WWMD: What would Maggie do?… Arkansas school board member calls for LGBT kids to commit suicide

NOM Exposed Right-wing

(Cross-posted on Waking Up Now.)

By Rob Tisinai

I want to know whether NOM’s Maggie Gallagher thinks Clint McCance should be fired. McCance is the Midland, Arkansas school board member who wrote on his Facebook page:

Seriously they want me to wear purple because five queers killed themselves. The only way im wearin it for them is if they all commit suicide. I cant believe the people of this world have gotten this stupid. We are honoring the fact that they sinned and killed thereselves because of their sin. REALLY PEOPLE.

No because being a fag doesn’t give you the right o ruin the rest of our lives. It you get easily offended by being caleld a fag then don’t tell anyone you are a fag. Keep that shit to yourself. I don’t care how people decide to live their lives. They don’t bother me if they keep it thereselves. It pisses me off though that we make special purple fag day for them. I like that fags can’t procreate. I also enjoy the fact that they often give each other AIDS and die. If you aren’t against it, you might as well be for it.

I would disown my kids if they were gay. They will not be welcome at my home or in my vicinity. I will absolutely run them off. Of course my kids will know better. My kids will have solid christian beliefs. See it infect everyone.

What does this have to do with Maggie? Just the other day she warned Australian conservatives that America is persecuting anti-gays:

We are already seeing the engine of state power being used to exclude traditional religious believers, especially from posts of cultural power…

It seems obvious that a man who celebrates — even hopes for — gay teen suicide has no business on a school board. On the other hand…

• Would Maggie point out that Midland is public, taxpayer supported school district?
  • Would Maggie argue that firing McCance means the government is persecuting him for his religious beliefs?
  • Would Maggie say that kicking him off the school board is an example of “the engine of state power being used to exclude traditional religious believers, especially from posts of cultural power”?

So Maggie, tell us, do you think Clint McCance should be fired? If so, wouldn’t that violate all of NOM’s rhetoric?

And if not, Maggie, if not — then is there any religious behavior you wouldn’t excuse?

UPDATE BY EDEN: HRC just deployed this press release:

HRC to Arkansas School Board Hater: Resign or Face Investigation and Removal
HRC Sends Letter to Education Officials

WASHINGTON – The Human Rights Campaign, the nation’s largest lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) civil rights organization, today once again called upon Clint McCance – a Midland School Board Member from Arkansas – to resign following an anti-gay tirade he unleashed on Facebook in response to national Spirit Day last week. Today, HRC also sent a letter to the U.S. Department of Education, the Arkansas Department of Education and the Midland School District calling for an immediate investigation into McCance’s conduct and to suspend him from office if he does not heed our call to resign. A Facebook page calling for McCance’s resignation has swelled over 17,000 “likes.”

The messages were first brought to HRC’s attention by R. Anthony Turner, a 1998 graduate of Midland High School. A PDF of the Facebook page with the message is at:

Text of the letter from HRC President Joe Solmonese:

October 27, 2010

Dr. Tom W. Kimbrell
Arkansas Department of Education
Four Capitol Mall
Little Rock, AR 72201

Mr. Bryson Wood
President, Midland School Board
P.O. Box 630
741 Main Street
Pleasant Plains, AR 72568

Dear Dr. Kimbrell and Mr. Wood:

I am writing about the recent hateful anti-gay tirade by Midland School District Board Member Clint McCance on Facebook. Given the severity of his remarks and the position which he holds, we are demanding that your agencies immediately launch investigations into his conduct. Furthermore, we ask that Mr. McCance be suspended from his position immediately if he does not heed our call to resign.

No students should be subject to the kind of hate that came from Mr. McCance. All kids deserve better and that’s why it’s imperative for your agencies to act swiftly and with resolve.

The record of McCance’s conduct is clear. In response to national Spirit Day last Wednesday, an individual that guides the education of children took to Facebook and wrote: “Seriously they want me to wear purple because five queers committed suicide. The only way im wearin [sic] it for them is if they all commit suicide.” Unfortunately, his tirade did not end there. Screen captures of his Facebook postings can be found at: www.hrcbackstory.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/ClintMcCanceFacebookimage.pdf

You are no doubt aware of the letter sent to all school districts on Monday by the U.S. Department of Education informing them of their requirement under Title IX to protect all students from harassment, including harassment based on sexual orientation and gender identity. There is no doubt that Mr. McCance’s conduct is clearly at odds with this requirement. Mr. McCance’s comments also violate the Midland’s School District’s nondiscrimination policy, which reads: “The Midland School District is committed to having an academic and work environment in which all students and employees are treated with respect and dignity. Student achievement and amicable working relationships are best attained in an atmosphere of equal educational and employment opportunity that is free of discrimination.”

