BREAKING: President Obama endorses marriage equality

Community/Meta Marriage equality

By Jacob Combs and Scottie Thomaston

In an interview with ABC News, President Barack Obama has officially endorsed marriage equality for gay and lesbian Americans.  P8TT will have more on this breaking story as it develops.

ABC News’s Rick Klein has the full article here.  Some choice quotations:

“I have to tell you that over the course of several years as I have talked to friends and family and neighbors when I think about members of my own staff who are in incredibly committed monogamous relationships, same-sex relationships, who are raising kids together, when I think about those soldiers or airmen or marines or sailors who are out there fighting on my behalf and yet feel constrained, even now that Don’t Ask Don’t Tell is gone, because they are not able to commit themselves in a marriage, at a certain point I’ve just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same sex couples should be able to get married.

Obama acknowledged that his decision was influenced by his friends, his daughters, and his wife, Michelle:

“It’s interesting, some of this is also generational.  You know when I go to college campuses, sometimes I talk to college Republicans who think that I have terrible policies on the economy, on foreign policy, but are very clear that when it comes to same sex equality or, you know,  believe in equality. They are much more comfortable with it. You know, Malia and Sasha, they have friends whose parents are same-sex couples. There have been times where Michelle and I have been sitting around the dinner table and we’re talking about their friends and their parents and Malia and Sasha, it wouldn’t dawn on them that somehow their friends’ parents would be treated differently. It doesn’t make sense to them and frankly, that’s the kind of thing that prompts a change in perspective.”

“This is something that, you know, we’ve talked about over the years and she [Michelle], you know, she feels the same way, she feels the same way that I do. And that is that, in the end the values that I care most deeply about and she cares most deeply about is how we treat other people and, you know, I, you know, we are both practicing Christians and obviously this position may be considered to put us at odds with the views of others but, you know, when we think about our faith, the thing at root that we think about is, not only Christ sacrificing himself on our behalf, but it’s also the Golden Rule, you know, treat others the way you would want to be treated. And I think that’s what we try to impart to our kids and that’s what motivates me as president and I figure the most consistent I can be in being true to those precepts, the better I’ll be as a as a dad and a husband and hopefully the better I’ll be as president.”

ABC News: Obama: ‘Same-Sex Marriage Should be Legal

UPDATE 7: The Huffington Post has more on how this decision came about:

The plan had been to announce his position before the Democratic National Convention. But after Vice President Joseph Biden declare his support for marriage equality on Sunday, the issue touched off a political firestorm and the timeframe for Obama’s announcement was expedited.

Those top officials, speaking on condition that they not be named or quoted, said that the president was agitated about Biden’s appearance NBC’s “Meet the Press.” Instead, he decided that he had to make his position known sooner rather than later. The administration had knowledge of Biden’s remarks after he taped his interview last Friday. By Tuesday morning, aides began putting a plan in motion.
[…]
He had been moved, they said, by a fundraising trip he had made to New York shortly after that state legalized gay marriage, during which he thought to himself how he would have voted on the issue as a state legislator. He also marveled at the fact that his daughters, who had friends with gay parents, could never conceive of gay marriage being controversial.

UPDATE 6: In another clip, President Obama associates his new position on marriage equality with his “faith” and references “the golden rule.” He also says First Lady Michelle Obama shares the belief that gay and lesbian couples should be allowed to marry.

UPDATE 5: Mitt Romney responds live on TV: “I believe marriage is a relationship between a man and a woman.”

“States can make decisions on domestic partnerships.”

“This is my position, others may have a different view.”

4:45PM CT Think Progress is now up, agreeing it was a timid response.

UPDATE 4: Shep Smith on Fox News calls out GOP on marriage:

“I am curious whether you believe in this time of rising debt and medical issues and all the rest, if Republicans would go out on a limb and try to make this a campaign issue while sitting very firmly without much question on the wrong side of history,” he asked reporter Ed Henry.

UPDATE 3: An interesting take: Brian Stelter, media reporter for The New York Timesasks why Obama chose ABC.

UPDATE 2: New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, who advocated for marriage equality in New York state last year, reacts:

“No American president has ever supported a major expansion of civil rights that has not ultimately been adopted by the American people – and I have no doubt that this will be no exception.”

