(VIDEO) NOM supporter’s “solution to gay marriage”: Lynching gay couples

NOM Tour Tracker Right-wing

(Check out the news from the South Bend City Council meeting. Meanwhile, Bil Browning, founder of the Bilerico Project, was also in Indianapolis today. He posted the following on Bilerico and gave us permission to cross-post it on NOMTourTracker.com. Check out the sickening sign that NOM supporter Larry Adams created with two nooses as “the solution to gay marriage.” Also, watch the interview that Courage’s Arisha Michelle Hatch did with Adams, and the “handling” that Adams got from Justin, a NOM staffer, in the middle of the interview. — Eden):

By Bil Browning

The National Organization for Marriage’s “One Man, One Woman” bus tour hit Indianapolis today and the LGBT community came out to greet them.

Since we’re hospitable Hoosiers, of course, gay-hate-sign.jpgour welcome wagon outnumbered the small dog and pony show put on by NOM and local religious right groups.

Over 250 LGBT and allied folks protested the rally, but only 40 fundies showed up. At least 10 of the anti-marriage equality crowd were NOM staff or local speakers; the rest of the group were older Caucasians and skewed slightly female.

One older attendee held this sign and the Courage Campaign, there to document the entire tour, got an interview with the man. It’s included after the jump with another photo of the guy with the sign.

I’ll be posting Maggie Gallagher’s entire speech plus an exclusive interview with her this evening after I get back from the event sponsored by Freedom To Marry and local groups. Also behind the jump is a slideshow of photos that I took at the rally; it was a beautiful sight to see. It reminded me of when Fred Phelps church comes to town and the community always drowns out the sight of their hate and religious zealotry.

anti-gay-protestor.jpg

Photos courtesy of Alice Hoenigman and Wilson Allen.

Video courtesy of the Courage Campaign

Tags: , ,

• 1. Ķĭŗîļĺę&  |  July 26, 2010 at 10:33 am

Submarinelling

• 2. Alan E.  |  July 26, 2010 at 10:36 am

Sub in

• 3. Chris  |  July 26, 2010 at 10:38 am

What great facts he provided while thoroughly answering the questions.

• 4. Steve  |  July 26, 2010 at 10:39 am

The correct response would have been for a lesbian to tell him that she doesn't want to "lie with a man".

• 5. eDee  |  July 26, 2010 at 10:45 am

Klan Member maybe?
    Leviticus again – how original.

• 6. Mackenzie  |  July 26, 2010 at 10:45 am

this dude is a joke and a piece of sh*t. Baby Jesus please forgive me for my unclean mouth.

• 7. Alan E.  |  July 26, 2010 at 10:46 am

Ok real comment. That poor guy. He has become so brainwashed that he has become the exact opposite of what he used to be. Now he "knows what's right and wrong," but not everything from the bible is right and wrong; only that with which he is prejudiced to oppose is what he believes is wrong. He found a way to "justify" what he was told was wrong with him. I wouldn't count him out as a let cause just yet, but it would still take a lot of work.

• 8. Mark M  |  July 26, 2010 at 10:46 am

WOW! What a truly disturbed man. I will pray for him.

• 9. mattymatt  |  July 26, 2010 at 10:47 am

Yikes! Well, it's not a huge surprise to see that kind of an attitude at a NOM rally — they may talk about protecting marriage, but tat the end of the day, it's all about marginalizing gays.

• 10. Richard A. Walter (s  |  July 26, 2010 at 10:48 am

The only thing that is surprising to me about this man is that he is not only out in daylight, but also without his hood and sheet.

• 11. Richard A. Walter (s  |  July 26, 2010 at 10:48 am

forgot to subscribe

• 12. Eddie  |  July 26, 2010 at 10:49 am

Wow.

• 13. Alan E.  |  July 26, 2010 at 10:49 am

Let cause = lost cause

• 14. l8r_g8r  |  July 26, 2010 at 10:53 am

I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their own desires.

Susan B. Anthony

• 15. Cat  |  July 26, 2010 at 10:54 am

I can't even click on that video… not good for my heart. On the other hand, I watched "For The Bible Tells Me So" yesterday. Brought tears to my eyes… the good kind of tears.

• 16. Ann S.  |  July 26, 2010 at 10:57 am

Great quote!

• 17. Richard A. Walter (s  |  July 26, 2010 at 10:58 am

@ l8r_g8r: And from the queer Jewish family in Hope Mills, NC, comes this response: AMEN!

• 18. Ronnie  |  July 26, 2010 at 11:01 am

Oh Larry…tisk tisk…Quoting Levi?….those glasses…no no no no…& I sure do hope that t-shirt is 100% cotton…. Larry….. ; )

<3…Ronnie

• 19. Bolt  |  July 26, 2010 at 11:05 am

WOW! LOL! Jaw on floor.

"No Marriage No Sex." What is this stupid bigot talking about?

Annihilate proposition 8, and sue in federal court for national marriage equality!

• 20. l8r_g8r  |  July 26, 2010 at 11:07 am

Thanks. I don't mean this quote to say that all religion is bad. I also don't think that was how Susan B. Anthony meant this quote. I think it means, simply, that we cannot be so certain about what God wants us to do. If we could, then there wouldn't be so many religious sects — there would be only one, and there would be no atheists.

• 21. Dave in Maine  |  July 26, 2010 at 11:09 am

Superstarscribe!!!

• 22. Kathleen  |  July 26, 2010 at 11:10 am

Just subbing.

• 23. Anonygrl  |  July 26, 2010 at 11:11 am

Knowing nothing more about him that what I see in that video, he strikes me as someone who is possibly slightly developmentally disabled, and probably gay. Were he a character in a movie, I would guess that he was raised in a very oppressive sort of environment where he was constantly taught that gay is wrong, and at some point (when he was 40 he says, and probably still a virgin, as he may be to this day) someone from some fundamentalist church got ahold of him and filled his simple head with the stuff he now spouts with the idea that they were helping to "cure" him. He didn't know any better, and the brainwashing took.

I would even believe that the person who did it to him did it with what they considered to be the best of intentions, helping this poor soul out.

