Will acting California Gov. Abel Maldonado intervene in the Prop 8 trial?

Right-wing Trial analysis

(This subject was a hot topic on P8TT comment threads over the weekend. Karen’s piece below is cross-posted on LGBTPOV. — Eden)

By Karen Ocamb

Open PrimariesCalifornia Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger is in China trying to drum up business for the economically ailing state and his appointee, Lt. Gov. Abel Maldonado (pictured here with Schwarzenegger), is Acting Governor while he’s out of the country. That prompted the forces behind Prop 8 to call for an urgent pressure on Maldonado, who supported Prop 8, to use this time to file an appeal of Judge Vaughn Walker’s ruling with the US 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, thereby theoretically giving the Prop 8 proponents government-backed standing before the court. Both Schwarzenegger and Attorney General Jerry Brown say they will not appeal Walker’s ruling.

Today is the deadline to file such a notice of appeal. The Prop 8 forces are essentially threatening Maldonado, who is running to keep the job at Lt. Governor against challenger Gavin Newsom. Right now Newsom has HUGE name recognition in the state while Maldonado is “Abel who?” As the Los Angles Times points out, Maldonado’s visibility jumped with the unexpected PG&E gas line explosion in San Bruno last week that has afforded him the opportunity to actually act as a governor, including calling for emergency disaster relief and issue other directives.

This is just a hunch on my part – but I would think Maldonado would want to keep the good press of him doing his job and acting statesman-like, rather than jump into the scalding cauldron of the Prop 8 fight. In case you’re unaware of how serious this San Bruno tragedy is and how Maldonado is handling it – here he is on CNN:

UPDATE BY EDEN: Think Progress weighs in:

It’s difficult to imagine that Maldonado would actually do such a thing, however. For one thing, he presently has much more important matters to deal with. Not long after Schwarzenegger left for China, a massive gas explosion occurred in San Bruno, California. As the state’s acting governor, Maldonado has been quite busy dealing with this tragic development.

Moreover, filing an appeal that Schwarzenegger has consistently and publicly opposed would be nothing less than a declaration of war against the highest ranking official in his state. If the governor had to fear that every time he left the state his decisions would be overruled by Maldonado, Schwarzenegger would be discouraged from traveling outside of the state even when it was in California’s interests for him to do so. Simply put, it makes no sense to have crucial policy decisions rest upon where Gov. Schwarzenegger happens to be sleeping tonight.

URGENT UPDATE BY KAREN: RELIGIOUS RIGHT BOMBARDING MALDONADO’S FACEBOOK PAGE – TELL HIM NOT TO APPEAL – GO HERE.

Tags:

• 1. Brian G  |  September 13, 2010 at 5:33 am

That is totally like trying to convince the babysitter that you can stay up late, watch TV and eat ice cream for dinner!

• 2. AndrewPDX  |  September 13, 2010 at 5:33 am

Personally, I think he has more to worry about than trying to meddle in this. He'd be labeled a fool and uncaring if he were to spend what 'gov' time he has on Prop8.

*starts setting out a table of all sorts of cookies… Kolachis anyone?*

Liberty, Equality, Fraternity
    Andrew

• 3. Steven  |  September 13, 2010 at 5:38 am

I think he won't do this if he does Schwarzenegger or Brown can withdrawal the appeal i think……… Can Schwarzenegger withdrawl the appeal if Maldonado files one?

• 4. Ann S.  |  September 13, 2010 at 5:40 am

Didn't work for me, won't work for Maldo.

• 5. Shrpblnd  |  September 13, 2010 at 5:43 am

I doubt he will intevene, for another reason. If he deliberately ignores the wishes of the Governor, who very clearly expressed his intention NOT to appeal, it will serve to dramatically highlight how archaic the California laws regarding the duties of the Lt. Governor are in this state.

The law that authorizes him to act as Governor when the the sitting one is out of the country, is an artifact of a time when international communications were poor.

It is highly likely that this sort of event would lead a call to major changes in how the Lt. Governor's office is structured, including leading to both offices being from a slate, much like the President and VP are currently elected.

I seriously doubt Maldonado wants to open up that can of worms.

