

• 2. Chris  |  July 22, 2010 at 11:23 pm

He's obviously being menaced by the gay agenda – they must have terrorized him into saying all this stuff. If Mr Ashburn was properly repentant, he'd go to a conversion therapist and get a document certifying that he is entitled to live miserably as a straight man for the rest of his closeted life. God's loving will be done.

I, for one, will be very curious to see if he follows through on this.

• 3. Franck  |  July 22, 2010 at 11:30 pm

Actually I'm going to play some semantics on this one.

Someone who refuses to come out no matter what and hides behind family is the perfect description of an hypocrite.

Someone who comes out after having caused so much harm without doing anything to correct it is either a coward or an outright traitor.

Someone who comes out and actually takes steps to correct the harm he's done, that's what I'd call a true ally.

I'm perfectly willing to give Sen. Roy Ashburn some time to decide whether he wants to fit into the second or the third category. Until then…

– Franck P. Rabeson
    Days spent apart from my fiancé because of DOMA: 1127 days, as of today.

• 4. Franck  |  July 22, 2010 at 11:35 pm

More vocabulary for you to use, Kirille: in Malagasy, "subscribing" translates as "Misoratra anarana."

Given, that's less humorous than what you just came up with…

– Franck P. Rabeson
    Days spent apart from my fiancé because of DOMA: 1127 days, as of today.

• 5. Dave in Maine  |  July 22, 2010 at 11:37 pm

Mee too!

• 6. Lesbians Love Boies  |  July 22, 2010 at 11:38 pm

Truly sad. He didn't even read the bills he was voting against.

Quote from an article: "Ashburn did what he thought he had to do: He voted against every gay-rights bill that came before him. Most of the time, he didn't even read the bills. He thought that if he voted yes, he would be discovered.

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/2010/06/29/2856282/state-se

• 7. Richard A. Walter (s  |  July 22, 2010 at 11:39 pm

Also, Tim, there is the fact that this man won his terms not only by concealing that he himself is gay, but also by working and voting for legislation that harmed us. IN this way, he is as much a coward as George Rekers, if not more so. For my part, it will take quite a bit of work on his part to fully make amends and to prove himself. LIke Franck, I am willing to take a wait and see attitude, but at the same time, I see where Brian has a very valid point. And yes, he was too much of a coward to some out while he was in office. That did not, however, give him the right to use his position in public office to abuse us through legislation. That makes him a hypocritical coward.

• 8. Phillip R  |  July 22, 2010 at 11:48 pm

While he's apologetic for his actions and I can forgive, I still wouldn't vote for him. It's unfortunate that his outting was so public though. Just don't see either side voting for him again.

• 9. anonygrl  |  July 22, 2010 at 11:56 pm

It does seem an awful lot like a "death bed conversion," that is, confess, be shriven, die and go to heaven without doing any penance at all.

Now that he has been outed, he seems to be seeking consolation from the very people he has spent much of his career doing major harm to. Lets see if he is willing to do the penance, work to make things right, or if he will just try to slide in to heaven with a well placed confession. I am willing to forgive him if he shows his apology to be sincere, not merely convenient.

• 10. Richard A. Walter (s  |  July 22, 2010 at 11:59 pm

Amen!

• 11. Lesbians Love Boies  |  July 23, 2010 at 12:09 am

And I forgot

Morning Louis and Brian B

• 12. Alan E.  |  July 23, 2010 at 12:13 am

Posting a bit of nonsense just so I can read what people are saying from my inbox. So you know, Gmail will actually stack similar emails together, so you can read them as a chain in the order they came in and delete them all with the click of one button.

• 13. Alan E.  |  July 23, 2010 at 12:14 am

<3 Toby (at least the early version)

• 14. Alan E.  |  July 23, 2010 at 12:16 am

Rekers had a lot more influence than Ashburn. I would say he [Rekers] is worse.

• 15. Lesbians Love Boies  |  July 23, 2010 at 12:16 am

Great idea on Gmail. I think I will create a new gmail account for all these emails. Subscribing…

• 16. Lesbians Love Boies  |  July 23, 2010 at 12:26 am

Tweets coming in are saying that Maggie Gallagher is joining the tour today.

