Remembering Andrew Wilfahrt

Don't Ask Don't Tell

Tomorrow will be 100 days since President Obama signed repeal of “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell”. Repeal has yet to be certified.

Please share the video with family, friends and colleagues. We need to spread this story so people know that we are still waiting for servicemembers like Andrew to be able to serve openly.

• 1. Alan E.  |  March 31, 2011 at 3:52 am

Yet some people are still being investigated for DADT violations?

Utterly ridiculous. I wish that DADT is ruled unconstitutional so that the 13,000+ service members have some chance for recourse.

• 2. Straight for Equalit  |  March 31, 2011 at 3:58 am

• 3. Kathleen  |  March 31, 2011 at 4:07 am

• 4. Sagesse  |  March 31, 2011 at 4:20 am

"Lest we forget."

Not sure the phrase is used in the US, but in Canada and the British Commonwealth it is used to remember the fallen.

• 5. Ronnie  |  March 31, 2011 at 4:29 am

I posted this video on FF4E this morning from the towleroad piece on it…..My condolences to his family & friends…

‎"Corporal Wilfahrt epitomized the courage, dedication and selflessness that gay and straight troops alike have shown in battle since our nation’s founding. Ultimately Corporal Wilfahrt’s story is not about differences or politics, but the values that unite all who wear the proud uniform of our nation – loyalty to each other, love of country, and the willingness to give their lives in its defense." ~ Jonathan Hopkins, OutServe spokesman & combat veteran (Iraq & Afghanistan)

In other related news……

Print Magazine Launched for Active-Duty LGBT Service Members http://www.towleroad.com/2011/03/print-magazine-l

OutServe, the underground network of over 2,900 LGBT military personnel, today announced an eponymous publication which will serve as a resource for the thousands of active-duty LGBT service members in the U.S. military.

Said OutServe’s co-director, an active-duty officer who goes by the pseudonym JD Smith:

"Our first objective with the magazine is to let all the gay, lesbian, bi, and trans members currently serving know that they are not alone. And we also want to communicate to all troops that there are capable gay military members serving honorably, and that accepting that and moving on will make our military stronger. Our goal is to have our next version available in print, at some of the larger military bases. Visibility is key. We are not about highlighting our differences, but demonstrating how LGBT troops are proud soldiers, sailors, airmen, Coasties, and Marines just like everyone else."

Here is the link to the PDF to the first issue of "OutServe"…I've never linked to a PDF so If it doesn't work the towleroad link has it at the end of the article……

<3…Ronnie

• 6. NRC-S  |  March 31, 2011 at 4:41 am

OT but good news:

• 7. Richard A. Jernigan  |  March 31, 2011 at 5:37 am

Will be sharing this very shortly. Have a few business details to take care of, then I will be back.

• 8. Kathleen  |  March 31, 2011 at 6:48 am

UPDATE: LCR v. USA (DADT case)

Amicus Brief by Servicemembers Legal Defense Network in support of Plaintiff-Appellee. http://www.scribd.com/doc/52020255

• 9. Rhie  |  March 31, 2011 at 6:58 am

It's so disgusting. The country is saying that LGBT are cannon fodder. They are good for killing but not good for living. It's awful.

• 10. Straight Ally #3008  |  March 31, 2011 at 7:06 am

One DADT repeal is implemented, though, it's yet another serious clash with DOMA as far as housing for married personnel goes. The vote was also historic – CC folks can correct me, but I believe it was first time legislation specifically involved with gays and lesbians was passed by Congress. That being said, the disparity is awful.

• 11. Straight Ally #3008  |  March 31, 2011 at 7:06 am

One = Once

• 12. JonT  |  March 31, 2011 at 7:12 am

• 13. Kathleen  |  March 31, 2011 at 7:31 am

UPDATE in Perry: California Supreme Court has officially retitled the case Perry v. Brown http://www.scribd.com/doc/52022069/

• 14. JPM  |  March 31, 2011 at 9:06 am

Brown should object.

(snark)

• 15. Ronnie  |  March 31, 2011 at 10:09 am

The Columbus Children's Choir & the Columbus Gay Men's Chorus sing Christina Aguilera's "Beautiful" in honor of the It Gets Better Project & the Trevor Project. ….<3…Ronnie:

• 16. Ray in MA  |  March 31, 2011 at 10:27 am

“Lest we forget.”

Yes it is,used in the USA, Sags.

It's engraved on a granite stone on a Veterans Memorial down the street from where I live.

• 17. Elizabeth Oakes  |  March 31, 2011 at 10:31 am

So heartbreaking. I'm surprised they got footage of the return, that kind of footage doesn't seem to get out very often and it's just devastating.