• 6. Joel  |  September 13, 2010 at 5:46 am

You just didn't know how to manipulate your babysitter, Ann

• 7. Fred  |  September 13, 2010 at 5:49 am

Does anyonone knows until what time Maldonado has to file whatever they want to file, I was sure was until noon today, tank you

• 8. AndrewPDX  |  September 13, 2010 at 5:51 am

In the previous "Witt Standard" thread, John mentions @ September 13, 2010 at 11:45 am

<cite>Since the appeals deadline fell on a weekend its 6pm according to the Northern California District Court clerk.</cite>

So, just another 5 hours to wait.

Liberty, Equality, Fraternity
    Andrew

• 9. Sagesse  |  September 13, 2010 at 5:51 am

Subscribing and hoping Maldonado gives us nothing to talk about on this thread.

• 10. Richard A. Walter (s  |  September 13, 2010 at 5:52 am

Here's hoping he does the smart thing and stays out of this.

• 11. Joel  |  September 13, 2010 at 5:54 am

In the previous thread, someone (I forget who, my apologies) said that district clerk verified that because the deadline to file was on a weekend, the deadline today is 6PM. I still haven't seen a difinitive answer to the question of whether the Governor would be able to reverse that motion on his return.

• 12. Joel  |  September 13, 2010 at 5:57 am

Jeez, waiting for something not to happen is even more nerve-wracking than waiting for a judge's ruling!

• 13. Joel  |  September 13, 2010 at 6:05 am

I knew that looked weird. Definitive is what I meant to type.

• 14. Bill  |  September 13, 2010 at 6:09 am

a NEW low.

who knew???

• 15. Joel  |  September 13, 2010 at 6:11 am

It's all rather Kafka-esque, don't you think?

• 16. Lesbians Love Boies  |  September 13, 2010 at 6:17 am

just subscribing

• 17. Linda  |  September 13, 2010 at 6:21 am

So, are those in favor of prop 8 saying that if Maldonado DOESN'T file an appeal, then they're going to vote for Newsom???

That's a pretty empty threat, IMO.

• 18. pgbach  |  September 13, 2010 at 6:22 am

Steven, I believe you are correct.

• 19. Bluprntguy  |  September 13, 2010 at 6:24 am

Maybe a lawyer could clarify, but the suit was filed against Schwarzenegger and Brown specifically. The "State of California", "Attorney General" and/or the "Governor" aren't defendants. Schwarzenegger has his own private legal defense (although surely generously funded by the people of CA). I doubt it's even possible for Maldonado to appeal of Schwarzenegger's behalf.

• 20. Steven  |  September 13, 2010 at 6:27 am

i think you are right….

• 21. Ann S.  |  September 13, 2010 at 6:29 am

I believe Schwarzenegger was sued in his role as governor. It's not a suit against him personally.

• 22. Tracy  |  September 13, 2010 at 6:31 am

Maldonado wouldn't dare – he would come under so much fire for taking precious time away from the suffering people of San Bruno (no pun intended) — in favor of a divisive political issue and in contradiction of the wishes of the state government that he serves — that his political career would be over.

• 23. Bill  |  September 13, 2010 at 6:31 am

It's not like Maldonado could, oh I don't know, pick up a phone and call Schwarzenegger or anything like that…

Unless China is now phoneless and I am unaware.

This entire thing is absurd.

• 24. Carol  |  September 13, 2010 at 6:39 am

But Schwarzenegger and Brown were sued in their official capacities, not individually, so as acting governor, I think Maldonado has the same power to act as Schwarzenegger does.

Not that I think he will. He is one of the few Republican legislators I know of who was willing to cross the aisle, and that's what may make him electable for statewide office where nearly half of registered voters are Democrats. I don't see him risking his political career just to energize social conservatives, who can't help him as much as Democrats and independents can.

• 25. RAJ  |  September 13, 2010 at 6:42 am

This is what the rightwing forces responsible for this Hail Mary pass of an effort are saying to their followers:

"Acting Governor Maldonado: File the Appeal Today!

Today is a huge deadline in the fight over traditional marriage. Last month, Judge Vaughn Walker, Chief Judge of the federal district court in San Francisco, ruled that Proposition 8 was unconstitutional. It was a truly amazing decision by a lower court judge, because it not only failed to distinguish but did not even bother citing binding precedent of both the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals and the Supreme Court of the United States itself, both of which have previously held that limiting marriage to opposite-sex unions is a perfectly rational and legitimate governmental purpose."

