Valentine's Day Protest Plans, the Supreme Court: This Week in Prop 8 for 2/7/11

Marriage equality Prop 8 trial Videos Weekly Summary

By Matt Baume

California Supreme Court Chief Justice Tani Cantil-Sakauye announced last week that the court could decide as soon as next week whether it’s going to get involved with the case against Prop 8. The court’s a real wild card here — nobody’s sure what they’re going to do. That’s why Ted Olson asked them not to get involved, leaving the case instead of the hands of the far more gay-friendly Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.

Last week’s Comment Bait asked whether you thought the State Supreme Court should get involved in the matter, and lots of you weighed in. Youtube user AlexAndAdjectives commented yes, they should, writing, “Yes it would take longer, but the issue needs to be cleared up legally.”

Our question this week: Aside from California, what state do you think will make the most strides towards marriage equality this year? There’ve been promising developments all around the country, just in the last week.

In Illinois, governor Pat Quinn signed a civil unions bill into law, making that state the sixth to recognize civil unions. And in Hawaii, a civil unions bill will get a House hearing this Tuesday. It’s expected to pass later this year.

In Iowa, Democrats have so far been able to keep Republican attacks on marriage at bay, with a very slim majority promising to block a vote on marriage equality.

The Maryland Senate will hear testimony on a marriage bill this Tuesday, and advocates have been hard at work pressuring lawmakers to support the measure.

Now next Monday is Valentine’s Day, a perfect opportunity to head down to City Hall with the one you love … and get arrested.

Every year, civil rights groups protest marriage discrimination by visiting the marriage counter in their town and demanding a license. When they’re refused, they respond with demonstrations, rallies, and occasionally sit-ins that lead to arrests. You can find out what’s planned for your town by visiting RequestMarriage.com.

And that brings us to this week’s Action Item. We want your footage of the Valentine’s Day protests happening where you live.

Check RequestMarriage.com to find out if a protest has been scheduled for your town on Valentine’s Day, the 14th. If it is, go down to city hall and get video of couples demanding a marriage license. And if nothing’s scheduled yet for where you live, find a gay couple and drag ‘em down there yourself.

We’re going to be releasing a special episode next week that compiles all of the footage of protests from around the country, and we want to include yours. If you’re going to be there taping on Valentine’s Day, let us know by emailing contact at stop 8 dot org. We’ll give you instructions for sending your footage to us to be included in our post-protest mega-montage.

And from all of us here at Stop Eight dot org, happy Valentine’s Day.

• 1. Peterplumber  |  February 7, 2011 at 10:38 am

♂♂

• 2. Kathleen  |  February 7, 2011 at 10:40 am

Nice to see you here, Matt. Watched this earlier today. Fancy, indeed!

• 3. Rhie  |  February 7, 2011 at 10:43 am

WAtching

• 4. LCH  |  February 7, 2011 at 10:48 am

♡ always wins

• 5. JonT  |  February 7, 2011 at 10:49 am

• 6. Sagesse  |  February 7, 2011 at 11:09 am

With you in spirit. No one's going to refuse anyone a marriage licence here in Toronto on Valentine's Day. Small localized blessings.

• 7. Richard A. Jernigan  |  February 7, 2011 at 11:14 am

And what about those of us who have marriage licenses from other states? Should we maybe go to our local courthouse to have them registered and recognized in our local areas? It seems to me as though that is being overlooked.

• 8. bonobo  |  February 7, 2011 at 11:18 am

I checked out Yolo Co., which is as close to Tehama Co. as anyone ever gets. Glad to see Freddie Oakley is handing out IOU's again this year. God I love that woman. If you're in the area, drop in and thank her and GET AN IOU.

• 9. StevenJ  |  February 7, 2011 at 11:25 am

I'm not sure if a protest is planned, but this is an Indiana fail:

• 10. Ronnie  |  February 7, 2011 at 11:32 am

I watched your video this morning, Matt….awesome, can't wait to see the videos of the protests….<3 ….Ronnie

• 11. Ronnie  |  February 7, 2011 at 11:37 am

"ACCEPTANCE"…Anti-bullying flashmob….<3…Ronnie:

• 12. Bob  |  February 7, 2011 at 11:48 am

woot woot,,, way to go,,,, take action,,,, forget the religious issues of he said she said,,, and all that,,, take action,,,,

make discrimination visible,

• 13. fern  |  February 7, 2011 at 11:52 am

When there's action my heart goes with you.