Tragic, more than anything else.

• 24. Sheryl Carver  |  July 26, 2010 at 11:12 am

I feel sorry for the poor soul. From what he said, he's at least bisexual, but "those thoughts come from the Devil" & once he started reading the Bible, he now "know right from wrong." How awful to be him right now!

And how awful that he now is so filled with fear & loathing that he wants to hang those who don't believe in his version of what "God wants."

I know many people find solace in religion. Me, I think the downside of organized religion far outweighs the upside. Spirituality, yes! Organized religion (it's all about power & money), no.

• 25. Matt  |  July 26, 2010 at 11:15 am

Nom = National association for murder

• 26. Anonygrl  |  July 26, 2010 at 11:16 am

I am not sure that Mr. Adams could understand the word "inflammatory". And I don't mean that to BE inflammatory, just that he strikes me as possibly developmentally disabled.

• 27. fritz smith  |  July 26, 2010 at 11:18 am

Thank you ARISHA!!

Wonderful interview! How much do we all need to contribute to make this into a documentary film? I wish I could have been there today, but was a block away delivering a copy of "Out of Annapolis" to Senator Lugar's office. I heard about the event trough aides there. And an mow cognizant of this wonderful site!

• 28. Richard A. Walter (s  |  July 26, 2010 at 11:18 am

That is exactly what we think here in this house also. And no, religion itself is not bad. It is those who misuse religion to oppress others that give religion a bad rep.
    I don't know off the top of my head who said it, but another quote along the same lines goes "You can tell that God has been made in your image when He hates the same people you do."

• 29. Christoph  |  July 26, 2010 at 11:21 am

NOM=NOOSES ON (gay) MEN.

• 30. Richard A. Walter (s  |  July 26, 2010 at 11:21 am

Fritz, is "Out of Annapolis" a book? Where can we order it?

• 31. Papa Foma  |  July 26, 2010 at 11:23 am

There is a large gap between – trying to save "their" souls, and Hanging them to stop their behavior.
    He says the crowd was confused. Hmmmm! Even with good intentions, he's the one who is confused.
    Papa Foma

• 32. Bolt  |  July 26, 2010 at 11:23 am

I thought he was advocating for bondage.

• 33. Alan E.  |  July 26, 2010 at 11:25 am

Throw this study in NOM's face, just out today.

U.Va. study: Adoptive children of lesbian and gay couples developing well

• 34. JonT  |  July 26, 2010 at 11:26 am

snorkeling.

• 35. l8r_g8r  |  July 26, 2010 at 11:26 am

I am curious which version of the Bible he is reading, and whether he can read Aramaic and Koine Greek and Hebrew. I most certainly cannot.

Anyone seen the website http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/none/funny-transla… ? Great examples of how translating languages into English can result in some great misunderstandings…

There are hundreds of great websites about how the bible has been interpreted or misinterpreted over the centuries, including the passages about homosexuality. Unfortunately, it is easy for the "true believers" (scare quotes intentional) to dismiss those well thought out articles, essays, and books to nothing more than temptations of the devil.

How can they be so sure that the interpretation they have made was not due to temptation by the devil?

• 36. Sagesse  |  July 26, 2010 at 11:27 am

The scariest (or saddest) thing is that Larry has been indoctrinated by a sect that believes that God is going to punish 'everyone' for the sins of others. (Sodom and Gomorrah). It is their duty to purify the community (nooses) so that 'everyone' can go to heaven.

• 37. NetAmigo  |  July 26, 2010 at 11:28 am

I notice Larry Adams, the guy with the inflammatory sign, admits he has homosexual urges. Thus, the guy is somewhere on the scale between a bisexual and a homosexual. I swear to God that most of these militant fanatics I have experience with are closeted homosexuals. It seems to me they grasp onto religion in a desperate attempt for support in suppressing their sexual tendencies.

• 38. Alan E.  |  July 26, 2010 at 11:29 am

Dore Alley was just yesterday in SF, so he could have been lol

• 39. fiona64  |  July 26, 2010 at 11:32 am

"And they will know we are Christians by our love, by our love. They will know we are Christians by our love."

Love,
    Fiona

• 40. Ronnie  |  July 26, 2010 at 11:34 am

NOM can't play the victim card anymore with what went on in RI & NY…not after this guy showed up to support them.

After all…the protestors in RI & NY were there because it is a open to the public gathering & they were there to support Equality….well this guy was there to support NOM & "marriage" but what do two nooses & Leviticus have to do with "protecting" marriage?

NOM's PR department is flipping a lid with this….Maggie is having cow….Brainless Brown Suit is probably turning bright red…& Louis is probably gonna be like "well He has the right to be there & they don't because they're Gaayyyyyyyyyy"

facepalms…..<3…Ronnie

• 41. Bolt  |  July 26, 2010 at 11:35 am

Alan E, in spite of the mountain of evidence that they were confronted with in the Perry v. Schwarzenegger trial, they've become more absolute in their beliefs.

They'll never get it.

• 42. l8r_g8r  |  July 26, 2010 at 11:39 am

Actually, in the story God sent the Angels to Sodom and Gomorrah to find one good man. If they were unable to find one good man, they were to burn the city. They found one good man, but the Angel's destroyed the city anyway. But, before destroying the city, they saved the good man and his family (except his hedonistic wife).

• 43. Richard A. Walter (s  |  July 26, 2010 at 11:41 am

Also telling is that everyone in these crowds ASSUMES that Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed for homosexuality, when that is not the case at all. They were destroyed for several violations of hospitality and for rape.

• 44. Richard A. Walter (s  |  July 26, 2010 at 11:44 am

Actually, they were to find 10 good men. They could only find one, and it is a good thing he did not have to be perfect, as later events would show.

• 45. l8r_g8r  |  July 26, 2010 at 11:45 am

Thanks, Richard. I'm rusty. But my point is still made. God did not punish "everyone" — just the bad ones.

• 46. l8r_g8r  |  July 26, 2010 at 11:52 am

The only fact that I know is that we, as mere mortals, cannot be absolutely certain what the "sin of Sodom and Gomorrah" actually was.

