Fred Karger calls for NOM to release its 2010 tax returns

Chairman
National Organization for Marriage
2029 K Street NW, Suite 300
Washington, DC20006

Re: Missing NOM Tax Returns

Dear Mr. Eastman:

I am writing to alert you that the 2010 federal tax returns (990’s) of the National Organization for Marriage are missing. They were due in May 2011, and an extension was granted until October 15, 2011. We stopped by your Washington, DC office this week and there were no 990’s available for viewing as required by law. They are not up on your web site nor are they on Guidestar.

No IRS returns available again this year at the tiny national NOM office in Washington DC.

As the newly hired Chairman of the National Organization for Marriage (NOM), a distinguished law professor and a former law school dean, I had hoped that you came aboard NOM to perhaps try and give it some much needed honesty.
Who is NOM Trying to Protect?

NOM has not filed its tax returns on time with the Internal Revenue Service for both its 501©3 and 501©4 organizations for any of the four years since it began. I have had to visit your various NOM offices year after year to request them. Others and I have sent certified letters requesting your 990’s and have never received them. I finally had to file multiple complaints with the IRS to force your organization to release its tax returns.

I have been the most prominent watchdog of the National Organization for Marriage since June of 2008, soon after it was established. I watched NOM grow from nothing just over three years ago, to an operation working in over half the states on each and every anti-gay legal and political battle. NOM is also deeply involved in hundreds of state and federal candidate campaigns. Additionally, all your federal lobbying and other activities in Washington, DC rival that of the Family Research Council.
NOM Under Active Investigation in Maine

As I am sure you are aware, NOM and its former officers are under investigation by the state of Maine for money laundering on a referendum NOM put on the ballot in November 2009. The active investigation of the National Organization for Marriage by the State Ethics Commission and the State Attorney General is in its third year. I filed the original complaint and testified three times in Maine to make sure that the truth comes out. Only then will we finally learn where all the millions and millions of dollars NOM brings in each year to its two organizations actually comes from.

You can’t blame me for being suspicious, since NOM has sued 23 states to try and keep the names of all your funders secret. It was, however, gratifying to see NOM lose its California case this week in federal court (the same case you subpoenaed http://californiansagainsthate.blogspot.com/2009/09/fred-karger-subpoenaed-by-nom.html me in). CLICK HERE: http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_19159246

So, as NOM’s new Chairman, I am writing you in the hope that finally there may be a modicum of integrity at the National Organization for Marriage. We hope that someone with your distinguished record will act in accordance with the law; unlike your predecessors Robby George and Maggie Gallagher.

We assume that you will promptly obey federal law and file and release both sets of tax returns.

I anxiously await your reply.

Best regards,

Fred Karger
Founder

cc: Interested Parties

• 1. Philip  |  October 28, 2011 at 12:58 pm

God, this is a yearly ritual.

• 2. Alan_Eckert  |  October 28, 2011 at 1:01 pm

Fred's signature is a little odd. It doesn't state what he is the "Founder" of.

• 3. Mark M. (Seattle)  |  October 28, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Forgive me if I don't hold my breath….. :-)

• 4. AnonyGrl  |  October 28, 2011 at 1:18 pm

An entertaining read, but if the courts can't seem to make it happen, I hold little hope that this will work. But gold stars for trying!!

• 5. Ann S.  |  October 28, 2011 at 1:39 pm

§

• 6. Bob  |  October 28, 2011 at 1:51 pm

maybe they need some help,,,, OCCUPY WALL STREET, the 99% of us,, could remember to add CHURCHES to the top 1% the chuches are flying under the radar,,, while using all the benefits afforded big business,,,,

• 7. Warner  |  October 28, 2011 at 1:55 pm

We need a law that says if you do not post your tax forms as mandated by law and judicial action, all of your assets can be frozen. If they will not fulfil the law, and reveal their funders, then we need to cripple them for their criminal activity.

When the new chairman can no longer draw a cushy salery for his spreading of hatred, maybe then we might get somewhere.

• 8. Sam_Handwich  |  October 28, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Whose turn is to send good ol Fred another memo informing him he's in the wrong party?

• 9. TomTallis  |  October 28, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Integrity??? From John Eastman?!?!?!?!?! Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha……

• 10. Kathleen  |  October 28, 2011 at 4:17 pm

He's founder of RightsEqualRights (org that sent out the email)

• 11. Alan_Eckert  |  October 28, 2011 at 4:18 pm

I had gathered that, but it just reads oddly.

• 12. Kathleen  |  October 28, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Just fyi, the notices that just came through on the email list for Perry is nothing new. They are just orders from the 9th Circuit (which have already been reported) being placed on the district court docket.

• 13. Alan_Eckert  |  October 28, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Like he belongs on Deep Space 9 or something

• 14. Lesbians Love Boies  |  October 28, 2011 at 5:40 pm

Thanks Kathleen – I came here just to find out what those three emails were : ) You simply ROCK!

• 15. Ronnie  |  October 28, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Hear Hear to what both of you typed…. <3…Ronnie

• 16. Ronnie  |  October 28, 2011 at 9:21 pm

"Why Marriage Matters – Pastor Michael Gray"………. <3…Ronnie:
    [youtube 5qaKeUxcrRw http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qaKeUxcrRw youtube]

• 17. Bose in St. Peter MN  |  October 29, 2011 at 9:26 am

I'm not an expert here, but it strikes me as a game-changer that Eastman is a practicing lawyer. Maggie Gallagher held no licenses or memberships in professional associations that might sanction her for unethical or illegal acts. Eastman doesn't have that luxury as a lawyer. Knowingly breaking the law won't help him career-wise. It's not like he's close to retiring, and NOM is his last job — he's 51, per Wikipedia.

Being well-known and having a high national profile doesn't guarantee future success in the law if you've handled yourself badly. Just ask Alberto Gonzales.

• 18. Straght4Equality  |  October 30, 2011 at 6:14 pm

Unfortunately John Yoo has a prestigious position in spite of his terrible performance with the Bush administration. I think the last thing we need is him teaching law to students. But I guess that is rather off topic. It still burns me up, though.