Students in the Midland School District, across Arkansas and America were put in harm’s way by Mr. McCance’s insidious remarks. These are exactly the kind of statements that will lead some kids to bully and others to continue a destructive pattern of self-loathing behavior. When an authority figure of Mr. McCance’s standing repudiates gay people, it sends a very powerful message that violence and/or discrimination against lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people is acceptable. It also emotionally devastates those who are LGBT or may be struggling with their sexual orientation or gender identity. His words were not only inaccurate, they were also dangerous and you have a responsibility to act NOW.

We await your immediate response.

Sincerely,

Joe Solmonese
President

Cc: Russlynn Ali
Assistant Secretary, Office of Civil Rights
U.S. Department of Education Office of Civil Rights
400 Maryland Ave SW
Washington DC 20202

Mr. Dean Stanley
Superintendant, Midland School District
P.O. Box 630
741 Main Street
Pleasant Plains, AR 72568

UPDATE BY ANDY: JoeMyGod has the latest updates

Update 1: Statement from the Arkansas Department of Education.

The Arkansas Department of Education strongly condemns remarks or attitudes of this kind and is dismayed to see that a school board official would post something of this insensitive nature on a public forum like Facebook. Because Mr. McCance is an elected official, the department has no means of dealing with him directly. However, the department does have staff who investigate matters of bullying in schools and we will monitor and quickly respond to any bullying of students that may occur because of this, as we have with other civil rights issues in the past.

Update 2: The Advocate reports that McCance may keep his job.

“In Arkansas law, the only way to recall a school board member is over a felony [committed by him or her] or absentee issues,” said Julie Johnson Thompson, the director of communications for the Arkansas Department of Education in Little Rock. Thompson says McCance, as an elected official, answers to voters, not Midland school district’s superintendent. “[The Arkansas Department of Education] doesn’t have any control over his job,” Thompson pointed out.

Update 3: MSNBC’s openly gay host Thomas Roberts covers the story.

• 1. Ann S.  |  October 27, 2010 at 5:46 am

Fire Clint McCance now!

• 2. Alan E.  |  October 27, 2010 at 5:47 am

Joel Burns had a great response. I'll get it in a minute.

• 3. Michelle Evans  |  October 27, 2010 at 5:47 am

Mr. McCance is the direct product of the rhetoric of those like NOM, who have preached the horrors of being LGBT. Hope that Brain, Maggie, Louis, and all the rest might get the hint that this is their Frankenstein.

• 4. Alan E.  |  October 27, 2010 at 5:48 am

Hate and violence born of ignorance must not be allowed to harm the youth of Midland, Arkansas or anywhere in America. Two weeks ago I shared at our Fort Worth City Council meeting that the words and attitudes expressed by those like Midland School Trustee Clint McCance result in misery and even death for America's youth. At that council meeting and in the days since, I have asked people in communities across the nation to take responsibility and stand up to these hateful bullies. I encourage adults to tell our children they are whole, perfect, and complete. And I try to remind those bullied youth that things will get better and that they will make a lifetime of happy memories. I can assure you that changing the course of just one potentially lost life is worth our standing up to the bullies like Clint McCance. Trustee McCance is a failure as a responsible adult, an embarrassment to the good citizens of Midland, and he has betrayed his community's trust.

• 5. Sagesse  |  October 27, 2010 at 5:53 am

More interested in whether the powers that be will remove McCance from office and otherwise discipline him for his behaviour. Disgusting.

Could care less what Maggie wants to do.

• 6. Ronnie  |  October 27, 2010 at 6:00 am

I'll repost what I said about this inexcusable specimen of a "human" & his hateful & hurtful diatribe's connection to NOM & Maggie "Shoe Flinger" Gallagher on the "20 hard Questions for Brian Brown" thread……

Speaking of bullying & schools….Is the the kind of board of education member tax payers want making descions for their children’s well being?……Brian Brown enables & festers bigots like this…this is exactly the kind of detritus that follows NOM etc etc ….

be prepared, the “F” to the “T” word is used a lot…..

Statements along the same line as what he has said, minus the “F” word, has been said not only by every regular posting on NOM’s Protect Marriage Facebook page but the Admin as well about the innocent kids who took their lives…..I would not be surprised if he is one of NOM’s sheeple….

Wake up Arkansas citizens…here is your hard earned tax money being used to promote murder, violence & advocate teen & child suicide….. >( ….Ronnie

• 7. Gregory in Salt Lake  |  October 27, 2010 at 6:02 am

Thanks Alan! I love learning that Joel Burns continues to speak out about this! His city council video set a great model for others to speak out and be heard…. Despite what side you are on, who would you tend to listen to? A Joel or Clint type person?

