North Carolina anti-gay Amendment 1 RESULTS THREAD #1

Amendment One

By Scottie Thomaston

Welcome to Prop 8 Trial Tracker’s North Carolina primary election coverage! Adam and Cait, Courage’s data director, are in the war room up in NC. Other volunteers are on the ground in the state working hard until this is all over. We have been covering reports on turnout today throughout the day and we will be bringing you original reports from inside the state for the remainder of the night. Polls close at 7:30PM EST.

Update 27: AP has called the race, reporting the amendment has passed.

Update 26: Via Adam: “Turnout about 1.1 million people so far. Total turnout in 2004 primary was 846K. Total turnout in 2008 primary was 2.1 million. Currently on track to beat that.”

Update 25: Statewide numbers: 30% reporting. 57 for, 43 against.

Update 24: On turnout:

Early voting turnout was heavy in places like Alexander and Mitchell counties — mostly rural areas where Amendment One is expected to pass easily. But voter turnout also was high in Durham and Orange counties, where large concentrations of younger voters are expected to vote against the issue.

Update 23: Buncombe Co., where Ashville is, is at 53 against, 47 for. With about 75% reporting.

Update 22: Wake County in, 57% against.

Update 21: 18% in, 55 for, 45 against.

Update 20: Charlotte Observer says 12% of precincts reporting, 53% for, 47% against

Update 19: Jacob is following the Colorado civil unions bill and writing a live update via Quick Hits. Go there for CO updates!

Update 18: Via Adam: 92% of Wake (Raleigh) is in. It looks like we underperformed. People on the ground say Wake is a lot more conservative than folks say it is based on past election history. Only 57% against.

Update 17: Via Adam, again: 100% of Orange County is now in. ~36,000 votes against, ~9,500 for.

Update 16: Via Adam Bink on the ground in NC: “Durham has finally started to come in. 25% in. 75% against.” Durham had an awesome turnout program for early voting.

Update 15: In Mecklenburg Co. where Charlotte is, 42.6 for, 57.4 against.

Update 14: Orange County final total. 43.6% turnout. 79% against, 21 for.

Update 13: 5 counties in. 57 for, 43 against. Orange Co. turnout at 43%. Wake Co. 36%.

Update 12: 57% of Orange is in and we are up 81% against Amendment 1.

Update 11: PPP: First county fully reported- Lincoln County north of Charlotte- voted 77% for the amendment.

This was expected.

Update 10: Durham, the opposition’s best county, has not reported any numbers yet at all.

Update 9: Adam Bink writes in: “Amendment 1 is failing by wide margins so far among early votes in the places where it should — Orange, Wake (Research Triangle), Mecklenburg (Charlotte). In other places it is winning by a margin of 3 to 1 or more in rural counties. 10 counties are partially in so far.”

Update 8: @tlanehudson: Estimates seem to be that around 2.3M voted in NC today. With 420K votes, 53% for on 1, 47% against.

Update 7: @nccapitol: At 338K, Amendment still winning, but margin tighter – 53-47. Waiting for another 150K or so early votes.

Update 6: The Shelby Star, a newspaper in NC, tweets:

STATEWIDE Amendment One (current) results – 51% for, 48% against #NCElections Different story in CCounty – 76% for

Update 5: Also:

Orange County early vote 87-13 against the amendment.

Protect All NC Families’ campaign staff says “expected them to come out big, but that’s outstanding. Good sign.”

Chapel Hill and what’s known locally as “the people’s republic of Carrboro” are in Orange County. UNC Chapel Hill is there. Courage staff and members have been canvassing Orange County to drive turnout for each of the last 3 days.

Update 4: Via PPP:

Something to watch for in NC amendment returns- is it failing anywhere outside Durham/Orange/Wake/Meck/Buncombe Counties?

Update 3: Via Quick Hits:

“In Georgia, where my partner and I voted regularly for the last 10 years, people campaigning at voting locations must stand 150 feet from the entrance of the building. So even though we’d voted in controversial elections before, we’d always parked inside the buffer zone and never had to walk through a gauntlet of electioneers. In North Carolina the buffer zone is much smaller, set by law to be a minimum of 25 feet to a maximum of 50 feet, varying by location.

