Equality news round up: A look back at the decision to move forward on marriage, and more

Conversion therapy cases LGBT Legal Cases Marriage equality Marriage Equality Trials Transgender Rights

njBuzzfeed reports on the 2005 decision of some LGBT groups to move forward on marriage equality.

– The trial against JONAH, an anti-LGBT group that performs so-called “conversion therapy”, is still going on in New Jersey. Equality Case Files has posted more information and transcripts.

– Some transgender military servicemembers will attend the White House pride reception.

• 1. davepCA  |  June 23, 2015 at 9:41 am

Just so I get this in at the top of the comments – when the decision is announced, it's likely there will be a rally organized to meet at Castro and Market in SF for some time around 5 or 6 PM. I'd like to propose that any EoTers interested in meeting face to face meet ONE HOUR prior to the announced start time for the rally, a block and a half away at Castro Tarts, 564 Castro Street. It's a small pastry & sandwich spot that's two minutes walk from the rally but far enough away that we won't be trying to find each other in a giant crowd. I'll post more follow up stuff once we get the announcement. See ya there!

• 2. JayJonson  |  June 23, 2015 at 9:51 am

I wish I could join you all there. What a wonderful journey we have been on. I hope we arrive safely at our longed-for destination: a country where equal rights under the law is a reality rather than a soundbite or slogan.

• 3. Rik_SD  |  June 23, 2015 at 9:52 am

anyone in San Diego?

• 4. davepCA  |  June 23, 2015 at 10:40 am

I do remember that San Diego's anti-Prop 8 rally after the 2008 election was absolutely immense – far larger than the rallies in either Los Angeles or San Francisco. Well done, San Diego! I would hope there will be some sort of large event for this week's news.

• 5. RemC  |  June 23, 2015 at 11:25 am

I'm with Jay—I envy those of you who can get together. Take pictures!

• 6. Rik_SD  |  June 23, 2015 at 12:49 pm

There will definitely be a rally at the rainbow flag in Hillcrest, and I will definitely be there if anyone wants to join. The one after Windsor was amazing… felt like the entire city coming to support our community. Definitely brought me to tears! Hope it will be the same this year

• 7. Randolph_Finder  |  June 23, 2015 at 12:52 pm

Does anyone know what limits, if any, there are on military service for people who have undergone Sex reassignment surgery and are taking Hormones?

I could imagine, for example, that the Air Force/Navy could rule that the effects on the abdominal wall in reassignment surgery might reduce the ability to survive high G-Force turns and thus not allow someone who has gone through surgery to become a fighter pilot.

• 8. Aaron  |  June 23, 2015 at 1:25 pm

I'm in. I'll be there

• 9. davepCA  |  June 23, 2015 at 1:30 pm

Do you mean in SF? Or San Diego? If you're in SF, I"ll be the guy at Castro Tarts wearing a white T-shirt with a picture of Harvey Milk on it.

• 10. Aaron  |  June 23, 2015 at 1:52 pm

SF. I'll look for you

• 11. davepCA  |  June 23, 2015 at 2:25 pm

Great! See you there!

• 12. RnL2008  |  June 23, 2015 at 2:40 pm

Hey Dave, make sure you send me the pics……would love to be there this weekend, but have more pressing issues at hand.

• 13. davepCA  |  June 23, 2015 at 2:49 pm

Aw crud! I was really hoping we'd be able to meet : /

If I remember to take pictures (I have a tendency to get caught up in the event and forget to do that) I'll post them on my Flickr page & put a link here.

• 14. RnL2008  |  June 23, 2015 at 2:59 pm

I'd love to meet you folks that I have gained a good relationship with…….unfortunately, I have girls working on their Bronze Award and I'm getting ready for knee replacement surgery…….but my e-mail address is in my profile and I'd love to chat with you…..send me an e-mail and I'll send ya my phone number……..maybe we can get together real soon.