• 8. RebeccaRGB  |  October 27, 2010 at 6:05 am

I really need a laugh right now. Where's our tour bus updates?

• 9. Kathleen  |  October 27, 2010 at 6:08 am

• 10. Wine Country Lurker  |  October 27, 2010 at 6:15 am

I suppose that's "fire" as in "release from his job" as opposed to open flames licking at his feet — which is what he deserves.

Checkin' the box!

• 11. Lightning Baltimore  |  October 27, 2010 at 6:16 am

He's just speaking the Truth!

He just wants LGBT kids to know they are disgusting pieces of filthy trash who don't deserve to live.

Is that so wrong?

• 12. Mark M. (Seattle)  |  October 27, 2010 at 6:20 am

Now there's a good Christian response…I believe that is exactly what Christ taught us now isn't it?
    "Love thy neighbor…IF they are straight"
    NOT!!!!!
    Now please crawl back under your rock you freak of nature

• 13. Lightning Baltimore  |  October 27, 2010 at 6:26 am

The last line was supposed to read:

<Harvey Fierstein voice>Is that so wrong?</Harvey Fierstein voice>

(assuming the HTML works for me this time)

• 14. jbf  |  October 27, 2010 at 6:32 am

It appears that Clint McCance has taken a chapter from NOM and pulled his facebook page.

• 15. Judith K  |  October 27, 2010 at 6:43 am

Hold up a mirror to yourself, you vile animal.

• 16. billie  |  October 27, 2010 at 6:44 am

If he can't be removed b/c he is a bigot who suggests kids commit suicide, then can he be removed from a school board for thinking "thereselves" is a word? He used it twice in his hateful rant. I would think even anti-gay parents would have to agree such an idiot has no place on a school board.

• 17. Anonygrl  |  October 27, 2010 at 6:53 am

Errr. Yes.

• 18. RoughAcres  |  October 27, 2010 at 6:54 am

I hope the federal government charges him with a hate crime. This man is unfit for PUBLIC office… he belongs in the ranks of those who wear sheets and hoods and burn crosses.

• 19. Anonygrl  |  October 27, 2010 at 6:55 am

(Pssst… LB is on our side Mark. The sarcasm was just hard to catch on the first read…)

• 20. StraightForEquality  |  October 27, 2010 at 6:56 am

• 21. GG  |  October 27, 2010 at 6:58 am

How was someone this illiterate even put on the school board? Wait, this is Arkansas. Never mind.

• 22. Phillip R  |  October 27, 2010 at 7:01 am

What I find curious is that AK has no real control over their board members. If it takes a felony or absenteeism to remove someone, they leave themselves open for all sorts of other issues.

• 23. Ed  |  October 27, 2010 at 7:05 am

Not to nit-pick…..
    AK is Alaska, AR is Arkansas.
    But yes, I totally agree :)

• 24. Ann S.  |  October 27, 2010 at 7:06 am

psst — AK is Alaska, Arkansas is AR

Sorry.

• 25. Lightning Baltimore  |  October 27, 2010 at 7:15 am

Don't jump to conclusions so fast, please.

When I "hold up a mirror to [myself]," I see a middle-aged gay man, who volunteers with LGBT youth but tends to be a bit sarcastic at times..

So, yes, I'm an animal, as are you, but I object to being called vile.

• 26. Shiny  |  October 27, 2010 at 7:19 am

So — when is FOX News going to offer him a 2 million dollar contract?

I truly hope this hateful school board member's comments are on the agenda at the next meeting. The rest of the board needs to make a statement contrary to his.

• 27. Kevin  |  October 27, 2010 at 7:24 am

How is this man on a school board to begin with? He has horrible grammar and seems to be challenged to spell even simple words.

• 28. eDee  |  October 27, 2010 at 7:26 am

There is a whole hate page for him: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fire-Clint-McCance/

• 29. Juliet  |  October 27, 2010 at 7:29 am

WIN.

Really, this is disgusting, both in content and conventions. Even informal writing has standards. It is downright scary that someone who thinks publishing comments that vile is acceptable in any forum has been elected to an office that directly influences the safety and welfare of children.

• 30. Kate  |  October 27, 2010 at 7:30 am

Hear, hear!!!!!

• 31. Kai Markas  |  October 27, 2010 at 7:31 am

This, aside from his disgusting amount of hatred, was my big concern. Shouldn't someone involved with the education system have a better sense of English grammar? Granted, it was on Facebook, but it's not exactly an online lingo kind of word.

Anyway, I hope those kids in Arkansas know that there is a support system out there, and that people are fighting to have this man removed from office. I say God Speed, and good riddance!