“This law has got to change. Voters should never have to walk through a gauntlet to get to the polls, especially when they’re voting on deeply personal issues. I plan to always bring my children with me when I vote, so that they understand from an early age that voting is an important and meaningful part of adult life. They should not have to be exposed to the uncivil, oppressive harassment that we experienced on May 4.”

Update 2: “Reports from precincts across the state are that there are long lines at the polls with an hour to go. We’re strongly encouraging people to stay in line.” –Chris Macneil, Field Director, Campaign to Protect All NC Families

Update 1: Some news that broke during the day is that there are reports of problems with some voters receiving ballots with no amendments on them. The Huffington Post’s Gay Voices reported:

All, we’re getting reports here in Chapel Hill, Carrboro and Raleigh (which are base areas for us, e.g. anti-Amendment 1) of precincts handing out INCORRECT ballots. In North Carolina, 17-year-olds can vote in the statewide primary (e.g., for governor, etc.) if they turn 18 by November 6th. However, they CANNOT vote on Amendment 1 in this primary — they can only vote for candidates — therefore they are being handed ballots WITHOUT Amendment 1. That is proper election procedure.

At least two media outlets in North Carolina followed up.

Update : News Observer in the state says there was very high turnout:

As North Carolina polls prepared to close at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, state election officials suggested voter turnout could reach 2008’s high-water mark or possibly exceed the 37 percent threshold.

The strong voter interest on primary election day, combined with record early voting numbers, is a result of a referendum on whether to enshrine a ban on gay marriage and civil unions into the constitution.

The extra attention is coming with a few voting problems. At least three people in Chatham County received ballots this morning without the amendment question and similar problems were reported elsewhere in the state, including Winston-Salem. State election officials called the irregularities isolated.

• 1. Ray  |  May 8, 2012 at 4:06 pm

This is why Amendments and other issues should not be voted on during a primary election like this. Anything other than the presidential candidate should be saved for the November general election so that all eligible voters are able to vote. Conversely, if young people are allowed to vote early on any issue they should be allowed to vote on ALL issues.

• 2. Cooper888  |  May 8, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Pins and needles! Leaving work in about 20 minutes and will check back in around 5:30 pacific (8:30 eastern) Hopefully by then it will have been a slam dunk! (a boy can dream right??)

• 3. Andrew  |  May 8, 2012 at 4:10 pm

I'm sick to my stomach over this. This is really going to hurt people if it passes.

• 4. brad  |  May 8, 2012 at 4:12 pm

PLEASE dont let Amendment One pass….hell i am straight, from Canada and this bothers me so much
    I can HARDLY believe the USA actually allows crap like this.

• 5. Bob  |  May 8, 2012 at 4:15 pm

All eyes on North Carolina !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 6. MichaelJN  |  May 8, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Issues related to the rights of citizens should NEVER be put up to popular vote!

• 7. Michael Scott  |  May 8, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Found this. Amendment One is at the very bottom. Results should start updating in a few minutes when polls close: http://results.enr.clarityelections.com/NC/36596/

And, here's a link with only Amendment One: http://results.enr.clarityelections.com/NC/36596/

• 8. Michael Scott  |  May 8, 2012 at 4:33 pm

Holy shit! We're ahead by almost 4%! Let's hope this trend continues!

• 9. Michael Scott  |  May 8, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Damn. Well, it ain't over 'til it's over.

• 10. Cooper888  |  May 8, 2012 at 4:37 pm

PublicPolicyPolling ‏ @ppppolls Orange County early vote 87-13 against the amendment. Also Dalton up 20- good sign for him in the Triangle #ncpol

WOW!

• 11. mppp  |  May 8, 2012 at 4:37 pm

The first result that will come in will be early voters, followed by metropolitan areas and then more rural counties. We will need to maintain a build a lead, as the later reported votes will likely be largely in support of the Amendment.

• 12. Rich  |  May 8, 2012 at 4:38 pm

Just reversed, we're behind by 3%

• 13. Jamie  |  May 8, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Pins and needles? Why? Everyone knows that the amendment is going to pass. You are deluding yourself if you think otherwise. I'm sorry this site has misled you and caused false hope.

• 14. Michael  |  May 8, 2012 at 4:41 pm

Here in California, I'm praying for NC! May Amendment 1 lose! Amen!

• 15. Jamie  |  May 8, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Was a lawsuit filed to prevent Amendment One from going into effect when it passes? If not, why not?