"So, help Abel Maldonado do the right thing. Call him TODAY to say you support him filing the Notice of Appeal. His office is 916-445-8994. His campaign office is 831-759-2577. Call Now. Call Every Hour. And check my website, EastmanForAG.com, for updates throughout the day! I’ll post there an announcement as soon as he’s filed the Notice of Appeal."

• 26. RAJ  |  September 13, 2010 at 6:49 am

Info on John Eastman's website:

News
    UPDATE ON PHONE CAMPAIGN TO ABEL MALDONADO
    September 13th, 2010

Abel Maldonado’s cell: (805) 689-0001; Scheduler Dennis Emmett’s cell: (916) 769-3038 e-mail: dennis.emmitt@ltg.ca.gov; Campaign Manager Brandon’s cell: (831) 206-6460; e-mail: brandon@abelmaldonado2010.com; clay1757@aol.com

If you have trouble getting through, keep trying—the phones are just overloaded. But you can also try these:

Abel Maldonado’s cell: (805) 689-0001

Scheduler Dennis Emmett’s cell: (916) 769-3038 e-mail: dennis.emmitt@ltg.ca.gov

• 27. RAJ  |  September 13, 2010 at 6:49 am

Ooops, maybe I should have just linked to the site…

• 28. Joel  |  September 13, 2010 at 6:55 am

"both of which have previously held that limiting marriage to opposite-sex unions is a perfectly rational and legitimate governmental purpose.”

In what decision did the SCOTUS rule that there was a legitimate governmental interest in limiting marriage to straight couples? What precedents did Judge Walker fail to address? Baker v Nelson? He did address that, and besides it's old news.

• 29. Straight Grandmother  |  September 13, 2010 at 6:57 am

Yeah… Never thought about that….

• 30. Tim in Sonoma  |  September 13, 2010 at 7:05 am

I would be willing to bet money that Schwarzenegger and Maldonado had some sort of briefing before Schwarzenegger left the state.
    I'm sure this subject came up.I don't think we have anything to worry about.
    Unless Schwarzenegger timed this visit to China perfectly so as to save himself from the scrutiny.
    Scary thought!

• 31. Ronnie  |  September 13, 2010 at 7:07 am

My babysitter was wrapped around my little finger…..mmmmuahahahaha….acting crybaby shoudl not do anything because the Governator well be back to squash that girlie man…..ROFL…..<3…Ronnie

• 32. Bennett  |  September 13, 2010 at 7:08 am

No doubt NOM has prepared two responses in advance.

If he files –

Courageous lieutenant governor stands up to the terminator for marriage and the civil rights of California voters.

If he doesn't file –

Determined to win the marriage fight without resorting to the underhand tactics that we have come to expect from our opponents. NOM applauds the lieutenant governor for exercising restraint in what would have been an easy but opportunistic coup for supporters of marriage and civil rights. The lieutenant governor has set an example for activist governors, judges, and attorneys general everywhere.

Sorry to steal your Thundar NOM (by the way, my cat says NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM all the time, does anyone elses?) but you have become so predictable.

• 33. Ann S.  |  September 13, 2010 at 7:09 am

I really doubt Maldo will be thanking Eastman for giving out his cell phone number.

• 34. Straight Grandmother  |  September 13, 2010 at 7:12 am

As I said yesterday I think he will ask himself the question, "Would Filing an Appeal hurt me or help me get elected?" There appear to be many more down sides than upsides for him on this issue except for one factor.

M.O.N.E.Y for his campaign.

Look how much money was raised to push through Prop8, the CINO's have deep financial resources, who knows how much they are offereing to contribute to his campaign?

It would be so wonderful if an actual lawyer who is familiar with Federal Court Appellate experience would write about this somewhere rather then laymans opinions.

I know when my son worked for a Congressman that they keep a tally on phone calls. So many people called in Yea and so many people called in Nay.

Did anyone here see any type of call to arms (hypothetically fo course) of Leadership of the GLBT community this morning to mobilize? If there has been no call to arms then they must know more of substance and they are not worried.

• 35. Joel  |  September 13, 2010 at 7:15 am

One thing – I don't think their Enflish is good enough to use the proper plural of "attorney general". I'd be willing to bet it will be "attorney generals everywhere."