• 17. Lesbians Love Boies  |  July 23, 2010 at 12:53 am

NOM Blog has made a new post:

NOM ElectionWatch: NH Bill Binnie a "Shockingly Liberal" pro-SSM RINO?

• 18. Sarah  |  July 23, 2010 at 12:54 am

For some reason this paragraph stood out to me from the article:

"Gay people being treated with respect and having the same opportunities for a good life regardless of sexual orientation should not be topics of political debate. How can it possibly be that there is a partisan political divide over equal rights in America? At a time when our country is deeply divided over the proper size and scope of government, when people are hurting in a bad economy and when we face real threats from terrorists determined to end our way of life, shouldn’t we be united on at least one principal–that equality for all Americans is fundamental to who we are as a nation of freedom-loving people?"

Unfortunately, I think the answer lies in the fact that the religious right has taken a larger-than-ideal place in our political system. I am a Christian and I am gay. I cannot say that religions or religious people are always overstepping their bounds, but it has taken on a strange and dangerous role to some extent. My own faith is not undermined or threatened when others believe differently, or when I question things about my faith; it is only made stronger. I honestly have to wonder where peoples' faith is when these differences threaten their own faith. What kind of faith is that, that it cannot withstand some adversity? And, when we hear Mr. Brown evoking Martin Luther King, Jr. as his own ally in an odd twist of logic, it is easy to see how this fight for equality has become partisan.

I suppose there may be some rambling in this post, but they are just some of my thoughts about this. I thoroughly enjoy reading all of your thoughtful remarks on the many posts here. I don't respond much because sometimes I feel unqualified… but I am trying to be more involved.

P.S. Have I read that some of your are from the Raleigh, NC, area? I have a job offer near there (I'm from PA)… any insight? :)

• 19. jonelle  |  July 23, 2010 at 1:16 am

Happily lurking :)
    And just subscribing….

• 20. Timothy  |  July 23, 2010 at 1:23 am

Though shalt not repent and we shall not forgive.

–Book of Extreme Purists 17:4

• 21. Ann S.  |  July 23, 2010 at 1:45 am

Good morning, Louis and Brian.

Like so many of you, my judgment about Ashburn remains open until we see how he votes. Nice words from him — that's a start, but that's all it is.

As conservative as he is (and being in a different district and all) I would never vote for him regardless.

• 22. rf  |  July 23, 2010 at 1:56 am

Sorry, I;m not willing to vilify anyone over say 50 for living in the closet and being as terrible as Ashcroft and Rekers (well Rekers I can hate a little). I get it that many people did come out in the 60s, 70s, 80s and they are brave. but growing up and living as an adult without the internet or really, any support system, most gay people likely faced the choice of conform or die. My generation–30s and 40s is the first where I think we don't get any slack for hiding in the closet or destroying lives–I'm talking to you Brian Brown. We should know better, we have the internet, we had Ellen, and we see the change in people younger than us. I also think these public examples of how destructive the closet is are good for the movement–I mean if the closet isn't so psychologically and physically destructive then why should we be trying to tear it down? I say give ashcroft a chance to work through his new circumstances before we judge. Even our "fierce advocate" won't admit we are worthy of full marriage equality and he's young enough to know better.

• 23. Mark M. (Seattle)  |  July 23, 2010 at 2:08 am

I disagree RF. The closet is a safe secure hiding place for those who need it…those whos situation is one of danger and fear may warrant a closet. But when someone is in a position of power and authority to than use the closet as a shield to hide behind, as you actively attack and hurt your fellow man (and woman) it is unforgivable.
    He wanted no part of our 'family', than I say this 'family' wants no part of HIM!

• 24. Mark M. (Seattle)  |  July 23, 2010 at 2:08 am

sub

• 25. NetAmigo  |  July 23, 2010 at 2:12 am

I agree with you rf. In addition, I think criticism against some of these cases arises due to a difference in political perspective. For instance, I see Dick Cheney vilified at times yet I believe that he really believes gay people should have full equality. That is more than I can say about some who intellectually support equality yet seem to equivocate when push comes to shove. It's easy politically to show support for gay people when it is politically popular in one's camp. It is not easy when one's political camp is hostile to gay rights.