• 16. Dizzy  |  May 8, 2012 at 4:42 pm

On the west coast as well at work and cant get anything done….keeping my fingers crossed and praying hard!

• 17. AnonyGrl  |  May 8, 2012 at 4:44 pm

It'll probably keep twitching back and forth for a while… but I am glad at least we are so close!

• 18. QAE Review  |  May 8, 2012 at 4:47 pm

AMEN!

• 19. Kirk linn  |  May 8, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Ou know if this fails they will have it back on the ballot as soon as possible like they did with Arizona where it failed the first time. I hope it does loose I have too many states on the can’t travel list.

• 20. Jenn976  |  May 8, 2012 at 4:50 pm

"This is why Amendments and other issues should not be voted on during a primary election like this."

Civil rights should NEVER be voted on.

• 21. Str8Grandmother  |  May 8, 2012 at 4:54 pm

If you think about it if the gay population is 2% – 3% the fact that they can get such high support says a lot. It sure is tough to be a minority getting your rights voted on by the majority.

• 22. talbet  |  May 8, 2012 at 4:57 pm

what are being reported so far is rural counties as near as i can tell

• 23. Str8Grandmother  |  May 8, 2012 at 4:58 pm

I am trying to find out about that hearing in California to make it illegal to give ex-gay "reparative therapy" to minors. I found one guy on twitter in the hearing room Seth Bramble but he works for the teachers union I htink and I think he is there for something else. Equality California who pushed this I can't see is live tweeting this. If anybody finds some live tweeting on this pls let us know. I think it is happening right now.

• 24. fiona64  |  May 8, 2012 at 4:58 pm

You know, you have *got* to be one of the least helpful posters I've ever read here, and I've been on the site since day 1. Yes, it's possible that Amendment 1 will pass. Your constant mean-spiritedness is just painful to read. Have you considered collecting stamps, or some other hobby, instead of doing what is starting to look a lot like "concern-trolling" this site?

• 25. Str8Grandmother  |  May 8, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Michael, you are terrific! I am following that second link. I wonder what One Stop is, it is killing us.

• 26. Bob  |  May 8, 2012 at 5:02 pm

this site did not misled anyone,,,,,, they were forthright with their request for funding,,, and told us what they were doing with the money we donated,,,,,

I will say it again,,,, many thanks to C.C. for all their efforts and hard work on the ground,,,, a job well done,,,,

what they have succeeded at, is getting this much involvement on the issue,,, and so much education,,, that if the Bill passes,,,, it will be a sorry realization,,, and no one can say an effort wasn't made to inform them

• 27. Michael Scott  |  May 8, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Regardless of the outcome, two of those 'Against' votes are my parents. And those two votes are the ones that mean the most to me.

• 28. mppp  |  May 8, 2012 at 5:05 pm

its very interesting seeing the breakdown in votes: we have been leading all evening in election day votes… it's the early voting that's killing us. older voters are more like to take advantage of early voting

• 29. Str8Grandmother  |  May 8, 2012 at 5:09 pm

I am following the second link provided by Michael Scott. http://results.enr.clarityelections.com/NC/36596/

This one has jsut the amendment on it. Does anybody know what "One Stop" is? Whatever it is it is killing us. So far we have turned out the vote and also in mail in ballots. What the Heck is "One Stop"

• 30. Bob  |  May 8, 2012 at 5:09 pm

woot woot Michael,,,,, and I'm sure there are many other similar stories,,,,, of votes that matter,,,,,,,,,,,, thank your parents ,,,, from Canada,,,,, it's reassuring to know

• 31. Richard Lyon  |  May 8, 2012 at 5:10 pm

BUZZ OFF!!!!

• 32. Straight Dave  |  May 8, 2012 at 5:11 pm

OneStop is the pre-election voting, which ended Sat. I don't know if those votes have all been counted yet, but nobody else can vote in that category

• 33. MightyAcorn  |  May 8, 2012 at 5:11 pm

I hope you will give them both a hug and a kiss from this straight ally in CA, so they know that not just their kid appreciates their help. :)

• 34. Matt  |  May 8, 2012 at 5:11 pm

The Charlotte Observer's tally thusfar is 55-45 in favor: http://results.enr.clarityelections.com/NC/36596/

• 35. Truth Wins Out - Follow N&hellip  |  May 8, 2012 at 5:12 pm

[…] you’re trying to keep up, check out this website. They’re updating frequently. Tags: Amendment One, North Carllina Comments […]

• 36. Scott Wooledge  |  May 8, 2012 at 5:12 pm

So nice to see you, Cassandra.

