Day 9 on the NOM California tour: The wheels come off the Vota Bus

NOM Exposed NOM Tour Tracker-California Right-wing

Sputtering to the finish line -Adam

By Arisha Michelle Hatch

Stop #35: Riverside

Another day, another empty parking lot here in Riverside.

Empty parking lot at the Riverside stop with the Vota Tus Valores bus

Empty parking lot at the Riverside stop

Vota Tus Valores organizers spoke to three people (2 of which were Latino) at Fairmount Park before quickly jumping back on the bus to avoid the light drizzle.

Vota Tus Valores engaging just two people in Riverside

They didn’t even bother to call the local Victory Outreach ministry to bring its members to the location.

They also eliminated two stops from their original tour schedule today – El Centro and Palm Spring.

And no, they still haven’t apologized for the assault of Courage Campaign organizer Anthony Ash.

Stop #36: San Bernardino and Stop #37: East Los Angeles

The Vota Bus stopped in San Bernardino for exactly eight minutes before seeing two members of SEIU park and get out of their vehicle.

Minutes before the stop in San Bernardino and no one there

All organizers quickly hopped back on the bus and sped away, leaving a reporter behind before he could interview Alfonso.

Zero voters were engaged.

The Vota Bus was East LA bound, but with nowhere to go, as they seemed without a Plan B when a local community center disinvited them after learning that they had a political agenda (thanks to P8TT’s Kathleen for the investigative work). Apparently, being forthright isn’t a part of their community engagement plan. ┬áNot surprising.

After illegally parking on the side of a freeway off-ramp for 15 minutes, the Vota Bus finally settled at a Mexican market for 5 minutes before pulling off into the sunset.

Zero voters were engaged and Alfonso didn’t even get off the bus.

This tour, according to Alfonso, is part of a $1 million voter engagement effort. I wonder how many paid canvassers you can hire for 10 days to actually knock on doors in Latino communities delivering a values message. Oh, wait that would mean Alfonso wouldn’t get to sleep on all those nice pillow-top beds at resorts like the Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort and Spa:

Silly me.

• 1. Richard A. Walter (s  |  October 6, 2010 at 12:15 am

Yes, it does seem to be a pattern with those who are depriving us of our rights to think that they are the only ones with the right to luxurious comfort, when we are not even to be allowed to live!

• 2. Kathleen  |  October 6, 2010 at 12:15 am

subscribing

• 3. Phil L  |  October 6, 2010 at 12:15 am

So, will the IRS be hearing of their little money burning "tour"?

• 4. Sagesse  |  October 6, 2010 at 12:18 am

No Arisha, you're not the silly one :).

• 5. Lesbians Love Boies  |  October 6, 2010 at 12:20 am

subscribing

• 6. Rev. Will Fisher  |  October 6, 2010 at 12:24 am

Let them marry cake…

• 7. Alex  |  October 6, 2010 at 12:28 am

Is Jelly Belly against gay marriage too? Vota Bus stopped there. Boycott….Boycott.

• 8. Kate  |  October 6, 2010 at 12:31 am

What? They cancelled Palm Springs?????

So, where is Brian?

• 9. Bill  |  October 6, 2010 at 12:32 am

Love that!

• 10. Kathleen  |  October 6, 2010 at 12:33 am

Someone told me this will be broadcast on CSPAN2. I also heard that Cooper pulled out when he discovered it will be broadcast. But still might be interesting to see. From the Aspen Institute, "Marriage by Same-Sex Couples: Legal Interpretations from Proposition 8 to the U.S. Constitution" 12-1:30 eastern time

• 11. Linda  |  October 6, 2010 at 12:39 am

Your coverage of this sham tour has been phenomemal.

And Kathleen, I'm running out of hats to tip to you!

Looking forward to seeing msm coverage of this. Have they engaged 100 people on this tour? $10,000 a vote….pretty pricey solicitation….

But money is no object when bigotry is being threatened!

• 12. Alex  |  October 6, 2010 at 12:40 am

What is he afraid of? People seeing what an idiot he is?

