Happy Thanksgiving open thread

Community/Meta

I’m up in suburban Buffalo with my boyfriend, listening to my little nephew put two words together in cute ways to communicate (“foot, stuck!”) while we play with his older sister. Food’s simmering in the kitchen.

A very happy Thanksgiving to everyone reading here at Prop8TrialTracker.com, and thanks for making the blog what it is.

This is an open thread for your Thanksgiving plans, or for anyone having a conversation about coming out or marriage equality or DOMA or anything else at the dinner table tonight (how did it go?), or just to wish happy holidays to everyone else here.

What’s on your mind?

• 1. Kathleen  |  November 24, 2011 at 9:43 am

Happy Thanksgiving, Adam, to you and yours.

And Happy Thanksgiving to all my P8TT friends.

• 2. Gregory in SLC  |  November 24, 2011 at 9:47 am

Ditto! (@ work today)

• 3. AnonyGrl  |  November 24, 2011 at 9:53 am

My brother and his pregnant wife are headed over to the inlaws for dinner, I am going to go see the Muppet Movie and have dinner with a friend. Then I am doing dinner with my brother on Saturday. The day is not the important thing, the family is.

I am very thankful that I have such a wonderful one, both in my "real life" and all of you fantastic people here. I am thankful that my life has been surrounded with people who love me, and I love them, and I wish, at this time of the year, that all those out there who don't have that kind of support, who have been abandoned or rejected, who may feel lost and alone, find that there are people who will love them, that there are communities that will accept and celebrate them. I am thankful that as a country and as a world, we are, every day, striving to be those people, those communities who love and protect everyone.

• 4. Spencer  |  November 24, 2011 at 10:05 am

Adam, I am very thankful for what you do on here. I am a gay man in ST. Louis, MO, and check for updates on this site two to three times a day. Spencer

• 5. Ronnie  |  November 24, 2011 at 10:31 am

I'm having dinner with my mom…… hope everyone has a peaceful Thanksgiving with their friends, family, or both….. <3…Ronnie

P.S. Don't forget about Lady Gaga's "A Very Gaga Thanksgiving" tonight. Here she is singing "Marry the Night"…… <3…Ronnie:
    [youtube 4B9WXiffEps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B9WXiffEps youtube]

• 6. Sheryl_Carver  |  November 24, 2011 at 10:42 am

There is so much to be thankful for, even though I too often think about what's going wrong in my life or the world in general. Thanks to all those who are working for equality. I'm not going to name names, as there are too many to list, but I want to say a very big thank you to EVERYONE who is part of the P8TT community!

• 7. Ronnie  |  November 24, 2011 at 11:18 am

A Thanksgiving message from Carl Siciliano, Executive Director of the Ali Forney Center in NY, via Joe.My.God.: http://joemygod.blogspot.com/2011/11/guest-post-c

A few quotes:
    "Yesterday I met with a group of kids at our drop-in center in Chelsea. They were all out in the cold at night, waiting for beds to open up in our shelters. One boy, who is 16 years old, told me how everything went bad for him when he was eleven. His father demanded to know if he was gay and when the boy was honest, his father refused to speak to him for three years. His mother tells him that he is a mistake and that she wishes she never had him. He has been running away repeatedly since then. There is nothing to celebrate at his home. I had a hard time sleeping last night, wondering what he had suffered."

"What a sick, toxic force homophobia is in our society, destroying homes, making parents turn on their own children. Tens of thousands of teens in our country have been forced out of their homes. An LGBT teen is eight times more likely to suffer homelessness than a straight teen. The religious and political leaders who promote homophobia are causing terrible human suffering. They lie when they say they are promoting family values."

"The waiting list for our shelter beds skyrocketed in the last year. More than half the kids coming to us for help are from out of state. Most are from the red states. Even though we recently opened a new 20-bed shelter, we now have a waiting list of over 200 kids. In New York City there are only 250 youth shelter beds for a population of 3,800 kids, 40% of whom are LGBT."

