Equality news round-up: Alabama news, and more

LGBT Legal Cases Marriage equality Marriage Equality Trials

– One of the upcoming Supreme Court conferences will include, among other cases, a petition involving ProtectMarriage.com and a First Amendment challenge to California’s campaign finance disclosure laws.

– In Strawser v. Strange, the Alabama marriage case that’s being litigated by the National Center for Lesbian Rights (NCLR), the Eleventh Circuit set, then rescinded, the briefing schedule in the case.

– Lambda Legal filed an amicus brief in King v. Burwell, the Supreme Court challenge to Obamacare’s subsidies. The brief argues that the case will have a huge impact on HIV/AIDS.

– A bakery in Oregon that discriminated against a same-sex couple and violated the state’s anti-discrimination laws will have to pay up to $150,000 to the couple.

Thanks to Equality Case Files for these filings

• 1. guitaristbl  |  February 3, 2015 at 8:27 am

I do wonder if any decision in King v. Burwell this term will overshadow any decision on the marriage cases. And I also wonder which of the two will the court announce last..! I would not expect them on the same day personally…Too much of a shock all over America. On one hand they may decide to gut Obamacare to appease conservatives and rule for the freedom to marry to appease liberals supposedly (although support for ME is a simple issue of constitutional knowledge), to keep the balances.

• 2. Tony MinasTirith  |  February 3, 2015 at 8:43 am

Perhaps for the reasons you state above, they'll hold King v. Burwell over to the next October Term.

• 3. guitaristbl  |  February 3, 2015 at 8:46 am

That's quite rare I think. And if it happens what tells us they won't hold the marriage cases ?

• 4. Tony MinasTirith  |  February 3, 2015 at 9:07 am

They've already accepted the marriage cases and have set briefing schedules. There is no reason to believe that they'll put the ME cases off now.. that I know of. Rare or not, it's a possibility for them to holdover the King case.

If they do decide the King case this term it will be interesting to see which of the two cases garners the bulk of the media attention. I think once the ME cases are won by our side, the Media will forget about it in a week. The ultra conservatives will be making a lot of noise (Huckleberry, Ted Cruz, Tea Party conservatives, NOM the Catholic Bishiops) etc, but the rest of the America will just go, oh…ok, it's settled law and move on. There will be no massive protests in the street or National Guard and state police called in to control rioting.

• 5. guitaristbl  |  February 3, 2015 at 9:13 am

Ehm..Actually they accepted King before the marriage cases and will hear it earlier, at the end of February to be more accurate. They will most definately decide it this term I believe..

• 6. Tony MinasTirith  |  February 3, 2015 at 9:26 am

I don't really follow the King case, but now I will. Thanks. It will be interesting to see how the two decisions play out in the media and among the politicians and upcoming presidential candidates. Since gutting the Affordable Care Act would directly affect many more constituents and states, I would think that decision would be a longer lasting topic in the daily news. That would cause chaos where ME will just get a few skunks mad. I'd bet that the ME cases would be the last decision announced by the court…but I may be wrong.

• 7. Raga  |  February 3, 2015 at 9:33 am

Looking back to the 2013 Roberts Court, they gutted voting rights and a day later, Windsor and Hollingsworth came out, almost completely overshadowing the previous day's disastrous decision. Similarly, I believe that if we do win this June, it'll be at the expense of Obamacare. The rulings could come down on the last two days of the term.

• 8. guitaristbl  |  February 3, 2015 at 9:44 am

I can't see Roberts saving Obamacare this time around either I am afraid…I would hate to think that justices would act in such a manner, but I can't stop thinking that Roberts and Kennedy may come to an agreement concerning these two cases : Roberts giving a 5th vote to strike down the regulations and subsidies in King in exchange of asking Kennedy for a 5th vote to uphold bans..Disastrous and too much of a conspiracy theory but hey, I have seen everything thus far..

• 9. Raga  |  February 3, 2015 at 11:22 am

This article explains it nicely. I fully agree: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/01/magazine/marria

Roberts is the most diabolical incrementalist the Court has seen in recent years.

• 10. RnL2008  |  February 3, 2015 at 1:46 pm

Interesting article, but I do agree with your comment regarding Roberts……seems he wants to play both ends against the middle and if he's counting on a Republican winning the White House in 2016 and it DOESN'T happen……he's going to have egg all over his face…..but that's just my take on the man, who I feel is harming this Country far more than whether Gays and Lesbians should have the right to marry!!

He gave the Koch Brothers a blank check to alter the election process to a certain degree!!!

• 11. edwardmuphy  |  February 18, 2015 at 8:50 pm

You are absolutely right. I have also read on a website named as BBC News http://bbcnewsplanet.com/ in detail. Anyhow, thanks for the great effort that you have made for us.