• 13. Anonygrl  |  October 6, 2010 at 12:40 am

Oh, no! Jelly Belly was GREAT. They did not know the bus was coming till WE told them (lots of folks here emailed them). They said that campaigning would not be allowed, and when the bus showed up, a member of JB's publicity department met them, hurried them inside for a tour where they were not allowed to talk to anyone, put them back on their bus and shooed them on their way. All they got were some free samples and a pic of the bus in another empty parking lot. Well played, Jelly Belly.

• 14. Linda  |  October 6, 2010 at 12:40 am

Alex–
    Jelly Belly is apolitical. Vota et al are simply exploiting them to make it look like they have their endorsement.

• 15. Anonygrl  |  October 6, 2010 at 12:42 am

And imagine how useful those 100 votes will be. Especially since once again, the protesters outnumbered the targetted audience.

• 16. Linda  |  October 6, 2010 at 12:45 am

@Alex–

• 17. Linda  |  October 6, 2010 at 12:46 am

And also especially since that 100 count is crediting those from Victory Outreach multiple times.

They do know they can't vote more than once, right?

• 18. Alex  |  October 6, 2010 at 12:48 am

They are no longer broadcasting at all.

• 19. Kate  |  October 6, 2010 at 12:49 am

I'd love to see Carly's office have to publicly disavow her from this charade.

• 20. Linda  |  October 6, 2010 at 12:52 am

Is there a reason given?

• 21. Lesbians Love Boies  |  October 6, 2010 at 12:52 am

In discussing the tragedy of the recent suicides by gay teens and bullying in schools Michelangelo Signorile played a clip from the leader of the Mormon Church, Boyd Packer, attacking homosexuality and made the point that this hate from the pulpit is what fuels both the suicides and the violence against LGBT people. James from Louisiana, a self-described Christian, called in to say that it was wrong to point the finger at the churches even though he does people homosexuals are going to hell. Signorile was not in the mood for this crap, not today.

• 22. Kate  |  October 6, 2010 at 12:55 am

Are those 3 white vans in the photo above the ones from their so-called advance team?

• 23. Gregory in Salt Lake  |  October 6, 2010 at 12:56 am

Great work Kathleen, Arisha and EVERYBODY for defying Vota Bus Joyride!

Alfonso not getting off the bus is not surprising. Maybe, like Karyme Lozano, he's finally decided this is NOT what he signed up for.

He worked with President Bush on a national level for Immigration and citizenship. He's used to large group of interested people (particularly young people) asking interesting questions. Perhaps he thought he would have a chance again for the "rush" of speaking to appreciative crowds again….oops! Wrong bus!

• 24. Lesbians Love Boies  |  October 6, 2010 at 12:57 am

I was hoping they had little-white-suits-that-tie-in-the-back in them for the NOM bus members.

• 25. Rene micheo  |  October 6, 2010 at 12:58 am

I would love to see a movie made of their fail vota nuestras mentiras. (vote our lies) a la Priscilla reina mariquita.
    Mi prometido de 24 años y yo estamos esperando nuestra boda en Ohio. Cuando logremos nuestra libertad vamos a tener una fiesta Guatemala – Judía. Thank you all for keeping us informed with such eloquence.
    La familia de Otto Micheo y Daryl Goldstein

• 26. Kate  |  October 6, 2010 at 12:59 am

Oh, LLB! What a terrific image. If I look closely enough, maybe I can see State plates on those vans……..

• 27. Lightning Baltimore  |  October 6, 2010 at 1:02 am

Jelly Belly did not know of their intent, and issued a press release stating non-involvement. There's info in one of the many threads here.

• 28. Kate  |  October 6, 2010 at 1:03 am

Muchas gracias por su apoyo, Rene y Daryl. Su fiesta va a ser maravilloso. Espero que se publicarán más información aquí.

• 29. Anonygrl  |  October 6, 2010 at 1:06 am

I did call Carly's campaign. The guy I talked to said "They are not associated with us." I think that may be as much of a disavowal as we are likely to get, since the tour did not generate that much press at all. They are not likely to alienate NOM at this point, since NOM is still pumping funding into getting her elected, and hasn't done anything that the general public is aware of as being all that egregious.

