U.S. Senators who pledge support for the Respect for Marriage Act

DOMA Repeal

Originally published on June 8th, 2011

The following is a list of Senators who have publicly pledged support for S.598, the Respect for Marriage Act, which would repeal the Defense of Marriage Act.

This post will serve as a permanent post on Prop8TrialTracker.com that will be continuously updated. You can permanently find it by clicking on the graphic you see to the right, which I just added to the top right of the site, slightly below the user login. I will also have a separate post on candidates for Senate and their positions on the Respect for Marriage Act.

If your Senator is not on one of these two lists, call 202-224-3121 — the Congressional switchboard — and ask to speak to your Senator(s). Ask them to co-sponsor S.598, the Respect for Marriage Act. You can also get in touch with friends, family and colleagues who are constituents in other states.

You can also join the 53,000 who are active in Courage Campaign’s DOMA Repeal campaign with Sen. Feinstein. These folks successfully brought Sens. Klobuchar, Kohl, Bingaman, Tom Udall and Mikulski onboard through public efforts, and continue to be active in other states working with members to encourage their Senators to co-sponsor the Respect for Marriage Act as we approach a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing on the bill. If you want to help out a little extra, you can volunteer a few hours each month to be a DOMA Repeal volunteer captain and work with our field team in your state — even if your state’s Senators are onboard, there is much to be done. After you sign up, our field team will be in touch. Lastly, all of the work we do together costs money, so if you want to and can go an extra mile, you can chip in whatever you can on this page to fund our 50-state network to repeal DOMA.

All DOMA Repeal coverage on Prop8TrialTracker.com can be found here.

Senators (33) currently co-sponsoring S. 598, the Respect for Marriage Act [Source: Library of Congress]:

Sen. Akaka (D-HI)
Sen. Shaheen (D-NH)
Sen. Mark Udall (D-CO)
Sen. Tom Udall (D-NM)
Sen. Whitehouse (D-RI)
Sen. Wyden (D-OR)

• 1. Linda  |  June 8, 2011 at 3:09 am

Thank you for this information. I'm so glad to see this prominant focus on repealing DOMA.

• 2. Adam Bink  |  June 8, 2011 at 3:10 am

You're most welcome, thanks for the attention yourself!

• 3. Linda  |  June 8, 2011 at 3:28 am

Oh geez…that's *prominEnt*….sorry!

• 4. sweetleopardess  |  June 8, 2011 at 3:49 am

I'm so proud that both of my senators from Washington state are sponsors!!!

• 5. JoeRH  |  June 8, 2011 at 4:30 am

Why are republicans such soulless bastards? Maybe not defending a law is wrong, but now a bill is coming out to successfully put DOMA out in a typical fashion, yet they still don't support it. Are they blind to discrimination? It's just sickening to know there are heartless creeps out there who have the power that comes with being a senator. It's like they're not even human, but these thoughtless robots who have no concept of right and wrong.

• 6. Mykelb  |  June 8, 2011 at 5:23 am

Wonder why Barbara Mikulski (D-MD) isn't on here? I am going to have to write her office AGAIN.

• 7. Sam Handwich  |  June 8, 2011 at 5:53 am

I'm in Mass…I just got off the phone with Scott Brown's office. The staffer said he didn't think Brown had issued a position on S 598 yet. I told him there were 26 Dem co-sponsors and we'd like to see a republican on board. I plan to follow up.

• 8. Meagan  |  June 8, 2011 at 6:32 am

1.) I love everything that Sherrod Brown does.

2.) I called my other Senator (Rob Portman, R) and the person who answered the phone didn't know what the Respect for Marriage Act was, much less know what his stance was. I expressed the same opinion that #7 Sam Handwich did. I'll follow up later to see where he is on the issue.

• 9. cr8nguy  |  June 8, 2011 at 6:35 am

Kinda Off Topic….but does anyone know where things stand or how they are progressing with the DOMA cases? Golisnski, Windsor, et al? I know they are separate cases, but I don't remember all the names off hand.

I keep looking for info but am not finding much. I thought briefs were already due in Golinski and there were upcoming dates in both 2nd circuit cases, as well as the 1st circuit appellate case.

Anyone know anything?

• 10. David Henderson  |  June 8, 2011 at 7:31 am

It seems like groups such as the HRC don't even reach out to Republican Representatives and Senators, just assuming that they'll be against it. At the very least they should talk to those Republicans that voted for the DADT repeal plan who are still in the Senate: Brown, Burr, Collins, Kirk, Murkowski, and Snowe. But really, *all* of the Republicans need to be informed about this. If we talk to them first, we get to set the initial impression.