“The march of freedom that has sustained our country since the Revolution of 1776 continues, and no matter what setbacks may occur in a given state, freedom will triumph over fear and equality will prevail over exclusion. Today’s announcement is a testament to the President’s convictions, and it builds on the courageous stands that so many Americans have taken over the years on behalf of equal rights for gay and lesbian Americans, stretching all the way back to the Stonewall Inn in Greenwich Village.”

New York Senator Kristen Gillibrand also issued a statement:

“The president’s unequivocal support today in favor of all committed couples to marry the person they love is a watershed moment in American history that will provide the leadership needed to finally repeal DOMA and win the unfinished fight for equality for all Americans.”

UPDATE 1: LGBT groups respond to Obama’s announcement:

Incoming Human Rights Campaign President Chad Griffin

“President Obama’s words today will be celebrated by generations to come. For the millions of young gay and lesbian Americans across this nation, President Obama’s words provide genuine hope that they will be the first generation to grow up with the freedom to fully pursue the American dream. Marriage-the promise of love, companionship, and family-is basic to the pursuit of that dream. Our Constitution’s promise, the promise of liberty, is one that every generation must realize. As President Obama recognized today, the fight to secure marriage equality is the defining element of our generation’s search for greater freedom.”

Current HRC President Joe Solmonese:

“Americans fundamentally believe in fairness, but many, like the President, have struggled to reconcile that core belief and the question of marriage equality. The President’s words will no doubt inspire thousands more conversations around kitchen tables and in church pews. We are confident that our nation will continue to move inexorably toward equality and we thank the President for so boldly leading us in that direction.”

GLAD:

“President Obama has travelled a road that many Americans have travelled in recent years. Gay and lesbian couples have the same love and make the same commitment as all couples, and deserve the same recognition as full citizens. Our country’s history is one of expanding the circle of constitutional rights and protections to include more citizens, and our nation is always the better for it.”

• 1. CHRIS  |  May 9, 2012 at 12:04 pm

See? All you doubters out there? Obama knows how to do things, and he gets results (DADT, Hate Crimes). The born-again, anti-gay buffoons will throw a temper tantrum for a week or two, Mitt Romney will be thrown off message(as if he had one) and then a month from now, the public won't even be thinking about this. And the Republicans will look stupid for bringing it up going into the election. OBAMA ROCKS!

• 2. _BK_  |  May 9, 2012 at 12:07 pm

OH MY GOSH. Finally done "evolving," eh Mr. President? Took you long enough! But thank you so much! I'm just about to pee my pants here… haha. Didn't think this day would come so soon.

• 3. AnonyGrl  |  May 9, 2012 at 12:16 pm

I am crying here at work. Thank you Mr. President! Thank you!

• 4. Alan_Eckert  |  May 9, 2012 at 12:19 pm

This is un-freakin-believable! I just donated =)

• 5. Joaquin Sanchez  |  May 9, 2012 at 12:20 pm

President Obama.. I want to thank you as a Gay man that you support us as equal and that you support Gay Marriage.. I also believe in monoganous relationship and it how I was brought up… Again Thank you Mr. President and keep up the good job…

• 6. fiona64  |  May 9, 2012 at 12:21 pm

You and me both. I always knew it would come at some point. I said just the other day that it had been a long time since I could honestly say that I loved the President of our country, but I do. He is a good, thoughtful man.

• 7. Rick  |  May 9, 2012 at 12:24 pm

To paraphrase Martin Luther King: He's evolved at last. He's evolved at last. Thank God almighty, he's evolved at last.

• 8. Ann_S  |  May 9, 2012 at 12:29 pm

This is a Big Fucking Deal, as Joe Biden might say.

• 9. Richard Lyon  |  May 9, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Hip Hip Hooray!

• 10. Johan  |  May 9, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Wow, this I did not expect. And classy, just after North Carolina. Note that he says 'personally' so don't expect him to campaign for marriage equality politically or publicly, but there he is, his public personality is on our side.

• 11. Gregory in SLC  |  May 9, 2012 at 12:31 pm

HUGS dear ladies!!!! Out of the ashes….

• 12. ĶĭŗîļĺęΧҲΪ  |  May 9, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Evolved already? :)
    It's nice to see things are changing for the better in the US. I wish you all guys to live to that happy moment when same-sex marriage is law of the land. I'm so envious! I doubt I will see the same thing happening in my country of Russia.

• 13. AnonyGrl  |  May 9, 2012 at 12:42 pm

HUGS to you… and we need to get you over HERE with us!!