• 47. Richard A. Walter (s  |  July 26, 2010 at 11:52 am

That's okay. I was rusty about it myself until I married a rabbi. Of course, we are still trying to get everything in place so that we can make the two trips to DC and get the legal, civil paperwork completed, but we will do that soon, hopefully. And one of the things I love about this site is that we are able to help each other out and to learn from each other. Everyone here has really helped me learn so much that has deepened my faith, not only in HaShem, but also in the innate goodness of folks. Even though I don't like what MG, BB, and LJM are doing, I still pray for them, that they will come to their senses and know the truth, so that the truth can make them free.

• 48. Sagesse  |  July 26, 2010 at 11:54 am

I think this is a case of 'don't confuse me with the facts'. There are Evangelical Christian groups who believe that sinners and non-believers can ruin it for everyone and they have to be stopped.

Not an expert in theocracy, but that's the notion Larry was putting across.

• 49. B&E  |  July 26, 2010 at 11:55 am

This guy reminds me of family and family friends that I was forced to be around all of my childhood and teenage years. There is no reasoning with people like this. They have no abilites of logic and follow the tooth fairy, Easter Bunny and Santa. It amazes me that most of the serious haters are generally closeted filled with hate for themselves. I've tried years to escape this type of brainwashing. Truly made me sick remembering this garbage that spews disguised as love.

• 50. Sheryl Carver  |  July 26, 2010 at 12:00 pm

I believe it's a video – documentary about LGBTs who went to Annapolis.

• 51. Anonygrl  |  July 26, 2010 at 12:05 pm

And in actual fact, the neighbors came around to Lot's house looking to get to know these VIPs that Lot was hosting. Part of the culture was that the more important your guest was, the more important YOU were, so the neighbors wanted to play host too. Lot turned them away at the door, but they wouldn't go. Finally he offered them his virgin daughters to do with as they pleased (read 'gang rape') if only they would stop bothering him. That Lot, he was QUITE the righteous man.

The idea that the neighbors wanted to have SEX with the angels was added in a much later translation.

• 52. Richard W. Fitch  |  July 26, 2010 at 12:09 pm

Bil is right: What a dog and pony show! I was there! Be sure to check out the Bilerico Project and see all the slides. Today had the most supporters for Marriage Equality so far on the tour, as much as 5 to 1(especially if you don't count all the gNOMe staffers). They only respect in which the gNOMes can claim any success is that they are experiencing more and more opposition, which in turn allows them to make claims of being the victims.

• 53. Greg  |  July 26, 2010 at 12:09 pm

I feel sorry for him.

• 54. Paul  |  July 26, 2010 at 12:12 pm

Ah, good old Leviticus also says in 21:20 that he who has a defect in his sight cannot approach the alter of God… and that guy is clearly wearing glasses.

Someone should send him this letter: http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/drlaura.a

• 55. Em  |  July 26, 2010 at 12:21 pm

Just a thought…

If NOM wants to cite Soddom and Gomorrah, they should have to abide by the story, and when fewer than ten "righteous" people show up from a town for their events, they should nuke it. I'd like to see their reactions if this was suggested to them.

On second thought, that must be why they're bringing a minimum of ten of their own to every town…just so God won't rain down fire while they're there.

• 56. Chris B  |  July 26, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Yup, I know this type too. They believe what they are taught without questioning. I wish she had asked him if he believes adultery is a sin that should be punished with death, or if it is wrong for a woman to speak in church. Those verses in the bible are very clear (I don't know how "For it is a disgrace for a woman to speak in church" can be any clearer). But these people ignore these verses.

It's impossible to reason with these people because they will believe what they want to believe and will ignore facts or simple logic (like how could an entire city before mass communication or mass travel be entirely gay? Gay people have been streaming into San Francisco for decades but is only 10% gay.)

• 57. Straight Ally #3008  |  July 26, 2010 at 12:36 pm

You know what's particularly, pathetic? The Westboro Baptist Church is usually less violent than this guy in their imagery. I hope that fella doesn't eat shrimp or pork and I hope he doesn't have a female friend or relative who wasn't a virgin on her wedding night, 'cause, you know…stoning!

[youtube =http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIaORknS1Dk&hl=en_US&fs=1]

• 58. AndrewPDX  |  July 26, 2010 at 12:37 pm

Instead of just SUBscribing, I think I'll PREscribe some healthy medication: P8TT / NOMTT.

• 59. Dpeck  |  July 26, 2010 at 12:38 pm

Yes, the guy is messed up. Should we pity him? be angry with him? Pray for him? I dunno.

But I do know – as unpleasant as it must be for folks on our side to spend time in the presence of people like "Lynchin' Larry", I'm actually very glad that people like him are showing up to support NOM. It makes it clear that that whole freakshow is NOT about a difference of opinion about who should be allowed to legally marry, it's about hating and oppressing and even advocating killing LGBTs.

If you're at one of these events and you see some off-the-deep-end hater like this guy, bring him/her to the attention of any press that may be present and make sure they get him on TV so the public gets a clear view of NOM's REAL message.

The truth is on our side, and not just when WE tell it. It's also on our side when the other side fails to hide their lies well enough.

• 60. Straight Ally #3008  |  July 26, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Cat, that is an amazing film.

• 61. Roger  |  July 26, 2010 at 12:40 pm

NOM drinking game: Take a swig every time you see NOM staff trying to interrupt or stop an interview with one of their supporters.

• 62. Southern Bell  |  July 26, 2010 at 12:42 pm

Even though Larry's sign disturbed me and I cannot believe he really, honestly thinks that and would carry it out given the chance, I applaud the interview. I am happy there was a civil conversation from both sides and not too much baiting going on. Honest conversation and listening keeps you from getting defensive and maybe no one's mind will be changed but at least we understand views a bit better. Keep it up Arisha and Co.! We can at least continue to show decency and respect even if we do not always receive it in return. We have to remember to take the high road no matter how difficult or frustrating.

• 63. Ed  |  July 26, 2010 at 12:44 pm

you goddamn bitch…..Karen White was the lone holdout vote for the sexual orientation measure in South Bend. Thats right, we are homosexuals, not *real* people. And the tagline for this city is "….building a 21'st century city"…..what utter bullshit.