(me) A very strong message, please read the whole piece. This Holiday Season, if you can, please make a donation to this center (or even a center in your state or neighborhood) which works hard to help and protect as many homeless youth as their resources can help. Donations can be made online here: http://aliforneycenter.org/ or can be mailed to: Ali Forney Center 224 West 35th Street, Suite 1102 New York, NY 10001…… Thank you & again, I hope everyone has a peaceful Thanksgiving……….. <3…Ronnie

• 8. Jacob Combs  |  November 24, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Happy Thanksgiving, P8TTers!

• 9. Bob  |  November 24, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Happy Thanksgiving, to all the American Trial Trackers,,,, sounds like lots of good family celebrations and of course the dinners,,,, thinking of you all and thankfull for all you do and can't wait tilll Dec 8th trial verdict,,,,,,, cheers from Canada and yahoo to Rainbow People globally,,,,,,,, EQUALITY NOW!!!!!!!

• 10. Ann S.  |  November 24, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Happy Thanksgiving to Adam and the entire P8TT and Courage Campaign family! I will be hosting a turkey dinner for my brother and his husband (who coincidentally are in the picture at the top of the page! at least on my screen), my mother and my ILs.

I'm very thankful for all we have, and that we have the right to peacefully petition the government to redress wrongs. Would that it were so in even more of the world's nations.

Peace to all.

• 11. MightyAcorn  |  November 24, 2011 at 1:01 pm

I'm related to Edward Winslow, the guy that wrote that description of the first Thanksgiving you read in the papers this time of year, with the several days of piebaking and all. The food thang clearly runs in the family.

We've strayed from the original Plymouth formula I'm afraid; we're making egg brownies to surprise the kids, and concocting a story about how the chicken got into our M&Ms: http://boingboing.net/2011/11/12/howto-bake-a-bro

• 12. dwpiper  |  November 24, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

I also wanted to share this absolutely fabulous counterpoint to Maggie's "Gay Marriage at Thanksgiving" video:

Gay Marriage at Thanksgiving; A Response to Bigotry

• 13. DaveP  |  November 24, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours, Ann And please let your brother and his husband know that every time I see their picture here I am amazed and impressed by their ability to make bright blue bow ties actually look really good! How do they DO that? : )

• 14. Ann S.  |  November 24, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Thanks, DaveP, I'll pass that along!

• 15. Jacob  |  November 24, 2011 at 11:14 pm

This Thanksgiving, my remaining family holdouts "converted" to marriage equality supporters! That's three more, California…

• 16. Jacob  |  November 24, 2011 at 11:15 pm

Including, I should say, an 85-year-old grandmother…

• 17. _BK_  |  November 25, 2011 at 12:04 am

Awesome, Jacob! I haven't been working on my family just yet, but I have been working on my friends. Right now I'm focusing on a particular neocon. He's a really nice guy, but he's very… misled. I hope to get him from "opposed" to "neutral" or "unsure" by Christmas. (Those neocons are incredibly difficult to convince of anything.)

• 18. AnonyGrl  |  November 25, 2011 at 6:20 am

Hey Ronnie! Smoochies to you and mom!!

• 19. AnonyGrl  |  November 25, 2011 at 6:22 am

Good for you!!! That is very happy news, and something to be thankful about.

• 20. Mackenzie  |  November 25, 2011 at 10:39 am

This is something I read yesterday and wanted to share with those of you have yet to read it. The title is not indicitive of the rest of the blog but it is simply and brilliantly placed together and the ending just makes you want to be a better person.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

• 21. loaferguy  |  November 25, 2011 at 11:21 am

Beautifully done new ad for marriage equality from Australia.

[youtube _TBd-UCwVAY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TBd-UCwVAY youtube]

Hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving!

• 22. Susan Russell  |  November 26, 2011 at 5:26 pm

Missed this earlier but I had some fun on the HuffPost with "The Gay Agenda Revealed: Thanksgiving 2011." With thanks for all you do here @ prop8trial!!