I was worried that this would happen–the "certification" would just be another way to delay equality. I wonder if there's a way to make another very public push to finalize the certification and end DADT already.

Condolences to the Wilfahrts, and here's hoping for an end to war.

• 18. Ray in MA  |  March 31, 2011 at 10:36 am

Beautiful.

• 19. Ray in MA  |  March 31, 2011 at 10:48 am

[youtube =http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV7yAsAEIkw&w=640&h=390]

• 20. Ronnie  |  March 31, 2011 at 12:41 pm

I just got this email from GetEQUAL:

We did it!!

I just got off the phone with Petty Officer Derek Morado, the servicemember who was facing discharge today in California despite "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" having been repealed 100 days ago.

In short, I have great news to report — by a vote of 3-0, Derek was recommended for retention. With your help, Derek gets to not only save his career, but walk prouder — without the burden of discrimination on his shoulders.

This is good news for a few reasons — it shows the power of grassroots efforts to apply pressure and the reality that, when we expose the truth and stand up for our dignity, we win. We don't know how many other servicemembers are facing discharge, but we will not rest until all Americans — LGB and T — are free to serve their country freely, openly, honestly, and without danger of discharge.

Today was a victory, and we're grateful to Derek for lending his story and his voice to highlight the fact that servicemembers are still facing the discharge process, even 100 days after the law was repealed. We're also grateful to our friends at AMERICAblog Gay, who partnered with us to send Derek into the courtroom with the names of thousands of supporters who were unwilling to let this happen without pushing back.

This was a good day and I thank each of you who supported this effort. The GetEQUAL community means the world to me, and I know that, tonight, Derek will hit the pillow with a lot less stress and a lot more PRIDE because of you. Thank you!

Get Out! Get Active! GetEQUAL!

Robin McGehee, Director

(me) Awesome news….Congratulations to Petty Officer Derek Morado……<3….Ronnie

• 21. Ronnie  |  March 31, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Here is the post from their page: http://hq-org2.democracyinaction.org/o/6535/t/108

& here is a little back story on Petty Officer Derek Morado & the committee hearing that took place today: http://www.fresnobee.com/2011/03/30/2331058/gay-n

<3…Ronnie

• 22. Longestest Lurker  |  March 31, 2011 at 2:37 pm

I've knew Derek back in 2003, and he's an smart guy with a heart of gold. Not surprised to see the 3-0 decision, and wish to let him know how proud I am of him (lost contact, unfortunately).

• 23. Remembering Andrew Wilfah&hellip  |  March 31, 2011 at 4:40 pm

[…] 0 By Adam Bink This morning, Courage Campaign and OutServe released a new video from the parents of US Army Corporal Andrew Wilfahrt, a gay soldier killed in combat last month in Kandahar Province, Afghanistan. The video is part of our new project, Testimony: Take a Stand, the first-ever fully searchable hub of LGBT stories. Tomorrow will be 100 days since President Obama signed repeal of "Don't … Read More […]

• 24. Don in Texas  |  April 1, 2011 at 1:33 am

Navy panel votes unanimously to retain gay sailor.

• 25. Jordan  |  April 1, 2011 at 10:38 am

Rest in peace, brother. You were a giant among men, an example worthy of the best in humanity, and an inspiration.

• 26. Prop 8 Trial Tracker &raq&hellip  |  May 22, 2011 at 6:57 am

[…] was one glimmer of hope in this freshman Republican, who told the story of Andrew Wilfahrt, a story featured here recently: Freshman Republican Rep. John Kriesel, an Iraqi war veteran, broke with his party early this […]

• 27. Nicole D. Balaban  |  July 3, 2011 at 8:54 am

I personally knew Spcl. Andrew C. Wilfhart he was my ex boyfriends roommate in the Schofield Barracks, HI. He was an awesome guy! His laugh lit up the room and it always made me smile! He always kept to himself he was always there for me to talk to when I just needed to talk to someone. When I found out what happened to him it broke my heart. He was very inspiring and intelligent. And he will never be forgotten, but he will always be missed and remembered. My love goes out to the Wilfhart family<3

• 28. champions league 2013  |  April 18, 2013 at 10:09 pm

Appreciating the dedication you put into your site and in depth information
    you offer. It’s nice to come across a blog every once in a while that isn’t the same old rehashed material.

Fantastic read! I’ve saved your site and I’m adding your RSS feeds to my Google account.

• 29. Adam  |  May 31, 2013 at 2:35 am

Heya! I’m at work surfing around your blog from my new iphone 3gs! Just wanted to say I love reading through your blog and look forward to all your posts! Carry on the outstanding work!