• 64. Richard A. Walter (s  |  July 26, 2010 at 12:46 pm

Don't tell me she managed to keep the oppression legal again!

• 65. Ed  |  July 26, 2010 at 12:51 pm

yes richard, she did

• 66. Alan E.  |  July 26, 2010 at 12:59 pm

I think she was trying to not be so provocative and keep him on camera more. He was saying enough without her needing to ask deeper questions.

• 67. AndrewPDX  |  July 26, 2010 at 1:01 pm

Watch… NOM will conveniently edit their footage so that this guy never existed. Then, they'll continue playing the martyr, just like always. "Larry? Never heard of him; nope, nobody at our love-fest would have ever dared to have a sign like that. I'm sure you're just imagining things."

Love,
    Andrew

• 68. Sagesse  |  July 26, 2010 at 1:06 pm

Note to website admin… the layout on the South Bend page is messed up. Ain't technology grand?

• 69. Eden James  |  July 26, 2010 at 1:19 pm

Yeah, we know. Trying to fix it now. Sorry folks.

• 70. Sagesse  |  July 26, 2010 at 1:32 pm

On a very sadly related note, a gay man was beaten to death in Ft Wayne over the weekend

Did You Say “Hate Is Not A Family Value” Maggie…?

• 71. 4eyedsue  |  July 26, 2010 at 1:49 pm

Me too. Made me cry. He truly believes he's caring for lost souls.

• 72. Lightning Baltimore  |  July 26, 2010 at 1:59 pm

That's not hate. That's sharing the truth in love . . . and violence.

• 73. Sean  |  July 26, 2010 at 2:01 pm

I…that's just…I don't even know what to say. I truly cannot comprehend that level of disgust and hatred. How do you respond to something like that?

How can NOM possibly think they're doing the right thing when they have supporters running around with signs like that?

• 74. Bolt  |  July 26, 2010 at 2:03 pm

Thanks, that was entertaining!

• 75. Lightning Baltimore  |  July 26, 2010 at 2:04 pm

Regarding Sodom & Gomorrah:

God is allegedly omniscient and omnipresent, right?

How is it, then, that he had to send a pair of Angels to Sodom to find out if there was even one righteous man amongst the citizenry?

If he knows every hair upon our heads before we are born, how on Earth could he have not known the headcount of righteous men in Sodom??

• 76. Mark M  |  July 26, 2010 at 2:06 pm

That is so very sad. Rest in peace Paul. Any idea how his surviving husband is?

• 77. BradK  |  July 26, 2010 at 4:58 pm

Put this up over on GoodAsYou and thought I'd share here.

• 78. Erkhyan  |  July 26, 2010 at 5:00 pm

"And after God rained fire on Sodom and Gomorrah, He suddenly realized that He had forgotten to ask His angels pull the babies and infants out of the cities before destroying them. And then the Almighty swore. Loudly."

Hahaha, nope, I really don't buy into a supposedly "loving" God destroying whole cities because all of their population were unsalvageable, except for a man with no real qualms about letting a crowd rape his daughters (and said daughters, reportedly, were willing to rape their father in his sleep so they could fall pregnant by him).

– Franck P. Rabeson
    Days spent apart from my fiancé because of DOMA: 1131 days, as of today.

• 79. Erkhyan  |  July 26, 2010 at 5:03 pm

I always assumed they were destroyed because they had forsaken compassion and had succumbed to egoism. But then again, what of the babies? The infants, the unborn, the innocent kids? Were they saved, too, or were they just as wretched as their parents?

– Franck P. Rabeson
    Days spent apart from my fiancé because of DOMA: 1131 days, as of today.

• 80. Franck  |  July 26, 2010 at 5:04 pm

… why did I use my usual internet pseudonym instead of my real name there, as I normally do? I must be still sleepy.

• 81. Franck  |  July 26, 2010 at 5:13 pm

The linked article says that he suffered injuries to both legs and had to be put under heavy medication… but that was two months ago. True, we'd like to know how he is now.

– Franck P. Rabeson
    Days spent apart from my fiancé because of DOMA: 1131 days, as of today.

• 82. Franck  |  July 26, 2010 at 5:24 pm

Off-topic, I've been on a roll of militancy lately. I just posted a call for help on a LGBTQ-centered forum, I've been e-mailing left and right…

And then there's this gem. I'd been invited to a local forum four years ago (almost to the day) to participate in a debate about homosexuality (sadly the forum is in French, but I've heard Google Translate makes an acceptable job out of it). I must say, I acquired some of a reputation for being quite the debater, and I managed to get to most of the participants, even the resident Muslim (he used to be the most vocal opponent). Then, a few days ago, enter the homophobic nutjob. He's been known to be almost trollish in his behavior and the other members often avoid interacting with him because of that. But I've taken him to task: my philosophy of life, based on compassion and understanding, against his, supposedly centered on "reason." I must say it was nice to see him struggle to find arguments against compassion as a lifestyle…

– Franck P. Rabeson
    Days spent apart from my fiancé because of DOMA: 1131 days, as of today.

• 83. NOM embarrassed (yet agai&hellip  |  July 26, 2010 at 5:45 pm

[…] (VIDEO) NOM supporter’s “solution to gay marriage”: Lynching gay couples « P…  |  July 26, 2010 at 5:31 […]

• 84. Box Turtle Bulletin &raqu&hellip  |  July 26, 2010 at 6:09 pm

[…] Larry Adams. When the Trial Trackers interviewed Mr. Adams, a NOM staffer advised him not to say “anything inflammatory” but seemed to have no […]

• 85. Joel  |  July 26, 2010 at 6:43 pm

I seem to remember from my bar-mitzvah days, that my Rabbi seemed to think the most important point of the story of Sodom and G'morrah was that Abraham bartered with G-d

• 86. Rick  |  July 26, 2010 at 6:43 pm

I think the interviewer, maybe in an attempt to not seem agitated or scare him off, was a little too soft on Mr. Adams. I think even an unbiased, fair-minded reporter would have asked him directly why he used the images of nooses and whether or not he thought it would be okay if someone hung 2 gay people wanting to marry or who were married. If he answered anything in the negative to that question (backpedaling from the violent image), I would've followed up with the question asking if he would feel bad if someone killed a gay married couple.

