VIDEOS: NOM’s Iowa “Judge Bus” tour — Aggressive, willful ignorance as substitute for fact

NOM Exposed NOM Tour Tracker-Iowa Right-wing

We’ll be posting some of our best videos on Tuesday, but Jeremy just put up this Good As You cross-post, with a brief breakdown of the Des Moines speeches and NOM’s all-too-predictable Judge Bus talking points, via Steve King, Brian Brown and yes, the one and only Rep. Louis Gohmert. Previous Iowa posts can be read under our “NOM Tour Tracker-Iowa” category. — Eden

By Jeremy Hooper

– “The people” vs the “arrogant, rogue judges”

– Ensuring that the law passes the constitutional smell test (i.e. the very role of a judge) is somehow “making law” for the first time in U.S. civil rights history.

– “The people” have somehow earned the right to vote on a minority population’s freedoms.

Rep. Louis Gohmert (R-TX) acting like he’s an Iowa expert.

– Generalized contempt (oftentimes accompanied with actual groans) for the independent judiciary, California, Connecticut, and, oh yeah – freedom.

It was a busy day of pushing deliberately unsophisticated talking points into the Hawkeye State, in hopes of firing three learned, accomplished people who did nothing more than their jobs:

<br

<br

<br

• 1. Sagesse  |  October 25, 2010 at 12:09 pm

Subscribing to watch later. Will go read warm fuzzy amicus briefs now.

• 2. Kate  |  October 25, 2010 at 12:09 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Kathleen, for all the uploading you've been doing for us. The quality of these briefs is stunning, and the amici who filed them rank right up there as the finest of the best organizations. Southern Poverty Law! NAACP Legal Defense! Ha ha, no Velveeta KIng for us — we have the REAL civil rights groups on our side. Eat your hearts out, NOMbies. The best you guys could get filed were unintelligible ramblings from fringed dim wits. Our amici are educated, insightful and legally-accurate. And they can write. Yours? Well….. let's just say that they could sure keep a bunch of editors in business.

• 3. Richard A. Walter (s  |  October 25, 2010 at 12:10 pm

Folks, I hate to say this, but Canada is looking better every day!

• 4. Rhie  |  October 25, 2010 at 12:14 pm

Good idea. I just watched the documentary on the Tiller murder and I need something good.

• 5. Tomato  |  October 25, 2010 at 12:15 pm

I can't look at the videos, but I must admit that as I scrolled over the video pics, I wondered who the heck that gay guy was, standing in front of the bus?

Ooops. It was Brian.

• 6. Kate  |  October 25, 2010 at 12:20 pm

Canada has always looked really, really good to me. I've traveled in every province and every territory, and I love it all. Canadian politics are the icing on the cake.

• 7. John B.  |  October 25, 2010 at 12:50 pm

1. UNANIMOUS DECISION.
    2. TWO OF THE JUDGES APPOINTED BY REPUBLICANS.

Yes, I know this won't even slow down the NOM "radical activist judges" meme but it may give more rational folks who might otherwise listen to them something to think about.

• 8. Kathleen  |  October 25, 2010 at 12:59 pm

AMICUS BRIEF in Perry

Amicus brief by Cal. Faith for Equality, Cal. Council of Churches, Gen’l Synod of the United Church of Christ, Metropolitan Community Churches, Episcopal Bishops of Cal. & Los Angeles, Prog. Jewish Alliance, Pac. Ass’n Reform Rabbis, Unitarian Universalist Ass’n & UULMCA (w/ attached motion for leave to file brief) in support of Plaintiffs-Appellees. http://www.scribd.com/doc/40123961

• 9. Ronnie  |  October 25, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Every time I see that "man's" face (I put quotes around that word because a 1940's styled Barbie Doll is more of man the he will ever be) I think someone somewhere is thinking &/or saying… "(enter your higher power here) blessed me with the good graces of never having to be that repugnant "man""…… : I …Ronnie

• 10. Kate  |  October 25, 2010 at 1:02 pm

Couldn't he have gotten a new suit for the occasion? Surely NOM would have paid for that, too.

• 11. Ann S.  |  October 25, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Yes, thank you, Kathleen!

::bows low in homage::

• 12. Bill  |  October 25, 2010 at 1:36 pm

Anyone want to comment on the brief filed by Jon B. Eisenberg? I'm not exactly lost on his point, but I wonder what the implications would be if the Ninth Circuit panel agreed with him.

Bill in San Diego, mostly a lurker

• 13. Kathleen  |  October 25, 2010 at 2:02 pm

AMICUS BRIEF in Perry

Amicus brief by Asian American Justice Center, et al. (w/ attached motion for leave to file brief) in support of Plaintiffs-Appellees.

NOTE: Brief begins pdf pg 5 http://www.scribd.com/doc/40126854

• 14. JusB  |  October 25, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Thank you Kathleen! You are super-fantastic!

