FAIR Education Act takes center stage in Modesto school board election

FAIR Education Act

Mylinda Mason is a school board candidate in Modesto, CA who opposes the FAIR Education Act, saying she doesn’t want to introduce any kind of “sexuality” discussion into schools. You know, like Billie Jean King, Bayard Rustin or Harvey Milk.

So her signs were defaced, and she responded by attacking all LGBT people in the area. Modesto Bee:

A school board candidate’s conservative view about homosexuality was the focal point for two opposing groups who waved picket and campaign signs Saturday afternoon during a demonstration at Modesto’s Five Points intersection.

About a dozen people gathered there to protest against Modesto City Schools board candidate Mylinda Mason, who on Facebook angrily denounced people she believes tore down her campaign signs.

In her Facebook posts, Mason called those who damaged her signs “homosexuals and other liberals.” She also wrote: “Militant homosexual groups and pro abortion activists have engaged in this type of behavior for decades, only now attacks are getting even more brazen.”

Sarah Ciccarelli helped organize the protesters who oppose Mason’s campaign. She said Mason will breed intolerance at the school district if she’s elected.

“I do not approve of anyone defacing (campaign) signs,” said Ciccarelli, 20, of Modesto. “But I don’t know why she brought up her beliefs anyway. These beliefs do not belong on a school board.”

Mason said she heard about the planned protest and gathered about 30 supporters to counter their demonstration with one of her own at the same intersection.

“I’m not a homophobe,” Mason said while holding one of her campaign signs. “I don’t hate them one bit.”

Mason said she hates that schools would introduce any type of sexuality discussion, including homosexuality, into curriculum.

The candidate is referring to a new state law that requires schools to include the historical contributions of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people as well as people with disabilities. Beginning Jan. 1, schools must include these contributions in social science instruction.

“This is about that they want to shut me up,” Mason said while pointing to a large campaign sign that was spraypainted with “she hates gays.”

Ciccarelli said her group originally had planned to march along the street where Mason lives, but they decided Five Points would offer more visibility. She said the new state law helps ensure students learn about people of all backgrounds and fosters tolerance for those who are different.

“So they’re not afraid of it,” Ciccarelli said. “So students won’t get bullied because they’re homosexual.”

The protest lasted a few hours with no confrontations. At one point, some demonstrators from each side held their signs on the same corner of the intersection.

Here’s what Mason wrote on her Facebook page:

“Wow…Tough day. The Liberals are going out of their way to attack my positions on the social issues that will largely influence any implementation of mandates as a result of my School Board ‘votes’. My Biblical family values are not up for random change.”

“My signs are being damaged, torn down and stolen all over town by the intolerant left. The threat of a Christian grandmother is more than they can take. I just received the third phone call this morning to let me know about the damage done in the dark of night. Having taken a stand for what is right and true, homosexuals and other liberals want to make me pay a price, if not financially at least emotionally and psychologically. Militant homosexual groups and pro-abortion activists have engaged in this type of behavior for decades, only now attacks are getting even more brazen. MM”

More from this local TV news report.

I don’t know what the outcome of tomorrow’s elections will be, but I’m not sure anyone’s Biblical views, least of all Mylinda Mason’s, belong on a public school board. And someone should tell her that the FAIR Education Act is about teaching diversity and civil rights, not what all the right-wing groups are telling her it’s about.

• 1. Steve  |  November 7, 2011 at 3:22 pm

School boards have way too much power. They have been hijacked by religious freaks and conservatives to push their political issues on a local level. It's a big reason for the stranglehold of the religious right on the country.

Also, she was probably silent when "No on 8" signs were stolen and defaced

• 2. karen in kalifornia  |  November 7, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Red California

• 3. Chris in Lathrop  |  November 7, 2011 at 5:31 pm

The Central Valley is very red, indeed.

• 4. MightyAcorn  |  November 7, 2011 at 8:39 pm

If the damage was done in "the dark of night" you don't know who's responsible, Mason. Paranoiacs shouldn't be let around children or schoolboards, for that matter.

• 5. Michael  |  November 7, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Sounds like the Holy Spirit is really trying to convict anti-gay activist Mason’s heart about something! It’s common knowledge that militant anti-gay activists deface signs in order to disparage pro-equality Americans. Anti-gay activist Mason needs to look at her own “supporters.”

• 6. _BK_  |  November 7, 2011 at 9:14 pm

OT but important, at least to me:

Does anyone know of a strong, solid, response to this article?

One of my friends confronted me with this, and I have no clue on where to begin. If anyone knows of, and can find, a good refutation, I'd be extremely grateful!

• 7. Sarah Ciccarelli  |  November 7, 2011 at 9:57 pm

I am Sarah Ciccarelli, and I am the one that was interviewed as the main "opposition" for this woman. I am not a politician, but an avid supporter of equality. If you agree that this woman is wrong, even if you cannot vote here, please come join our group on facebook (Search this) " Students, Teachers, and Families Against Mylinda Mason for School Board " Thank you! :)

• 8. Tony Douglass in Ca  |  November 7, 2011 at 10:08 pm

Nice to meet you Sarah, I plan on voting against her tomorrow!