• 14. nightshayde  |  May 9, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Also now crying at work. I love President Obama.

• 15. ĶĭŗîļĺęΧҲΪ  |  May 9, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Thanks! Hugs help! :)
    I would love to join you guys over there, but USCIS begs to differ.

• 16. AnonyGrl  |  May 9, 2012 at 12:57 pm

I LOVE the timing on this… all the bigots bragging about how they won in NC are COMPLETELY undercut by this one! NICELY done, Mr. Obama!!!

And now Hickenlooper is going to call a special session of the legislature in CO and MAKE them vote on civil unions. And we have the votes to PASS it if that happens!

This is a victory from the jaws of defeat day, folks! We are winning this war!!!!

• 17. Gregory in SLC  |  May 9, 2012 at 12:59 pm

AND F.U. North Carolina and Colorado Bigots! (will make for an interesting Democratic Convention!)

• 18. MJFargo  |  May 9, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Whatever the past with our President on this issue (which I've voiced here before), let's move forward to win. I was numb after yesterday, but this brought tears today.Hooray!!!

• 19. BradK  |  May 9, 2012 at 1:14 pm

The backstory of His evolution explained graphically:

• 20. Chris Lounsbury  |  May 9, 2012 at 1:17 pm

I'll take someone who takes time evolving their position slowly instead of hour-to-hour flip flops like Romney, even if I don't agree with their original position.

• 21. New  |  May 9, 2012 at 1:18 pm

No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.
    Congratulations for evolving Mr. President. Down with DOMA.

• 22. Seth from Maryland  |  May 9, 2012 at 1:19 pm

YES WE CAN , YES WE CAN AND YES WE WILL WIN THIS WAR , GET HERE ALREADY NOVEMBER!!!!

• 23. Johan  |  May 9, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Yes, the timing could not be better. It is at once a brave move as it is a hugely symbolic helping hand for our side at this very moment. Had he done it just before NC everyone would have said the result would be a repudiation of his support. Now, to come out in favor right at the lowest point in our fight for some time, just cannot hurt him that much.

• 24. Michelle Evans  |  May 9, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Cherie and I watched the announcement on the news at noon. We'd heard it was coming for a bit and with all the negative things that happen against LGBT people, all we could think of would be that he doesn't want to upset the applecart and would not fully endorse marriage equality (especially after the huge win for bigotry yesterday).

When the news finally broke, all I can say is that we both stood there absolutely stunned. There was no emotion or anything, just silence. It took maybe a full minute for it to finally register what had just happened. We turned to each other and said, "Did he actually say what we thought he said?" Then we both broke down in tears and hugs. Those tears have not yet stopped, and may never stop until full equality is had by everyone in this country.

And for all those religious bigots who use the bible to say that things like evolution are not real, well, guess what, we just saw evolution in action this afternoon!!

• 25. brad  |  May 9, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Yeah i am Canadian and Obama rocks for sure. However, i, well, well i wasnt crying BUT i was REAL happy!..lol
    I am straight so come on America, catch up!

• 26. brad  |  May 9, 2012 at 1:29 pm

Oh and i do have a gay brother and a gay nephew.

• 27. Sagesse  |  May 9, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Fantastic! Please, please, please everyone work diligently to get this man re-elected. This will not go over well in some quarters.

• 28. AnonyGrl  |  May 9, 2012 at 1:38 pm

And just for giggles…. icing on the cake, as it were…

Washington anti-gay forces need 150,000 signatures to get their vote on. With less than a month to go, they are only slightly over 1/3 of the way there… not so encouraging for them, sadly.

It IS a good day!!

• 29. JoeRH  |  May 9, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Am I the only one nervous about this?… After the result in NC, this has me worried. Despite all the messages from lawyers, politicians, doctors and families themselves stating how harmful amendment 1 is, it was still passed by voters. This suggests that the majority of people may be ok with gay marriage, but VOTERS apparently need to 'evolve' themselves. 6 more months… I hope this doesn't come back to bit him. I would say as long as he has the black and minority race votes he'll be good for getting reelected, but with the notorious homophobia/hypocrisy of the black community, I hope he can still get their vote.

• 30. Gregory in SLC  |  May 9, 2012 at 1:46 pm

How to thank President Obama:

• 31. AnonyGrl  |  May 9, 2012 at 1:47 pm

He wasn't getting the vote of the homophobic black community anyway. So I am not sure that will be such a problem.