Hug & Hearts,
    Jussy

• 15. Kathleen  |  October 25, 2010 at 2:34 pm

Hugs & Hearts back at you, Jussy. xoxo

• 16. Regan DuCasse  |  October 25, 2010 at 2:48 pm

They are all starting to look alike to me. Or do they REALLY all look alike?

• 17. DaveP  |  October 25, 2010 at 3:06 pm

Ack! Between all these great filings (Thanks Kathleen!) and what I'm sure will be plenty of fun details from the FAILtour #3, there's suddenly too much great stuff to read here. I'll never even make a dent in it before I leave for the airport in the morning!

Oh well, I'll do my best to catch up when I get back home in three weeks. I'll miss you guys!

• 18. Kathleen  |  October 25, 2010 at 3:09 pm

You could print them out and read on the plane. ;)

Have fun, Dave! We look forward to your return.

• 19. Mandi  |  October 25, 2010 at 3:25 pm

has anyone else noticed the pretty yellowish orange rectangles (reflectors maybe) on the pretty purple bus… kinda resembles our equal sign… i think their designer is laughing at them

• 20. Bob  |  October 25, 2010 at 3:32 pm

As a Canadian, I can say you are right, it is great in comparison, , I would so invite any of you to join us, But, as Canadians, we can not be complacent with our comfort. Our U.S. nieghbour has always been a bully, and often influences what happens here. As I said before our religious right, hangs on every move the repubs make, maybe we could do a switch, they could move south and you guys could join us. But that still wouldn't avoid the bullying from the most powefull country, and it would just get worse. Keep up the fight we got to win.

The other day I went to my first PFLAG meeting ever, in the small community in which I live, the focus was to talk about the rash of bullyings in the states, and just to check in and see how we are feeling as a community and what we could do.. That meeting was like being on another planet, so confirming to know parents reporting the success of the gay straight alliance, and how gay kids actually went through our high school whithout trauma. It was reasurring, to hear,……

But don't forget our hate crimes, a bi racial couple in Nova Scotia had a crossed burned on their lawn, and a gay man in Vancouver (in the gay village) in a gay bar was beaten, his assailant said the guy came on to him.. At least they are being pursued as hate crimes, and the religious right doen't step in to say they deserve it, In fact most people in the communiites extend support to the victims. In the case of the bi-racial couple, the support for them was so overwhelming, the community convinced them to not move away, the incident was not representative and that says something.
    But I'm so glad we don't have to be impacted by a hate bus driving through our communities, threatening us…. I am exhausted by all the legal briefs, and paperwork one has to wade through to make sense of how the system works, so glad we are onto the ones presently supporitng us, finally some back up.

Hang in there you guys, and remember it does get better, you are making the world a more habitable place….

• 21. JonT  |  October 25, 2010 at 3:44 pm

• 22. JayeinMD  |  October 25, 2010 at 7:33 pm

I was thinking the exact same thing — Brian and Maggie make six figures each spreading the hate, so you'd think he'd at least buy a new jacket for every bus tour.

• 23. Chris in Lathrop  |  October 25, 2010 at 11:05 pm

Yep. NOM's M.O. = Hitler's Big Lie Theory. And I heard a lot of big lies in all those speeches. Like all the right-wing emails I get from my republican aunt.

Three things to remember: educate, educate, educate.

• 24. Chris in Lathrop  |  October 25, 2010 at 11:08 pm

Running to Canada may work out in the short term, but think of what would happen if the USA, the only remaining world superpower, gained a supermajority of right-wing idiots because all the people on the left, well, left.

• 25. NetAmigo  |  October 26, 2010 at 1:17 am

These religious bigots bamboozle religiously inclined people unsophisticated in law, medicine and science but they really are having no luck when they go up against informed people, particularly those versed in law as the judges whom they attack so vociferously.

• 26. Bennett  |  October 26, 2010 at 1:55 am

Isn't it a judges job to interpret the constituion? This is how it was described in civics class (but its been a minute and you know how memory goes).

• 27. Alan E.  |  October 26, 2010 at 2:25 am

Will have to watch these later. Way behind on my reading! (Thanks to Kathleen and all our supporters in this case =) )

• 28. Alan E.  |  October 26, 2010 at 2:34 am

I always thought the "he came onto me" defense was stupid for a few reasons. 1) It is admission of a hate crime 2) The person can't recognize the flattery of being thought of as attractive 3) Women who have men come onto them don't freak out and beat the guy 4) men who have women come onto them don't beat the woman if he doesn't find her attractive

• 29. Alan E.  |  October 26, 2010 at 2:34 am

What's this? Can I now respond to a 4th level of comments?

• 30. Alan E.  |  October 26, 2010 at 2:35 am

And 5!

• 31. Alan E.  |  October 26, 2010 at 2:36 am

Those are turn signals for cars on the side.

• 32. mandi  |  October 26, 2010 at 3:29 am

wasn't sure… it still makes an equal sign; and the colors still coordinate very nicely.