• 14. Straight for Equalit  |  February 7, 2011 at 12:08 pm

I love it, but the anti-bullying message wasn't obvious to me. It was probably clearer if you were there.

• 15. Kate  |  February 7, 2011 at 12:20 pm

What a terrific idea – I'm impressed with Yolo Co.

• 16. Ann S.  |  February 7, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Great job, Matt. I saw this on Ravelry, also.

• 17. Kathleen  |  February 7, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Matt posts on Ravelry?? Wow, I need to get out more. :)

• 18. Ann S.  |  February 7, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Both Matt and his Mom are on Ravelry. His mother, who posts on Ravelry as SevenofNine, has been posting his weekly video updates there in the Marriage Equality group, which I moderate. Matt posts there as MattyMatt, but I think he spends most of his online time in other venues.

• 19. Kathleen  |  February 7, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Great!

• 20. Gregory in Salt Lake City  |  February 7, 2011 at 6:55 pm

seems LLB often ahead of the posts! Imposing myself to repost this very important video as a brilliant example of Valentine’s Day protests.

• 21. chris from co  |  February 7, 2011 at 11:05 pm

Tell me the youth isn't going to fix everything we have seen in the past few years and I will tell you I have an ocean front property I will sale you. They will satand up for what is right.

• 22. Ķĭŗîļĺę&  |  February 8, 2011 at 2:26 am

Maryland Judicial Proceedings Committee
    Live audio stream of the proceedings
    February 8, 2011, at 1 pm EST (10 am PST)

• 23. Felyx  |  February 8, 2011 at 8:52 pm

@Straight for Equality (and anyone in general)

It struck me as odd that was so clear to me was less obvious to others, so I thought I would share what I saw.

I enjoy semiotics and the various ways that we can express ourselves. I saw a story. First a single person took off the outer 'façade' by removing the darker t-shirt that hid the pink t-shirt thus metaphorically 'coming out'. Even when it is rehearsed and even with the solid knowledge that others will join, I imagine that the first girl had quite a bit of anxiety getting out there and dancing alone! Such a parallel to those who come out without any support. Those are the brave ones. But by her 'example' others were inspired to reveal their inner nature, again by exposing the pink t-shirt and join in the dance. With the ever increasing number of young persons 'coming out' and dancing there are also the more quiet and shy ones in the crowd exposing their pink t-shirts as well. Obviously there is no physical bullying portrayed in the 'story' but there is the understanding that there is fear caused by the bullying, the peer pressure and intimidation (a form of non-physical bullying). As the pressure is confronted, more individuals feel safe to come out. (Notice many of the adults, presumably parents, also showing the t-shirts at this time.) The music and t-shirt slogan are a direct message about acceptance.
    It is towards the end of the 'story' that I felt emotionally overcome. This is where the large crowd of individuals are dancing and celebrating together! And this is the part of the real life story for which I so long!

If, with all that, the message was still lost on the 'audience', there was, I am sure, an opportunity for any person to ask one of the dancers or participants wearing a pink t-shirt to explain the message. (Or as you mentioned when you said, "It was probably clearer if you were there.")

So, it was not so much that I though anyone could not understand the message or that what I have written is not obvious, but rather, it struck me as odd that others might not see what I saw so clearly (albeit subjectively).

I guess really I just wanted to share the beauty that I saw. Most of all I am enjoying that I can 'dance freely' now in anticipation of the day when I will celebrate with all my friends, companions and comrades!

Thank you, Ronnie. And even though you weren't asking a question, thank you SFE for leaving a comment that prompted me to share something beautiful.

I love you all!
    Felyx

• 24. Straight for Equalit  |  February 9, 2011 at 7:10 am

Thanks, Felyx, for the explanation. I couldn't read what the t-shirts said and I am not familiar with the music. I'll have to watch it again with newly-opened eyes. Perhaps it is in part because I have not experienced what you have had to live with….

• 25. Straight for Equalit  |  February 9, 2011 at 7:17 am

Now I can make out that the music is saying "you are amazing just the way you are." I missed that the first time.

• 26. Ronnie  |  February 9, 2011 at 7:27 am

Very good interpretation of the event, Felyx…I agree…& you're welcome…this video was posted on FF4E by one of the regulars & I knew people here would appreciate it….xoxo….<3…Ronnie

• 27. Dave  |  February 9, 2011 at 11:53 am

I thought today was they day they would say if they would answer the question or not?