• 26. Richard A. Walter (s  |  July 23, 2010 at 2:13 am

Sarah, all I can say about NC is this: While we are gradually creeping into the 20th Century (no this is not a typo!), it is taking us some time. Be prepared to step back in time 100 years as far as attitudes go. The Andy Griffith Show and Mayberry RFD would be recommended viewing for you, as this is actually how it still is today. Don't get me wrong, the people here are great folks. they just happen to be stuck in the 19th Century, even while dressing in current clothing.

• 27. Dave in Maine  |  July 23, 2010 at 2:18 am

Well, aren't a lot of the things groups do done so that attention can be brought to the issue? I am not sure that they are doing this to bring attention to themselves, anyway, but if they are, are they any different, then, from the HRC?

As for the republicans, yes, some are outwardly hostile to us and the party has been hijacked by wackos, but not all republicans are like that. Also, we're a community that celebrates diversity and there are conservative gay people-that is part of our diversity. Having the gay conservative groups around and active is one more front where we can attack the fear, lies, and deceit.

Dave in Maine

• 28. Alan McCornick  |  July 23, 2010 at 2:31 am

I'm sympathetic to the view that people over 50 deserve to be cut some slack. It took way more courage in Ashcroft's early days to come out than it does now. But cutting slack is not giving credit. He was never a leader. He advanced prejudice against his own kind. It won't be easy for him to live that down. I think we should focus on the idea that he had to represent he interests of his constituents to stay in office. How is he now to do a 180 and still represent those interests? What's wrong with that picture? My guess is that times are changing, that Ashcroft is now swimming in a new stream, and his constituents along with him.

• 29. Richard A. Walter (s  |  July 23, 2010 at 2:33 am

I agree with you, rf, about giving Ashcroft a chance. I may not have sounded like it, but that is exactly what I meant when I mentioned that Ashcroft needs to put his money and his actions where his mouth is, and when I referenced the Toby Keith song "A Little Less Talk and A Lot More Action." Yes, an apology is very nice, but as I have learned in the 14 years I have been a friend of Bill W., an apology means nothing unless it is backed up by actions demonstrating that there has been a change in attitude. That is when you are making amends. Not the apology, but the actions that follow the apology. If you keep doing the same thing after the apology that you had to apologize for in the first place, then your apology is not sincere. However, when your apology is sincere, you act upon it and take the actions that prove you are making amends. This includes, in this case, voting in favor of equal rights for all, and actually getting out there to work for those equal rights to be established and enforced.

• 30. Lesbians Love Boies  |  July 23, 2010 at 2:36 am

Someone tweeted this today. I haven't read through it yet.

The American Gay Rights Movement: A Timeline

This timeline provides information about the gay rights movement in the United States from 1924 to the present: including the Stonewall riots; the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy; the first civil unions; the legalization of same-sex marriage in Massachusetts and Connecticut; and more.

• 31. Lesbians Love Boies  |  July 23, 2010 at 2:38 am

+1 Richard – actions speak louder than words!

• 32. PamC  |  July 23, 2010 at 2:47 am

Thanks for this, LLB. Nice synopsis; wish it had more info re: the early years, though.

• 33. Denny2  |  July 23, 2010 at 2:53 am

I understand that older people will have a more difficult time coming out, but none of his apologies or statements seem sincere to me. This whole thing seems like one of those news stories about a former drug addict who is reflecting on his sordid past and is relieved to have gotten caught because it stopped his downward spiral. He makes it seem like he's so wise now because he's seen the light and we should all learn from him. Give me a break. He is just trying to spin this and turn himself into an advocate because its the only way for him to remain in the public eye.

• 34. Cat  |  July 23, 2010 at 2:55 am

I agree with rf too. The mind can build a terrible trap, out of which it is hard to escape. I have been in a self-made closet for too long, and I am now in my early 40s. I've always had an open and loving family, for crying out loud. Still, my insecurity made me build thick walls of fear-based misconceptions on how the world would treat me. I hope Ashcroft has truly rid himself of the lies.