• 9. jennpot  |  November 7, 2011 at 10:17 pm

Oh, I am sure she was thrilled when that was going on!

• 10. Sarah Ciccarelli  |  November 7, 2011 at 10:54 pm

Great! Always good to hear that. The Modesto Teachers Association plans on voting for Altman, Grenbeaux, and Flores Hallinan. Vote how you believe, but keep Mason off of our School board!

• 11. Steve  |  November 8, 2011 at 5:39 am

It's from a Catholic organization and thus devoid of any authority, morally, ethically, legally or otherwise. You can simply dismiss it out of hand

• 12. Karl Schneider  |  November 8, 2011 at 7:49 am

What the fuck? my comment was deleted in 30 microseconds??????????/

• 13. _BK_  |  November 8, 2011 at 7:58 am

I know that it's incorrect; thankfully that's not the issue. (:

My problem is that I know I lack the knowledge and eloquence to soundly smack down this piece. Also, simply throwing out the information won't do any good for my friend, whose mind I would really like to see changed.

• 14. ididntthinkofthat  |  November 8, 2011 at 8:31 am

once upon a time, I had a discussion with a christian about seperation of church and state. she thought there was nothing wrong with public school prayer groups and that they a good thing. she felt the same about nativity displays on public property.

i told her about a someone who wanted to form a prayer group at school.. but everyone opposed him just because of his faith. they discriminated against him because of his religion and he felt that was unamerican. she agreed that it was unamaerican and declared her support for him. I said I don't think that public schools should support any religion or faith. however if she wanted to support a satanuc prayer group at a public school, that was her choice.

you see… prayer in public school means satanic prayer public school. support of displays of religious iconography on public property means support of satanic ritual displays on public property.

we really are better off keeping church and state separate

• 15. Prop 8 Trial Tracker &raq&hellip  |  November 8, 2011 at 9:43 am

[…] ballot propositions in California on parcel taxes and other props. And of course, the lovely Mylinda Mason running for school board in Modesto, warning of sturm und drang if California kids are allowed to learn about Billie Jean King, Bayard […]

• 16. Carpool Cookie  |  November 8, 2011 at 10:44 am

All I can say is, initially, it's a looooooooong article! When someone has a weak argument, they usually pad it with mumbo-jumbo language like that, and obscure, irrelevant references in an attempt to sound "official". I just know reading it will give me a MAJOR headache, but I'll try.

• 17. Michael Herman  |  November 8, 2011 at 10:46 am

There's health risks with straight sex, too! Many straight couples also enjoy anal sex. Also, the #1 spreader of aids is STRAIGHT sex.

Heck, even the religious right's favorite straight activity, oral sex, has been linked to oral cancers in women: http://www.womenshealthmag.com/health/hpv-facts

Confront it with the facts, and prove to them that gay sex is no more risky than straight sex.

• 18. Michael Herman  |  November 8, 2011 at 10:47 am

Of course, the hypochristians will never see it that way.

• 19. SoCal_Dave  |  November 8, 2011 at 11:20 am

BK, for starters you can point out the section on "Female Homosexual Behavior" that indicates that lesbians are more likely to contract STDs from sexual encounters with men. Common sense tells us if that's the case, they would be better off being more exclusively lesbian, not less.

Also note in the section on "Monogamy" it uses a one-year fidelity statistic for married people and compares to "long term" fidelity among gay men. The one-year stat is questionable to begin with (94%, really?), and the statement "long-term sexual fidelity is rare among GLB couples, particularly among gay males" is not backed up by any facts. The only statistics provided are from "A study of gay men attending circuit parties." With all due respect to circuit party goers, they are in no way representative of the gay community as a whole.

This whole article is chock full of half-truths, invalid comparisons, and opinion presented as fact.

• 20. Steve  |  November 8, 2011 at 11:35 am

It's called selection or sampling bias. Extremely common in studies with an anti-gay slant

• 21. Gregory in SLC  |  November 8, 2011 at 12:09 pm

I read it all and seems like common sense conclusions, which used to work for me, but ya'll have taught me better ; )

Personally, my physical and emotional health has dramatically improved during 4 years in a monogamous, HIV/STD-free, sexually active relationship.

• 22. veritasfiles  |  November 8, 2011 at 8:40 pm

With 40% of the vote in, she is losing… For now.

• 23. Tony Douglass in Ca  |  November 8, 2011 at 10:26 pm

She lost!!!! Resoundingly at that!

• 24. _BK_  |  November 9, 2011 at 6:15 am

Hey CC, if you do read it, could you post what you think?

• 25. maggie4noh8  |  November 9, 2011 at 9:48 am