• 32. RainbowWarrior  |  October 27, 2010 at 7:36 am

Anyone know anything about the demonstration tomorrow? I'm at school just outside of Little Rock and I'm sure our campus GSA would be interested to take a group.

• 33. Chris From CO  |  October 27, 2010 at 7:36 am

I believe that if the Facebook page was about n@#$%rs, instead of f@#$%ts then they would remove him immediatly except faggot is still a word that can be used comfortably in polite society. Hmm it will be interesting to see what happens.

• 34. Richard A. Walter (s  |  October 27, 2010 at 7:37 am

Will catch up later.

• 35. RainbowWarrior  |  October 27, 2010 at 7:39 am

Anyone know anything about the demonstration the gentleman in the video mentioned? I'm at school right outside of Little Rock and I'm sure the campus GSA would be interested in taking a little road trip….

(Sorry if this is a repost, having some trouble getting comments to work and couldn't see the first one I posted.)

• 36. JonT  |  October 27, 2010 at 7:41 am

It appears that he can't be fired. How does a scumbag like that get elected to a freakin school board? How does he get removed?

• 37. Carpool Cookie  |  October 27, 2010 at 7:43 am

I imagine he'll probably get RE-elected.

Horrible as it is to hear, I think it's great when these types of freaks expose themselves. It's a reminder of what's really out there…even on school boards (which you'd hope would be made up of educated people.)

• 38. Mark M. (Seattle)  |  October 27, 2010 at 7:46 am

So you as a Gay man who works with LGBT kids think they are pieces of trash and deserve to die?
    I do NOT understand your posts here……….
    If you were origonally trying to be funny, I am afraid it did NOT come across that way and in my humble opinion is not at all funny.

• 39. Anonymous  |  October 27, 2010 at 7:48 am

If his obvious disgust for GBLT children isn't enough to get him fired (such blatant discrimination shouldn't even have to be thought over, the idea of a man like that having the ability to make decisions regarding a school is terrifying), then his apparent lack of education should be. His spelling is atrocious.

• 40. Ronnie  |  October 27, 2010 at 7:52 am

Our LGBT elders say "It Gets Better"…

Think it about it…because of them & their generations struggle for Liberation, Marriage wouldn't even be an option in the states that have become the true image of America let alone possible for a 14-18yo boy or girl be publicly out……

Because of what that generation did & what we are doing now….FULL Equality & Freedom for LGBT Americans to be how nature made us has gone from a never going to happen to a possibility to inevitability…."It Gets Better"….<3…Ronnie:

• 41. Lightning Baltimore  |  October 27, 2010 at 7:52 am

Please, look up the meaning of sarcasm.

Feel free to peruse the posts on this site and read my comments in other threads; I absolutely do not believe LGBT kids are trash and/or deserve to die.

• 42. Maggie Ahrens  |  October 27, 2010 at 7:58 am

given his apparent lack of education, the idea of this knucklehead being a governing voice in education is ironic.

His being a bigot does not surprise me at all – they generally tend to be unintelligent as well as being ignorant. What does shock, stun, and sadden me is that this idiot was given power.

I'm wondering – how long did he hold that post? Were there no signs (functionally illiterate??) that he was unsuited for the post?

This Maggie would fire him, look into who hired him, and take a HARD look at the other people in their employ, and decide if they really want to live like a stereotype.

• 43. Goran Paganovich  |  October 27, 2010 at 8:01 am

The world is a vile, nasty place. People do not love each other. Once it is decided that gay people cannot be discriminated against, that will be the victory. You cannot tell people in rural Arkansaw that being gay is okay. It will never happen. But to allow someone like this bigot in a position that will influence how schools handle the lives of any child, straight or gay is an abomination, the same as Leviticus preaches. Well maybe not in Greek, but some bigot in the 16th century translated it that way. These people base their beliefs on a book that was not written in English. That is their first mistake. I do not need a Bible or a church to know that I am supposed to obey the Law, protect children and be kind and respect my fellow human beings. That is plain and simple truth. Christians need to start spreading the good parts of their religion, instead of contstantly spewing out the vile and hateful parts. Then I would consider myself a Christian. Until then. I will not and need further proof that the Christian G=d condones their actions and their hatred and bigotry.

• 44. Mark M. (Seattle)  |  October 27, 2010 at 8:05 am

Guess I couldn't see the sarcasm for the bad taste……

• 45. Alan E.  |  October 27, 2010 at 8:14 am

I was wondering how long it would take for a quick response. I would suggest anyone trying to use sarcasm please put /sarcasm at the end (or something like that). It won't raise people's blood pressure so quickly.

• 46. nightshayde  |  October 27, 2010 at 8:16 am

If this POS gets zapped by lightning or sucked up and blown to Oz by a tornado, do I have permission to laugh my freakin' arse off?