• 36. AndrewPDX  |  September 13, 2010 at 7:20 am

Tho, technically, I think the plural is "attorneys general", as general is an adjective and not a noun in this case. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Liberty, Equality, Fraternity
    Andrew

• 37. Joel  |  September 13, 2010 at 7:20 am

"Maldy, I'm gig to Asia tomorrow, but remember – if you screw around with pwop 8 zing vile I'm gone, you cull half ME to answer to. I'll be back!"

• 38. Joel  |  September 13, 2010 at 7:22 am

DAMN these iPods and their auto spell! Hope you got it…

• 39. Joel  |  September 13, 2010 at 7:24 am

Exactly my point!

• 40. Straight Grandmother  |  September 13, 2010 at 7:26 am

But then again I think Linda had a good thought. If the CINO's get mad at the current Lt. Gov. Abel Maldonado, his opposition in the race is Newsome (sp?) and isn't Newsom the guy who started issuing the Marriage Licenses that started the ball rolling on Gender Neutral marraige?

So like Linda says, Maldonado is the only candidate the CINO's can vote for even if he does not file their appeal, as they are surly not going to vote for Newsom.

I am so curious to know how much money is on the table for Malando, for his campaign of course.

• 41. Ann S.  |  September 13, 2010 at 7:27 am

LOL!

• 42. Straight Grandmother  |  September 13, 2010 at 7:28 am

I got it, cute :)

• 43. bob  |  September 13, 2010 at 7:31 am

Concensus seems to be (and common sense would indicate as well) that the appeal could be withdrawn at any time.

• 44. bob  |  September 13, 2010 at 7:37 am

I think you're right. Maldonado might be personally be in favor of the state appealing the Prop 8 decision. But he is essentially a caretaker here and that is well-known to everyone. Other actions he's taken while Schwartzenegger is traveling are clearly in line with what the governor would otherwise be doing. I don't think he's had to tackle anything particularly controversial; the biggest deal has been the gas-line explosion in San Bruno which (apart from some future ramifications about PG&E and their having wasted money on ballot initiatives while failing to take care of infrastructure) has little to nothing going on by way of political implications.

He'd really be foolish to make a decision that flies in the face of Schwartzenegger's clearly stated position. Essentially he's a temp, charged with continuing the governor's policies while the governor's away. Politicians who abuse that sort of authority generally end up suffering for it.

• 45. Bennett  |  September 13, 2010 at 7:38 am

Oh, of course! and your right, Maldonado might as well tell them, look!, you all are gonna vote for me whether you like it or not!

• 46. Richard A. Walter (s  |  September 13, 2010 at 7:45 am

You are correct, Andrew PDX, the proper plural for attorney general is attorneys general.

• 47. Bennett  |  September 13, 2010 at 7:52 am

But if he had listened closely he might have heard Maldy muttering under this breath something like "yeah well, just wait until I introduce you to my leeetle friend! (That would be Louis of course.)

• 48. Tim in Sonoma  |  September 13, 2010 at 7:53 am

Got it! LOL

• 49. Richard A. Walter (s  |  September 13, 2010 at 7:55 am

I got it, Joel. But I am just now able to stop laughing long enough to type correctly! Good one!

• 50. Mark  |  September 13, 2010 at 8:02 am

I know as a notary public, the plural is "notaries public".

• 51. nightshayde  |  September 13, 2010 at 8:17 am

I consider myself fairly "up" on politics — but until today, I wouldn't have been able to tell you the Lt. Governor's name without looking it up (and yes – I'm Californian).

• 52. JPM  |  September 13, 2010 at 8:22 am

The Washington Blade has learned that Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) intends to schedule a vote next week on major defense budget legislation that contains "Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell" repeal language, regardless of any objection from members of the U.S. Senate.

• 53. Anonygrl  |  September 13, 2010 at 8:39 am

Yes please!

• 54. Anonygrl  |  September 13, 2010 at 8:42 am

On his facebook page they are saying "Appeal Prop 8 or I will… hold my nose while I vote for you! So there!" And things of that sort.

• 55. Anonygrl  |  September 13, 2010 at 8:42 am

Yes, he was merely named as the highest official representative of the state. It is standard practice to do so. If they were suing a city, the mayor would be named.