• 33. Alan E.  |  October 26, 2010 at 3:46 am

Equal signs that light up, no doubt =)

• 34. Bob  |  October 26, 2010 at 4:09 am

@Chris, that's my point, well said, the world would be in for greater horrors, if the left , left, and there was no one to counter and balance out the only remaining world superpower, and when you really all, or rather WE ALL, understand the value of the Rainbow People in America, and what they are doing for the world, we begin to see the power and value of what is actually happening.

I wonder sometimes if the people in countries who are living free and equal, are even paying attention to this struggle, it is an awakening to realize that our conitnued freedom is ultimately being bought and paid for by those of you actively engaged in this present fight. THANK YOU for your valiant stand against Theocracy, Bigotry, and hatred towards LGBT.

• 35. Kate  |  October 26, 2010 at 4:14 am

Exactly. I travel a lot, and at first I thought I would pass myself off as Canadian whenever people in other countries asked where I was from. But then I realized that the world already sees Canadians in a positive light, and that I would be doing more good by admitting my nationality (especially difficult during the Bush years….) and showing people in other cultures that there ARE "good" Americans. There are already a whole bunch of great Canadians; the world's people need to see more decent Americans in their midst.

• 36. Kathleen  |  October 26, 2010 at 4:26 am

Reminds me of Stephen Colbert's segment warning against the dangers of a "gay drain." LOL For those who haven't seen it, can be viewed here: http://www.sdgln.com/causes/2010/08/18/video-our-

• 37. Bob  |  October 26, 2010 at 5:07 am

gay drain, that segment is funny,

The Catholic Church is already suffering from the gay-drain, consider the recent Spanish Catholic countries that have allowed SSM. The Church is pissed that the people thumbed their noses at the Pope, the people spoke, and I wonder if that isn't where a lot of the secret money is coming from to fund NOM and the religious right movement, it's channeled from the Church in those countries, which is trying desperately to buy America. They need to own a army to continue their fight.

And that is why DADT is such a crucial fight, I was glad to see the connection made about bullying in the military, not only regarding this policy, but in some of the Amicus briefs filed, I actually read about bullying on the ground between the troops, and at least one cas of a person being placed on suicide watch because of it. I think in that invironment there would be a greater ability to cover up suicides due to bullying,

America has enough of it's own wing nuts wanting to enforce DADT, but don't forget the religious right around the world, that wants the same thing.

• 38. Richard A. Walter (s  |  October 26, 2010 at 5:33 am

You are correct, Bob, the money is being funneled through the Catholic Church, in the form of the Knights of Columbus. You see, the Knights, while they started the order here in the United States, and the world headquarters is in New Haven, CT, are a world wide organization, and believe me, every council around the world heard about the vote for Prop 8 and was organized, and send not only money but also members of not only the Knights of Columbus, but also the Columbian Squires (the group for boys 10-18) and the ladies auxiliary of the Knights. All three branches of the Knights of Columbus were mobilized world wide to send money and members to California to join with the more radical element within the LDS Church, and the other radicals who are hiding behind religion such as William Tam. They will stop at nothing to prove their solidarity with the Nazi Pope. And yes, he is a Nazi. And when he sings a Mass, you can tell from the sound that his proper last name of Ratzinger is very fitting.

• 39. Sheryl, Mormon Mothe  |  October 26, 2010 at 5:33 am

Perhaps, Brian really, really likes brown and owns a whole closet full of the same brown suit.

Sheryl, Mormon Mother

• 40. Richard A. Walter (s  |  October 26, 2010 at 5:39 am

Actually, I think Brian is probably colorblind. Especially when I remember some of the shirts he wore with those brown suits.

• 41. Bob Miller  |  October 26, 2010 at 7:48 am

Maybe Brian was once "color matched" with that old "color me beautiful" thing that assigned a wardrobe color pallet based on a particular season and he must be a Fall, all browns and the like. Unfortunately he must have lost the swatch book that showed the complimentary colors for the look.

• 42. Sheryl, Mormon Mothe  |  October 26, 2010 at 2:49 pm

Guess when he out on the road, his wife isn't able to help with wardrobe issue.

Like your reasoning Bob. Got to keep all of those color swatches so you get the right shade for your color.

Sheryl, Mormon Mother

• 43. Homophobia much? Video, e&hellip  |  October 26, 2010 at 4:04 pm

[…] … and continues to feature Texas Republican Representative Louis Gohmert as a spokesperson. […]

• 44. Richard A. Walter (s  |  October 26, 2010 at 11:44 pm

Yes, and I had a color analysis done in 1984. I am an autumn, and that shade of brown was NOT in my color palette. Milk chocolate was, but that has a tiny hint of red under the brown. And yes, I do know what colors work on me and which ones don't now, and I also know which colors work together. Do you think maybe I should join this bus tour and help Brian learn how to dress? NOT!

• 45. Ben  |  December 22, 2010 at 1:59 pm

Great writing! I want to see a follow up on this topic…

Warmest Regards