Prop 8 trial: August 29th hearing on motion to unseal recordings will… not be recorded/broadcasted

Prop 8 trial Televising

Via e-mail, from the district court:

Chief Judge James Ware issued the following statement with regard to recording / broadcasting the proceedings in the matter Perry v. Schwarzenegger presently scheduled for hearing on Monday, August 29, 2011, at 9:00 a.m.:

“We will not be recording Monday’s Perry hearing as the Defendant-Intervenors do not consent.”

Which, funny enough, is during a hearing about releasing the tapes from the trial.

What do they have to hide?

• 1. Alan_Eckert  |  August 25, 2011 at 12:16 pm

"What do they have to hide?"

Everything, but that happens to be nothing.

• 2. Sagesse  |  August 25, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Does anyone else think Judge Ware was just yanking their chain?

• 3. Ann S.  |  August 25, 2011 at 12:28 pm

Consent? Hah! Did anyone think they would consent?

• 4. Kathleen  |  August 25, 2011 at 12:35 pm

I like to think so.

• 5. Kate  |  August 25, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Someone please explain to me why the DIs have to consent to Judge Ware's choices anyway.

• 6. JoeRH  |  August 25, 2011 at 12:40 pm

I think they should have to propose a VALID argument as to why they should be able to give consent or not. If they have no legitimate reason to keep the tapes hidden, then the judge should be able to say "too bad." These people are so frickin shady.

• 7. Sagesse  |  August 25, 2011 at 12:43 pm

Me too. I'm hoping ot hear Ted Boutrous's reaction to being portrayed by a puppet.

• 8. DaveP  |  August 25, 2011 at 12:49 pm

I'm not too disappointed about this. I'm pretty sure the result of this hearing will be that the tapes of the real trial WILL be released and that's the important thing. But this latest news does mean that I'm hoping just a little more than before to be there in person Monday morning. Hope to see you all there!

• 9. Kathleen  |  August 25, 2011 at 1:00 pm

The rules adopted for the pilot program which would allow this recording/broadcast requires the parties' consent. More info here: http://federalevidence.com/blog/2011/june/courtro

I can't find the references on the CAND website, but the above site is accurate. There's a link to a pdf of the Judicial Conference's guidelines, which make it clear that their "guidelines" must be followed in order to participate in the program.

• 10. RocheDen  |  August 25, 2011 at 1:01 pm

Who will be tweeting from inside?

• 11. Ronnie  |  August 25, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Subscribing & sharing………

MSNBC's Thomas Roberts talks to straight ally & wrestler Hudson Taylor about his organization, Athlete Ally, & his advocacy combating bullying….. <3…Ronnie:
    [youtube NBTW9z9NRiA http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBTW9z9NRiA youtube]

• 12. Sagesse  |  August 25, 2011 at 1:37 pm

Williams Institute US Census Snapshot

• 13. Alan_Eckert  |  August 25, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Here is what I want to see on tape:

Blankenhorn was so resistant to answering directly that the Judge rebuked him. “I'm sure you would not want your
    demeanor on the stand to be a negative factor in your testimony,” Judge Walker said. “I would urge you to pay
    close attention to Mr. Boies's questions and to answer them directly.”

• 14. Gregory in SLC  |  August 25, 2011 at 2:59 pm

@AFER for sure – http://www.afer.org/

@CourageCampaign too I imagine ; )

@EqualityOnTrial ?

• 15. Adam Bink  |  August 25, 2011 at 3:21 pm

@Couragecampaign and @EqualityonTrial.

• 16. Bryce  |  August 25, 2011 at 3:44 pm

I am anxious to see Letitia Peplau saying something along the lines of "so-and-so down the street won't throw in the towel because the gay guys down the street got married."

• 17. MarcosLB  |  August 25, 2011 at 6:22 pm

Why don't they just fuzz out the people who are scared they will be shamed by their testimony or whatever and make their voices all garbled and release the damn tapes already!

(Sorry for the run on sentence, I just couldn't help myself.)

• 18. Carpool_Cookie  |  August 26, 2011 at 9:21 am

Uggh….flashback! Blankenhorns testimony is the most frustrating to read, because he's so evasive and argumentative! It takes 5 pages of transcript to get ONE answer out of him! Then the next question will be wrestled over, ad infinitum. He almost comes across as mentally deranged. I'd love to actually SEE the testimony to get a better sense of who he is, because in the written transcript he comes across as petulant and shady.

• 19. DaveP  |  August 26, 2011 at 11:22 am

Yes, but now, looking back, I find it very reassuring and satisfying. EVERYONE will reach that same conclusion about him and about his'arguments'. Once again, their own words are becoming some of our best tools.