• 87. Joel  |  July 26, 2010 at 6:47 pm

Your Mom raised a real mench and an eloquent writer, Dave!

• 88. Joel  |  July 26, 2010 at 6:57 pm

Hello, Baltimore,
    You're trying to hold the Bible up to the standard of logic. That won't work. There are too many contradictions in the Bible, and it's been interpreted and translated, sometimes with malicious intent, too many times. And aside from the Ten Commandments, which came directly from G-d to Moses, may a blessing be on his memory, the Bible is the word of men, not of G-d.

• 89. Truth Wins Out - Did You &hellip  |  July 26, 2010 at 7:01 pm

[…] Kincaid adds, “That’s Larry Adams. When the Trial Trackers interviewed Mr. Adams, a NOM staffer advised him not to say “anything inflammatory” but seemed to have no objection […]

• 90. Sagesse  |  July 26, 2010 at 9:55 pm

Sorry, the article made it look more recent, and I didn't notice the date in the article. Still very sad. And NOM feels threatened if gay men stand five feet away from a young mother and her family, or brings his dogs to a park. Brian Brown's family has a bodyguard.

• 91. PamC  |  July 26, 2010 at 11:23 pm

Yes, and how ironic that the study came out of Virginia, one of the most homophobic states. Truth is truth.

• 92. ArishaMichelle  |  July 26, 2010 at 11:58 pm

Sorry folks – We realized Larry was holding the lynching sign after we completed this interview (he was hiding it behind the Sodom sign); otherwise, I would have asked him about it.

• 93. Lightning Baltimore  |  July 27, 2010 at 12:12 am

Perhaps he realized a sign with nooses on it might be offensive to an African American woman, but had no qualms about offender LGBT folks.

• 94. Alan E.  |  July 27, 2010 at 12:45 am

One of the reasons I moved away. Of course it's not just homophobic but backwards in some areas. I had a woman in rural VA tell me that out there they "like to beat the virgin Mary." In other words, it's a good thing if you get pregnant at a younger age than Mary. How do you respond to that?!

• 95. Sarah  |  July 27, 2010 at 12:46 am

I agree here! I was impressed by the calm manor in which both sides acted. Although we cannot know Larry's mental state, he certainly did give a civil interview. And that, despite the NOMers urging him to not talk to "those people", etc. I, for one, thought it was well done. Yes, perhaps there should have been some tougher questioning, but at this point, it is what it is.

• 96. Sarah  |  July 27, 2010 at 12:48 am

Can anyone tell me how to use HTML for bolding or italicizing things in posts? Thanks! :)

• 97. Alan E.  |  July 27, 2010 at 12:59 am

Sarah, remember B for bold and I for italics. At the beginning of the text you want to make pretty, start with one of the two letters in between these two: (don't put a comma. If this doesn't show up, I'll clarify in another post). At the end of the text, put the same group of characters, but put a slash right before the letter like this /b (inside the two arrow-like characters). It's hard to write it out because I may inadvertently change the text and the HTML code will hide.

• 98. Alan E.  |  July 27, 2010 at 1:05 am

Shoot, they disappeared. Do you see all the letters and words inside two arrows below the text box? Use that format at the beginning of the text you want to edit (b for bold, I for italics). That is the "open" tag. At the end of the text, use the same format but use a slash right before the letter (/b or /I). That is the "close" tag. Practice it and you should be able to get the basics.

• 99. Mark M. (Seattle)  |  July 27, 2010 at 1:15 am

Facts? I heard no facts only opinions……………..

• 100. Dpeck  |  July 27, 2010 at 1:17 am

Hi Joel!

Thanks. And you shoulda seen mom fighting Prop 8. An eighty year old lady in the middle of conservative Orange County with a great big "No on 8" yard sign in the middle of the front lawn. Go moms!

p.s. give me a shout if you two are ever out here in the SF area. See ya!

• 101. Sagesse  |  July 27, 2010 at 1:24 am

Arisha, I just want to take the opportunity to say that I like the interview style of the Tour Tracker team. I assume it is what they teach at Camp Courage. I know others here would like a more 'persistent' approach, but I don't think you would get as much out of the NOM supporters you interview if you asked questions they would see as aggressive, or confrontational, or tried to educate or debate them… they're not into listening. Very professional, and I don't know how you keep your cool when speaking to these people.

• 102. Sarah  |  July 27, 2010 at 2:06 am

Cool, I think that makes sense. Thanks! We'll see if this worked…

• 103. Sarah  |  July 27, 2010 at 2:07 am

Yeah it did. :)

• 104. Steve  |  July 27, 2010 at 2:41 am

There is better stuff. Right there in Leviticus it says that you can't eat shellfish or rabbit. And that you can't wear cloths made of mixed fabrics.

The really idiotic thing is that Leviticus outlines rules for male levitican priests. Not for the general population.

• 105. Tom Chicago  |  July 27, 2010 at 2:57 am

Here is a link to the Northwest Indiana Times report on yesterdays protest in Indianapolis.

Gay rights supporters outshout traditional marriage proponents at Indy rally

• 106. Rob Tisinai  |  July 27, 2010 at 3:17 am

Until NOM disavows this protest sign, ere's a new logo I whipped up for them:

• 107. Rob Tisinai  |  July 27, 2010 at 3:18 am

Okay, well, that link didn't work. How about this:

• 108. Lightning Baltimore  |  July 27, 2010 at 3:21 am

I hate headlines like this, They're not "traditional marriage proponents;" they're "opponents of marriage equality." The former puts a positive spin on a prejudiced and harmful viewpoint.

• 109. Rob Tisinai  |  July 27, 2010 at 3:22 am

Okay, sorry, one last try:

• 110. rf  |  July 27, 2010 at 3:33 am

Very nice! i think the nooses need a little something. perhaps they should be hanging the stickpeople in the courage campaign (protect marriage) logo– two men or two women of course.