• 56. ol&p  |  September 13, 2010 at 8:45 am

If he did such an underhanded thing it would set a dangerous precedent that future governors would have to deal with. That is something that republicans seldom think about, but should be strictly adhered to by all who follow any outrageous action.

• 57. Rhie  |  September 13, 2010 at 8:53 am

Agreed.

• 58. Anonygrl  |  September 13, 2010 at 8:54 am

I can't imagine that he would be able to create such perfect timing in the less than a month he's had to do so. Meeting with foreign leaders takes a bit of lead time, and can't be arranged on the spur of the moment.

• 59. Anonygrl  |  September 13, 2010 at 8:56 am

LOL!!! Well spotted!

And you are probably right.

• 60. Straight Grandmother  |  September 13, 2010 at 8:56 am

Direct Action Lt Dan Choi, thank you for everything you have done to ake this happen.

Now if we could just get Pelosi to move her *ss on ENDA this would be an historical year.

• 61. Sagesse  |  September 13, 2010 at 8:57 am

"The Washington Blade has learned that Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) intends to schedule a vote next week on major defense budget legislation that contains “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” repeal language, regardless of any objection from members of the U.S. Senate."

Reid to schedule ‘Don’t Ask’ vote next week

• 62. Sheryl, Mormon Mothe  |  September 13, 2010 at 9:00 am

To keep on subject, just 2 hours and 5 minutes to find out the answer to our question on the appeal issue.

Now, totally OT. Throwing out a date for the SF improv show get together. October 15, a Friday night. So, anyone who can make it that night, my e-mail is sheryl dot beckett at gmail dot com So looking forward to meeting those who can come and do bring spouses, partners, friends, the more the merrier. AND, that is my b'day and I can think of no better way of celebrating. Lookiing forward to hearing from anyone who can make it.

Sheryl, Mormon Mother

• 63. Rhie  |  September 13, 2010 at 9:08 am

My cat says Rowwww Rowww merrp, lol.

But LOLCATS say nom all the time!

• 64. Fred  |  September 13, 2010 at 9:32 am

1 hour 30 minutes left, let's hope for the best

• 65. draNgNon  |  September 13, 2010 at 9:38 am

"Potted plants"

• 66. Bolt  |  September 13, 2010 at 9:41 am

The religious reich xtianists are disgusting. They cry about activist judges and "left wing" politicians, but it is they who behave like a bunch of reckless orangutans. By demanding Maldanado to intervene, while Schwarzenegger is away, is both sly and roguish.

Why does anyone give these religious assholes any credit?

• 67. Sheryl Carver  |  September 13, 2010 at 9:44 am

Happy, happy birthday, Sheryl!

From the other Sheryl. :-)

• 68. Kate  |  September 13, 2010 at 9:47 am

I sure wish I could go, Mormon Mom, but I'll have to just be there in spirit. It's a 6 hour drive for me each way….

• 69. Bolt  |  September 13, 2010 at 9:47 am

Is 18:00 the deadline?

• 70. Fred  |  September 13, 2010 at 9:48 am

Happy Birthday!!!;-)

• 71. Kate  |  September 13, 2010 at 9:49 am

Now, now, Bolt. Please be kinder to orangutans.

• 72. Bolt  |  September 13, 2010 at 9:49 am

Happy birthday, Sheryl, Mormon Mother!

• 73. Fred  |  September 13, 2010 at 9:50 am

Yes, 6PM PT, 1 hour 10 minutes left

• 74. Andrew Martinez  |  September 13, 2010 at 9:53 am

At this point, I don't think he will appeal, but I've added my voice over on the FB page :).

— Andrew Martinez

• 75. Fred  |  September 13, 2010 at 9:56 am

Don't be so sure Andrew, an hour is an eternity, let's hope he does not file, by the way what is FB page.

• 76. Kate  |  September 13, 2010 at 10:01 am

I, too, have added my 2 cents…….

• 77. Ray in MA  |  September 13, 2010 at 10:01 am

All of you who phoned/emailed Moldonutto, will have to phone/email a Thank You note… like your mothers taught you…be polite and courteous.

• 78. Andrew Martinez  |  September 13, 2010 at 10:03 am

True, it can be especially in political circles. Oh and FB is facebook. I got lazy. Too busy responding to prop h8ers =P.