I do think that the important thing is that we needed the morale boost today, and this will energize a lot of us for the continued fight.

What it does to the election is another story altogether, but since the younger voters are strongly in our favor, and that is who got him elected in the first place, it is a good issue to stir them up with, frankly. His strongest allies are the disenfranchised, the young, the outsiders… and if he brings them back into the fold and gets them energized, it is only to the good!

• 32. tolajn  |  May 9, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Shifts in a society come slowly, often with many missteps and yet we have a minority president who has reasoned that although being a self-proclaimed Christian, you can not take the whole of scripture literally. Jesus said he would leave us the paraclete (wisdom/Sophia/Holy Spirit) as he knew that humanity was unable to take in all the things needed for us to grow up as a human race at that moment, and so today Obama shared his journey of discovery and it was GOOD.

• 33. celdd  |  May 9, 2012 at 2:00 pm

I've been following this. They have been adding about 5,000 a day. Now it is 68,284 – about halfway. I think they will likely make it unless all the gung-ho church people have already signed, and the signiture rate falls off.

They need 120,000-something but have a goal of 150,000 to allow for disqualified signitures. Hope they fail!

• 34. Jyo  |  May 9, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Hmph. Welcome to the Barn Door Club.

I mean, I’d rather he make this statement than not make it at all, but I can’t find much joy in noting that it took him 16 years to return to the position he originally took back in 1996.

• 35. Bob  |  May 9, 2012 at 2:10 pm

DONE!!!!!! now on with it re-elect this man,,,,,, for God's sake,,,, keep this guy in office,,,,,,,,,,

• 36. grod  |  May 9, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Sagesse. "some quarters" includes the USA Conference of Catholic Bishops.

• 37. Brendt Hess  |  May 9, 2012 at 2:17 pm

President Obama.. I want to thank you as a married straight man that you support the ciitzens of the United States of America, Gay and straight, as equal.

Oh, and a secret for any one who thinks this will weaken marriage: Will it weaken your marriage? It won't weaken mine. I don't know of any marriage that will become weaker because of this. I do know, however, a number of people that will feel joyous at this news.

• 38. ThankYouObama  |  May 9, 2012 at 2:39 pm

EVERY SINGLE PERSON HERE MUST VOTE FOR OBAMA IN 2012. This is the first time I'll be able to vote. Obama is going to lose a lot of his constituencies I'm sure over this issue. We have to make sure that we get everyone we can to vote for Obama ESPECIALLY IN BATTLEGROUND STATES. As much as I am happy for this, and as much as I have suspected Obama's support, THE HARD WORK STARTS NOW. BUT LET'S ENJOY THIS FOR A BIT GUYS! YES!

• 39. ThankYouObama  |  May 9, 2012 at 2:40 pm

THIS IS SUCH A GREAT 18TH BIRTHDAY PRESENT! :)

• 40. ashi  |  May 9, 2012 at 2:44 pm

I've been getting emails from President Obama (his campaign anyway) for a while now, asking for donations. Today I finally did, $75. I hope he gets a lot of donations today! I loved his statement.

• 41. john  |  May 9, 2012 at 2:46 pm

As an old timer from the stonewall days, my days are slowly coming to an end. ThankYouObama, it is with great pride that I pass the equality torch to you and your generation, it has been and will continue to be in good hands!

• 42. Gregory in SLC  |  May 9, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Happy 18th Birthday!

• 43. Mackenzie  |  May 9, 2012 at 2:50 pm

This is fantastic news! Do you have a link I can read up on this?

• 44. Tim in Sonoma  |  May 9, 2012 at 2:53 pm

I was in tears last night with the news of NC as I'm sure were so many who live in NC. This historic news sheds a lot of silver on the lining of a dark cloud!
    NOW get this man re elected! How? I believe we need to get to every high school/college in this country and make sure any student that is eighteen years or older gets registered to vote! We need all the NEW young voters we can get!
    Talk to your kids and put them to work registering their friends!!I work with a lot of young kids in the grocery industry, so I too will get busy! Thank you Mr. Obama! Wake up America!

• 45. Rich  |  May 9, 2012 at 3:06 pm

AnonyGrl, my thoughts exactly: victory from the jaws of defeat….my GSA students, today, were down and bitter….can't wait to celebrate this resurgence in our power, our purpose and our commitment. The kids will be smiling, once again, tomorrow.