• 35. Kathleen  |  July 23, 2010 at 2:55 am

Me too

• 36. Fluffyskunk  |  July 23, 2010 at 2:58 am

I personally do not want an ally like Ashburn who will turn around and stab me in the back as soon as it's politically convenient. Sorry.

• 37. Lesbians Love Boies  |  July 23, 2010 at 3:05 am

Maggie doesn't look too happy in Columbus. Perhaps she thought her presence would 'energize' more people to HATE with NOM.

• 38. Denny2  |  July 23, 2010 at 3:08 am

Maybe she should take her shoes off and make herself comfortable like she did in the courtroom.

• 39. Bob  |  July 23, 2010 at 3:09 am

Just a thought, has anyone contacted Ashburn, and given him a task, or could someone in one of the gay rights organizations, give him a challenge, something he could do for us to prove himself, put that republican to work. for us,

I mean rather than just wiait to see if he's changed, why don't we just ask him to take on some task that would prove it.

• 40. Alan E.  |  July 23, 2010 at 3:13 am

Read George Chauncey's (expert witness) book "Gay New York." It's a great history of homosexuality from 1890-1940 (at least gay males in New York, and he addresses in the intro why he doesn't feature lesbians or beyond New York).

• 41. Dom  |  July 23, 2010 at 3:13 am

Brian,

I had to read your post on Sen. Ashburn a few times before I could figure out how to respond.

Let's give the man some time and see if his actions match what he now says. Until then, I'm not going to call him a hypocrite, nor a hero, nor an ally, nor an enemy.

He can't change his actions in the past, but let's allow some time to see if he really is who he now proclaims to be.

Peace to all, Dom

• 42. Ronnie  |  July 23, 2010 at 3:14 am

I concur….that was great..<3…Ronnie

• 43. nightshayde  |  July 23, 2010 at 3:15 am

Not that my comment will ever see the light of day over there, but I just posted this in response:

How sad that someone who believes the Constitution should be the basis of our laws would be insulted as "shockingly liberal."

Then again, many of those who don't advocate the USA becoming a theocracy consider that label to be a compliment rather than an insult.

• 44. Dave in Maine  |  July 23, 2010 at 3:18 am

Good point!

Dave in Maine

• 45. Michelle Evans  |  July 23, 2010 at 3:21 am

I agree with Dom and Bob, and others here, that he should be given some time to prove if he is sincere or not. And that this sincerity needs to come in him actually doing something actively FOR our community to make up for all the years he fought against us and his own nature. Words are one thing, but direct action is what is needed right now. If he truly believes what he has stated, then he needs to back it up now with action. Then we can count him in, otherwise, if he just sits back and hopes it all goes away and everyone forgets, then he should never be forgiven.

• 46. PamC  |  July 23, 2010 at 3:24 am

Cool! Thanks, Alan–always looking to add to the stack of books on my bedside table! :)

• 47. Mark M. (Seattle)  |  July 23, 2010 at 3:39 am

All of you supporting Ashburn are certainly better people than I am I guess.
    I came out while in high school in 1977…Ft. Worth Texas.
    I started an after school support/chat group for other students struggling with their sexual identity.
    I even took my than boyfriend to the prom…..
    Yes I was beaten up almost daily….and the night of prom Michael (my BF back than) and I were beaten so badly that we were taken to the ER for stitches and a general check up….we were fine….mostly.
    My point is this, coming out is never easy but it must be done if we are ever to win over the hearts and minds of those we precieve as out enemies.
    Harvey Milk was NOT wrong when he urged each and every Gay man and woman to come out…be seen, be heard…let the world know who we are. Only than can we win.

"Burst down those closet doors once and for all, and stand up and start to fight." Harvey Milk

• 48. Sagesse  |  July 23, 2010 at 3:58 am

If 60 to70% of Americans are in favour of DADT repeal, the math says some of them must be Republicans.