• 79. Kate  |  September 13, 2010 at 10:07 am

Of course I will be thrilled to do so!!!! Less than an hour and counting……

• 80. Andrew Martinez  |  September 13, 2010 at 10:16 am

Absolutely. I won't even rescind the "like" I needed to give on his facebook page in order to join the…er… conversation…

• 81. Richard A. Walter (s  |  September 13, 2010 at 10:16 am

Yes. We are now at T minus 45 minutes and counting.

• 82. Dpeck  |  September 13, 2010 at 10:21 am

My brother in-law's name is Ron and his cat walks around the house all day saying "Ron… Ron…. Ron?? RON!!" It's kinda creepy.

• 83. Kate  |  September 13, 2010 at 10:30 am

The religious right has started posted negative things about Maldo on his FB page now — has he said he wouldn't appeal????

• 84. Dpeck  |  September 13, 2010 at 10:32 am

Actually, California has already dealt with an "over-achieving" lieutanant governor. Mike Curb, a republican, who was Lt. Gov under Jerry Brown when Brown was Governor several years ago. Curb had an annoying habit of appointing his friends to positions in the state govormnent whenever Brown was out of town for a few days, and Brown would then have to un-appoint them when he got back. It was quite a scandal and it pretty much ended Curb's political career.

• 85. Dpeck  |  September 13, 2010 at 10:33 am

I'm there! (got your email).

… has anyone heard from Alan E. lately? I was thinking that he and his husband might want to go.

• 86. Kate  |  September 13, 2010 at 10:35 am

I'm enjoying your posts on his FB page, Andrew. (I'm the one posting under the name Chaco with that lovely photo of one of my dogs……)

• 87. Anonygrl  |  September 13, 2010 at 10:37 am

ROTFL draNgNon

• 88. Anonygrl  |  September 13, 2010 at 10:39 am

He seems to have said nothing, which they may be taking as him saying he will not?

• 89. Kate  |  September 13, 2010 at 10:41 am

That would suit me just fine! Can you believe it? Some of them are already claiming they'll vote for Gavin. Yeah, sure.

• 90. Andrew Martinez  |  September 13, 2010 at 11:00 am

Ooooh. Nice to meet you, Kate :). You seem to be holding up well, even with that guy Paulo barking off the same comment over and over again.

Once he decided to declare everyone on the page had no intellect, I decided it's not worth responding to him anymore, though.

• 91. Elizabeth Oakes  |  September 13, 2010 at 11:00 am

It's six p.m.–did it happen???? or are we done??

• 92. Anonygrl  |  September 13, 2010 at 11:00 am

6pm. No news is good news!

• 93. Ray in MA  |  September 13, 2010 at 11:00 am

6PM PST I told you so! TG I was right!

• 94. Dpeck  |  September 13, 2010 at 11:01 am

OK, it's 6:00 PM.

Any word?

• 95. Andrew Martinez  |  September 13, 2010 at 11:01 am

Oh and thank you for the clarification re: the Texas case. I honestly didn't know that about the case. A good dose of misinformation was handed out, courtesy of Michael.

• 96. Ray in MA  |  September 13, 2010 at 11:03 am

And TG Kate told him not to… she saved the day!!!

• 97. Kate  |  September 13, 2010 at 11:04 am

Are we sure about the 6 pm? I want so much to cheer…..

• 98. Christopher in San F  |  September 13, 2010 at 11:04 am

Any word yet? This wait is driving me nuts!
    Love as always,
    Christopher in San Francisco

• 99. Kate  |  September 13, 2010 at 11:05 am

I guess we're OK — Anonygrl just posted her thanks. And certainly SHE should know. So let's all go do the same!!!!

• 100. Straight Grandmother  |  September 13, 2010 at 11:07 am

LOL you called it. Okay, PROPS Ray!

• 101. Elizabeth Oakes  |  September 13, 2010 at 11:08 am

My concern is that a filing could have happened at the eleventh hour but we haven't heard about it yet. I'm going to assume it didn't happen, but I'm going to wait another hour or so before I break out the celebration cookies.

• 102. Anonygrl  |  September 13, 2010 at 11:08 am

I THINK it is ok Kate, since we hit 6 and there is no news. And there WOULD be news if any were to be had.