• 47. Kate  |  October 27, 2010 at 8:17 am

I'll defend LB, Mark — admittedly, the sarcasm wasn't real clear (as is usually true of sarcasm, when no "sarcasm alert" is given), but LB is one of us. He was speaking in the voice of the bad guys, but he's a Good Guy.

(signed and sworn)
    Kate

• 48. Michael  |  October 27, 2010 at 8:28 am

Unfortunately, there is only one way to hit them where it hurts.

1. This needs to be televised. It will suck for the victim's family, but it will help others.

2. Since the school district will do nothing to punish the employee, I suggest that all parents of gay youth remove their kids and find a better school AND write a letter to the school district stating that it is due to the employee's remarks and the school being an unsafe environment. The school district is required to FUND the child at the school–or at least that is how it works in Pennsylvania.

Hit 'em where it hurts–money. If the school sees a reduction of say 5,000$ or more, they might think twice about keeping that employee around.

• 49. Mark M. (Seattle)  |  October 27, 2010 at 8:29 am

It has been my observation that sarcasm only really works in the spoken word…rarely when written.

• 50. Mark M. (Seattle)  |  October 27, 2010 at 8:31 am

You certainly have my permission :-)

• 51. Kate  |  October 27, 2010 at 8:37 am

Agreed. We need to be sure to insert a sarcasm alert when attempting the techinique.

• 52. Richard A. Walter (s  |  October 27, 2010 at 8:46 am

Can BZ and I join you in that laughter.

• 53. nightshayde  |  October 27, 2010 at 9:02 am

I'll take all the laughers I can get. =)

• 54. Ben  |  October 27, 2010 at 9:10 am

Furthermore, how does someone who can't even write properly in English get elected to a schoolboard? As for how he can be removed, it would need to be a referendum and/or recalled. Unfortunately, he got elected because it's rural Arkansas. Rural areas are often very conservative, even to extremes.

• 55. Ben  |  October 27, 2010 at 9:10 am

Er. School board. Apparently, the "people in glass houses" rule applies here.

• 56. AndrewPDX  |  October 27, 2010 at 9:36 am

I was going to suggest the same thing. If the guy in charge of regulating the education of our youth cannot figure out "thereselves" is not a word… Can't we get a "thereselves bus" campaign going to get rid of the idiot?

Liberty, Equality, Fraternity
    Andrew

• 57. Steve  |  October 27, 2010 at 9:44 am

The same way creationism gets taught in science classes

• 58. AndrewPDX  |  October 27, 2010 at 9:46 am

What a horrible thing to say!

Why would you want to pollute Munchkinland with this bucket of &@$&? He'd be worse than the Wicked Witch!

"I'll get you, my pretty, and all thereselves too!"

Liberty, Equality, Fraternity
    Andrew

• 59. Richard W. Fitch  |  October 27, 2010 at 10:06 am

Keep in mind, our dear troglodyte Clint, is an elected official and NOT a school employee. He was elected by doubtlessly like-minded members of his community. If and when federal officials pull Title IX funding from this school district, perhaps then this excuse of a human will finally suffer the repercussions.

• 60. Rhie  |  October 27, 2010 at 10:08 am

Anyone have a screen grab? Seriously. This needs to be posted everywhere so that moderate people realize there are real bullies who are doing a lot of harm.

• 61. Shannon McAdams  |  October 27, 2010 at 10:12 am

This sickens me. I think we all should wear purple every Monday in memory of our youth who have been pushed to the point of taking thier own lives. Honestly, does this ignorant bastard believe what he is saying. If it were up to me to decide the punishment of this jackass, I would nail his nuts to a stump and kick him over backwards. Anyone with this much hate for someone because of their individualism is destined to HELL. So keep it up McCane and rejoice in HELL. Parents except your children and let them know that being gay doesn't make them bad. It makes them unique and special. Stop the hate and bullying of our youth.

• 62. Leo  |  October 27, 2010 at 10:13 am

The victim's family? Did you mean the perpetrator's?

• 63. Rhie  |  October 27, 2010 at 10:23 am

I agree completely.

• 64. Megha  |  October 27, 2010 at 10:36 am

GG – I understand and share your anger, but believe me when I tell you this is about being bigoted and uneducated. Not about being from Arkansas. As an Arkansan, I can tell you I am truly disgusted by McCance and anyone who feels the way he does. I also happen to be highly educated. Try not to paint us all with the same brush, if you don't mind.

• 65. Carpool Cookie  |  October 27, 2010 at 10:39 am

There's a story that the school board has hired his carpet cleaning business to service the school in the past.