• 15. VIRick  |  June 23, 2015 at 3:33 pm

Thessaloniki Does Pride the Greek Way

• 16. jpmassar  |  June 23, 2015 at 3:38 pm

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — A judge has relieved California's attorney general of the duty to process a proposed ballot initiative that advocated killing anyone who engages in gay sex.

Sacramento County Superior Court Judge Raymond Cadei ruled late Monday that the so-called Sodomite Suppression Act was patently unconstitutional.

Cadei said it would be "inappropriate, waste public resources, generate unnecessary divisions among the public, and tend to mislead the electorate" for Attorney General Kamala Harris to clear the measure for signature-gathering.

Harris had asked for a judge's permission in March to reject the initiative through a legal complaint against its sponsor, Orange County lawyer Matthew McLaughlin. After McLaughlin did not attempt to defend the measure in court, the attorney general last week sought a default ruling in her favor, a request Cadei granted.

"This proposed act is the product of bigotry, seeks to promote violence, is patently unconstitutional and has no place in a civil society. I applaud the court's decision to block its title and summary," Harris said in a statement.

McLaughlin did not immediately reply to a telephone call seeking comment on Tuesday. He has not commented publicly on his motivations for pursuing the initiative since he paid $200 to submit it for processing.

The initiative sought to amend the California penal code to make sex with a person of the same gender an offense punishable by "bullets to the head or by any other convenient method." It also would have made the distribution of gay "propaganda" punishable by a $1 million fine or banishment from the state.

Harris has said that if a judge did not block the measure, she would have had no choice but to give McLaughlin the go-ahead to seek the nearly 366,000 votes needed to qualify the measure for the November 2016 ballot.

• 17. guitaristbl  |  June 23, 2015 at 3:40 pm

Yeah for my city (or close to it to be more exact) ! :)
    Pride in Thessaloniki is relatively new, I think that was the 4th time, and still faces virulent opposition from the christian orthodox leader here who bashed gay people every year before it and calls an anti demonstration every year the night before. This year's was the most succesful pride yet in Thessaloniki though despite his moaning.
    The mayor is extremely gay friendly, he has defended pride again and again in the most determined way and says he is perfectly fine with presiding over the marriage ceremony of a same sex couples if and when it becomes legal. He is a great guy all around.

• 18. RnL2008  |  June 23, 2015 at 4:06 pm

The Sodomite Suppression Act that an anti-gay attorney tried to get on the ballot is dead: http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/davidbad

Seems I'm late to the party again……lol!!!

• 19. A_Jayne  |  June 23, 2015 at 4:08 pm

Thank you for this great news! McLaughlin was trying to game the system, and the system stopped him. Hope CA legislators address this with a change to the law that will not allow something like this in the future – and I don't think an increase in price is the answer – I don't know what is, but there must be one…

• 20. A_Jayne  |  June 23, 2015 at 4:13 pm

It's definitely worth repeating!

• 21. Fortguy  |  June 23, 2015 at 4:17 pm

It always was about animus towards gays. But of course.

• 22. RnL2008  |  June 23, 2015 at 4:21 pm

I agree and the legislators will be working on either changing the initiative process or at least change the fee that is required……frankly, these types of initiatives should NEVER be allowed in the first place as we all know that it is UNCONSTITUTIONAL and is being done purely because of ANIMUS towards us.

• 23. davepCA  |  June 23, 2015 at 4:25 pm

Emailed you.

• 24. davepCA  |  June 23, 2015 at 4:28 pm

opps, that email I sent just bounced. Is the first character in the address a capital "I" like in 'ice' or a lower case "L" ?

• 25. RnL2008  |  June 23, 2015 at 4:35 pm

L as in the first initial of my wife's name:-)

• 26. davepCA  |  June 23, 2015 at 4:40 pm

Trying again……..

