Labor Day weekend open thread

Community/Meta

I’m going on some long runs, starting this morning with a 9-miler on the Capital Crescent Trail. Training for Baltimore’s half-marathon in October!

Besides that, diving into The Game by former Montreal goaltender Ken Dryden and Those Guys Have All the Fun, a book about ESPN’s history, by Miller and Shales. Maybe cook some fall soups, since the weather has cooled down.

Posting will be light. What are you up to?

• 1. Sheryl_Carver  |  September 3, 2011 at 7:41 am

Have a good run, Adam! 9 miles is super!

I look in the mirror, & at the scale, & say to myself, "maybe getting back into running isn't a good idea (yet), but I could start doing some short & slow jogs."

• 2. Lodi Gal  |  September 3, 2011 at 8:07 am

Just back from a seven mile bike ride, partly along the Mokolumne River. Still and beautiful. We saw deer, squirrels, birds. And then DONUTS! (Who put that donut shop there?) Oh, well, it's a holiday weekend. LOL

• 3. Ann S.  |  September 3, 2011 at 8:25 am

About to get on the exercise bike. Then I need to run some errands. Oh, the excitement!

• 4. Chris in Lathrop  |  September 3, 2011 at 8:35 am

Exercise, thou eludest me! 😛 Soon, though. Soon.

Sometime after the Scottish Games in Pleasanton tomorrow!

• 5. LCH  |  September 3, 2011 at 8:50 am

Headed out in a couple of hours for a golf weekend in Napa, CA. One course is supposed to be tough….prepared to loose an entire box of golf balls there

• 6. Ronnie  |  September 3, 2011 at 9:06 am

I'm making plans to attend some of the Fashions Night Out events in NYC. Other then that same old same old. Might go to the beach tomorrow.

Subscribing & sharing…..

"Seth's Law" Passes, Seeks Schools' Protection for LGBT Students http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2011/09/0

"The passage of AB 9, or "Seth's Law" after young Seth Walsh, means public schools are required to create policies for addressing incidents of bullying. They are also required to state explicitly that discrimination based on sexual orientation is not allowed."

<3…Ronnie

• 7. Sheryl_Carver  |  September 3, 2011 at 9:12 am

This is going to be a sort of "Tai Chi Intensive" over the next few days for me. Regular class in the park this morning, an all-day workshop on Monday, then a short private lesson & the regular class on Tuesday night.

I just started learning Tai Chi last January, after suffering a retinal tear which brought home that I am getting older, just like everyone else. Even though I have trained in other martial arts (not an expert in any), I am finding Tai Chi to be quite challenging. It looks so simple when the instructor demonstrates, but is so hard to remember when I try to perform the movement on my own. Others in the class report similar experience, so it's just how it is. I'm hoping lots of practice hours in such a short period of time will help. Wish me luck!

• 8. Mark M. (Seattle)  |  September 3, 2011 at 10:44 am

Hubby and I packed up the doggies and headed to the woods for a couple days….trailer camping, but still camping :-)
    Long walks in the woods and along the Snoqualamie river….perfect weather too.
    Hope you're all enjoying yourselves in whatever you do or DON'T do :-)

• 9. Dana_Jeanne  |  September 3, 2011 at 11:20 am

Drinking coffee, reading emails and being lazy. Stepped in a gopher hole friday and wrenched my knee. Cali has more gophers than people….

• 10. Judy  |  September 3, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Having way too many relatives over for an impromptu dinner, with all our Gay and Lesbian literature prominently displayed on the coffee table. Knowing these people no one will say a word. I may have to play Lily Allen's "Fuck You" really, really loud at some point. (Have you heard it? See her live performance on You Tube.)

• 11. Straght4Equality  |  September 3, 2011 at 12:41 pm

That's a lot of gophers!

• 12. Chrys  |  September 3, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Redoing my closet, rearranging the living room – all dependent on the humidity/heat index, though. Hopefully getting out to the Labor Day craft festival nearby. Working on the programme for our wedding in October. Or, you know, napping. Which is what I did all afternoon.

• 13. Fr. Bill  |  September 3, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Sermon done, communion bread baked, laundry washed, the ironing can wait until tonight -Husband Mark and I are grabbing our paddle boards and jumping in the ocean. Peace.

• 14. Adam Bink  |  September 3, 2011 at 5:14 pm

Phew. I am sore. Worth it. I got to gorge on Thai drunken noodles afterwards.

• 15. Adam Bink  |  September 3, 2011 at 5:15 pm

I do like how this is turning into an exercise thread.

• 16. Carpool_Cookie  |  September 3, 2011 at 5:38 pm

Is Kathleen online?

I have to download a document NOW from the Scrib site…and for some reason it's not letting me access my account, etc. Maybe someone else can download it for me and email it? Eeeek!!!! I'm having the WORST day!

• 17. FlexSF  |  September 3, 2011 at 5:40 pm

I'll be pumping up my humps, and starting in 20 minutes. (I'm a skinny twit) Have a pleasant weekend in Maryland. One of my favorite fictions takes place in Maryland, "The Floating Opera," a classic by John Barth. It has a dog on dog scene in front of a funeral procession, a life and the face of death situation.

Peace.

• 18. Ann S.  |  September 3, 2011 at 6:44 pm

Cookie, I can get in to my Scribd — what do you need?

• 19. Carpool_Cookie  |  September 3, 2011 at 6:51 pm

Thanks, Ann : )

I uploaded a new (and utterly fascinating!) document, and then it let me download the one I wanted.

THANK YOU!

• 20. Sagesse  |  September 3, 2011 at 6:55 pm

This will affect the immigration debate.

