Jim Jordan, the newest waste of space Congressman

Marriage equality

Wow. We still aren’t past this?

After the Supreme Court declined a request to hear a lawsuit intending to allow a voter referendum on Washington DC’s same-sex marriage law in January, Rep. Jim Jordan (R-OH) — chairman of the conservative Republican Study Committee (RSC) — told The Hill that he will push for a vote to establish a referendum to overturn the law. Now, Congressional Quarterly is reporting that Jordan is drafting the proposal and expects “to draw strong support from House Republicans”:

He and other conservatives say they are weighing how best to promote the vote as an example of Republicans fulfilling a campaign promise. The GOP’s 2010 Pledge to America vowed that a Republican majority would “honor families, traditional marriage, life and the private and faith-based organizations that form the core of our American values.” […]

But several lawmakers said Boehner has resisted making a similar commitment to press measures in opposition to gay marriage.

The Speaker skirted demands from conservatives earlier this month for a vote on a proposal to instruct House lawyers to defend a provision in the 1996 Defense of Marriage (PL 104-199) that directs the government to recognize marriages only between men and women.

The level of Republican support is difficult to gauge as the GOP leadership attempts to keep the focus on the economy and remains weary of weighing in too heavily on LGBT issues. In this case, not only does a majority of Americans now supports same-sex marriage, but a Congressional intervention into the D.C. law undermines conservatives’ efforts to present their campaign as a local effort to give DC residents the right to vote on the issue. Any additional focus on anti-LGBT issues could also bolster the presidential candidacies of Rep. Michelle Bachmann (R-MN) and Rick Santorum, who would face the steepest road in a general election.

It’s been through the City Council, the Mayor, court challenge after court challenge. It won’t go anywhere and it’s not a long-term campaign that will succeed. Waste, waste, waste.

• 1. Michelle Evans  |  March 31, 2011 at 10:27 am

They'll never give up on any attempt to hurt us.

• 2. Kathleen  |  March 31, 2011 at 10:35 am

• 3. Elizabeth Oakes  |  March 31, 2011 at 10:37 am

If this is the best battle they have to waste their money on, I say let 'em. They'll lose and deflate their coffers (which works to our advantage) and once again they'll publicly out themselves as the bloated biased hosers they are. I'm thinking The Maggie Effect will come into play here, bigtime.

Still, eyes open, always. I never put anything past these people.

• 4. Ronnie  |  March 31, 2011 at 10:38 am

I really don't understand how many times they need to be told that there will NOT & CANNOT be a vote because civil rights CANNOT be put up to a voter referendum in D.C….They would have to overturn the Human Rights Act….

Jim Jon…..I mean Jordan…..you are an unmitigated FOOL….

I swear, they are like a puppy that keeps getting hit on the nose with a wrapped up magazine but never learns….do they need to be trained by rewarding them with treats?……IT'S BAAAAAAAACON!!!!!!!…… XP….Ronnie

• 5. JonT  |  March 31, 2011 at 10:41 am

Sadly, no.

They will still lose in the long run anyway :)

• 6. Sagesse  |  March 31, 2011 at 10:42 am

They're going to trip themselves up. Can't resist an opportunity for a witch hunt. They have a small army of contenders for the presidential nomination, and most of them are courting the religious right base. Meanwhile, the census shows that the Hispanic population continues to grow, and the Republicans are ignoring them.

• 7. John B.  |  March 31, 2011 at 11:04 am

I live in Washington, DC and what part of WE ALREADY VOTED don't they understand??? It was called the 2010 election and we re-elected a strongly pro-gay and pro-marriage equality city council who had just given us a marriage equality bill by an overwhelming majority (11-2) that was immediately signed into law by our mayor. Not a SINGLE councilmember who voted for the marriage equality bill was voted out of office (the mayor was voted out, but was replaced by one of the councilmembers who had voted for the bill) and the one semi-credible challenger backed by NOM was absolutely trounced in the primary, something they don't want anybody to know or hear (they have refused to post any and all comments attempting to point out these facts on their blog).

• 8. Zak  |  March 31, 2011 at 11:13 am

I have been getting posted regularly on the NOMblog.
    Read this thread, starting from post 14 http://nomblog.com/6816/comment-page-1/

and this post (only 2 comments) http://nomblog.com/6843/comment-page-1/

And this post http://nomblog.com/6754/comment-page-1/

just to name a few.

• 9. Ed Cortes  |  March 31, 2011 at 11:25 am

No jobs there, either!