• 37. Richard Lyon  |  May 8, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Anybody seen any exit polls?

• 38. Straight Dave  |  May 8, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Crap! I spoke too soon. The OneStop totals are going up, so those votes appear to be getting counted today along with everything else..

• 39. Michael Scott  |  May 8, 2012 at 5:14 pm

"One-stop Absentee Voting or Early Voting allows any registered voter to cast an absentee ballot in-person on select days prior to Election Day. One-stop voting begins on the third Thursday prior to Election Day and ends on the last Saturday before the election. The location for One-stop Voting is either in the county board of elections office, or an alternative site, if the county board office is not equipped to handle in-person voting. County boards of elections may also designate additional one-stop sites in various other parts of the county."

• 40. Bob  |  May 8, 2012 at 5:14 pm

but they were (put up for a vote) bad things happen,,,, when folks like NOM play politics with tax free dollars,,,, Get religion out of politics,,,, and back inside the church,,,,,,

meanwhile we're here scrambling to fight, stand our ground , and now follow the results,,,,,

• 41. Michael Scott  |  May 8, 2012 at 5:15 pm

It's basically early voting, but in-person rather than by mail.

• 42. Gabriel  |  May 8, 2012 at 5:18 pm

Why do you get upset that people want to win this? You may not believe in things, but some of us have to. A lot of us worked hard. You may not believe in what we did, but we damned well intend to be positive about what we did.

• 43. Michael Scott  |  May 8, 2012 at 5:20 pm

I am going to spend a week with them over Labor Day. I will definitely do that for you, MightyAcorn. Thanks. I don't think we could ever have come this far without our straight brothers and sisters :)

• 44. Str8Grandmother  |  May 8, 2012 at 5:21 pm

You have GREAT parents, it warms my heart. I wish all of them were like your parents. All those poor gay kids raised in those Baptist homes, i shudder to think about it.

• 45. Ben  |  May 8, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Agreed. I was extremely pleased to see my own mother get out there to vote against. And don't worry, guys.. We'll try and put this in legal limbo just like they did with Prop 8. It won't end here if it passes.

• 46. David  |  May 8, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Results by county: http://results.enr.clarityelections.com/NC/36596/

• 47. Jamie  |  May 8, 2012 at 5:24 pm

I would like to have won this as well. It wasn't going to happen. ever. Instead, we wasted tons of money that won't be available now for battles that can be won.

• 48. Robert  |  May 8, 2012 at 5:24 pm

This is an explanation of "One Stop" voting in NC http://www.ncsbe.gov/content.aspx?id=32

• 49. Randall Reynolds  |  May 8, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Jamie is really, REALLY obsessed with gay people.

• 50. Bob  |  May 8, 2012 at 5:26 pm

woot woot Ben,,,,, thank your mother,,,,,, hugs from Canada

• 51. Michael Scott  |  May 8, 2012 at 5:27 pm

It wasn't easy, but they've definitely come a long way, and I am proud of them for it :)

• 52. Str8Grandmother  |  May 8, 2012 at 5:28 pm

That's what I think too.

• 53. Michael Scott  |  May 8, 2012 at 5:28 pm

That's the spirit!

• 54. Michael Scott  |  May 8, 2012 at 5:29 pm

I will! Thanks, Bob!

• 55. Adam Bink  |  May 8, 2012 at 5:29 pm

Results with total % in is useless unless you know where it's from. 12% is reporting and there are zero results from Durham County, our best county, which makes the 12% pretty meaningless. Don't bother and look at specific counties from Scottie.

• 56. Mark M. (Seattle)  |  May 8, 2012 at 5:33 pm

" I don't post as much as I used to, and honestly? It's because I'm sick and damned tired of watching how this site tends to eat its own young.
    Amen sister!!

• 57. Str8Grandmother  |  May 8, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Well anyway I did go look at Orange County which says it is complete and Against the amendment is 35,980 and For the amendment is 9,597 so I will focus on that good news. Even if we don't win everywhere I will celebrate where we do win. I think it is time for a cocktail.

Us= 35,980
    them = 9,597
    I'll drink to that.