• 30. Kate  |  October 6, 2010 at 1:06 am

Lo siento; y también a otto.

• 31. Kate  |  October 6, 2010 at 1:07 am

There goes that reply button glitch again……

• 32. Lightning Baltimore  |  October 6, 2010 at 1:08 am

Is it just me, or does Alfonso look remarkably like Brian in a latex "fat suit?"

• 33. Gregory in Salt Lake  |  October 6, 2010 at 1:10 am

enjoyed video! thanks LLB!

Some Mormon's understand why this pulpit talk hurts kids:

• 34. Kate  |  October 6, 2010 at 1:11 am

Hmmm….. seems to me that there is still time for press to be generated, especially with that incident of assault on Anthony…….

• 35. Anonygrl  |  October 6, 2010 at 1:11 am

It is a bad thing. I KNOW it is a bad thing. Wrong, wrong, wrong… but whenever I see a picture of him, and hear his name, in the back of my mind a little voice says "Here is a walking advertisement for NAMBLA… a crabby little old man with the name Boy Packer."

I said it was a bad thing.

• 36. Kate  |  October 6, 2010 at 1:13 am

"Bad" does not necessarily mean inaccurate…….

• 37. Anonygrl  |  October 6, 2010 at 1:13 am

He does bear some resemblance, yes.

• 38. Alan E  |  October 6, 2010 at 1:19 am

I know! So many gay guys there, too.

• 39. Anonygrl  |  October 6, 2010 at 1:25 am

I understand that last night, the votabus tweeted that they had had a successful last stop of the evening (which should have been the rec center, but they had been barred from there).

Now we find out that the last stop was, in fact, 5 minutes at a Mexican market? I gotta say, I called it when I suggested that they were speaking about stopping at a Taco Bell (yes, not actually Mexican, but close enough and the bus people probably don't know the difference!).

Can I get paid ridiculous amounts of money for encouraging the Asian vote? I went to a Chinese supermarket last week, then ate at the Thai restaurant a few blocks from my house the other day. OH! And we ordered sushi for lunch yesterday at work. MAN am I politically active! I had better register myself as a lobbyist!

• 40. Kate  |  October 6, 2010 at 1:27 am

Those activities ought to be worth at least a cool million, Anonygrl.

• 41. Anonygrl  |  October 6, 2010 at 1:30 am

And with a million, we can invite 100 of our closest P8TT friends to relocate to your neck of the woods, and vote there. We will then have officially accomplished more than El Autobus del Fracaso ever did. AND we will not have assaulted anyone or broken any cameras in the process.

• 42. Kate  |  October 6, 2010 at 1:30 am

How 'bout an exposé using the format of a daily report — one column quoting exactly what They have written/tweeted/said about how successful their tour has been and the adjoing column quoting events and showing figures and photos recorded by Our Team for those same "activities."

• 43. Anonygrl  |  October 6, 2010 at 1:30 am

That was meant to be 1000, not 100.

• 44. Kate  |  October 6, 2010 at 1:31 am

The true events at Jelly Belly would be especially nice to expose to their donors….

• 45. Anonygrl  |  October 6, 2010 at 1:31 am

Yes. And post it to NOMexposed. NOM is directing their folks to go there and read it, so lets give them more to read!

• 46. Kate  |  October 6, 2010 at 1:32 am

Perfect, Anonygrl! I'll be waiting down at the gate to the ranch. Come on up.

• 47. Kate  |  October 6, 2010 at 1:33 am

yes yes yes — I would LOVE to see that!!!! And once we get it disseminated a bit online, it should take off on its own.

• 48. MJFargo  |  October 6, 2010 at 1:46 am

And the hunger strike? How's that coming?

• 49. Anonygrl  |  October 6, 2010 at 1:49 am

NO idea. The MUCH better news is that Food for Thought: FeedEquality.org is now just a few days away from launching our website and our Food Drive campaign!!!!!!

YAY!!!

More news will show up here VERY soon! Keep your eyes peeled!!!