• 10. Richard A. Jernigan  |  March 31, 2011 at 11:55 am

Well, that just goes to prove that this is another Republican who is more concerned about hiding his own indiscretions than in actually doing something to help the American public. He would rather waste tax dollars to defend discrimination and hatred than to do anything that will actually help get our economy back on track. Sounds a lot like the two Bushes, doesn't he?

• 11. Zak  |  March 31, 2011 at 12:16 pm

That's just how I explained it to a conservative on the nomblog. In case you have an (understandable) avarsion to reading the nom blog, here is a snippet:

21. ConservativeNY
    Posted March 31, 2011 at 5:34 am | Permalink
    I will get on with my life as soon as I am assured that the government will decline to sponsor your moral standards and attempt to force them onto society.

22. Zak Jones
    Posted March 31, 2011 at 8:38 pm | Permalink
    So, you say that only YOUR moral standards are acceptable? Only YOUR religion is acceptable? Only people jsut like YOU can be allowed to have a good life?

Do you see the problem with this? You would have a country full of clones if you were in charge. No one would be any different than you are.

The world is full of diverse forms of life. Humanity if full of diverse races colors and creeds. Learn to live with that. You will find more happiness in your life if you can accept that. If you continue to fight it, you will continue to be miserable.

• 12. dfdg  |  March 31, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Women need to have a selection. Also, not every purse matches with every outfit. This is why you need to have a bit of a choice of purses if you are interested in style. Some colors work with all types of outfits. If you have a black handbag that is probably the most useful color to have, as black matches with almost any outfit. Neutral colors are practical and colors like yellow and green may only go with certain outfits in your wardrobe. http://www.coach2cheap.com Coach Backpacks Handbags are a fun accessory to own and if you have the money you can have a few that you wear with different outfits. But if you simply don't have the money to spend, you should just have one bag that is practical and matches with just about everything you have. Coach Wristlets

• 13. AnonyGrl  |  March 31, 2011 at 1:05 pm

Is it possible that we can get this spam removed, Adam? Thanks.

• 14. Ann S.  |  March 31, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Gag me.

• 15. dfdg  |  March 31, 2011 at 1:07 pm

http://www.coach2outlet.us The Coach Tote Purse is a great fashion trend any time of year. They offer a huge selection of styles, sizes, designs and colors. The Coach Tote Purse is a great summer bag and can be used day after day for any occasion. They offer a variety of sizes as well as colors. There are Coach Tote Purses that are great for taking to the beach because they have plenty of space and compartments and are made of a smooth material that you don't have to worry will be ruined by water or sand. Coach Totes They also offer smaller size totes for everyday use like going out to dinner or to a party. The Coach Tote Purse is durable and long lasting and can be used for many years to come.

• 16. dfdg  |  March 31, 2011 at 1:09 pm

Coach Tote Purses are trendy and very fashionable right now. They are the bag to have for style and convenience because it is so easy to put things in and get things out because they offer so much room. coach handbags stores Coach Tote Purses are definitely one of the bags to have this summer. They are cute, lightweight and great with any kind of outfit whether you are in a bathing suit or in a pair of jeans. Tote bags have long been a popular and growing fashion trend and coach has some of the best products there is to offer. If you are looking for a great "Anytime" purse that is versatile as well as long lasting then Coach Tote Bags are a great choice and can be used for many years to come. Coach New Arrivals If you are like many women who can only invest in one handbag this year, then go for the best and make it a Coach. coach handbags stores Coach Bags are classic, durable and stylish. This time their designers have outdone themselves with the latest hit to the collection, the Op Art Purse. It is a blast from the past with design inspirations reminiscence of the bohemian artist days of the 1960s.

• 17. dfdg  |  March 31, 2011 at 1:10 pm

It's a wild mod mixture of geometric shapes and bold colors of the signature "C" logo made in a Sateen fabric. You will immediately feel nothing but energy with a eye catching Coach Op Art purse. The Op Art print fabric handbag presents leather trimmings, an inside zip pocket, cell phone pocket, key fob and top zip closure. You will be a sophisticated fashionista with the Coach Opt Art purse. It can perfectly compliment your jeans or bring it up a notch wearing your basic black. The Op Art Sabrina is distinguished by its mirrored metallic crinkled trim. This Coach Opt Art purse presents an alternate look for you with its shoulder strap that snaps to bottom of bag. This takes the stunning tote to change into a convertible enhanced shoulder bag. Its counterpart, the Op Art Julianne has its mirrored metallic trim made in a smoother texture.

• 18. John  |  March 31, 2011 at 2:44 pm

The Colorado House Judicial Committee just voted down the Civil Union bill. The vote was according to party lines. :(

• 19. Kathleen  |  March 31, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Oh, John, I'm so sorry! Where does that leave it? Any chance of it being taken up again this year?