• 58. Str8Grandmother  |  May 8, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Orange County is where Chappel Hill Univ is

• 59. Str8Grandmother  |  May 8, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Other good news. A guy who was at the California Hearing to ban ex gay "Reparative Therapy" in California for Minors and also to force those "therapists" to make a big fat warning to adults that ex gay therapy is not likely to work and can harm you, that passed the Committee today.

The guy was there for a different piece of legislation but he tweeted me just now that the billed passed. So hey that is some good news. Hopefully this will put Nicolosi out of business. I will have to check out the NARTH website.

• 60. Richard Lyon  |  May 8, 2012 at 5:47 pm

Maybe they could amend it to make them wear GPS ankle bracelets.

• 61. Bob  |  May 8, 2012 at 5:50 pm

really good news,,,, thanks for that

• 62. Str8Grandmother  |  May 8, 2012 at 5:51 pm

I know your comments get you a lot of attention. But really!

• 63. Str8Grandmother  |  May 8, 2012 at 5:55 pm

Equality CA replied to my Tweet confining passage of anti NARTH the Bill in Committee. Somebody should probably make this a quick hits.

Summary of bill
    "Senate Bill 1172, authored by Senator Ted Lieu, would ban all sexual orientation change efforts with respect to minors, regardless of a parent's willingness or desire to authorize such “treatments.” Senate Bill 1172 would also prohibit therapists from engaging in these practices with adult patients without first disclosing the risks of harm and obtaining the patient's informed consent. Under the law, adult patients must be provided with the following statement prior to consenting to treatment:"

Hey this is REAL Good NEWS!!! No longer in California can parents force their CHILDREN into straight conversion therapy by a Health care Provider. They can try and Pray the Gay Away but they can't get help from Nicolosi any more once this passes the full legislature.

• 64. Christopher in SF  |  May 8, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Hi everyone, been here everyday since day one. I feel like I know you all. I don't get a chance to comment often, but now that I got my iPad…it'll be a lot easier. I have been on pins and needles all day long. I can't help but somehow feel that this will work for us. I really am optimistic and have a good feeling! As they say, it's not overt, tip it's over! :0)

• 65. Str8Grandmother  |  May 8, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Now in newspaper http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/california-politi

• 66. Christopher in SF  |  May 8, 2012 at 5:58 pm

That was its not over til it's over…iPad typing is not the best! :0)

• 67. Christopher in SF  |  May 8, 2012 at 6:00 pm

According to the NC election website it looks like 60 for 39 against….is there a big county on our side that has not reported?

• 68. Michael  |  May 8, 2012 at 6:06 pm

Warm wishes from a straight ally in Virginia (though a Washington native). I'll be disgusted and sad if it passes.

• 69. Steven  |  May 8, 2012 at 6:08 pm

It will be passing..

• 70. Str8Grandmother  |  May 8, 2012 at 6:09 pm

I know what that is like. My kids got me an iPad for Christmas and I do love it but it is a challenge to type on it, what with flipping between screens.

Anyway so glad you are speaking up and participating even if you are iPad challenged.

• 71. Brandon mIller (afton)  |  May 8, 2012 at 6:12 pm

this is crazy the governments job is to protect minoritys not to have crazy wide spread votes where the majority dominates and issue that deals with a group of minority how is this bill even constitutional wtf.

• 72. ChristopherSF  |  May 8, 2012 at 6:12 pm

AP has called it…it's has passed sadly. :0(

• 73. Str8Grandmother  |  May 8, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Remember that God Damned Pastor Punch? The Baptist Pastor who said you should Punch Away the Gay from your FOUR year old children? He is in Fayetteville NC or Cumberland County. partial results are
    68% FOR
    31% AGAINST
    I KNEW he was just preaching what the people wanted to hear. Oh well F*ck 'em.
    Should I back off on the cocktails?

• 74. ChristopherSF  |  May 8, 2012 at 6:15 pm

After tonight, I think I need a cocktail too!

• 75. AnonyGrl  |  May 8, 2012 at 6:20 pm

CRAP.

Well, back into the fray, dear friends!

• 76. PMG  |  May 8, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Hey there… as a Gay man… I'm DONE with this country… do you know what the process is for getting a work visa in Canada? or where I would look?

• 77. Breaking: North Carolina &hellip  |  May 8, 2012 at 6:23 pm

[…] about 1.1 million people so far,” reported Prop 8 Trial Tracker’s Adam Bink. “Total turnout in 2004 primary was 846K. Total turnout in 2008 primary was 2.1 million. […]

• 78. Lauren  |  May 8, 2012 at 6:24 pm

AP has called it but not all counties have reported completely?

