Interview: Same Sex Sunday with Arisha, Rick Jacobs and myself about the NOM Tour Tracker

Community/Meta NOM Exposed NOM Tour Tracker

We’ve been remiss about mentioning this here at P8TT, but today’s a good a day as any. Late last month I sat down (virtually speaking) along with Arisha and Rick for an interview on a great new podcast called Same Sex Sunday, which is run by Phil Reese and Joe Mirabella, two independent LGBT activists and colleagues. Phil and Joe wanted to talk about the NOM summer tour, what came out of it, how the Prop 8 Trial Tracker came about and where it’s going, and what the future holds for groups like NOM.

It’s a fun segment and I especially want to note that the first thing that came to my mind with the first question (on what the tour was and some surprises I experienced) was you (yes, you). I said that I came onboard in late July and the first thing that struck me was how vibrant this community is (which I wrote about here on the topic of why I joined the summer tour). I still am amazed, and it’s what excites me about writing here daily. So here’s to you all!

Anyway, I thought you’d all be interested. You can listen by heading to their site’s interview page here and clicking the play button on the widget. The segment starts at about the 4:25 minute mark.

And be sure to check out Same Sex Sunday‘s other interviews- they have great segments with leading LGBT/allied observers and newsmakers.

• 1. Lesbians Love Boies  |  October 6, 2010 at 9:31 am

t.A.T.u.?

• 6. Alan E.  |  October 6, 2010 at 9:35 am

me too

• 7. JonT  |  October 6, 2010 at 11:32 am

Bring it on.

• 8. Alan E.  |  October 6, 2010 at 9:36 am

Also, it's always about me =p

• 9. Sagesse  |  October 6, 2010 at 9:51 am

What the heck… more mail please.

• 10. Ronnie  |  October 6, 2010 at 10:11 am

Although its not your title for the podcast….Awesome Alliteration Adam….I love literary lingo… super systematically subscribing to this post …. ; )

<3…Ronnie

• 11. adambink  |  October 6, 2010 at 11:44 am

Right? Fun name for a podcast.

• 12. Lesbians Love Boies  |  October 6, 2010 at 10:28 am

OT – For everyone on Facebook, here is a video on how to remove your phone number from public display. Also, if you have synced your cell phone with facebook it may have added all of your stored phone numbers to that list. The video shows you how to remove those.

• 13. Susan R Barnes  |  October 6, 2010 at 10:31 am

I just came across this on Think Progress: http://thinkprogress.org/2010/10/06/gop-pastor-no

NOM strikes again!

• 14. Joel  |  October 6, 2010 at 10:48 am

OT, but I'm curious as to whether the transcripts of the arguments offered to the Supreme Court today in the Westboro Church case are available for viewing?

• 15. Kathleen  |  October 6, 2010 at 12:02 pm

Here, Joel. It's Snyder v. Phelps http://www.supremecourt.gov/oral_arguments/argume

• 16. bluprntguy  |  October 6, 2010 at 12:09 pm

It's available here: http://www.supremecourt.gov/oral_arguments/argume

• 17. Joel  |  October 6, 2010 at 12:17 pm

Thank you both, very much!

• 18. Elizabeth Oakes  |  October 6, 2010 at 1:45 pm

It's too bad they made that rule about not releasing audio on the same day. I'd love to hear Margie Phelps fumbling the opening pitch thrown at her head by Justice Kagan.

• 19. Kathleen  |  October 6, 2010 at 2:04 pm

At least in the transcript, she came across as able to better respond than Snyder's lawyer. I was amused by her frequent interjection of "a small church in Kansas…. the Lord…. God…" LOL I really want to hear the tape!

• 20. Kathleen  |  October 6, 2010 at 2:05 pm

Oops. Split infinitive. Hope the grammar police are feeling merciful today.

• 21. Ann S.  |  October 6, 2010 at 2:11 pm

The grammar police want to take this opportunity to boldly declare that there is no rule in English against splitting infinitives.

• 22. Kathleen  |  October 6, 2010 at 2:13 pm

🙂

• 23. Elizabeth Oakes  |  October 6, 2010 at 2:16 pm

According the coverage I saw, Margie was taken aback by Kagan's question about whether it's okay to follow around a wounded war vet and hurl epithets at him.

• 24. Elizabeth Oakes  |  October 6, 2010 at 2:17 pm

And then Scalia jumped all over her "unprotected" Topeka behind, lol.

• 25. Kathleen  |  October 6, 2010 at 2:18 pm

Of course it's impossible to get that from the transcript. But just int terms of responding to questions, I think she did better than opposing counsel. The justices were really tough on her and she did remarkably well.

• 26. Elizabeth Oakes  |  October 6, 2010 at 2:22 pm

Do you agree with some of the analysis that figures they'll leave the First Amendment untouched but make targeted speech a civil tort? That might be a good compromise, though it leaves the 2/3s of the nation that can't afford legal action SOL…as usual.