• 20. JonT  |  March 31, 2011 at 3:06 pm

I think it is dead. I'd like to be wrong…

• 21. John  |  March 31, 2011 at 3:13 pm

I suspect it's dead.

But there are courageous politicians here in Colorado, home of Focus on the Family, that do the legacy of Governor Carr proud. Colorado Governor Carr, in 1942, in response to some very horrible discrimination against Japanese Americans said, "If you harm them, you must harm me. I was brought up in a small town where I knew the shame and dishonor of race hatred. I grew to despise it because it threatened the happiness of you and you and you." (Sadly, Carr was voted out of office shortly after this, because hate was still ruling the day – the more things change…)

Senator Jean White (Republican), on the Senate floor, spoke eloquently about why she voted for it:

Her speech to the Colorado Senate

The hate won't win forever. Just like it vindicated Governor Carr, it will vindicate people like Jean White, who go against what is politically easy for what is instead right. This bill would have passed if it got to the House floor – only one Republican vote was needed. We got three in the Senate.

For the people in Colorado more personally affected by this than I: I'm really, really, really sorry. You should not have to wait another minute for any right.

• 22. matthew  |  March 31, 2011 at 4:35 pm

I've managed to get a few things posted over there lately too. I can't figure out what the mechanism is. Sometimes I get moderated in which case it never gets approved. Sometimes it just posts right away and sometimes it just goes into the aether but gives me a duplicate message error if I try to repost stuff.

I show up on some of those same posts you mentioned. Under the name Equal2You. I've changed names like 4 times though and had to make new e-mails because they occasionally just ban me outright. Many others have had similar complaints. I see the occasional supportive messages there(usually followed by lots of fabricated lies and name-calling by the nombies)

Their regular posters just seethe with judgment and animus. ConservativeNY, Don(the gays are communists guy), Mike Brooks, Mike Ejercito, and a few others. They don't seem to be good at sticking to NOM talking points. But they are all very good at avoiding the word gay(in favor of homosexual activist), and using lots of scare quotes.

• 23. matthew  |  March 31, 2011 at 4:43 pm

This post from 'Brown suit' Brian today on NOMs site..

At the end it says "God bless you, and please pray for Jim Jordan and for all the great leaders on the front lines of this historic battle for God's truth about marriage."

This is why Brian doesn't get to testify in court. In this country, Constitution trumps Religion. Isn't he usually better at hiding the fact that his goal is to impose his religious beliefs on the whole country?

• 24. matthew  |  March 31, 2011 at 5:17 pm

Oh I wanted to point out one more thing…NOM has REALLY been playing the race card a lot lately. A great deal of their posts lately have involved peoples race. I think its ugly and exceedingly divisive. How do we combat this tactic?

A couple days ago some guy responded to me with this:
    "Equal2you,
    Are you serious? That's not love, that's immoral lust and even then I've personally seen homosexuals dump their original partner for another homosexual or even straight person.
    Also I'm black and I come from a. Family of 5 boys and none of us are homosexual because my Mom and Dad have always been there for us so you clearly don't have a clue and you're just repeating evil propaganda.

Its aightt tho 'cause Jesus said this would happen so I already know that Jesusu is going to win in the end."

There are so many things that stand out as wrong with the reply to me, but the one thing that stands out the most is why on earth do they think a persons race matters? I can smell backhanded racism like this from 30 feet away. "The blacks know what persecution feels like, and even THEY are against you." Its infuriating that they seem to actually be scoring points with this. They outright ignore the connection between religious doctrine and the % of minorities who are religious. And they practically shout out the fact that they think of minority races as 'others', which I think is tragic. IMO We are all the same in this fight.

We aren't black people who oppose gay rights, or white people who oppose religion. or whatever. We are all just people and we are all different.

• 25. Rev. Will Fisher  |  March 31, 2011 at 7:25 pm

I'm back to being banned from NOMBlog, after 'Don' outed me as a Dutch, Communist, homosexual. Lol.
    (I'm straight, Christian and American)

• 26. Sagesse  |  March 31, 2011 at 9:30 pm

NOM and their associates' rhetoric on this is perverse. They have allied themselves with the self-proclaimed 'black churches' (Bishop Jackson uses the phrase). The rest of us know it is racist, but their audience firmly believes they 'own' civil rights, and any LGBT claim to equal rights is a fraud. Their religion tells them so.

The equality side can and does call them on it, but their own supporters won't listen.