• 46. Sammy  |  May 9, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Hey, the governor of Colorado is calling a special session which will include discussion on civil unions! He is trying to get it through still!

• 47. Mark  |  May 9, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Thank you, North Carolina. You were the straw that broke the camel’s back.

• 48. Lodi Gal  |  May 9, 2012 at 3:21 pm

I just donated too. I've been holding back with the checkbook waiting for this. Thank you, Mr. President. I had chills running up and down my spine when I heard this news. Chills.

• 49. Bob  |  May 9, 2012 at 3:23 pm

me too ashi, time to start putting some effort,,, real effort into his campaign

• 50. Michael Scott  |  May 9, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Came across this great interactive graph of gay rights broken down by state. Can you imagine what this will look like once it's completely filled in? :) http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/interactive/2012/

• 51. Bob  |  May 9, 2012 at 3:28 pm

NOW get this man re elected How???????????

we got to do the heavy lifting,,, great ideas Tim,,,,,,, GET OUT THE VOTE

• 52. Bob  |  May 9, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Courage Campaign better show us how we can work to get Obama re-elected,,,, if we can't participate here,,, there could be a lot of migration of energy and dollars, to that effort!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 53. Straight Ally #3008  |  May 9, 2012 at 3:35 pm

What a nice little coda it would be if the CU bill is voted on and passes in Colorado. 😀

• 54. Bob  |  May 9, 2012 at 3:35 pm

"and if he brings them back into the fold and gets them energized, it is only to the good"
    DONE

it's now our job to channel that energy,,,,, GET OUT THE VOTE!!!!!

Obama's done his part,,, it's up to the every American to do theirs,,,,

• 55. Straight Ally #3008  |  May 9, 2012 at 3:36 pm

They shouldn't rejoice too much, since the 2008-2009 figures only showed around 30% support for SSM.

• 56. Straight Ally #3008  |  May 9, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Meanwhile, Maine got twice as many signatures as it needed in their effort to repeal the anti-equality Question 1. That's my bet for the most promising opportunity of the four statewide ballot measures.

• 57. DaveP  |  May 9, 2012 at 3:42 pm

And may I say – thank YOU, John. For being one of the people who got us this far. This statement from Obama would never have happened without all of the work from those who have gone before.

• 58. Straight Ally #3008  |  May 9, 2012 at 3:44 pm

I think you guys will like this. :)

• 59. Robin  |  May 9, 2012 at 3:56 pm

I think this was a wildly foolhardy election strategy. He just lost the swing states. Marriage equality is incredibly effective at mobilizing the Republican base. I remember an article during the Prop 8 campaign about a family with five kids who donated their entire life savings of $50,000 to the Yes on 8 campaign. They literally decided that preventing gay people from getting married was more important than their kids' future college educations or their own retirement savings. Never underestimate the lengths people will go to to stop marriage equality.

• 60. rainbowromances  |  May 9, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Love it! Tears of laughter mingling with tears of joy.

• 61. Gregory in SLC  |  May 9, 2012 at 5:51 pm

From RuPaul: "BARACK, SHANTAY YOU STAY!"

• 62. Reformed  |  May 9, 2012 at 6:25 pm

How does one verify such a claim? And cool that, if true. Not so much to spend this time around. But it rings about as true as Jan Crouch claiming not to have any personal assets, so i've heard. I so wish I lived in a swing state. Oh, and one more thing, if republicans win in November . . That's a sobering thought with the fair minded liberal nearing possible retirement.

• 63. Reformed  |  May 9, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Supreme court judges, that is.

• 64. EricKoszyk  |  May 9, 2012 at 6:35 pm

I'm sure that this has been planned for some time. (And polled in a lot of swing states.)

It's no coincidence that Biden and Arne "came out" for this the weekend before the looming disaster in NC, where the people of NC, in their infinite wisdom, voted to enshrine constitutional bans on, not only gay marriage, but also civil unions AND domestic partnernerships, INCLUDING those for straight couples.

Guess what? According to Wikipedia, "228,000 North Carolina couples in domestic partnerships and 12 percent of those were same-sex couples."

OOPS!

I betcha there is going to be a lot of pissed off people when they discover that their domestic partnerships are no longer valid.

The positions of Obama and Romney are now starkly different:

Obama's position is clear — he's personally for marriage equality but believes that it should be left up to individual states. (States Rights!)

