Golden Oldies open thread, December 20th

Community/Meta

An original version of this post was published on Sunday, December 19th, 2010. We’ll be having an open thread every night of the week leading up to Christmas for submissions on your favorite pieces of the year.

Over at my home blog, OpenLeft.com, we on the management team like to take the holidays off to rest, recharge, etc. While folks are often driven to write anyway because of current events or inspiration, what we do to keep things lively is feature past pieces that our readers particularly like. We call them “Golden Oldies”.

My tenure running the shop here ends on Christmas, as I plan to recharge as well (and travel), although I may continue at some point in the future. In the meantime, I decided to bring the same idea to P8TT. For the upcoming holiday season between Christmas and New Year’s, I’ll be re-posting some of the more interesting/provocative/brilliant front page pieces from P8TT’s history. The reason is because not everyone has a chance to read every piece throughout the year. As many of you know, if you Google “Prop 8 Trial”, it takes you here, and many folks who came here because they did that during the 9th Circuit hearing, or simply because they just heard about the blog, haven’t had a chance to read some of the better, more insightful pieces from the blog’s history.

So, we’d like to open up the floor to you to recommend your favorite stuff. It could be live-blogging from the Judge Walker’s district courthouse. It could be NOM tour posts, whether the national tour or the California tour. It could be a commentary piece you find particularly insightful that I did, or Eden, Julia, Rob, Jeremy Hooper, Karen Ocamb, Arisha, Rick, or someone else. Just leave a URL in the comments and we’ll pick the best suggestions. And of course, the management has ideas of our own.

To help you find the URLs, I recommend using the Categories “tags” on the right side of the page you’re currently viewing (they say Community/Meta, DADT Trial… NOM Tour Tracker… etc.). And if you want to go back to find earlier posts beyond the page you’re viewing, scroll down to the bottom and hit the “Older Posts” button. You can keep doing that to scroll back and back. Or, you could just use Google, and I recommend inserting the words “Prop 8 Trial Tracker” in your query along with whatever terms you remember, such as the author or topic. If you simply can’t find it, try asking your fellow P8TTers to help in the comments. And if you like someone’s nomination, be sure to leave a comment “second!” or “third!” or whatnot so we know what the good stuff is. An example is here.

I’ll be asking you as an open thread each night throughout the week leading up to Christmas.

So, what are your favorites?

• 1. Kathleen  |  December 20, 2010 at 12:02 pm

Just subscribing

• 2. Lesbians Love Boies  |  December 20, 2010 at 12:05 pm

Gosh – my favorites were every day of the trial! I couldn't pick a favorite.

• 3. Rhie  |  December 20, 2010 at 12:06 pm

watching

• 4. Lesbians Love Boies  |  December 20, 2010 at 12:23 pm

10 places I will never visit!

1. Uganda
    2. Nigeria
    3. Malaysia
    4. Iran
    5. Saudi Arabia
    6. Jamaica
    7. Senegal
    8. Lithuania
    9. Cameroon
    10. Honduras

Each of the countries listed above condemn homosexuality – some even calling for homosexuality to be punishable by death.

The knowledge that there are 'Christian' Americans who either started some of this, or just simply agrees with it is deplorable.

Each of those countries and their views on homosexuality in this story:

The Global Gay Rights Battlefields
    Don't Ask Don't Tell might be finished in the United States but, in many countries, the fight for gay equality has far bigger challenges to overcome.

• 5. Richard A. Jernigan  |  December 20, 2010 at 12:24 pm

One of my favorites is the thread where David Blankenhorn had to admit that when we have marriage equality nationwide we will be more American.

• 6. Sagesse  |  December 20, 2010 at 12:31 pm

Subscribing.

• 7. Richard A. Jernigan  |  December 20, 2010 at 12:32 pm

New It gets Better video, from one of us here at P8TT:

• 8. Lesbians Love Boies  |  December 20, 2010 at 12:50 pm

OT: this is very sad and undoubtedly needs to be corrected.

NC court voids certain adoption by same-sex couple

North Carolina's highest court on Monday voided a state senator's adoption of her former domestic partner's biological son, a move that appears to close a method for same-sex couples to adopt unless the Legislature steps in.

The state Supreme Court ruled 5-2 that the adoption of Melissa Jarrell's son by state Sen. Julia Boseman was invalid because a Durham County District Court judge waived a requirement five years ago that Jarrell had to give up her parental rights in the process.

Under the adoption plan approved by the lower court, Boseman became an adoptive parent while Jarrell retained full parental rights as well.

However, Associate Justice Paul Newby wrote for the majority that the adoption never occurred in the eyes of the law because lawmakers have made clear the biological parent must terminate a legal relationship with the child. That part of the ruling favored Jarrell, who had sued to negate the adoption after the couple separated.

She and Boseman, North Carolina's first openly gay member of the General Assembly, had been living together when Jarrell gave birth to Jacob in 2002.

The majority of justices let stand another lower court ruling allowing the two to have joint custody of the child, saying it would be in Jacob's best interest for the women, who have been sharing parental responsibilities, to rear him.

