LGBT roundup, Thursday, August 25th

Community/Meta

A few items I thought would be of interest:

• Jeremy Hooper has done a great job in the past few months pointing out how National Organization for Marriage (NOM) has gone way beyond marriage when it comes to their communications. They now sound more like Family Research Council when it comes to “homosexuality”, Don’t Ask Don’t Tell, bullying, and the like. Today’s post asks why they’re taking on DADT at the risk of being even more fringey fringe. From an organizational standpoint, it may not make a lot of sense.
  • The New York Times looks at Gary Gates’ demographic data on where same-sex couples make up the highest percentages of the population. Many aren’t surprises — Provincetown, MA tops the list — but some are.
  • An interesting profile of life in the uniform as a closeted servicemember, in GQ.
  • An interview with Kristin Perry and Sandra Stier in the Bay Area Reporter (h/t Sagesse).
  • Metro Weekly has a lengthy interview with Jose Antonio Vargas, the openly gay immigrant journalist who recently told the world he was undocumented.
  • Jeremy takes a heartfelt stand against donating to Obama until he comes out for full civil marriage equality for same-sex couples. Voting and the like, yes; opening a wallet, can’t bring himself. It’s a tough nut. Where do you stand?

And what else are you reading?

• 1. Ann S.  |  August 25, 2011 at 9:56 am

I for one plan to donate to Obama's re-election campaign. All of the alternatives are far, far worse as far as LGBT rights and, well, most everything else I believe in.

• 2. dsc77  |  August 25, 2011 at 9:58 am

I'm reading this in my email:

"Chief Judge James Ware issued the following statement with regard to recording / broadcasting the proceedings in the matter Perry v. Schwarzenegger presently scheduled for hearing on Monday, August 29, 2011, at 9:00 a.m.:

Dave in Maine

• 3. JonT  |  August 25, 2011 at 10:01 am

'"We will not be recording Monday's Perry hearing as the Defendant-Intervenors do not consent." '

Gee, what a stunning development. Cowards.

• 4. dsc77  |  August 25, 2011 at 10:06 am

I don't consent to Defendant-Intervenors running my life!!!

• 5. Sheryl_Carver  |  August 25, 2011 at 10:12 am

These D-I twits surely share 99% of their DNA with cockroaches or possibly vampires, thus accounting for their severe reaction to anything that threatens to shed light on them. (My apologies to real cockroaches & vampires.) What cowards!!!

• 6. Alan_Eckert  |  August 25, 2011 at 10:15 am

For those live-blogging, it would be great to have a note about which exact segments are being used in court please.

• 7. Randy  |  August 25, 2011 at 10:42 am

To Ann:
    I agree that the other options have become unbearable to contemplate, and I understand why you will give to the President based on this. However, I would suggest looking at working with the trade union groups and other groups working to promote everyone’s rights. Working to expose those who say they care about this country but are taking it down a path unimagined by the founding furthers (actually down a path I believe they expressly wanted to avoid, that entire separation of Church and State thing) would be one of our best efforts. But that does not require giving to a man that refuses to acknowledge that we should be allowed to civilly marry. There are many organizations out there that need money to do just that. You can give to those and support those, it will still help in the fight against the theocracy but will not be filling the coffers of the president. There is no reason for him not to support full marriage equality, the right already thinks he does and the rest of America thinks he should.

• 8. Randy  |  August 25, 2011 at 10:42 am

Comment got to long had to split:

Just my 2 cents, but I cant have a ring around my finger where I live because we have no rights in PA, despite the fact that I and my partner have been together and monogamous for 12 years. I still think of the kids watching this president say he is not for full equality and thinking that gee even the good guy thinks I am not worth a loving relationship, I just cant give to him until he finishes his “evolution.” Even with all the other problems in this country, how many dead kids is it worth to put those problems above the acknowledgment that all people are created equal.

• 9. Ronnie  |  August 25, 2011 at 11:04 am

Subscribing & sharing………

Lea Michele Dishes On All The Gay In Glee's Third Season http://instinctmagazine.com/blog/lea-michele-dish

(me) Could we be meeting Rachel's dads this season?…..(crosses fingers)….. <3…Ronnie

• 10. Mark M. (Seattle)  |  August 25, 2011 at 11:45 am

I'm completely with you on this one Ann. Donating to get him re-elected is our only true option… IMHO
    We no doubt will see a very different man in his second term….all lame duck presidents do more in their second term than the first. But to get to that we have to get him re-elected.
    There is NO alternative sadly. If any of the GOP get in we will no doubt see years of set backs. :-(

• 11. Bruce Stores  |  August 25, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Randy, this is a difficult issue deciding between helping/giving to the Obama campaign or waiting until the President does everything we ask him to do. In response to Ann you made some good points. But there are a few other things to examine. In light of all the positive things he has done, we have many reasons to be grateful. Perhaps chief among them is that he has gone from a position of supporting DOMA to opposing it.
    We may wish that he would hurry up and finish his process of "evolving" on the marriage equality issue. But what could be more helpful to us is the President puts many Americans in a position to identify with him because they too are evolving, that is, feeling ambivalent about SSM. Therefore, they would be more likely to listen to him on this subject and we can also assume, more likely to vote for him.

• 12. Diane Phillips  |  August 25, 2011 at 1:29 pm

Obama may have SAID he has gone from a position of supporting DOMA to opposing it, but the gay man in San Francisco whose partner was told he has until today to leave the US and go back to Australia might disagree. They were told the federal government doesn't recognize same-sex marriage and cited DOMA as the reason he was deported. They deported a gay man who has lived in the US legally for 19 years, started a business, pays taxes, and is the sole caregiver for his partner who is living with AIDS. The Obama administration (Homeland Security) has said he can no longer live in this Country. DOMA is dangerous and instead of paying lip service to opposing it, Obama should be actively working on its repeal.

• 13. SoCal_Dave  |  August 25, 2011 at 2:35 pm

We have only to look at the 2010 election results to see what happens when we let the perfect become the enemy of the good.

• 14. Adam Bink  |  August 25, 2011 at 3:22 pm

One might say that by committing to Obama's re-election fully, one holds no leverage to get him to do anything one might want him to do, and the point at which to commit is not here yet.

• 15. Adam Bink  |  August 25, 2011 at 3:23 pm

I will pass that along to Rick and Ana, Alan.

• 16. Alan_Eckert  |  August 25, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Thanks, That will give us something to do on our end: tracking down the footage.

• 17. David  |  August 25, 2011 at 4:45 pm

I'm with you Ann. I don't like the republicans playing chicken with our economy and I'm not going to play chicken with Obama's re-election. He is on record as fully supporting the Respect for Marriage Act and I will take that as the latest evolution in his stand on same sex marriage. Having said that, I will also let him know in every way available to me (other than holding donations hostage) that I expect him to keep on evolutin'.

• 18. Mark M. (Seattle)  |  August 25, 2011 at 7:15 pm

What leverage do you think any of us or our community as a whole actually have?
    We have hollow threats perhaps…..but in the end we work to get him in, or throw away our vote on someone who can't win…won't win…or is even less likely to do anything for our people.
    Again, this it just my humble opinion :-)

• 19. Alexis  |  December 24, 2012 at 2:02 am

reevesAstronomy on June 28, 2011 @Ke0V It only works with .avi files for whatever reosan. :-/ If you had a program (I can’t remember the name of it I’m on a Mac now) that converts .mov files to .avi files, that MIGHT work. Probably not worth all the effort though.