• 27. Sagesse  |  March 31, 2011 at 9:53 pm

Grassley puts gay district court nominee’s vote on hold

• 28. Sagesse  |  March 31, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Equality Matters comments on Jordan's move.

Anti-Gay Conservatives Becoming A Growing Problem For Republican Leaders

• 29. Zak  |  March 31, 2011 at 10:30 pm

Actually, Don got banned!
    My comments seem to get posted regularly now. The don't even have the "waiting moderation" line anymore, they simply post. It's like I passed the test or something.

Actually, Don got banned!
    My comments seem to get posted regularly now. They don't even have the "waiting moderation" line anymore, they simply post. It's like I passed the test or something.

But recently, one blog article was written by Maggie. When I tried to comment on that one, my posts would simply disappear. I tried from three different locations thinking the banned my IP or something. Nothing. Days went by and there were ZERO comments on Maggie's article. So I have come to the conclusion that NO ONE is allowed to comment on anything Maggie says.

• 30. Gregory in Salt Lake  |  March 31, 2011 at 10:57 pm

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 31. Gregory in Salt Lake  |  March 31, 2011 at 11:00 pm

UGH : (

• 32. Gregory in Salt Lake  |  March 31, 2011 at 11:12 pm

John, I echo Kathleen's sentiment….. its ridiculous and OBNOXIOUS!

After prop8 passed we here in Utah were awaken from our complacence and took to the streets. I predict the strong gay community in Denver and other CO areas will do the same. Energy and love from your Utah Neighbor!

• 33. Hank (NYC)  |  March 31, 2011 at 11:22 pm

And how soon the GOP and Tea Partiers forget – they yelled and yelled, pointed fingers and had temper tantrums about social issues coming up during this economic downturn and how the Dem leaders and should be focusing on jobs and the economy..

Glass houses anyone?

• 34. Phillip R  |  April 1, 2011 at 1:11 am

That was the first thought I had as well. If they want to waste their money, so be it.

• 35. Sagesse  |  April 1, 2011 at 1:15 am

General interest.

LGBT Community 'Largely Ignored' By Health Research

• 36. Don in Texas  |  April 1, 2011 at 1:24 am

Panel votes unanimously to retain gay sailor.

• 37. Ronnie  |  April 1, 2011 at 1:30 am

Former NYC police commissioner, Bill Bratton & his wife, Rikki Klieman, are New Yorkers who support Marriage Equality.

City Room reports:

In a telephone interview, Mr. Bratton spoke passionately about the issue.

He invoked history, saying that tensions around any number of issues — including the introduction of women in policing — were eased when legal rights were extended to those being discriminated against. Reforms remove the aura that enables prejudice, he said, and the result is “a safer community” for gays and lesbians and for the wider society as a whole.

“I was speaking from the perspective of my police experiences, that once you pass these laws, a lot of the bias or the hatred or the violence that is associated dissipates,” said Mr. Bratton…

<3….Ronnie:

• 38. Alan E.  |  April 1, 2011 at 1:49 am

catching up!

• 39. JonT  |  April 1, 2011 at 2:12 am

I show up on some of those same posts you mentioned. Under the name Equal2You. I’ve changed names like 4 times though and had to make new e-mails because they occasionally just ban me outright.

I must say I'm impressed. I've never even tried to post over there.

I guess I've never seen the point :) Kudos to you for going for it though! :)

• 40. JonT  |  April 1, 2011 at 2:17 am

In this country, Constitution trumps Religion.

At the moment… yes. Hopefully that will continue to be the case going forward :)

There seem to be various republican flora that feel otherwise. :(

• 41. John B.  |  April 1, 2011 at 2:35 am

Zak, I see that they have this story up on their blog now. Try pointing out what I just did–sweeten it up any way you want (although none of my comments that they refused to post were ever rude or profane)–and see if they allow it to be posted. I'm guessing they won't. The truth is that they lost big time in Washington, DC but they really don't want their blog's readers to hear about it.

• 42. Kathleen  |  April 1, 2011 at 3:37 am

Rev. Will Fisher, is it okay that I find it hilarious that Don "outed" you? I'm sure I shouldn't be laughing at someone who is obviously disturbed, but how does one become that obsessed with Communism?

• 43. Kathleen  |  April 1, 2011 at 4:12 am

In a related story,
    Obama nominates lesbian to federal district court http://networkedblogs.com/g8Clk

• 44. Gregory in Salt Lake  |  April 1, 2011 at 5:30 am

In Utah, Religion SMASHES Constitution. The conservatives have many good qualities but "Oh My" try to get any sort of equality measure passed and it is virtually impossible. In Colorado and Indiana, evidently religion won.