Still, the ruling eliminates a method for same-sex couples to adopt and could raise legal questions about so-called "second parent" adoptions like this one. They have been granted in Durham and Orange counties in recent years, according to testimony and court documents.

More: http://www.dailycomet.com/article/20101220/APN/10

• 9. Sheryl, Mormon Mothe  |  December 20, 2010 at 2:30 pm

Grrr is all I have to say to that article, Richard.

On a more positive note, saying HI and Happy Holidays to all of my P8TT friends. Between my 2 jobs I have been extremely busy and haven't had much time to read, let alone, reply.

Life is better with the 2 jobs but a long way to go before it gets good.

Sheryl, Mormon Mother

• 10. Ann S.  |  December 20, 2010 at 2:41 pm

§

• 11. Ann S.  |  December 20, 2010 at 2:43 pm

Sheryl, I am glad life is better for you. Here's to it getting all the way to good!

• 12. Matthew  |  December 20, 2010 at 3:03 pm

I vote for the 'maggie meets saint peter' vid, and the 'you can't turn the lights out now' vid about the trial.

• 13. Kate  |  December 20, 2010 at 3:41 pm

I vote for Kathleen's success with pp&m.

• 14. Santa Barbara Mom  |  December 20, 2010 at 3:44 pm

Thanks for sharing, Richard :o)

• 15. Ed  |  December 20, 2010 at 3:47 pm

I concur!

• 16. Ed  |  December 20, 2010 at 3:49 pm

I know this is a long shot, and i have enjoyed talking to all of ya'll….but….are any of ya'll in the south bend, indiana area? I'd like to meet up and grab a beer or something.

• 17. matthew  |  December 20, 2010 at 5:45 pm

Kinda off topic, But I got a great view of the full eclipse from up here in Alaska.

Kinda neat actually…like 15 minutes after the moon disappeared into the umbra, the clouds rolled in.

• 18. JonT  |  December 20, 2010 at 7:59 pm

• 19. JonT  |  December 20, 2010 at 8:10 pm

Saw it here in Denver, CO. Was quite impressive!

Wish I had a camera rated for shooting things like that.

• 20. JonT  |  December 20, 2010 at 8:11 pm

I'd agree with that.

Also, the main post on the day the Prop 8 decision was released was a good gay day as well :)

• 21. Sagesse  |  December 20, 2010 at 9:54 pm

'Don't ask, don't tell' repealed: What's next?

• 22. Sagesse  |  December 20, 2010 at 10:08 pm

‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’ Repeal: Congress Ignores Combat Troops

So pleased this woman is soon to be unemployed.

• 23. Gregory in Salt Lake  |  December 20, 2010 at 10:43 pm

!!

• 24. Gregory in Salt Lake  |  December 20, 2010 at 10:43 pm

DITTO! : )

• 25. BK  |  December 20, 2010 at 10:57 pm

Pretty much any Muslim society condemns LGBT people. I wonder where the pro-gay Muslim theologists are. However, I know that previous and current Christian societies condemn LGBT people as well. Sheesh, why can't we all get along?

• 26. BK  |  December 20, 2010 at 10:59 pm

Wasn't there something like that in Virginia, too?

• 27. BK  |  December 20, 2010 at 11:01 pm

Lucky, you! I thought that the eclipse would be visible from Turkey, until I realized that Turkey is right in the middle of where you can't see it. Oh well.

• 28. Gregory in Salt Lake  |  December 20, 2010 at 11:25 pm

Hi Richard Your "Its gets better video" reminded me how much suffering many have gone through… I was a little "down" after that….so I took this time to click on you picture(avatar) and view "ketubah" video. Now I'm smiling with tears running down my cheeks at the beautiful ceremony. mazel tov indeed! Thank you for sharing!

• 29. Gregory in Salt Lake  |  December 20, 2010 at 11:28 pm

I hope you don't mind my posting….but if there is a highlight of "golden oldies" this is truly one of the year's highlights! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31ijMNH6uCU&fe

• 30. Gregory in Salt Lake  |  December 20, 2010 at 11:32 pm

Magical moments like that give perspective to life. Thanks for sharing : )

• 31. Ronnie  |  December 20, 2010 at 11:36 pm

A short documentary, called Family Time, from COLAGE. The film talks about the concept of family experienced by people w/one or more parents who are LGBTQ……These are the families the anti-gay groups attack….the families they choose not to protect….the children they attack…. the children they choose not to protect….They are families too & they deserve respect…..<3…Ronnie:

• 32. Gregory in Salt Lake  |  December 21, 2010 at 12:03 am

Wow! Thank you Ronnie! I had never heard of this organization. I loved the documentary! I have the hope to share this with my four children. http://www.colage.org/

I would love to hear from the P8TT community of any other great support ideas/groups/sites for children of LGBT parents. I would especially appreciate hearing of those that you have personal association with. Any stories of families dealing with this would be awesome too!! Love, Gregory

• 33. adambink  |  December 21, 2010 at 12:11 am

Links?