• 11. Gerri  |  June 8, 2011 at 7:35 am

Wonder where republican senators for AZ are….McCain and Kyl……

• 12. Greg Dz  |  June 8, 2011 at 10:55 am

Barbara Mikulski (D-MD) where are you?

• 13. seth from maryland  |  June 8, 2011 at 1:15 pm

is susan collins on our side?

• 14. Shelly  |  June 9, 2011 at 4:38 pm

Would absolutely help but I am living overseas – banned from my own country because I am in a binational partnership…I do all I can from here, signing, emailing, telling my story, tweeting, facebooking, etc. Keep up the hard work…please as I want to return home.

• 15. CShowman  |  July 7, 2011 at 9:54 am

Well, I just received a response e-mail from her and she is very much in support. So, I'm not sure why she's not included on this list.

• 16. Adam Bink  |  July 7, 2011 at 10:20 am

That's interesting, and great. The reason is because her office has told us no, and she hasn't filed as a official co-sponsor, either. So, please forward the e-mail to adam at couragecampaign dot org and we'll look into it.

• 17. ABBEY  |  July 24, 2011 at 6:17 am

I am a republican, so first, watch who you are talking about, secondly you are being descriminatory "blindly" as you say. And, I am for the Respect* for marriage act, so please stop YOUR OWN descrimination. thanks.

• 18. jsj  |  September 15, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Who is the next senator that we should concentrate on adding their name in support? How about Sen Scott Brown (R-MA)? He's up for re-election in "liberal" MA?

• 19. Prop 8 Trial Tracker &raq&hellip  |  September 19, 2011 at 9:17 pm

[…] fight pivots to repealing the Defense of Marriage Act. We need your help to do that. Right now, servicemembers can serve openly and honestly, but a lesbian Air Force servicemember […]

• 20. radicalreality  |  September 22, 2011 at 5:18 pm

my question for you is, why are you a republican?

• 21. AP Perreira  |  March 22, 2012 at 9:42 am

Dear Abbey:

if YOU really are a republican you probably aren't soulless, so maybe he should have phrased things better. You arent soulless, THE PEOPLE you elect to represent you ARE and the people you associate by proxy ARE… which is just as bad when you look at the big picture. Now you might reply that you vote for reasonable conservatives, but that just makes you an exemption. if your core values are progressive you probably become a democrat the moment you move out of your state.

• 22. Prop 8 Trial Tracker &raq&hellip  |  May 22, 2012 at 11:01 am

[…] The Respect for Marriage Act, which repeals the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA), will face the 60-vote threshold sooner or later if DOMA does not fall in the courts first. There are currently 33 co-sponsors. […]

• 23. long term care insurace cost|long term care insurance plan  |  August 28, 2012 at 6:17 am

It’s hard to come by well-informed people for this topic, but you sound like you know what you’re talking about!
    Thanks

• 24. Last Minutes vakantie  |  November 11, 2012 at 7:47 pm

I’m more than happy to find this website. I wanted to thank you for your time for this particularly fantastic read!! I definitely loved every part of it and i also have you saved as a favorite to look at new information on your blog.

• 25. Danial  |  November 26, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Have you ever thought about publishing an ebook or guest authoring
    on other websites? I have a blog based upon on the same subjects you
    discuss and would love to have you share some stories/information.
    I know my viewers would value your work. If you are even remotely interested, feel free to send me an
    e mail.

• 26. Klaudia  |  December 20, 2012 at 10:59 am

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on best small business websites.
    Regards

• 27. re  |  January 22, 2013 at 4:02 am

Hi! This is my 1st comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout
    out and tell you I truly enjoy reading your posts. Can you recommend any other blogs/websites/forums that go over the same subjects?

Thank you so much!

• 28. ScrapeMedia Automation&hellip  |  April 10, 2013 at 12:06 am

Wikia…

Wika linked to this place…

• 29. __ ____________ __  |  November 10, 2013 at 10:44 pm

Hi! I just want to give you a big thumbs up for
    your excellent information you’ve got here on this post.
    I will be returning to your blog for more soon.

Review my web site … __ ____________ __

• 30. Learn more  |  April 29, 2014 at 3:00 pm

ve been dreaming about, supercharge your credibility, or start new career path.

This consists of sports science, athlete management, sports earnings
    management, sports medicine and the majority more.

Careers after completing sports management are interesting.

Review my web-site Learn more