• 111. Elsie  |  July 27, 2010 at 3:41 am

I liked this article despite the headline. It's gives us positive coverage. I also smiled that they put scare quotes around "traditional marriage"

• 112. Straight Grandmother  |  July 27, 2010 at 3:42 am

Nice job! I think you might have even gotten NOM's font correct. I like the red and blue nooses, shows they are non partisan in their hatred of GLBT people.

• 113. BradK  |  July 27, 2010 at 3:49 am

LOL! That tops the one I did last night:

• 114. michele  |  July 27, 2010 at 4:04 am

has anyone tried contacting the phone number on larry adam's signs? i'm trying to read them but having some troubles. i can't find any info on this supposed cross bearers ministry—any ideas? i'd like to call them and ask them their opinion of his sign

• 115. Kathleen  |  July 27, 2010 at 4:11 am

The number is 317-7873. No area code given.

• 116. michele  |  July 27, 2010 at 4:12 am

thanks…it seems like there is a different number on the other sign…looks like maybe it's 763-530-3268 ?

• 117. michele  |  July 27, 2010 at 4:23 am

figured out one of them… (765) 534-3268 this is larry adam's home number apparently

• 118. michele  |  July 27, 2010 at 4:56 am

well that was pretty anticlimatic. I called his personal number and spoke with his wife. When I asked her what Cross Bearer's Ministry was, she informed me that it is basically a street ministry where she and her husband walk around with signs. I didn't even go any further than that…figured there wasn't a point arguing…

• 119. Sagesse  |  July 27, 2010 at 5:13 am

Bil Brown at Bilerico has posted video of Maggie Gallagher's speech from Indianapolis

Showing NOM some Hoosier hospitality

• 120. anonygrl  |  July 27, 2010 at 5:29 am

Actually, your interview was PERFECT. You came across as someone who was interested in knowing his side of the story, not someone who had an agenda they wanted to push. The great advantage to that is, with NO editing, you appear calm, reasoned and sane, and that poor man looks exactly like what we all know he is. By not attacking, you let them sink themselves. Every time I've seen footage of your interviews of Maggie and Brian and whoever else, I have had the same thought. Great job.

• 121. celdd  |  July 27, 2010 at 5:32 am

I looked up the address on Google maps and went to the street view. It's a house in a very rural area. Definitly not a church building.

• 122. anonygrl  |  July 27, 2010 at 5:51 am

May I suggest we do NOT contact Larry? First off, it lends credence to the idea that they need to protect their supporters from us harrassing them, second, it lends weight to Larry himself as someone who is important.

Leave him alone. Let the video and pictures speak for themselves.

• 123. anonygrl  |  July 27, 2010 at 5:53 am

I googled Cross Bearers and got a Catholic street ministry that is mostly bikers who go places and do street ministry.

Nothing terribly interesting there.

• 124. Leslie  |  July 27, 2010 at 6:06 am

It says this in Leviticus also http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u258/girlystas

• 125. Josh  |  July 27, 2010 at 9:44 am

He is the one who has turned things upside down. He has the backward belief. His understanding of right is actually WRONG. When will these nomos finally realize that? Lev:blah:blah is not about gay couples in love, it's something akin to jail rape. Notice the verse doesn't mention women with women. Oh that's right, women are supposed to be property of men.

• 126. Madison, WI: In largest c&hellip  |  July 27, 2010 at 10:55 am

[…] more than tripled the number from NOM’s side, and where one of their supporters was caught with a sign claiming the solution to “gay marriage” was two nooses, we’re in Madison, WI […]

• 127. Jeremiah Mulford  |  July 27, 2010 at 11:30 am

I live in indianapolis. I didn't even know they were here! As i have found so far, there is NO church in indy called Cross Bearer Ministry. This has to be this guys OWN Church. I've gotten the info off the signs and i'm going to video tape my findings and post them on my site and my youtube channel.

Can't sit back and let this crap stand anymore.

• 128. PuddyTat  |  July 27, 2010 at 12:53 pm

"when you talk to god, you're praying – when god talks to you, you're schizophrenic."

• 129. An amazing 24 hours: Roun&hellip  |  July 27, 2010 at 5:01 pm

[…] of Larry Adams sign and our interview with him is certainly making the rounds on the Web. I’ve seen it on The Advocate, Dallas […]

• 130. Top Posts — WordPre&hellip  |  July 27, 2010 at 5:13 pm

[…] (VIDEO) NOM supporter’s “solution to gay marriage”: Lynching gay couples (Check out the news from the South Bend City Council meeting. Meanwhile, Bil Browning, founder of the Bilerico […] […]

• 131. Katie  |  July 28, 2010 at 2:46 am

Yes, yes. Sin is VERY nasty stuff and must be eradicated wherever found. This is why Christ left VERY clear instructions on application of the death penalty:

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."
    — John 8:7

Lynching is murder. Isn't there a Bible verse or six about that?

• 132. Richard A. Walter (s  |  July 28, 2010 at 3:01 am

In fact, there is. It comes from Exodus, and has commonly been mistranslated as "Thou shalt not kill."
    Forgive me for being rather precise, and some would say, picky, about scripture. This comes from a lifetime of having them used against me, so I have studied them very deeply in order to learn what the original languages actually said, added to being the rebbitizen for an openly gay Lubavitcher hassidic rabbi in the Bible belt.
    Another mistranslation is in the quote from Rabbi Yoshua ben Yosef of Nazareth about the "eunuchs." There were actually three Greek words that were mistranslated as "eunuch" in this verse. In the first instance, the word that was mistranslated gave us the root for the modern day term homosexual. In the second instance, that word led to the word castration. And the third instance helped us get the word celibate. And since the folks at NOM claim to follow Yoshua ben Yosef, and say that he is G-d, (the OEM of the human race), then you would think that they would listen to him about the fact that we are born this way. After all, doesn't the OEM know about the product he or she produces? I mean, you go to GM for parts to maintain your Chevrolet because they are the OEM, right?