Romney's position is confused — he says that he supports "hospital visitation rights and the like" but not "civil unions, if they're identical to marriage other than by name." Huh? WTF!

Romney also is against state's rights because he wants a constitutional amendment banning same sex marriage. He would overrule the states of MA, IA, NH, VT, NY, DC, CT and, possibly, WA, ME and MD.

Later in the year, I wouldn't be surprised if the Obama campaign hammers Romney on this fact. (It could especially help Obama in "Live Free or Die" NH).

So now, Obama looks like a leader who makes strong decisions regardless of the political consequences.

Meanwhile, Romney takes a position which most Americans disagree with, plus he cannot verbalize coherently what his position actually is.

Romney's campaign again shows it is not ready for prime time.

I think this was a brilliantly executed trap.

[youtube dddAi8FF3F4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dddAi8FF3F4 youtube]

• 65. Rich  |  May 9, 2012 at 6:50 pm

Straight Ally, have you not read, listened or explored the most recent polls on National acceptance of marriage equality? Just today, 50 percent support…42 percent opposed. This is 2012. A lot has happened in three years.

• 66. nightshayde  |  May 9, 2012 at 6:55 pm

I believe part of the problem in North Carolina was that only about a third of eligible voters actually got out and voted. Unfortunately, the group that DID vote may have had a disproportionately large percentage of anti-equality folks (not surprising with all the religion-based fear-mongering). We may have general public opinion on our sides — but if people can't or won't make it to the ballot box, it doesn't help.

I can't believe they had a constitutional amendment on their presidential primary ballot. Things as important as constitutional amendments should be done in conjunction with major national elections (and shouldn't involve issues regarding civil rights, which really should never be put up for a public vote at all).

• 67. Straight Dave  |  May 9, 2012 at 7:16 pm

This is so delicious.
    Hot on the heels of the Richard Grenell fiasco where Romney just demonstrated that he will cave to the right wing on something as simple as hiring a well-qualified, strongly-conservative, openly gay man, and then throw him under the bus. He is now trapped into taking the most extreme position possible on SSM or they'll cut his heart out. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michelangelo-signor

Obama's move was as perfectly timed, well-rehearsed, and surgically executed as the SEAL assault on bin Laden. I look forward to 6 more months of this Man vs Boy.
    {{rubs hands}}

• 68. ThankYouObama  |  May 9, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Thank you! Now we move onto prioritizing our foci (my personal ideas)

1. Obama Re-Election
    2. Winning in Maine
    3. Winning in Maryland
    4. Winning in Washington
    5. Defeating the Amendment in Minnesota
    6. Voting for Pro-Respect for Marriage Act Legislators in Congress
    7. Standard Marriage Equality Work

• 69. ThankYouObama  |  May 9, 2012 at 9:06 pm

And Prop 8 Of Course! I say that's number 5.

• 70. Robin  |  May 9, 2012 at 9:22 pm

http://www.sltrib.com/faith/ci_10798324 http://ldsfocuschrist2.wordpress.com/2008/10/13/2

The link to the original article is broken, but the second link reproduces the article as I remember it from 2008. Yes, this particular family presumably has much less to donate this time around. But I find it illustrative of the "whatever it takes" attitude of a lot of homophobes.

• 71. Straight Ally #3008  |  May 9, 2012 at 10:51 pm

I mean North Carolina went from 30% support to 39% support (give or take, since this bill was about marriage *and* civil unions, although about half the people didn't realize what they were voting on). NOM et al. shouldn't be so happy that in a few years their lead shrunk by around 10 percentage points, is all.

• 72. MJFargo  |  May 10, 2012 at 6:12 am

And our Vice President needs lots of praise for his role in this.

• 73. Prop 8 Trial Tracker &raq&hellip  |  May 10, 2012 at 8:00 am

[…] BREAKING: President Obama endorses marriage equality […]

• 74. fiona64  |  May 10, 2012 at 8:53 am

That couple was *directed* by the Mormon church to give that money. (I remember the article too). That's part of how the LDS' involvement in Prop 8 was exposed.