(can you tell I am excited? Can you tell that I have not had enough sleep lately?)

• 50. Ann S.  |  October 6, 2010 at 2:04 am

subscribing

• 51. Dpeck  |  October 6, 2010 at 2:13 am

Bummer. Palm Springs would have been awesome.

• 52. Gregory in Salt Lake  |  October 6, 2010 at 2:13 am

s

• 53. Gregory in Salt Lake  |  October 6, 2010 at 2:14 am

s, take 2

• 54. fiona64  |  October 6, 2010 at 2:18 am

I was looking forward to discovering that they'd stayed in this particularly swanky hotel/casino: http://www.sparesortcasino.com/

Love,
    Fiona

• 55. Phil L  |  October 6, 2010 at 2:19 am

Yet another reason why I believe they are the same person!

• 56. Alan E  |  October 6, 2010 at 2:20 am

My friend lives just around the corner from there. I went in once to use the restroom on a drunken walk home. All I needed.

• 57. str8withouthate  |  October 6, 2010 at 2:21 am

can someone email the news with this interesting story (copy paste some highlights, especially the assault) in attempt to have their last stop (olvera st?) covered or ………..? I am just saying maybe they will come and ask some questions or at least look into it this sham for a future story…..

e-mail: realpeople@downtownnews.com
    Los Angeles Downtown News
    1264 W. 1st Street
    Los Angeles, CA, 90026
    Phone: 213-481-1448
    Fax: 213-250-4617

has anyone contacted the LA times?

• 58. Alan E  |  October 6, 2010 at 2:26 am

This is a great article addressing the needs for bullying protection needed in schools. There is another link in the article to a must-read brief regarding specific needs.

• 59. Kate  |  October 6, 2010 at 2:26 am

It appears as though they even quit updating their list of stops. Before, as they proceeded, the old ones would grey out. Now even the TBA for east LA last night is even still there.

• 60. elliom  |  October 6, 2010 at 2:27 am

OT, but interesting….from cnn.com

2 accused of hate crime at historic gay bar

• 61. Kate  |  October 6, 2010 at 2:28 am

I think we should be saying "Zero POTENTIAL voters contacted." After all, we don't know whether or not (except for the minors early on in the tour) are really voters.

• 62. str8withouthate  |  October 6, 2010 at 2:29 am

please??????

• 63. fiona64  |  October 6, 2010 at 2:31 am

I am pretty sure that's the hoity-toity new casino downtown, right? I won $80 in there on the Phantom of the Opera slot machine and quit while I was ahead.

Love,
    Fiona

• 64. Phil L  |  October 6, 2010 at 2:31 am

That… was… AWESOME!!

• 65. str8withouthate  |  October 6, 2010 at 2:31 am

yes please and send it to e-mail: realpeople@downtownnews.com so that they may cover the last stop or follow and publish your expose????

• 66. fiona64  |  October 6, 2010 at 2:32 am

It's obvious that they are trying to evade our intrepid tracking team.

Cowards.

Love,
    Fiona

• 67. Lightning Baltimore  |  October 6, 2010 at 2:32 am

If the kids at the end of Wild in the Streets get their way, ten-year-olds will be able to vote!

• 68. bJason  |  October 6, 2010 at 2:34 am

I, too, am excited, also, some more!!! :)

• 69. Lightning Baltimore  |  October 6, 2010 at 2:35 am

They're going to go back in time and have the stop when they can't be tracked!

• 70. Lightning Baltimore  |  October 6, 2010 at 2:45 am

Nice . . . the very first comment is an attack on LGBT citizens.

*angry face*

• 71. Kate  |  October 6, 2010 at 2:55 am

C'mon guys, only 2 thanks on Mellencamp's wall?

• 72. Kate  |  October 6, 2010 at 2:55 am

• 73. MJFargo  |  October 6, 2010 at 3:04 am

Thanks, Anonygrl. I need something positive to focus on. I routinely bring up the "hunger strike" because of they can't get coverage for this bus tour, they might be wasting away without anyone knowing (as if).

