Winning the war one battle at a time

P8TT fundraising

This post is part of P8TT’s annual fundraising drive. Please become a Sustaining Member so we can keep this community together to fight the battles ahead (and to enter for a chance to win two tickets to the new “8” play premiere with an all-star cast in Los Angeles!). You can chip in here so P8TT can keep going with a sustainable source of funding.

By Mark & Robert Mead-Brewer

This has been a rollercoaster year for sure.  A couple setbacks here, and some large steps forward there have made for a truly wild emotional ride.  And there’s SO much more yet to come.  I am grateful on a daily basis for P8TT, and the family I have become a part of here.

For my family the last twelve months have been full of blessings, personal goals achieved, dreams fulfilled, and a fair share of sorrows as well. These things are life…normal occurrences in life, nothing more and nothing less.  We all as human beings go through these things in the course of simply living.  The fact that LGBT families experience the same issues as any other family is a fact our opponents would very much like to keep out of the public eye.  Gay, straight, Christian, Jew, Muslin, Atheist, Agnostic, Pagan etc. etc. etc., none of those differences matter….or shouldn’t when it comes to the pursuit of happiness, as is promised to all of us in our nation’s constitution.  Sadly however our pursuit of that happiness is still under attack.

The H8rs always talk about how the LGBT ‘agenda’ is an attack on religious freedoms and traditional ways of life.  We all know this is completely untrue.  Nothing more than lies, half-truths, twisted logic, and fear mongering at its worst.  It is up to each and every one of us to take a stand in whatever way feels right to us as individuals.  Battling on the front lines, volunteering on a phone bank, educating those we come in contact with to the truths, or making a monetary contribution to organizations that can better speak for us, organizations such as Courage Campaign.

Robert and I have been together since July 2nd 1983 (our first date).  We held our ‘Holy Union/Wedding’ on our five year anniversary (pic below).  Since that joyous day we have had three other ceremonies.  1993 in Washington DC at one of the great civil rights marches we participated in two mass weddings.  And finally our legal ceremony this past April 2011 in Iowa surrounded by family and friends, just three short blocks from where my husband graduated high school.  Now Washington, our current home state has legislatively voted to become the seventh state in the nation to embrace marriage equality, might there be a wedding number five?

If you are reading this, than you are members of the P8TT family, and must appreciate how important P8TT has become to us these past couple of years.   With that in mind I would urge you to make a donation in whatever amount you think you can afford.  Every little bit helps in this fight against discrimination and religious strong arming.  Please think about helping to keep P8TT and the Courage Campaign running in the ways we have all come to know and love.

• 1. Sagesse  |  February 27, 2012 at 8:04 am

@

• 2. EricKoszyk  |  February 27, 2012 at 8:30 am

It takes money to sustain this website (just like PBS and NPR). It also takes heaps of money to win legislative and court battles, not to mention all the initiatives and referendums coming up in November.

• 3. Mark M. (Seattle)  |  February 27, 2012 at 9:02 am

It's to bad you feel this way Dan T.
    How is you think these organizations pay for things like this site? How do you think they pay for the people to gather this info, to travel to these court cases, to write these articles?
    It all takes money. Money we as a community NEED to raise in order to try and fight the deep pockets of the Catholic church, and the LDS to name just two.
    I am sorry if our pleas for assistance ring of annoying fund drives to you. What would YOU suggest?

• 4. Str8Grandmother  |  February 27, 2012 at 10:35 am

B-R-E-A-K-I-N-G news. The Supreme Court just turned down Cert from NOM's appeal to keep their donors secret in MAINE.

Whoop Whoop, let's lift those white hoods and see who is under there.

• 5. Adam Bink  |  February 27, 2012 at 10:52 am

Come on, Dan. We launched our ONCE A YEAR fundraising drive on Thursday and this is the 7th post. The last 12 months have been nothing but news, news, news, with the occasional "chip in to fund Camp Courage in New Hampshire to help protect marriage equality" post. I'm sorry 7 posts out of hundreds bother you, but that's what your scroll button is for. Content and a working site doesn't pay for itself, unfortunately.

And EricKoszyk is right below, it takes money to help fight all these battles.

• 6. chris hogan  |  February 27, 2012 at 11:10 am

GREAT!!!! This will put people on notice that if you contribute to a campaign bent on attacking innocent families, your reputation may suffer. This will cause fewer and fewer folks to give less and less money, which will make our victories easier. it will then become apparent that the Catholic Church and a few wealthy haters are bankrolling them, and we can point this out repeatedly in the up and coming battles. I haven't said this for a while, but THANK YOU SCOTUS!

• 7. Str8Grandmother  |  February 27, 2012 at 11:15 am

Chris, I can hardly wait for the picket lines that these disclosures will surely generate.

I am so darned curious the percentages of Baptist Money, Mormon Money and Catholic Money are going to be. Betcha that family that owns Chick-Fil-A is on the list, wanna bet?

Sure Focus on The Family has to be contributing as well. Any day now, we get to rip off those white hoods and see who is under there.

• 8. Joe  |  February 27, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Freedom is not free. Ask any family that has ever lost a soldier.

• 9. Gregory in SLC  |  February 27, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Marine Kiss : D !

p.s. Mark, thx for message…happy for Washington State!

• 10. Mark M. (Seattle)  |  February 27, 2012 at 12:50 pm

That pic has brought tears to my eyes all weekend.
    I shared it on my FB page as well.
    It brings back such memories of waiting on the pier for Robert's ship to pull in…..trying not to look overly excited, trying to act almost indifferent. I often took female friends of ours along so as to not draw to much attention to the fact that another man was waiing for him to come ashore.
    How I longed to be able to give him that sort of welcome home.
    Those long 8 and 10 month deployments were so hard on both of us. The secret letters I would write, using a female name ( I was Marcie), the very infrequent phone calls (long before cell phones), we had to be SO careful of what we said as many of the phone lines were listened in on.
    People on the outside of the military have no idea just how hard the policies like DADT were on families like ours.
    It makes my heart sing when I see these types of pic being sown. :-)

• 11. Gregory in SLC  |  February 27, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Oh my! That does put things in perspective!! Hopefully those days are over Mark. Bless you(and Robert) for enduring it! Love, Gregory

• 12. Bob  |  February 27, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Happy for you Mark,,, and great post!!!!

• 13. Mark M. (Seattle)  |  February 27, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Thanks Bob :-)

• 14. Mark M. (Seattle)  |  February 27, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Love you too Gregory :-)

• 15. Christian  |  February 27, 2012 at 2:36 pm

While the fundraising drive can be annoying, especially to those of us broke and unemployed (anyone want to hire a good computer geek?!), the Courage Campaign doesn't bombard us with it much. I've been reading the site since January 2010 for the live blogging of the original Prop 8 trial. Two years has flown by and this site has almost always been a great source of information about what's going on. If I could, I'd give a few buck to make the "begging" go away for a while.

• 16. MightyAcorn  |  February 27, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Only annoying if you're freeloading. Have you made your pledge yet? If not, maybe you shouldn't whine so much. That's far more annoying, especially to those of us who have already put our cash on the barrel.

Yes, I'm already a sustaining member. As an adult, I comprehend the reality that making P8TT happen takes commited people, bandwidth, and money. I can't afford to give a lot, but I give what I can gladly so this site can stay alive. And I don't COMPLAIN about it, either.

So while I'm mulling the fact that I help pay the bills around here and how many times over I get my money's worth: YOU'RE WELCOME, DAN.