• 75. Prop 8 Trial Tracker &raq&hellip  |  May 10, 2012 at 9:37 am

[…] BREAKING: President Obama endorses marriage equality […]

• 76. Senator Jack Reed (D-R.I.&hellip  |  May 10, 2012 at 2:45 pm

[…] the big news is that the president has announced that he believes gay and lesbian couples should be allowed to get married. This has set things in […]

• 77. Glen  |  May 10, 2012 at 7:28 pm

How exactly is Romney NOW going to stand behind his pledge to the National Organization for (defined by genitals) Marriage to push to Amend the U.S. Constitution, of all things, to deny gay couples the right to marry, even in States that have already enacted marriage equality.

Those who have the opportunity to do so, need to hammer Romney on this one. With the revelations of how heartless he could be as a school-boy, it will only hammer home the point if he is forced to stick behind his pledge to strip gay couples (and the children they raise) from the right to marriage EVERYWHERE in the nation.

He's toast.

• 78. _BK_  |  May 10, 2012 at 8:57 pm

I've been following that site, too. They're right at the halfway mark now with 75,000 signatures. Yes, that is only halfway, but they have been steadily increasing the number of signatures they've been adding each day. Still crossing my fingers though! Less than a month left.

• 79. ali  |  November 14, 2012 at 10:09 am

Dear friend, that this letter singing hello., I Ali 18 years old from Iran. Recently got interested in the opposite sex Ndarmvahsas’m a Hmjnsgram. Career doing photography for a few months is a family of sex I love being informed. Severely tortured The body was put Vrvh Bradram. forced me to take up the shock therapy., if the result does not say that shock therapy is possible with the permission of the Judiciary Jnsytmv body changes. now also got a call with you to help Madrmh. opportunity to do further explanation. asked of you is to help me get out of Iran. Please help me. These last came to me that way. Though you did not answer the last suicide. Hopefully manage to sing our site requests Vamydvarm be answered.
    I can not speak English., I speak Farsi., If possible please answer it in Farsi., I have a strong interest in men above 40 years. Whether someone wants to marry me and make me out of Iran?
    Please help me.
    دوست عزیزی که این نامه رو میخونی سلام.من علی18ساله از ایران.تازگی ها متوجه شدم تمایلی به جنس مخالف ندارمواحساس میکنم یه همجنسگرام.کار عکاسی میکنم به چند ماهی میشه که خانوادم از رابطه ی جنسی من با دوستم مطلع شدن.به شدت مورد شکنجه ی جسمی وروحی برادرام قرار گرفتم.به زور مجبورم کردن تا تحت شوک درمانی قرار بگیرم .اگر در نهایت بگم که شوک درمانی نتیجه ای نداشته امکان داره با اجازه ی قوه ی قضائیه جنسیتمو تغییر بدن.الان هم که موفق شدم باشما تماس بگیرم به کمک مادرمه.فرصتی برای توضیح بیشتر ندارم.درخواستم از شما اینه که کمکم کنید از ایران خارج بشم. نجاتم بدید.این آخرین راهی بود که به نظرم رسید.اگر شما جواب ندید آخرین راه خودکشیه.امیدوارم مدیریت محترم سایت این درخواست رو بخونن وامیدوارم پاسخی داده بشه.
    من نمیتونم انگلیسی صحبت کنم.من فارسی صحبت میکنم.اگه امکان داره به فارسی پاسخ بدید.من به مردای 40 ساله به بالا علاقه ی شدیدی دارم.آیا کسی هست که با من ازدواج کنه و منو از ایران خارج کنه؟؟
    خواهش میکنم کمکم کنید.

• 80. Equality On Trial »&hellip  |  February 14, 2013 at 9:08 am

[…] course, the president did announce his support for marriage equality before the election, in May 2012.  That meant an ENDA executive order was […]

• 81. Equality On Trial »&hellip  |  May 9, 2013 at 8:43 am

[…] one year ago today, President Barack Obama sat down in an interview with Robin Roberts of ABC News and said, “I’ve just concluded that for me personally it is […]

• 82. Jacob Combs: Bending Towa&hellip  |  May 9, 2013 at 2:01 pm

[…] one year ago today, President Barack Obama sat down in an interview with Robin Roberts of ABC News and said, “I’ve just concluded that for me personally it […]

• 83. Bending Toward Justice: A&hellip  |  May 10, 2013 at 4:09 am

• 84. shock therapy  |  January 11, 2014 at 1:12 am

That's great, I like Obama's decision.

• 85. Larry  |  March 19, 2014 at 11:35 am

@ Erick, I was not able to get the video to play.