• 74. Ronnie  |  October 6, 2010 at 3:12 am

Ok…I'm not Latino…but I grew up with Latino People in close proximity of my life. The Woman (along w/her husband-RIP, her 2sons -1 in which also I say RIP, & her 2daughters) who helped raise me in the absence of my of all four of my biological Grandparents while my single Mother struggled through work to provide for her son, are Puerto Rican…

She is like my Grandmother (EVIDENCE that family is not just biology…its love). Growing up, many of my best friends (some I'm still in touch with & some I lost touch with) are latino. Some Cuban, some Dominican, some Puerto Rican, some Columbian, some Peruvian, my first boyfriend was Mexican, I even had friends from Spain.

All can say is. as an honorary Latino (my abuela always calls me that)…I am offended by this "tour"…the photo's on their bus are offensive (again NOM shows its ignorance of what family is…i.e. interracial & personally formed families)….The blatant disregard (& quite often disrespect & insult) for culture….as was said before, the propaganda media they are handing out is not in any form of spanish, they barely speak in any form of spanish,…. & even though they are targeting the Latin-American community with this farce of a "tour", they are still sort've preaching to the white washed choir……while spreading so called "family values" & the notion of "charity" in which they really have NONE & do NONE!!!….

Shame on you NOM…shame….you insult, disrespect, degrade, offend, & demean people of all walks of life…& only care about your feelings & that of the people who fall lock-in-step with your Fascist hateful agenda, beliefs, definitions, & delusional fantasy word molds of what is considered "ideal"….SHAME!!!!….& you call yourselves true Americans….SHAME!!!!….. : I …..Ronnie

• 75. Gregory in Salt Lake  |  October 6, 2010 at 3:13 am

touche Anonygrl and Kate!

• 76. Lesbians Love Boies  |  October 6, 2010 at 3:22 am

Happy, Beautiful Picture:

2 more California brides legally marrying in Massachusetts

• 77. Lesbians Love Boies  |  October 6, 2010 at 3:26 am

Is this the same California the NOM Bus is in???

Pro-Life Group Launches Ad to Reach California Hispanics for Carly Fiorina

The Susan B. Anthony List announced the launch of a $200,000 Spanish television ad campaign highlighting the contrast between pro-abortion Sen. Barbara Boxer and her pro-life challenger, Carly Fiorina. The ads says the two differ sharply on sharing Latino family values, in part because of abortion.

The campaign is co-sponsored with the National Organization for Marriage and it coincides with a $100,000 SBA List voter education effort including a Google ad campaign focusing on California Latino voters and a “Vota Tus Valores” bus tour sponsored by SBA List and other groups.

The buts tour is making 43 stops in Latino neighborhoods throughout the state.

SBA List President Marjorie Dannenfelser told LifeNews.com today that "pro-life California Latinos are a force to be reckoned with."

“The majority of Latinos are pro-life and comprise an increasing percentage of the California voting bloc," she said.

She continued: "Latino voters need to know who will stand up for their values in the U.S. Senate and Carly Fiorina is that leader. Barbara Boxer is not. Carly embraces and advances the rights of women and unborn children while Barbara Boxer has consistently undermined them.”

The 30-second television spot entitled “Our Values” will air in Spanish on Telemundo, Telefutura and Univision for one week in the San Diego, Los Angeles and Fresno markets beginning October 7.

More: http://www.lifenews.com/state5521.html

• 78. Lesbians Love Boies  |  October 6, 2010 at 3:30 am

Then what is he?

Stonewall Bashers Defended by Family

The father of Christopher Orlando, one of two men accused of an antigay attack at the historic Stonewall Inn in New York City over the weekend, insisted his son is not a bigot, while it was revealed that codefendant Matthew Francis has a lesbian sister.

Orlando, 17, and Francis, 21, have been charged with assault as a hate crime and attempted robbery for the attack against Benjamin Carver, 34, early Sunday morning at the Stonewall Inn in the West Village, site of the 1969 riots credited with launching the modern gay civil rights movement.

more: http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2010/10/0

• 79. Lesbians Love Boies  |  October 6, 2010 at 3:31 am

Churches That are Anti-Gay are not Holy

Spiritual bullying is deadly. Children are listening when churchmarquee.jpgreligious leaders call gays, lesbians, bisexuals, and transgender people sinners. Children hear them when they shout "abomination" from the pulpit. "Thou shalt not!" they scream into our children's ears.