Williams' personal dilemma will "strengthen Mike's resolve" says campaign manager

• 21. DaveP  |  September 3, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Took the ferry from SF to Sausalito this morning to spend the day with some friends at the Sausalito Arts Festival. It's a very big event. It's not a 'gay' event, but it was really nice to see lots of gay and lesbian couples, some with kids, strolling around the festival grounds, totally 'out' and it's no big deal, and how it was all just so…. normal. Someday, maybe sooner than we think, it will be like that everywhere.

Oh yeah, and I got to see Human League and Men Without Hats playing at the festival. They were great! But sheesh I felt like such a middle aged yuppie.

• 22. Straight Dave  |  September 3, 2011 at 10:19 pm

A glimpse of the future… or how the other half lives today:

I just got back from a 2 week vacation in Norway. Over there, in a mainstream, national, print newspaper was a 4-page story about a successful professional woman soccer player who gave up her career to become a man. 3 years later he went back to visit his former teammates and participate in one of their practice sessions. He was welcomed with open arms and totally accepted. It wasn't that which was so impressive, but the fact that the whole country was reading about it presented in such an open, honest, and matter-of-fact way, Most people just don't get all that worked up about such things.

I brought the paper back with me, half hoping to be able to get it translated and posted somewhere. I can read Norwegian but don't assume most of you do. Their online site had a very abbreviated version, with some photos, which doesn't really do the full article justice. It can be found here http://www.vg.no/sport/fotball/kvinner/artikkel.p

A slightly-edited English translation of that site by google is in my following post (apparently I exceeded some length limit by putting everything in one)

• 23. Straight Dave  |  September 3, 2011 at 10:29 pm

continued …
    GRIMSTAD (AP) Anette Bjelland stands as the most sensational player traded in Amazon Grimstad's history. Now, football boy Ante Johan has entered the field.

She was one of the leading players in the top league, but as a youngster Anette Bjelland had already decided. It was a man she wanted to be. The process was long, but a year ago she removed her breasts and became Ante Johan.

The other day Anette was back among his old teammates at Levermyr Stadium – but now as Ante Johan Bjelland. The 28-year-old had changed gender.

I had thought about it since I was little that I would become a boy. For many, many years. It was something I had always thought that I must do, he told AP.

Anette became Ante: – Strange to change so much with a couple of sharp jabs in the butt.
    Ante hopes that telling his story can help others who have the same thoughts and questions that he himself had. For him, football is very important. I could cling to that identity, a football identity, he says. Football is something you can have your entire life. No matter what happens.

• 24. AnyaAngie  |  September 4, 2011 at 1:24 am

I know what you mean. I should get back into my exercise regime too. I gained a bit of weight over the summer, and I do not like that LOL. I plan on losing 150lbs by my next birthday (Aug27,2012).

• 25. AnyaAngie  |  September 4, 2011 at 1:34 am

Well, I'm going to straighten up and try to promote my new writing group, and see how it goes. Other than that, I don't have anything else to do! I don't think anyone around here is doing anything. But this week, HOPEFULLY I'll go out with my dad for my belated b-day outing.

• 26. Ronnie  |  September 4, 2011 at 6:02 am

Just Married: Cheyenne Jackson Weds Longtime Partner in New York http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2011/09/0

Congratulations to newlyweds Cheyenne Jackson & Monte Lapka………………….. <3…Ronnie

• 27. Sheryl_Carver  |  September 4, 2011 at 10:19 am

I've always been able to crank out 10 regular pushups, even if I haven't been doing a daily exercise program. For a variety of reasons, I've been much more sedentary than usual for the past 3 years. I got down on the floor a couple days ago & could barely do 5 pushups. This is NOT acceptable to me, so …

Good luck & stay strong, Angie! Remember for weight loss or strength training, slow & steady is healthier & easier on the body than trying to do things too quickly.

• 28. Sheryl_Carver  |  September 4, 2011 at 10:27 am

Hope your knee is getting better! I, too, have lots of gophers, in spite of having a cat & dogs who do their best to control the population.

Years ago I saw one of my cats apparently staring at the ground. When I went closer, I realized that a gopher was close to opening up a new tunnel entrance on the surface of the ground. The dirt was kind of hard, so it was like he was pushing up a gopher-sized man-hole cover. As soon as he lifted up the dirt clod, my cat would bat the clod, causing it to hit the gopher in the head, eliciting a stream of gopher-curses. There would be a moment of silence & no movement, then the whole cycle would repeat.

I watched for a few minutes, then left them to their "dance." Don't know how long this all lasted, but I'm guessing the gopher finally got a nasty headache & decided that particular project wasn't worth it. :-)

• 29. AnyaAngie  |  September 5, 2011 at 6:16 am

Thank you sweetie! Words to live by indeed!!!

I have never been good at pushups, but I found an exercise that may be just as good. Stand in front of a wall, put your arms up and out, hands flat on the wall and push up that way. I'm getting quite a bit of muscle on my upper arms and I'm really glad for that! My mom can't believe I'm getting the muscle so fast :)

Another useful, but difficult, exercise: My best friend had planned on going to the army several years ago, and needed to lose weight. She was told to do this exercise, and showed me. Lay on your back on the floor, with a couch or chair in front of you. Put your legs on the chair/couch and do sit-ups that way. I can do like, 50+ normal situps and not feel anything. This, I can barely do 10 and notice it's working.

• 30. Adam Bink  |  September 5, 2011 at 9:13 am

Ambitious! Good for you.

• 31. AnyaAngie  |  September 5, 2011 at 9:53 pm

Thanks :) BTW, I just love this place! Keep up the great work!