I guess the least they could do would be to not hire him for that again….and explain why they strike business deals with their own board members, while they're at it.

• 66. Richard W. Fitch  |  October 27, 2010 at 11:02 am

Rhie – there is a whole Facebook group page addressing the issue, including screen shots of McCance's remarks and contact info for the school district (who btw have stripped their web site of such info). The grroup is currently just over 30K and growing by the minute.

• 67. dtwirling  |  October 27, 2010 at 11:03 am

LOL @ AndrewPDX

That was my thought! But said with much more wit!

McCance's words (and grammar) are utterly nauseating.

• 68. Richard A. Walter (s  |  October 27, 2010 at 11:09 am

I may be wrong, but I think you posted a comment somewhere about how courageous Will Phillips has been. Glad to see you this evening!

• 69. Richard A. Walter (s  |  October 27, 2010 at 11:12 am

Also, I think someone either at WHOF or FF4# (Ronnie, HELP!) has a screen grab of it, and reported him to FB. So it may not be that McCance pulled the page. FB may have shut it down when they were sent the screen grab.

• 70. nightshayde  |  October 27, 2010 at 11:20 am

Wrapping sarcastic statements with tildes works on another site on which I regularly post.

~ I just love the good "Christians" who call for teens to commit suicide. ~

See? It sticks out that way — yet people not "in the know" don't know what you're saying (which can come in handy).

• 71. nightshayde  |  October 27, 2010 at 11:23 am

Hmm. You may have a point.

What if he falls out of his house just prior to landing, and winds up being squished by his own house as it lands atop him?

Would he make suitable fertilizer for Munchkinland flowers?

• 72. Bruce  |  October 27, 2010 at 11:23 am

This… ugh. This makes me want to punch something. Just the sheer bigotry and ignorance and hate is frankly ridiculous.

Maybe I'll go read Tedd Olson's response brief a few times.

• 73. Straight Ally #3008  |  October 27, 2010 at 11:38 am

This is the face of religious fundamentalism, and when they want strictly religious-based views that fly in the face of reality to be taught in public schools, they need to be reminded that the Constitution is designed to keep this in check. It's amazing that they've been able to succeed for so long, and they're terrified that (from our perspective) "it gets better." So no, the universe is not 6,000 years old and LBGT people are not choosing an immoral lifestyle. To borrow from Bill Maher, believing such things isn't a moral or a value, it's just stupid.

• 74. robtish  |  October 27, 2010 at 11:59 am

Never occurred to me he was serious (putting "wrong" in italics made it clear).

• 75. Jonathan H  |  October 27, 2010 at 12:17 pm

Never mind whether the kids are gay or not, he's made it clear that there's at least one condition under which he no longer feels obligated to consider the well-being and safety of the children in the district. As far as I'm concerned that works out to a potentially unsafe environment for all of them.

Seriously, if a child at a school is obviously violently deranged and needs to be restrained until the cops pick him up, I fully expect every single employee of the district to consider and promote that kid's health and safety right up until the police take custody. That should be rule one of the job.

If I had kids in that district I'd have lost my voice by now from screaming on the phone.

• 76. Lightning Baltimore  |  October 27, 2010 at 12:25 pm

As I said before, the last line was supposed to read:

<Harvey Fierstein voice>Is that so wrong?</Harvey Fierstein voice>

I thought that would make the sarcasm very obvious.

Since <Harvey Fierstein voice> is not a legitimate HTML tag, however, the site removed it rather than display it as typed. I used the &lt; and &gt; codes to get it to display this time (hopefully).

However, even without that, I thought the sarcasm was evident. When I attempted to explain, and included that I work with LGBT youth, I was still attacked for being a horrible person.

Please, read before making knee jerk responses.

• 77. Dan  |  October 27, 2010 at 12:29 pm

I bet he is also a member of the tea party. I am so ashamed to be an American.

• 78. Rhie  |  October 27, 2010 at 12:53 pm

Awesome thanks. Will go hunting.

• 79. Rhie  |  October 27, 2010 at 12:57 pm

*highfives for Charm City!*

I wasn't sure at first if you were serious but then I saw your name. I also read the thread of comments.

I think it is completely awesome that you are working with LGBT youth. Baltimore is an awesome city but has some really serious problems. They youth there desperately need good role models and mentors. My good wishes and (if you don't mind) prayers for you.

• 80. omnia vanitas  |  October 27, 2010 at 1:50 pm

Oh, poor Clint! Now HE'S "feeling threatened," is he???? Oh poor him, perhaps he is afraid that people might want to bully him!! But he has a family to think of!! Not like those gay and lesbian teenagers, or their parents, etc. What a dick! FIRE HIS ASS!! This is NOT someone who should be teaching children or not be in ANY position of authority over children. I feel sorry for his daughters. I hope they find some other form of parental figures. Ugh.