• 45. Felyx  |  April 1, 2011 at 7:07 am

Civil rights is about equality for all. To make a claim that one form of equality is better than another form is about as idiotic as a sheeple can get!!!

WAR IS PEACE!
    FREEDOM IS SLAVERY!
    IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH!!!
    -1984

(Somehow that last one is too true to be funny.)

• 46. Ray in MA  |  April 1, 2011 at 9:02 am

I thought Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.) was on our side. WTF?

• 47. Josh  |  April 1, 2011 at 9:58 am

Yep, waste waste waste. That's all the pro-discrimination people do. How much money has been spent by both sides for GLBT equality? If we as a people could just treat eachother right, all of that money could have gone to help the needy. That would truly be an American thing to do.

And did you see that the CO Civil Union bill was denied? Oh, but I thought the pro-discrimination side was only against the use of the word "marriage"? That's what many of them say when it's a marriage bill and they say, just use a different name for a "different thing". Yea, once again proving their hypocrisy.

How do we get the word out about the HUGE WASTE and HUGE HYPOCRISY of the gop and their supporters? This has to be a big campaign issue for someone somewhere that could help defeat a gop candidate. When will a Democrat use it to their full advantage? Stop being SO nice!

• 48. Straight Ally #3008  |  April 1, 2011 at 10:13 am

That's some powerful hatred.

• 49. adambink  |  April 1, 2011 at 11:25 am

Yes. Stop spamming.

• 50. AnonyGrl  |  April 1, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Dutch? I HAVE to ask, why is being DUTCH something that you would be outed for?

But really, that is hysterical!

• 51. grod  |  April 1, 2011 at 1:07 pm

@ Ronnie
    Unalienable right vs majority granted right.
    One suspects that this posturing is not about DC, rather Congressman Jordan and those of like mind speaking to their voter base. He is reinforceing the message that civil rights in America are determined by the majority, most evidently expressed through voters initiatives. Nearly thirty ssm voter initiatives reinforce that percetion. perception. G

• 52. grod  |  April 1, 2011 at 1:30 pm

@ Josh
    The ordinary voting citizen prefers 'nice'. Adults are generally blind to hypocrites. G

• 53. truthspew  |  April 1, 2011 at 10:38 pm

I've got to wonder if these Repugs realize they're just pushing us closer and closer to a U.S. Supreme court case.

This whole give the right then take the right away gets old pretty fast.

• 54. Richard Lulenski  |  April 2, 2011 at 8:19 pm

I was born in Ohio, how embarrassing. Just one more reason why I am glad I left.

• 55. John B.  |  April 2, 2011 at 10:53 pm

Well, I tried posting a comment to NOM's "Jim Jordan, Conservative Hero" blog post (http://nomblog.com/6980) and 24 hours later it has still not appeared. I see no reason why they wouldn't post it except that (1) it disagrees with them and (2) offers their readers a different interpretation of the facts from somebody who actually lives in Washington, DC. Oh, and (3) points out that they and their pet issue had no effect on our elections. Here's what I submitted:

This "conservative hero" is trying to do an end run around voters of DC and city council we elected, the mayor we elected, the DC board of elections, and DC and federal courts all the way to the Supreme Court who have found that a referendum on the subject is improper under DC law. He is trying to undermine the democratic process, DC law, and the fundamental principle of DC home rule by getting congress to overturn our votes, our laws, and our legal decisions.

We keep hearing the mantra "let the people vote". Well, I live in Washington, DC and what part of WE ALREADY VOTED does Mr. Jordan not understand??? It was called the 2010 election and by overwhelming margins we re-elected a strongly pro-SSM city council who had just given us a same-sex marriage bill by an overwhelming majority (11-2) that was immediately signed into law by our mayor. This was NEVER an issue in the 2010 election and not a SINGLE councilmember who voted for the marriage equality bill was voted out of office (the mayor was voted out, but was replaced by one of the councilmembers who had voted for the bill). The one credible challenger backed by NOM was trounced in the primary by an incumbent who had voted for the marriage legislation.

It's time for the opponents of same-sex marriage to admit they lost this one and move on. Good grief, you lost it all the way to the Supreme Court. This is simply not an issue for the vast majority of DC residents. The only reason it's still an issue is because outsiders like Bishop Harry Jackson, NOM, and Rep. Jim Jordan along with a vocal but small minority of small conservative churches are still making it an issue. Recent polls show that a solid majority of DC residents (and not just affluent white residents) support same-sex marriage. Wasn't it somebody on this very blog who said that the only poll that counts is an election? Well, we had our election just a few months ago and the voters spoke.