• 27. Ronnie  |  October 6, 2010 at 11:15 am

Jake Shears from The Scissor Sisters says "It Gets Better"….<3..Ronnie:

• 28. Ronnie  |  October 6, 2010 at 11:16 am

Jewel says "It Gets Better" & talks about her GBF….<3…Ronnie:

• 29. Ronnie  |  October 6, 2010 at 11:17 am

Jay, his Husband Bryan, & their 2kids-son Daniel & daughter Selena say "It Gets Better"….<3…Ronnie:

• 30. Gregory in SLC  |  October 6, 2010 at 12:14 pm

Thanks for videos Ronnie….watched them all…loved them all! What a cute family 😀

• 31. Ronnie  |  October 6, 2010 at 12:23 pm

You're welcome…they have other videos (the family) basically just video journals….& I agree they are a cute family….here is the link to their YouTube channel called Gay Family Values……<3…Ronnie:

• 32. bluprntguy  |  October 6, 2010 at 12:02 pm

missed this news. Not sure if others saw it.

• 33. Ray in MA  |  October 6, 2010 at 12:23 pm

Another OT…

I would be very concerned if my faith mandated that I clean their toilets…

LDS announces:

"All cleaning responsibilities will now be done by it's members"

"This will mean complete cleaning of restrooms…"

This only serves to provide Pope Benedict another reason to be grateful that he is not Mormon.

• 34. RebeccaRGB  |  October 6, 2010 at 1:35 pm

"This will free up a significant amount of money to funnel into more anti-gay political campaigns help those in need and will give church members additional opportunities to screw over anyone different serve."

"We are blessed with beautiful and sacred buildings that we bought with the money we ripped off from you (since we decided big fancy shiny buildings were a better use of it than, you know, actually helping people in need)."

• 35. Sheryl, Mormon mothe  |  October 6, 2010 at 5:52 pm

Members have been cleaning the meeting house buildings for several years now.

And the church does not rip money from anyone. No one is forced to pay tithing, fast offerings, etc. Yes, to go to the temple you need to be a member in good standing which means you will be paying your tithing but that is a personal choice.

As far as not helping the needy, you might want to do a little more fact finding. The church as an extensive welfare system (and not everyone who receives this help is a member).

While I will not defend the Church's stand on homosexuality, I will defend when other areas of the church are misrepresented.

Sheryl, Mormon Mother

• 36. RebeccaRGB  |  October 7, 2010 at 12:01 am

I must apologize, I might have gone too far with that post.

• 37. Sheryl, Mormon Mothe  |  October 7, 2010 at 6:23 am

Apology accepted. I've been guilty of misrepresentation and over generalizations myself. It is so easy to do when dealing with emotionally-charged issues. I realize the LDS Church has opened itself up for criticism. But, as a member, I want to keep that criticism in the area that so richly deserves it and that is the church's stance on homosexuals and their involvement in the anti-gay movement.

Sheryl, Mormon Mother (reminder that I need to know by tomorrow evening who will able to attend the get together on Oct. 15 at BATS Improv. If you've already contacted me, no need to do so again. Also, this deadline is just to see if we have enough attendees for a discount, if you find that you area able to come, and the deadline has passed, please attend (and brings spouses/partners or friends); just let me know so that we will reserve the right # of seats so that we can sit together and so that i will remain in the lobby with my P8TT sign)

• 38. Lesbians Love Boies  |  October 6, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Lautenberg tells Rutgers forum he'll introduce anti-harassment legislation

Colleges and universities that receive federal funding should adopt policies that would prohibit the harassment of any student, Sen. Frank Lautenberg told a crowd of 300 people gathered at a town hall forum Wednesday night at Rutgers University.

Lautenberg said he planned to introduce such legislation in Congress in the wake of the death of Rutgers freshman and Ridgewood resident Tyler Clementi, who committed suicide after being harassed.

Schools that don’t comply might risk losing federal funding, he told those assembled at the emotional gathering organized to highlight anti-gay bullying.

“These people should be punished for what they do,” said Lautenberg, a Democrat. “They cannot harass students because of their views.”

The legislation is still being drafted, an aide to Lautenberg said, and money for the establishment of programs on campus to deal with harassment still hasn’t been ironed out.

More: http://www.northjersey.com/news/100610_Lautenberg

• 39. Bob  |  October 6, 2010 at 12:46 pm

Anti-harassment legislation, would be a good thing, sort of a little like aimed in the same direction as hate speech laws in Canada.

• 40. Richard A. Walter (s  |  October 6, 2010 at 1:06 pm

Will try to catch up later. And yes, I will go and listen to this segment, as well as look for a way to pick it up via streaming on my laptop.

• 41. AndrewPDX  |  October 7, 2010 at 3:17 am

subscribing x2 (late, to this thread, and now to the podcast).

Liberty, Equality, Fraternity