There is no turning back when a child has heard they are evil once too many times. No prayer, no line from a book written by men, will undo a child's last prayer for help.

No church on earth has the excuse, "but the Bible told me so," because our greatest gift is our reason. We are in command of our actions. We choose to hate those who look different, or are born different than us. Hate is not a Holy virtue and those who hate know it. That is the biggest crime of all. Those who hate ignore their own intuition — that voice inside that says, "no." And why? Because the Bible told them so?

More: http://www.bilerico.com/2010/10/churches_that_are

• 80. Ronnie  |  October 6, 2010 at 3:33 am

Bull f@#king shite….. >I …Ronnie

• 81. fiona64  |  October 6, 2010 at 3:34 am

Yes, it's the same bus tour. I think that's why Karyme was on it; she's part of the anti-choice contingent of "tus valores."

Love,
    Fiona

• 82. Gregory in Salt Lake  |  October 6, 2010 at 3:51 am

*Sigh* I agree…very beautiful photo… looking forward to my turn! Looking forward to all this negotiating to be done so all that desire it can be married!

• 83. Jonathan H  |  October 6, 2010 at 4:10 am

So, they canceled a few stops. Did they move today's stops to yesterday and just cut it a day short? (Or go party all day today)

It's awfully hard to keep track of their stops when they keep changing the schedule like that.

• 84. Kate  |  October 6, 2010 at 4:12 am

Yeah, even if by some miracle folks on their side had planned to attend, they wouldn't have been able to keep up with all the changes and would have changed their minds about going at all.

• 85. Lesbians Love Boies  |  October 6, 2010 at 4:12 am

It’s awfully hard to keep track of their stops when they keep changing the schedule like that.

@Jonathan – I think that's the point. This tour is obviously some sham-scam. What they are hiding will eventually be revealed.

• 86. Jonathan H  |  October 6, 2010 at 4:22 am

Oh, absolutely that's the point. But it's really bugging me 'cause I've been trying to keep a solid list of where they go, when they're late, which stops they blow off, etc.

If they weren't so obviously incompetent I'd suggest a conspiracy theory that they were just trying to foil my attempt. :P

• 87. Jonathan H  |  October 6, 2010 at 4:24 am

Don't be silly, Kate, nobody on their side could possibly have planned to attend, they wouldn't know about it 'cause there's no publicity!

• 88. AndrewPDX  |  October 6, 2010 at 5:06 am

'scribin', late to the party.

Liberty, Equality, Fraternity
    Andrew

• 89. Papa Foma  |  October 6, 2010 at 5:35 am

100 or 1000… does it matter? Either way you will have outnumbered the Vota Bust!

• 90. Chris in Lathrop  |  October 6, 2010 at 8:20 am

@ Linda: I'm so embarrassed that those guys are from my area. It's tough living in the conservative part of a liberal state sometimes. ;)

• 91. Chris in Lathrop  |  October 6, 2010 at 8:32 am

Overall, I love it! Not all religions condemn people like the Abrahamic faiths do; Wicca doesn't, for one. <|:)

• 92. Chris in Lathrop  |  October 6, 2010 at 8:44 am

Where, Kate? Any particular place to mention it?

• 93. Alan E.  |  October 6, 2010 at 9:21 am

I thought that was fucking ridiculous. According the the statements, how else could it not have been out of homophobia?

• 94. Ronnie  |  October 6, 2010 at 9:27 am

Denial is not just another river in Never Never Land perhaps?….. <3…Ronnie

• 95. Rhie  |  October 6, 2010 at 9:40 am

Yup me too.

• 96. Rhie  |  October 6, 2010 at 9:47 am

So am I!!! This is gonna be great! :D

• 97. JonT  |  October 6, 2010 at 11:38 am

Looking for packets in all the wrong places…