Open afternoon thread

Community/Meta

Not a ton going on, though we’re prepping to launch some new efforts here at Courage, so not a ton of time to write. More on that over the weekend.

What are you reading, and what are your weekend plans?

• 1. Ann S.  |  July 29, 2011 at 1:00 pm

§

• 2. Goudy  |  July 29, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Me and my boyfriends 1 year anniversary is tomorrow. We plan on having a nice dinner in celebrating. 😀

• 3. Kate Nome  |  July 29, 2011 at 1:09 pm

Do those 'new efforts' involve a cross country tour targeting conservatives to promote marriage as a value to be shared by all Americans?

• 4. Dana_Jeanne  |  July 29, 2011 at 1:10 pm

I'm trying not to pay attention to the idiots in Congress, trying not to worry about my mom's social security and her medi-care, my brother's disability and medi-cal, and my unemployment checks and lack of health care. I'm wishing I were rich and had lots of tax cuts and could run around and be an advocate. Other than all that I'm afraid I'm going to spend the weekend depressed because nothing I do seems to make a difference anywhere and I have no money to give.

I'm reading an old Jonathan Kellerman book, and will be cooking up a big pot of bean soup and one of chili to freeze for future meals.

• 5. Adam Bink  |  July 29, 2011 at 1:15 pm

• 6. Auntie Adrian  |  July 29, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Reading "ontopmag" on-line and getting ready to go camping for the next 2 weeks

• 7. AnonyGrl  |  July 29, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Congrats! Have a great time!

• 8. Ronnie  |  July 29, 2011 at 4:46 pm

Subscribing & sharing…..

Cover Guys: Twins Tommy and Tanis Reinert http://instinctmagazine.com/cover-story/cover-guy

<3…Ronnie

• 9. Phillip R  |  July 29, 2011 at 5:30 pm

Been following all the debt mess and starting the Game of Thrones series.

• 10. Phillip R  |  July 29, 2011 at 5:30 pm

Congrats!!!

• 11. Fr. Bill  |  July 29, 2011 at 5:42 pm

Since I am the priest at Holy Innocents Episcopal Church on Maui I'm inside doing my sermon (done!). Will go stand-up paddling with my husband later this afternoon and relax tonight. Our friends Mark and Judy Elman are opening a new restaurant so we'll go to the preview on Sunday. All of this is pleasant enough to take my mind off our dysfunctional Congress.

• 12. Jim  |  July 30, 2011 at 12:56 am

Hubby and I are going to Trevor Project cocktail/dinner event Sat. night. Should be fun! Then see fantasy crush Daniel Craig in Cowboys and Aliens Sunday, or just kick back.

• 13. Ronnie  |  July 30, 2011 at 7:33 am

24 couples are getting married at the Pop Up Chapel today in Central Park…..Three of the couples share their story…….<3…Ronnie:

Wedding Expert: Love stories from Saturday’s upcoming Pop Up Chapel http://www.365gay.com/news/wedding-expert-love-st

• 14. _BK_  |  July 30, 2011 at 7:34 am

Some thoughts:

If states with large and thriving LGBT communities are having difficulty enacting marriage equality, I fear it will be nearly impossible for the remaining states to do so.

Even though the majority of Americans may now support marriage equality, population patterns allow for the majority of states to oppose it. Let me try to explain. Urban areas tend to be more liberal than non-urban areas. The Northeast has many large cities, and perhaps it is more supportive of marriage equality because of that. States that lack major urban centers (Wyoming for example) tend to be more opposed. Their cities may be too small to counteract the conservatism of rural areas. So instead of the divide being between liberal and conservative states, the divide could be between the urban and the non-urban. I don't know where I was going with this (brain fart), so I'll probably post an update of my thoughts on this later. Darn brain. Sorry if anyone gets confused.

• 15. _BK_  |  July 30, 2011 at 9:30 am

Okay, so we've been pretty successful as a movement in gaining support for our cause. Is the support gained in the cities equivalent to the support gained in the countryside? It would be interesting if different campaign 'styles' are needed for the two areas… tactics that would be more effective in the respective region. And now I'm just rambling, so… if anyone has thoughts to express, please comment. :)

• 16. Gery  |  July 30, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Well, it’s Pride up here in Vancouver Canada; so, last night I went out for dinner and drinks with a most amazing man and we’ve agreed to do it again.

Today is the closing ceremonies for the Out Games which have been running this week in Vancouver as well and I have tickets for that.

Tomorrow is the Pride parade and Pride fair afterwards so I’ll be attending both the parade, and as the community choir I sing in (we sang in the opening ceremonies for the Out Games as well) has a booth at the Pride Fair, I’ll be sitting minding that for a bit in the afternoon.

All in all, this weekend has been so far, and will no doubt continue to be, superlative. :)

• 17. Ronnie  |  July 31, 2011 at 6:24 am

Congratulations to the 24 happy couples who got married yesterday at the Pop Up Chapel in Central Park.

JMG has links to photos & the website:
    Gay Weddings In Central Park! http://joemygod.blogspot.com/2011/07/gay-weddings