• 34. Ronnie  |  December 21, 2010 at 12:12 am

Good Morning American wants to know about your Modern Family……<3….Ronnie:

• 35. Ronnie  |  December 21, 2010 at 12:16 am

You're welcome…<3…Ronnie

• 36. Gregory in Salt Lake  |  December 21, 2010 at 12:22 am

((HUGS)) Sheryl!

• 37. Gregory in Salt Lake  |  December 21, 2010 at 12:53 am

I'll check it out!

• 38. Richard A. Jernigan  |  December 21, 2010 at 1:57 am

This is just another lame attempt to spin the whole process, based on cherry-picked, misinterpreted, misquoted passages selectively mined from the study report. Let's not forget that the UK was threatened with the loss of 10,000 troops when they were preparing to lift their ban on LGBT service members, but only 3 people actually did leave the service. This is nothing more than an attempt by radical, right wing, pseudo-Christian, pseudo-religious nut cases to impose a theocratic regime on us all that would end up with them feeding on each other when they realize that they will never be able to agree on whose version of a theocracy should be imposed.

• 39. Richard A. Jernigan  |  December 21, 2010 at 2:02 am

Thanks. No, I don't mind that you shared the wedding video. This is the truth that NOM does not want their sheeple to see–that our weddings are every bit as loving, emotional, and real as those of heterosexual couples. I am hoping that between this video and the It Gets Better video, that our young people see just how bright their futures can be, and that any who are contemplating suicide realize just how special, wonderful, and deserving of happiness they truly are.

• 40. Bob  |  December 21, 2010 at 2:33 am

I agree, re golden oldies,,, don't forget you have actual trial transcripts, (blogs) which have become historical documents, some of those where acted out in videos I believe, but this would be an ideal time to refresh peoples minds and discussions about how lame the religious rights arguments really are,,,,,,they are documented,,,,,, and it would help focus attention around the results we're waiting for in the prop8 case………
    the religious right, has never been forced to put their arguments forward before,,,,,

• 41. Mark M. (Seattle)  |  December 21, 2010 at 2:38 am

I vote for the post asking us what brought us to this site and what keeps us coming back……believe it was back in August if memory serves.

• 42. Richard A. Jernigan  |  December 21, 2010 at 3:06 am

Glad to see you back again, Mark! Hope all is going well for you guys. Have a safe and happy holiday season.

• 43. Kathleen  |  December 21, 2010 at 3:08 am

I second that nomination. The comments in that thread were wonderful.

• 44. Lesbians Love Boies  |  December 21, 2010 at 3:12 am

And we have so many new member stories to add!

• 45. adambink  |  December 21, 2010 at 4:12 am

Thanks Mark. I don't recall that post. Can you or someone in the comments provide a link? Thanks.

• 46. adambink  |  December 21, 2010 at 4:13 am

Definitely a good one.

Again, folks, the 21 seconds you spend either Googling for the post or browsing for it will save me a lot of time. Please try to provide a URL. Much appreciated.

• 47. Gregory in Salt Lake  |  December 21, 2010 at 4:35 am

Hi Mark! good recommendation!

• 48. Lesbians Love Boies  |  December 21, 2010 at 4:36 am

I can't find that post – here is the first 'Introduce Yourself' in January – http://prop8trialtracker.com/2010/01/18/welcome-t

I will keep searching for the other.

• 49. Richard A. Jernigan  |  December 21, 2010 at 5:02 am

I was hoping someone would be able to find the link for that one! I have been trying since Sunday. Of course, I have also been dealing with weather-related Internet issues, so that probably slowed me down a great deal. Thanks, LLB!

• 50. DaveP  |  December 21, 2010 at 7:24 am

One of my favorite days here at P8TT was the day that the NOM FAIL Tour stopped in Madison, Wisconsin (posted July 27th). The reports from the field, the photos, and especially that incredible and wonderful video – camera starts on the podium with NOM's usual hate speech, and then turns 180 to show a HUGE crowd of supporters with giant flags and banners and even a genuine friggen marching band coming up the street to dwarf the hateful rhetoric with the message of love and equality. There wasn't a dry eye in the house. Around that time, all of the BS from NOM had started to really get to me and wear me down, and that was one of my own personal 'it gets better' moments. Madison, you guys are awesome.

• 51. Kathleen  |  December 21, 2010 at 7:26 am

Agreed! Seeing that huge crowd coming down the street in Madison was so moving.

• 52. fiona64  |  December 21, 2010 at 7:36 am

Despite the fact that I melt under a high-wattage lamp, I have wanted to visit Jamaica (what can I say … it's all about the reggae). So much for that.

Love,
    Fiona

• 53. fiona64  |  December 21, 2010 at 7:37 am

+ eleventy-one. :-)

Love,
    Fiona

• 54. Lesbians Love Boies  |  December 21, 2010 at 7:42 am

Here is the link Adam

• 55. Kathleen  |  December 21, 2010 at 7:54 am

The comments went italics in that post at some point; can someone fix it?

• 56. Mark M. (Seattle)  |  December 21, 2010 at 8:49 am