• 79. ChristopherSF  |  May 8, 2012 at 6:26 pm

So now CNN, AP and msnbc have called it. I'm assuming the rest of the counties are so small it wouldn't make a difference?

• 80. Truth Wins Out - North Ca&hellip  |  May 8, 2012 at 6:26 pm

[…] Those who live in the intelligent parts of North Carolina voted overwhelmingly against Amendment One, but unfortunately, there just aren’t enough intelligent parts of North Carolina. The AP has called it, stating that Amendment One, which bans all same-gender marriages and domestic partnerships, has passed. […]

• 81. celdd  |  May 8, 2012 at 6:27 pm

Do the churches that preached/told their congregation to vote for have to report their activities as donations in kind for the pro-ammendment side?

• 82. Bob  |  May 8, 2012 at 6:34 pm

check out this site to hear Canadian coming out stories

• 83. Str8Grandmother  |  May 8, 2012 at 6:35 pm

Can the ranting begin now?
    This was THE MOST Religiously based election in the History of GLBT Civil Rights.
    It just makes me sick.
    All those families, little children no longer covered by Health Insurance, Oh Yeah! That makes Jesus Happy :)
    Those Southern Baptists who have their origin in their Pro Slavery stance, they sure did not learn their History Lessons. The term "Blind" Faith is aptly termed. And they follow these revolting preachers who claim to literally Speak for God, that they know God's heart, what a bunch of egomaniacs. H8 the gays and pass around the Collection Plate. It's ALL Religiously based H8red, that is all it is.

• 84. MightyAcorn  |  May 8, 2012 at 6:41 pm

Wasted tons of money? People waste money all the time. If people chose to "waste" their money on a political issue instead a new flat-screen tv, what's it to you? You seem to think it's *your* money. How much have you contributed lately?

I for one contribute, and I support the NC efforts…not because I had high hopes of winning, but because any high-visibility campaign–even one we lose– helps turn the cultural tide. Prop 8 is case in point. You think it's all about winning one vote? It's about getting this issue out in the open and being sure every American is aware of the struggle.

• 85. Gregory in SLC  |  May 8, 2012 at 6:42 pm

CRAP is right! NY had a big loss…before the VERY big win!

• 86. Gregory in SLC  |  May 8, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Like you said (see photo)

• 87. Str8Grandmother  |  May 8, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Gregory, all anybody has to do is read http://www.GoodAsYou.org the whole debacle is cataloged, one H8 sermon after another.

• 88. MightyAcorn  |  May 8, 2012 at 6:51 pm

(….and some people's straight parents…) 😉

• 89. Str8Grandmother  |  May 8, 2012 at 7:03 pm

It is better to have fought and lost than never to have fought at all.
    I'm otta here. 'night all.

• 90. Gregory in SLC  |  May 8, 2012 at 7:06 pm

Feel like I need to take a shower after watching/reading hate mongering of religious types @ the GoodAsYou site…. ::shivers with repulsion:: and they call US sick?!

• 91. Bob  |  May 8, 2012 at 7:10 pm

just watched Rachel Maddow,,,, interesting segment on house speaker holding a prayer service in a political public forum….. interesting she had a baptist preacher who was staunchly oppposed to that act of symbolism,,,,,,

he said the problem is you can no longer tell the difference between preachers and politicians,,,,

the preachers are taking up politics and the politicians are trying to preach,,,

it's a slight against the first amendment and anyone who isn't a christian???

• 92. Bob  |  May 8, 2012 at 7:30 pm

stand your ground,,,,, we stand with you!!!!!!!

• 93. Deeelaaach  |  May 8, 2012 at 7:58 pm

I agree! And I think that if we changed some minds, we did not really lose – we just postponed our (eventual) victory for another day.

• 94. Fluffyskunk  |  May 8, 2012 at 10:59 pm

They didn't listen to her, either. But she was right.

• 95. em_jay  |  May 9, 2012 at 5:45 am

As a North Carolinian who has avidly read this site since the beginning (but never commented before), I just wanted to express heartfelt gratitude for all the solidarity and support.
    Some good news: the Durham County Commission voted unanimously to continue extending domestic partner benefits to county employees.