• 103. Ray in MA  |  September 13, 2010 at 11:08 am

Hey, SG, maybe his Straight Grandmother told him not to also! LOL!

• 104. Straight Grandmother  |  September 13, 2010 at 11:09 am

I love it when the CINO's squirm.
    Now I am headed for be, we knwo how this turned out.

• 105. Kate  |  September 13, 2010 at 11:11 am

Uh-oh; as usual, you are correct, Anonygrl. But I've already posted. When "they" start blasting him with their venom, we'll know for sure we've won.

• 106. Anonygrl  |  September 13, 2010 at 11:13 am

True. Well, either way, we are being polite, which is ok.

• 107. Anonygrl  |  September 13, 2010 at 11:14 am

No news, which is what we are hoping for.

• 108. Straight Grandmother  |  September 13, 2010 at 11:16 am

Honestly I was conflicted. As you know I hope this case go to the Supreme Court. I have analyzed the court case it's strengths and weaknesses, considered how it benefits my family and how it benefits society and that is my opinion, I hope it goes all the way.

With that said, even though a fake, really morally bankrupt act, by a merely acting governor wuold not have set well wtih me. It would kind of like be winning by cheating.

I think it is better that the court case will go forward as is, even though as it sits now it looks like it will be a California only win, and let chips will fall where they fall. To have it proceeed under a bogus fake appeal would have left me feeling really dirty.

• 109. Anonygrl  |  September 13, 2010 at 11:20 am

HUGS SG.

I know this is tough for you, but hang in there! We'll keep fighting, I promise!

• 110. Straight Grandmother  |  September 13, 2010 at 11:20 am

LLB, everything okay. I notice you have not been posting as much as you used to. Hope you are jsut busy or something.

• 111. Kate  |  September 13, 2010 at 11:23 am

The xtianists on his FB pages have dropped him like the proverbial (tee hee hee) hot potato, so I'm guessing/hoping it's over.

• 112. Dpeck  |  September 13, 2010 at 11:27 am

…. 6:30 and nuthin' but tumbleweeds!

• 113. Kate  |  September 13, 2010 at 11:27 am

Oh, I'd forgotten about that!

• 114. Anonygrl  |  September 13, 2010 at 11:32 am

It would seem to be.

Now we just have to wait for December.

I need a cookie.

• 115. Elizabeth Oakes  |  September 13, 2010 at 11:34 am

*passes the cookie tray* Help yourself, and pass it on.

• 116. Kate  |  September 13, 2010 at 11:39 am

Better bake extras — now we get to wait for their standing "case" on the 17th. Should be lots of fun!

• 117. Kate  |  September 13, 2010 at 11:41 am

Hi Andrew — Yeah, those types simply cannot get beyond their canned phrases and aren't worth the keyboard space they take up. I admired your attempts at getting him to show some signs of brain life, but I'm afraid it was an impossible task.

• 118. Elizabeth Oakes  |  September 13, 2010 at 11:43 am

I'll make "Gobbledecookies" to commemorate what is sure to be another long-winded Proponent tirade about why they're RIGHT DAMMIT but not giving any feasible legal reasoning as to why. I believe a nut-based amalgam would be most appropriate.

• 119. Richard A. Walter (s  |  September 13, 2010 at 11:50 am

@Elizabeth Oakes: Mixed nuts at that!

• 120. Anonygrl  |  September 13, 2010 at 11:56 am

Thanks! And here is some MILK to wash them down with!

• 121. Anonygrl  |  September 13, 2010 at 11:57 am

You know, I bet Harvey is smiling somewhere at the thought of his name being used the way we are using it here.

At least, I hope he would be.

• 122. Kate  |  September 13, 2010 at 12:04 pm

Everyone, please take a few minutes to thank the Acting Gov for not interfering in the legal process just to satisfy those idiots. Well, don't say idiots. His FB link is above. Remember how we all filled PP&M's wall with thanks? Wash, rinse, repeat.

• 123. Carpool Cookie  |  September 13, 2010 at 1:28 pm

I'd think he couldn't have just filed the papers himself…just like Schwarzenegger wouldn't have drawn up his own papers, either.

Maldonado would have needed the legal department to write up the appeal….and someone in that office probably would have tipped off friends or the press (and certainly Arnold) if that were in the works.