• 133. BradK  |  July 28, 2010 at 4:09 am

What we need is an OEM version of the Bible. Do away with all these revisionist, mistranslated, redacted, Vatican central committee-approved propaganda pieces being foisted upon the unwashed masses as the Word of God for the sole purpose of keeping them in fearful servitude.

Who are these mere men that believe they wield final editorial authority over God?

• 134. Richard A. Walter (s  |  July 28, 2010 at 4:12 am

Yes, and I love what Susan B. Anthony had to say about mistrusting those who claim to know the will of G-d, finding that it so often coincided with their own desires.
    I really have to wonder what MG would say about the fact that the woman who worked so hard to ensure that MG would have the right to vote was a lesbian? I wonder if that would change her mind about us?

• 135. BradK  |  July 28, 2010 at 4:28 am

Richard,

Trying to deconstruct or intellectualize anything that sub-human says is treading on thin ice. [:`)

I seriously doubt she's though such things through, though if she did it would likely be along the lines of, "Well, Susan B. Anthony may have chosen a homosexual lifestyle but that doesn't diminish my right to vote against your choice to!".

• 136. Richard A. Walter (s  |  July 28, 2010 at 5:38 am

And I would look at her and say, but then, that also means that I have every right to take it to court so that you can no longer oppress me.
    Yes, I realize that this individual is a mistress of the twists of logic that allow her to sleep at night thinking she is doing the right thing, even though the one she claims to follow will probably have more than a few choice words for her before relegating her to the place she truly belongs instead of where she thinks she is going. But I still appreciate the fact that I have my P8TT family with whom I can be honest, and can vent when needed.

• 137. Michael  |  July 28, 2010 at 6:42 am

I would encourage everyone to watch the video. He's reasonable and sane. I'm not sure what the point was in posting the video.

• 138. From someone who kno  |  July 28, 2010 at 11:22 am

From someone who does know this guy…that's soooo far from the truth. Actually it is very enlightening to read people's comments about someone I actually know. Reality check for how completely wrong people can be about what they see on the internet. The internet presents maybe 1% of the truth. I'm sorry ya'll feel this way about this guy. You are very wrong about him.

• 139. Richard A. Walter (s  |  July 28, 2010 at 11:24 am

Then why is his "solution" so barbaric, inhumane, and violent?

• 140. Ann S.  |  July 28, 2010 at 11:26 am

Do you want to enlighten us? Why is he recommending lynching people?

• 141. Ronnie  |  July 28, 2010 at 11:31 am

He's carrying around a sign with 2 nooses & his name on it. It promotes murder of LGBT people…We are not wrong. He is wrong…& he will get NO sympathy from me, because He believes that people like me should be hanged…end of conversation

>( ……Ronnie

• 142. JonT  |  July 28, 2010 at 11:43 am

Well 'From someone who knows', do tell?

We see video. We see sign. What conclusion would you expect us to come to?

Please – feel completely free to elaborate…

• 143. Ann S.  |  July 28, 2010 at 11:43 am

Meh. I suspect a drive-by posting, and predict we'll never hear again from "someone who knows".

• 144. Jeremiah Mulford  |  July 28, 2010 at 11:54 am

Drove by where this Cross Bearer Church is supposed to be at. It's a house not a church. Now before people start getting mad at me, I know some people run churches out of their house. I understand that, but at the same time, I was emailed information about the Cross Bearer church isn't registered in the state of Indiana for taxes. I also was able to track down his real address in Noblesville, IN. Anyone feel like protesting Outside his house this weekend?

• 145. JonT  |  July 28, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Someone had posted previously (cannot seem to get my search-foo working on this site), that they were able to get his number from one of his signs at the rally.

S/he said they had called the number, and it appeared that this was their home phone number. His wife answered (IIRC), and stated that this 'ministry' was really just he and his wife walking around with signs.

So it's definitely a 2 person operation from what I gathered. They don't really exist as a church per-se.

• 146. NOM swears it preaches lo&hellip  |  July 29, 2010 at 6:09 am

[…] showed up, but about 250 LGBT community members also came to protest the event. According to the Courage Campaign, this was NOM’s second-biggest turnout since the tour began in […]

• 147. Dan  |  July 29, 2010 at 8:02 am

While I agree that Mr Adams doesn't know what he's talking about with regards to being gay, myself, being born gay, I truly feel that Mr Adams has love for gay people, just not love for the supposed sin!  I hope that Mr Adams has shown enough love to others in his lifetime to make up for some of his short comings!  Bless all the gays, straights, bi's, and transgendered!  Bless Mr Adams for at least being a semi good guy!

Love Peace and Freedom,
    Danny boy

Sent from my iPhone

• 148. Sarah  |  July 29, 2010 at 8:47 am

I would have to agree with this sentiment, Dan. He does not appear to hate the people there, nor the interviewer. But he holds to the "love the sinner, hate the sin" doctrine that can ultimately be detrimental. You put it nicely here; I was struggling to find the right words to say that same thing.

• 149. Jude  |  July 29, 2010 at 1:46 pm

317 IS the area code for Indy. So, it needs more numbers :)

• 150. NOM’s growing despe&hellip  |  July 29, 2010 at 4:34 pm

[…] NOM’s typical ploy is to conjure up phony claims of harassment and infringement and complain when anyone speaks the truth about its record and agenda. In its increasingly cynical attempts to provoke responses from equality supporters, NOM’s “One Man, One Woman” tour has devolved from a media gimmick to a display of prejudice and incitement to violence. […]

• 151. Michael Crawford: NOMR&hellip  |  July 29, 2010 at 5:23 pm

[…] NOM's typical ploy is to conjure up phony claims of harassment and infringement and complain when anyone speaks the truth about its record and agenda. In its increasingly cynical attempts to provoke responses from equality supporters, NOM's "One Man, One Woman" tour has devolved from a media gimmick to a display of prejudice and incitement to violence. […]

• 152. Susan In Australia  |  July 30, 2010 at 12:33 pm

"Richard Walter – soon to be 'Walter Jernigan' " – I'm presuming that you and your partner are 'tying the knot'?
    COOL!!!