• 81. Guest  |  October 27, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Be nice to Mr. McCance. Apparently being asked to wear purple one day ruins his life.

"Seriously they want me to wear purple…"
    "…doesn't give you the right o [sic] ruin our lives."

=P

• 82. Rhie  |  October 27, 2010 at 2:46 pm

Small tangent:

WHAT is the issue with men wearing pink and purple? Seriously, a medium pink is one of the best colors on dark skin. Depending on the depth and shade purple can be on any skin tone.

They are JUST COLORS. Goodness.

• 83. Kristen Hutchison  |  October 27, 2010 at 3:50 pm

FIRE HIS ASS! He has absolutely no human insight or knowledge of the world obviously. He doesn't need to have any power in this world over anyone, especially a fundamental building block of our society like a school. People are what they are. Not for the best and not for the worst. Just because that is who they are. It takes all kinds and creeds to build our society and country. And that is the very thing that sets us apart from each other and other places. I believe I was taught that it takes all kinds. However, his kind is for teaching us all how to get along better and be a community country. Hope he gets the best of the other side of life, up his back side.

• 84. NBC Texas station asks: W&hellip  |  October 27, 2010 at 3:50 pm

[…] This story comes in as our post that an Arkansas School Board Member has called for LGBT youth to co… […]

• 85. Lightning Baltimore  |  October 27, 2010 at 4:03 pm

Thanks! I've been a volunteer for two years now, and I so wish I hadn't waited for so long to get involved.

I'm not, however, in the Baltimore area. My handle is my drag queen name (were I one), from the equation name of first pet + street where you grew up.

^_^

• 86. Tom B.  |  October 27, 2010 at 9:26 pm

All I have are three words…"Good God, Clint!" :)

• 87. Toastygrrl  |  October 27, 2010 at 11:24 pm

Yes, the tip off to me was the use of "LGBT", which is an acronym a real homophobe would never use, so I got the sarcasm right away (but then again, I'm a New Yorker- sarcasm comes right after "Mama" and "Dada" for us)

But back to the issue at hand- first of all, how did an illiterate moron who can't even construct an English sentence get elected to the school board in the first place? And second of all, YES his ass should be fired!!!!!!!!!
    How could any school district tolerate one of its board members spewing hate against any of their children?

• 88. Phillip R  |  October 27, 2010 at 11:45 pm

Thanks abbreviation police. Don't write me a ticket. 😉

• 89. Anonygrl  |  October 28, 2010 at 12:30 am

Perhaps he will land in The Deadly Desert, the magical desert that completely surrounds the Land of Oz. On maps, the Eastern quadrant of the desert is called the Deadly Desert, while the other three quadrants of desert are called the Shifting Sands, the Impassable Desert, and the Great Sandy Waste. Anyone who sets foot into the sand of any of these deserts disintegrates.

• 90. Ann S.  |  October 28, 2010 at 12:33 am

Just a warning, this time!

😉

• 91. fiona64  |  October 28, 2010 at 1:50 am

Thank you. My husband has two gorgeous purple dress shirts, and one of his buddies gave him a hard time about them. Well, said buddy was with us at a concert in which the singer did the first act in a purple shirt and then changed to a white one after the intermission. Jeff pointed out to his buddy how much more tired the singer looked in the stark white shirt than in the purple — and that not even counting that he'd sung for 45 minutes already. His buddy was forced to concede — and bought a purple dress shirt.

Love,
    Fiona

• 92. Lightning Baltimore  |  October 28, 2010 at 1:59 am

Ohhhh . . . please, tell me you own knitting needles!

• 93. Anonygrl  |  October 28, 2010 at 2:17 am

I do, but am MUCH better with a crochet hook.

• 94. Anonygrl  |  October 28, 2010 at 2:22 am

I am a redhead with pale skin that ends up looking sallow in purple, so I never wear it. I rounded up the ONLY purple item I own to wear the other day, however, a tie died scarf, and I said "ok, I will look like a dyspeptic ghoul today, but I don't care!"

• 95. Ann S.  |  October 28, 2010 at 2:27 am

I own knitting needles. Lots of them, in fact. I have a number of crochet hooks, too, but I'm better with the knitting.

And I read all the Oz books I could lay my hands on when I was a kid. Great stuff!

• 96. Ann S.  |  October 28, 2010 at 2:28 am

Hey, we could start an on-line SnB.

• 97. RainbowWarrior  |  October 28, 2010 at 4:18 am

Did a little background research on this town, since it's apparently so small that even the lifetime Arkansas natives I asked had never heard of Midland.

