Some reports say Nevada judge hearing arguments in marriage equality case today

Marriage equality Marriage Equality Trials Sevcik v Sandoval

By Jacob Combs

Update 1 Scottie Thomaston: I spoke with Tara Borelli at Lambda Legal, lead counsel for the plaintiffs in Sevcik. She told me that these reports are based on old information – the original scheduling order. As we reported on September 19, however, the federal judge canceled that order and oral arguments will not be held. The judge plans to rule based on the parties’ filings.

According to On Top Magazine and KTVN Reno 2 News, a Nevada district court judge is hearing hearing oral arguments today in the marriage equality case Sevcik v. Sandoval, which challenges the state’s decision to offer its same-sex couples domestic partnerships but not full marriage rights.  These reports contradict an order by the judge from September, canceling the oral argument that he had indeed been planning for today and expressing his intent instead to issue a written order without oral arguments.

We’ll keep looking for more information about these reports–the On Top piece cites an AP article but does not link to it, and I was unable to find any such article.  I believe the two organizations are reporting based on the previous timetable we’ve seen in the case.  Nevertheless, if you read today that there’s a marriage equality hearing happening in Nevada and are confused by that (as I was), it seems unlikely at this point that these reports are correct.

Check back here later for more information!

• 1. Gregory in SLC  |  November 26, 2012 at 8:13 am

would appreciate any NV updates!

• 2. Scottie Thomaston  |  November 26, 2012 at 8:16 am

I contacted Lambda Legal. Will definitely update when I hear back!

• 3. Scottie Thomaston  |  November 26, 2012 at 9:14 am

Oral argument is still canceled. The reports are based on the old scheduling order.

• 4. Mark  |  November 26, 2012 at 9:32 am

As three states voted in favor of marriage equality, and one rejected a marriage amendment, and if the Supreme Court refuses to hear the Prop 8 case, these factors may sway the ruling in Nevada.

• 5. Bob  |  November 26, 2012 at 9:46 am

getting close to date of decision on prop8,,,, and I'm wondering why I didn't receive the last two updates re the thanksgiving cartoon and the Nevada news,,,,,, how do I check,,, that my status hasn't changed?????? cause I sure want to here what the Supremes decide to do with prop8 it's been a long time,,,,,,,

• 6. Scottie Thomaston  |  November 26, 2012 at 9:47 am

The judge seemed extremely skeptical at the initial hearing, so it seems bad for our side. But we'll see. Either way it goes to the Ninth Circuit next. They are at least more inclined to take pro-marriage equality arguments seriously.

• 7. Steve  |  November 26, 2012 at 10:41 am

He is a Mormon with a BYU degree. "God's law" is all that counts for him

• 8. Lora  |  November 26, 2012 at 11:06 am

Hmmmm…shouldn't he recuse himself??? Just like they thought Walker should have! How fair is that??? (using their logic)

• 9. grod  |  November 26, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Bob, given that you have been 'here' since the beginning, and given that you have consistently favoured the court route as the better one, have faith that your friends here will not abandon you ….. G.

• 10. Prop 8 Trial Tracker &raq&hellip  |  December 18, 2012 at 4:50 pm

[…] erroneous reporting, there is no oral argument today in Sevcik v. Sandoval, Lambda Legal’s equal protection challenge to Nevada’s […]