• 27. SPQRobin  |  June 23, 2015 at 5:15 pm

As someone used to (European) civil law rather than common law, such a ruling seems a bit unusual to me. It seems as if US judges can almost do "whatever they want". I would expect that acts can only be struck down *after* they are passed. I know this initiative is extremely ridiculous, but do judges have the power to prevent initiatives? Does this happen more often? Do judges specifically have the authority to do so, or is this just part of their general discretionary authority?

Many of you know a lot about legal matters, so it'd be great if someone could answer that for me :)

• 28. A_Jayne  |  June 23, 2015 at 5:20 pm

Apparently, the attorney who filed the petition initiative didn't show up in court (either personally or by filing a brief) to defend it against the attack by the Calif AG. Legally, with no dissenting opinion presented, what the AG said in court and in briefs filed is then accepted by the court as truth. (As if the court needed any proof of unconstitutionality or animus…)

• 29. RnL2008  |  June 23, 2015 at 5:25 pm

Got it and replied, with pictures so ya can see what I look like, though I am a bit older now then 7 years ago……lol:-)

• 30. davepCA  |  June 23, 2015 at 6:12 pm

Hey I just realized which "Aaron" this is. Hi Aaron! Great to see you here!

• 31. Waxr  |  June 24, 2015 at 1:40 am

It is unusual. Normally courts avoid making a decision when there may be no need to. If the ballot measure does not pass, there would be no need to rule on it. In this case, the measure would never have gotten the required number of signatures to qualify for the ballot.. So why rule on it?

As reasonable as the judge's decision was, I can foresee a backlash from LGBT opponents claiming that a California A.G. refused to do his job.

• 32. Waxr  |  June 24, 2015 at 1:48 am

The required fee is minor. The expense is in gathering the signatures needed to qualify for the ballot. This measure would never have qualified..

• 33. RnL2008  |  June 24, 2015 at 1:58 am

Well, the problem is that it might have qualified for the ballot……but then the State would have had lawsuits against it and it was already unconstitutional……and frankly the initiative process in my opinion is NOT working correctly when it has caused a state to change it's Constitutional over 500 times in a 150 years.

• 34. jcmeiners  |  June 24, 2015 at 4:39 am

In some way I wish he that had been able to circulate the petition. The signatures are public record, and we would have been able to obtain a handy list of those in CA who wish to kill us.

• 35. RnL2008  |  June 24, 2015 at 5:27 am

Well, that would have been handy, but I think we have ideas about the idiots who wish us dead or who'd like to harm us.

• 36. seannynj  |  June 24, 2015 at 5:59 am

A small part of me wanted to see this reach the signature gathering phase only to hear what great fake names that signers would come up with. :-) But seriously though, the people of CA should sue McLaughlin for wasting their tax dollars on this unconstitutional b.s.

• 37. SethInMaryland  |  June 24, 2015 at 7:46 am

Couples challenge Northern Ireland's same-sex marriage ban in court : http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/jun/24/no

the hearing is this Friday before the high court

• 38. brandall  |  June 24, 2015 at 8:14 am

We will meet you at 4pm at Castro Tarts! And to Rose….I always have a camera in my hand and will take lots of pictures!

• 39. Steve27516  |  June 24, 2015 at 8:32 am

How I wish I could meet my West-Coast EoT friends in person!

Let me take this opportunity to say to everyone in EoT land how grateful I am for this site and the community it has created. What an incredible education EoT has given me during this process. Thank you to Scottie and the whole team.

I realize the work isn't over yet; nevertheless, we are about to arrive at a destination that was only a fantasy a few short years ago. As an adolescent in the 1970s, I never would have believed that this week would arrive.

EoT friends, it has been an honor and a pleasure to enjoy your company over the most-recent years of this journey.

Celebrate!

For those in the Triangle area here in North Carolina, the Decision Day meeting will be at 6pm at Motorco in Durham, sponsored by Equality NC, ACLU of NC, LGBT Center of Raleigh, LGBTQ Center of Durham, and the Human Rights Campaign.

• 40. davepCA  |  June 24, 2015 at 9:38 am

Excellent! See you there!