• 153. Richard A. Walter (s  |  July 30, 2010 at 12:55 pm

@ Susan in Australia. yes, we are, just as soon as we get everything in place for the two trips to Washington, DC, to accomplish all of it. Pictures will be posted here, on my FB page, and also on my WP blog, followed by pictures from our chasunah (Jewish religious ceremony). thanks for your kind words.

• 154. Marriage Tour 2010: What &hellip  |  August 13, 2010 at 5:18 am

[…] The results of the tour have been mixed, at best. Reports of small turn-outs, violent posters and counter-protests have dominated the news coverage of the tour. One thing is clear to me — NOM is not a serious threat to marriage equality. President Obama, sadly, is a threat to marriage equality, as are some state governments and politicians. But not NOM. If Marriage Tour 2010 was successful in attracting new supporters across the country, we may have had a reason to take them seriously, but it doesn’t appear that was the case. Instead, the entire tour has been perceived as a desperate, last-ditch effort to create a culture war in a country where citizens are growing increasingly more in favor of legalized marriage equality. As Michael Crawford wrote for the Huffington Post: NOM’s typical ploy is to conjure up phony claims of harassment and infringement and complain when anyone speaks the truth about its record and agenda. In its increasingly cynical attempts to provoke responses from equality supporters, NOM’s “One Man, One Woman” tour has devolved from a media gimmick to a display of prejudice and incitement to violence. […]

• 155. Jen-Bunny  |  August 26, 2010 at 8:58 am

I'll take that job!!!

• 156. Show us what really happe&hellip  |  August 26, 2010 at 12:51 pm

[…] one man and one woman at each stop. From its supporters speaking in tongues and calling for the murder of gay people, to police threatening Courage’s Tour Trackers with arrest at NOM’s behest, NOM has […]

• 157. They’re baaaaaack: &hellip  |  September 27, 2010 at 11:12 am

[…] Will they hold more rallies in empty parking lots? Will the fringey fringe from places like Indianapolis and Harrisburg show […]

• 158. They’re baaaaaack: NOM &hellip  |  September 28, 2010 at 8:41 am

• 159. HRC & Courage Campaig&hellip  |  September 28, 2010 at 10:55 am

[…] The NOM Tour Tracker showed NOM’s summer tour consistently outnumbered three-to-one by pro-equality counter rally participants organized by Freedom to Marry and state LGBT organizations.  It also showed NOM staff attempting to limit public access to their events and NOM’s sparse supporters doing everything from speaking in tongues, to comparing marriage equality to genocide and advocating the murder of LGBT families. […]

• 160. HRC, Courage Campaign lau&hellip  |  September 28, 2010 at 11:28 am

[…] The NOM Tour Tracker showed NOM’s summer tour consistently outnumbered three-to-one by pro-equality counter rally participants organized by Freedom to Marry and state LGBT organizations.  It also showed NOM staff attempting to limit public access to their events, and NOM’s sparse supporters doing everything from speaking in tongues, to comparing marriage equality to genocide and advocating the murder of LGBT families. […]

• 161. HRC & Courage Campaig&hellip  |  September 28, 2010 at 11:14 pm

• 162. HRC, Courage Campaign lau&hellip  |  September 29, 2010 at 7:54 am

• 163. 20 hard questions Brian B&hellip  |  October 26, 2010 at 9:46 am

[…] of Americans of all faith backgrounds support marriage equality. Why do NOM’s supporters call for killing gay people, or restricting their ability to be teachers, adopt children, or serve in the military, citing the […]

• 164. 20 hard questions Brian B&hellip  |  October 26, 2010 at 10:06 am

[…] Millions of Americans of all faith backgrounds support marriage equality. Why do NOM’s supporters call for killing gay people, or restricting their ability to be teachers, adopt children, or serve in the military, citing the […]

• 165. BAM  |  October 28, 2010 at 5:36 am

why does it matter to anyone else who people marry??? it's none of anyone else business! how would you feel if you couldn't marry the one you love?

• 166. Monkey Man emerges on NOM&hellip  |  October 28, 2010 at 1:49 pm

[…] over the last four months — Dr. Alveda King in Atlanta, Larry Adams an Indianapolis (the man who carried a sign stating that the “solution for gay marriage” was lynching), and Dave Davidson from Des Moines (who worried that if same-sex was marriage legal, people might […]

• 167. James  |  December 10, 2010 at 10:37 am

Hi, I am a little confused. I am reading a lot about God in this thread, but why does this have to be about that? Marriage is a civil and legal right; our struggle today is nearly equivalent to the struggle faced by African Americans and their white lovers 50 years ago as the interviewer engaged in. Wasn't that fight just about bigotry, too? Fight for equality, legality, and civility, not for why God may or may not love you. It is important that we know that these biblical cob-webs we argue about and become trapped in are of exceedingly little importance.

• 168. The “Explaining of &hellip  |  February 17, 2011 at 10:33 am

[…] context). At one rally last summer on a tour sponsored by the National Organization for Marriage, one of their supporters came out with nooses on his sign that said “THE SOLUTION TO GAY MARRIAGE.” Who wouldn’t be taken aback if they […]

• 169. Free games&hellip  |  May 11, 2011 at 8:11 am

Check it out…

[…]while the sites we link to below are completely unrelated to ours, we think they are worth a read, so have a look[…]…

• 170. free stuff&hellip  |  May 11, 2011 at 11:48 am

The best website…

[…]here are some links to sites that we link to because we think they are worth visiting[…]…

• 171. Tegaderm Film&hellip  |  May 11, 2011 at 2:00 pm

tegaderm medical gear…

I would like to get as many links to my site as posible, rite now this is what I am doing!…

• 172. free website&hellip  |  May 11, 2011 at 5:17 pm

Get it…

[…]Cool info[…]…

• 173. labor day canada&hellip  |  May 11, 2011 at 5:42 pm

Inet Reader…

[…]follow the other links to read more[…]…

• 174. Claudette Nettleingham  |  June 18, 2011 at 1:38 am

Simply wish to say your article is as surprising. The clearness in your post is simply great and i could assume you are an expert on this subject. Fine with your permission let me to grab your RSS feed to keep up to date with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please carry on the enjoyable work.