April 11, 2011
By Adam Bink
A few items of note:
- Louis, formerly of NOM, dishes the skinny on NOM’s “illusion of support” out there. Fascinating and a must-read.
- Stay tuned to this site for more on Louis tomorrow morning at 10:30 AM EST.
- As posted by Mackenzie earlier today, support for same-sex marriage in New York State, in a new independent poll from Siena, now at 58%. Remarkable. If not now, when, NY State Senate?
- Basic Rights Oregon has a new ad running on marriage equality.
- Former conservative Senator Alan Simpson (R-WY) goes to bat against the “homophobes” in the Republican Party. Nice whistleblowing, though we could do without that term “homosexuals”, Alan.
- Not closely tied on equality, but Think Progress reports that Courage Campaign was named in the US Chamber of Commerce’s creepy Powerpoint on how they’re going to hire US military contractors to investigate our families and discredit us because we’re doing too much good work exposing how the Chamber and the Koch brothers are trying to turn America into a country of, by, and for the rich, powerful and corporate. Check out slide #2 in this presentation. I guess the saying “you know you’re doing something right when” goes here, as it did when Glenn Beck put us on his blackboard, Brian Brown attacked us, etc. Oy.
- Gender identity legislation goes down in Maryland, killed 27-20 in committee.
- Meanwhile, legalizing same-sex marriage is being considered in Uruguay.
- UPDATE: One more — a great video about the life of Ali Forney. The Ali Forney Center, which houses homeless LGBT youths, is facing budget cuts from the state budget. They have about 200 beds. There are over 1,000 homeless LGBT youth each night. That will increase while the number of beds, and other support, decreases. Please watch the video, and if you live in New York State, get in touch with your legislator.
What else are you reading?