On the other hand, if Maldonado got it filed at 5:55 p.m., I don't know that it would appear on the state website immediately….would it? So I myself won't rest easy until tomorrow.

(But, I am a big worry wart.) (And need I say….NOT A LAWYER.)

• 124. Sheryl, Mormon Mothe  |  September 13, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Thanks for all of the early b'day wishes. Guess I didn't make it clear that Oct. 15 is my B'day.

Wish everyone could come but know that is not possible. I will post pictures on the Facebook page.

Sheryl

• 125. Sheryl, Mormon Mothe  |  September 13, 2010 at 4:20 pm

Alan said he'd come if it was on a Friday night (he works just up the hill). Haven't heard back from him. However, wasn't he planning a vacation to visit family?

Shery

• 126. Chris in Lathrop  |  September 13, 2010 at 8:01 pm

And Orwellian. 😉

• 127. Mark M. (Seattle)  |  September 14, 2010 at 1:20 am

I'd sure like to think so :-)

• 128. BK  |  September 14, 2010 at 2:02 am

Yay! I don't think he did it!!

• 129. Tim in Sonoma  |  September 14, 2010 at 6:06 am

@ Kate there is NO way they will vote for Gavin as it is he who started this whole marriage issue in what? 2004?
    They are just trying to scare him into doing what they want him to do.
    Just like they try to scare the public puppets into voting for hateful propositions!
    He knows they will NEVER vote for Gavin!

• 130. Tim in Sonoma  |  September 14, 2010 at 6:11 am

You all are Amazing!! And you make me smile!

• 131. Mark  |  September 14, 2010 at 7:56 am

Do we have official news that he did NOT file?

• 132. Steven  |  September 14, 2010 at 11:38 am

OMG, they are PATHETIC!!!!!! and BIGOTS and need to get A CLUE on how a governor can't " FOCUS on something else like file an appeal during a diseaster. i bet gov schwarzeneggger told him dont appeal while he is gone if he did he would withdrawl the appeal……

• 133. Sagesse  |  September 14, 2010 at 12:03 pm

Unbelievable arrogance. From the article:

"the Lieutenant Governor complained that the pressure from the public was so intense on Monday that they could not use their phone system. He could have freed those phones up immediately by giving the go ahead."

• 134. Anonygrl  |  September 14, 2010 at 12:08 pm

The pressure came from the very people who wanted him to call them (to say he had filed). Gotta give Maldonado props for getting his dig in on that one, don't you think?

• 135. John  |  September 14, 2010 at 1:42 pm

Karen England's cell phone 916-212-5607.

• 136. Steven  |  September 14, 2010 at 1:51 pm

who will call? and give us details if you do!!!!!!!!!!

• 137. Steven  |  September 15, 2010 at 10:24 am

This afternoon, I got an email from a big LGBT group in CA and telling me that I need to donate to EQCA to stop meg whitman. Their excuse is that whitman will defend Prop 8 if she becomes the next governor.. THATS A FUCKIN LIE! She can't defend it!! #1 the deadline to appeal WAS YESTERDAY. AND the oral arguments AT 9TH Circuit of Appeal…s IS IN DECEMBER!! The new governor will take office on Jan 2/3 2011

I'm not endorsing her, but I M JUST saying!!!!!!

Somebody told me that whitman could appeal Walker's decision after 9th Circuit of Appeals HAVE heard the case.. I KNOW THATS NOT TRUE…..

17 minutes ago · Comment ·LikeUnlike

• 138. Ann S.  |  September 15, 2010 at 11:28 am

IF a new trial is ordered for any reason, we sure don't want lyin' Meg defending it.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but make no mistake, Meg is our enemy.

• 139. Steven  |  September 15, 2010 at 12:25 pm

They won't order a new trial……. on what ground? Judge Walker gave Pro Prop 8 every chaNCE to prove their case, but they didn't. I believe this was a criminal case yes, they would order a new trial.. this case is about civil rights…….

• 140. Ann S.  |  September 16, 2010 at 2:02 am

I also highly doubt that they would order a new trial. But I would never say it could never happen.

• 141. buy gynexin&hellip  |  May 11, 2011 at 9:17 am

Mens Health and Fitness…

[…]Make the time to scan or visit the subject or sites we have linked to below[…]…