• 49. Richard A. Walter (s  |  July 23, 2010 at 4:04 am

Only one problem. Columbus has enough of an air quality issue with what floats over from the chemical plants in the Kanawha Valley of West Virginia for Maggie to add to it with her foot odor.

• 50. PamC  |  July 23, 2010 at 4:04 am

Gotta love Harvey, so much. I watched his bio-doc at age 31, soon after I came out. My spouse came out in 1979, at age 18, so I have some perspective on both sides. There are hundreds of reasons that people stay closeted–or not.

That said, I so admire your bravery, both then and now, Mark. And am saddened by the abuse inflicted on you. As you know, coming out is never over, it happens to me daily or at least weekly! But it gets easier with practice, too. :)

• 51. Sagesse  |  July 23, 2010 at 4:05 am

Subscribing.

Ashburn is just another 'caught in the act' politician. To focus on sexual orientation is to disguise the similarities. It's all about power. Leadership is something else again.

• 52. Denny2  |  July 23, 2010 at 4:06 am

I don't think it really matters if he tries to do something to prove himself by helping gay rights. It would only be a penance for his betrayal.
    I personally have no respect for him. Anyone can be forced out of the closet. That's easy. Its easy to go on radio and come out as gay when everyone already knows you're gay. If we are looking for an ally then maybe we should find one with some credibility and respect instead of someone trying to redeem himself.

• 53. Alan E.  |  July 23, 2010 at 4:25 am

I remember having shelter-in-place events because of stuff going on in, of all names, Nitro.

• 54. Richard A. Walter (s  |  July 23, 2010 at 4:26 am

Thank you, Mark.

• 55. Kathleen  |  July 23, 2010 at 4:32 am

Thank you, Mark, for your courage and what that has done for so many others. I, too, am sorry to hear you suffered such abuse.

• 56. Richard A. Walter (s  |  July 23, 2010 at 4:39 am

We had them too, Alan. And for those of you who are not familiar with the area, the town of Nitro, WV, to which Alan refers, got its name because under the ground is one of the largest naturally-occurring deposits of nitroglycerin in the world. Yes, the same stuff that is an ingredient in sublingual tablets for cardiac patients, and also in dynamite.

• 57. jerry Pritikin  |  July 23, 2010 at 5:37 am

California State Senator Roy Ashburn, reminds me of the difference between a genius and an embezzler… is that a
    genius never gets caught!

• 58. ĶĭŗîļĺęΧҲΪ  |  July 23, 2010 at 6:14 am

Submarinning

• 59. Richard A. Walter (soon to be Walter-Jernigan)  |  July 23, 2010 at 6:18 am

Yes, it does appear as though Sen. Ashburn is trying to pull off the “Road to Damascus” act of being freed from his blindness, doesn’t it? I am like you on this one, Brian. Someone please let me know when Sen. Roy Ashburn goes so far as to put his money and his actions where his writing is. Come on, Roy, put some feet on your words! Or as Toby Keith sings, “A Little Less Talk, and A Lot More Action.”

• 60. Richard A. Walter (soon to be Walter-Jernigan)  |  July 23, 2010 at 6:19 am

Thank you KIrille! Because of you, I actually am enjoying a good laugh. You do have a great sense of humor when you feel like letting it show.

• 61. Dave P.  |  July 23, 2010 at 6:20 am

Hi Richard! Small world. It looks like we're trudging the same road : ) I was wondering if other friends of Bill might have noticed my earlier comments in another thread about the difference between an apology and an amends. Nice to 'meet' ya !

• 62. Richard A. Walter (s  |  July 23, 2010 at 6:23 am

Same here. Are you on FB, by any chance?

• 63. Bob  |  July 23, 2010 at 6:26 am

Michelle, I'm not talking "time to prove himself I'm suggesting put him to a task instantly, surely there's some organization who could come up with some task a repbulican could take up to forward our cause, give him something to do, not just wait and see if he does anything.