What I found: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midland,_AR http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midlands_School_Dist

In a nutshell:
    This is a beyond rural area in Arkansas. There are fewer than 600 students in the entire 2-school district, and fewer than 500 residents of the town of Midland, which isn't even mentioned as part of the district, as it has no school. Floral and Pleasant Plains are both so small they don't even have Wikipedia pages. I wouldn't be so optimistic (or mayhaps deluded) to think that if there are any gay students in this district, they are out, or if they were out that their parents support them enough to take that kind of action. As Clint so tactfully pointed out, gay kids in that area are most likely deeply closeted or were run off, abandoned or disowned years ago. The district is thus basically immune to a financial initiative. I think our best weapon is publicity.

• 98. Regan DuCasse  |  October 28, 2010 at 4:24 am

I can believe McCance would have spit on the first black kids to integrate his school too when he was a boy.

His type of person, the mindset they have…tends to transfer to convenient targets. Bigotry is the worst kind of stupidity man has ever known.

• 99. Rhie  |  October 28, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Ah, well, I am sure you doing good work wherever you are :). I've never been a place that didn't need youth mentors, honestly.

I am originally from the Baltimore metro area, but have since relocated to way across the country. I drove. It was AWESOME. I highly recommend a drive across the US just to get a sense of how FRACKIN HUGE the country is.

Heh, mine would be Frodo Tall Trees. My friend wins with Sizzle Madison.

What sort of animal was Lightning? Frodo was a cat.

• 100. Kathleen  |  October 28, 2010 at 1:35 pm

Mine's Rex Mahoney. Great porn star name, eh?

• 101. Rhie  |  October 28, 2010 at 1:35 pm

Ah, that is true. A purple-red is the only red lipstick I can wear – and I LOVE red lipstick. I'm pale with yellow skintone, though, not pink which is what most red lipsticks are made for.

• 102. Richard A. Walter (s  |  October 28, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Lightning Baltimore and Kathleen: Both of you would have better drag names than I would if I used that equation. Mine would have been Tilly Abney. Tilly was our little bull dog, and I grew up on Abney Street. When I did do drag, my stage name was Rochelle McEntire.

• 103. Lightning Baltimore  |  October 28, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Lighting was a cat, as well. I named him that because he ran so fast. We got him when I was four, I think.

We were told, when we picked him up, that Lighting was a fixed male cat; this was disproven when he miraculously delivered a litter of kittens in the garage one day.

• 104. Top Posts — WordPre&hellip  |  October 28, 2010 at 5:13 pm

[…] WWMD: What would Maggie do?… Arkansas school board member calls for LGBT kids to commit suici… (Cross-posted on Waking Up Now.) By Rob Tisinai I want to know whether NOM’s Maggie Gallagher thinks Clint […] […]

• 105. Clay Boggess  |  October 29, 2010 at 2:45 am

What an amazing display of ignorance and stupidity…or should I say arrogance. He sure put everything on the line on this one!

• 106. MARTinNJ  |  October 29, 2010 at 3:42 am

Mr. McCance is a dangerous and diseased animal who should be kept away from children. The first responsibility of a school is to provide a safe environment which children are respected and can learn.

Mr. McCance should resign immediately!

• 107. RAJA  |  October 29, 2010 at 11:12 am

SHAMEFUL… and a big sigh that people like this are influencing our youth.

• 108. WMP  |  October 30, 2010 at 3:03 am

Since an elected official can't be "fired", I trust the community will organize a recall election to get rid of this idiot before he damages too many kids.

• 109. Endurdydupbug  |  November 4, 2010 at 10:51 am

With the expeditious flourishing of the snare and the increasing of bandwidth, you would think that the fine kettle of fish of behindhand system reaction would have gone away.
    As you learned already, the opposite is staunch: Consumer sites are actually fitting slower. Websites entertain fast growed enough so you can oblige a SEO
    You can on all occasions on finished something that you may like.
    optimizare site

• 110. Lesbians Love Boies  |  November 4, 2010 at 10:54 am

Spam much?

• 111. JonT  |  November 4, 2010 at 11:03 am

Huh – I think this is the first piece of spam I've ever seen here.

• 112. Joseph Bassett  |  December 3, 2010 at 11:58 am

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but depending on who you are you can't and shouldn't express it. When you work with children you can't express opinions of children, when you work in view of the public, you have to censor yourself regardless of personal beliefs.

• 113. DominicPed  |  February 6, 2011 at 12:21 am

LOL LOL LOL

• 114. Anderson Matthes  |  June 23, 2012 at 7:28 am

A person necessarily lend a hand to make critically posts I would state. This is the first time I frequented your web page and so far? I surprised with the analysis you made to create this actual submit amazing. Wonderful process!