• 64. Rhonda  |  July 23, 2010 at 6:37 am

I, personally think it has nothing to do with political parties, and everything to do with hypocrisy and bigotry. He didn’t “come out”, he was “outted”. He was preaching one thing and doing another. That is what “make(s) ya go hmmm” about his sudden conversion. It’s the whole “wife beater” aspect of it… I beat the crud outta ya, then when arrested, I want you to come bail me out cuz I looooooove you…. blah I say he needs to prove himself.

that’s my rant for now… 😀 Rhonda

• 65. Bolt  |  July 23, 2010 at 8:26 am

I agree with your perspective.

” And let’s be clear, Ashburn was representing himself as a leader. This deception is not how a leader behaves. The lying and the sneaking, are not how a leader behaves.”

This guy has self loathing skeletons over his shoulder, and he isn’t any different than Rekers, Craig, or Haggert. He’s a republican who seeks power.

One other group that makes me sick is the Log Cabin Republicans. They’re upset because their federal challenge to DADT isn’t getting any attention. Is this why they’ve challenged it, for attention? They’re wildly out of touch, and give money to a party that has outward hostility towards us.

• 66. fiona64  |  July 23, 2010 at 8:26 am

Hi, Brian and Louis!

• 67. fiona64  |  July 23, 2010 at 8:27 am

Or Elvis: “A Little Less Conversation.”

;->

Love,
    Fiona

• 68. Dave  |  July 23, 2010 at 9:00 am

There is no way he will keep his seat though. His district is like 60% Roman Catholic and 40% Evangelical Christian. We know what these groups say about gays.

• 69. Alan E.  |  July 23, 2010 at 9:05 am

He terms out this year.

• 70. Kathleen  |  July 23, 2010 at 9:07 am

Isn't he out under term limits anyway?

• 71. Richard A. Walter (s  |  July 23, 2010 at 9:08 am

Yes, he is out after this term. In fact, there is a statement to the effect that he is serving out his final term at the end of the column.

• 72. Mark M. (Seattle)  |  July 23, 2010 at 9:22 am

Well thank you for your kind words guys and gals but my point was really a simple one….coming out is never easy but it IS necessary and oh so important.
    To cut this coward slack is just NOT gonna happen on my end….there has been to much hurt caused by people like him.

• 73. Dpeck  |  July 23, 2010 at 1:57 pm

Hi Richard,

Sorry, I'm not 'facebooked'. We'll have to stick with cryptic comments here at P8TT and try to avoid breaching traditions, or you can email me at davep2 (at) sbcglobal (dot) net.

• 74. Richard A. Walter (s  |  July 23, 2010 at 3:00 pm

@Dave P.: Got it. Will do!

• 75. Len Silvey  |  July 23, 2010 at 4:30 pm

At last. Somebody who remembers what it was like in the 30's and 40's and 50's. A bunch of us got into opposite sex marriages as a way of hiding out and then wound up hurting a bunch of straight and gay people when it didn't work out. This is a part of our not so free history and we should not deny it. Structural or institutional prejudice has been ominous and harmful. I am so grateful for a generation that is brave enough to take it on at all cost, but let us not forget a very real part of our history. Welcome Ashburn to the reality of our side.

• 76. Straight Grandmother  |  July 23, 2010 at 9:00 pm

I really appreciate the above comments from people I don't necessarily recognize as being "regular" posters here, trying to say that you don't post a lot. You and your comments are welcome and appreciated here.
    I met a woman last month who visited me on our olive farm. Age 58 and still in the closet, and was even in the closet to her own son until she found out accidently he was gay. Never came out to her parents who have since passed away, still not out to her brother.

Thank GOD times are different now. It has been 40 years since Stonewall. I sincerely believe it is this generation of young people who will carry the movement home to full Equality. They stand on the shoulders of giants. Stonewall opened the door, and little by little it has been pushed open more and more, a crack here and a crack there.

That is why I am so encouraging of the young people who are out and proud, why I encourage them to go out and protest (without having a discussion of the BEST way to protest, just any way), I think they can do it, I think we will look back at 2010 and realize what an important year this was. The young, they need to get that sense of self empowerment that public protesting brings you. I think from these few protesters at the Summer NOM Tour, these few will be inspiring and will become many. That is what I think will play out. Young GLBT people will realize that there is a civil rights movement for them, not Gay Inc. (aka- send money).