Live-blogging the DADT and Prop 8 hearings: Embarking on a third tour of duty with the Prop 8 Trial Tracker

Community/Meta DADT trial Prop 8 trial

Hey everyone, please welcome Adam Bink back to the Prop 8 Trial Tracker for his third tour of duty. He’ll be live-blogging the DADT hearings as well as the Prop 8 hearing on Monday, along with Rick Jacobs and Arisha Hatch, right here on the Prop 8 Trial Tracker. Just like old times! — Eden

Eden and the rest of the Courage team asked if I would come back to take the reins here on P8TT, and I’ll be starting tomorrow and running through Christmas Day.

As always, I’m excited to work with such a vibrant community, and I’m doing it because of the road we face ahead. We’re entering a critical few weeks in our movement for equality, with critical hearings and votes in the Senate coming up, and as you all know, the 9th Circuit hearing on Prop 8 coming up on Monday.

As such, Courage is expanding its team to bring you the best coverage possible, and so I’m back for a third tour of duty. If you’re new to P8TT, I managed coverage of the first and second National Organization for Marriage bus tours, which you can read about here. For some more background, my usual writing can be found at my home blog, OpenLeft.com.

The third tour starts Thursday morning in, appropriately, the Senate Armed  Services Committee. I will be arriving around 8 AM EST with a large cuppa strong black tea, a charged laptop, and my cyber game face to bring you live-blog coverage all morning long of the critical Senate Armed Services Committee hearings on the Pentagon Comprehensive Working Group report released yesterday. Secretary Gates, Admiral Mullen, and the two co-chairs of the Working Group- Jeh Johnson and General Carter Ham- will be testifying. Carl Fredrickson John McCain will no doubt be in fine form. Susan Collins will do her usual poker face on which way she’ll go on the cloture vote. There might be protesters.

I couldn’t think of a better way to spend Thursday morning, or a better way to kick off a critical month of December for our movement. And on Monday, Rick Jacobs and Arisha Michelle Hatch will be live-blogging the 9th Circuit hearing while I manage external coverage here from DC.

The hearings start tomorrow at 9 AM EST. See you then here at P8TT.

• 1. Ann S.  |  December 1, 2010 at 11:03 am

Woot, thanks, Adam!

• 2. Lesbians Love Boies  |  December 1, 2010 at 11:06 am

• 3. StraightForEquality  |  December 1, 2010 at 2:50 pm

• 4. Richard A. Jernigan  |  December 1, 2010 at 11:04 am

Welcome back, Adam!

• 5. Kathleen  |  December 1, 2010 at 11:12 am

Welcome back, Adam.

• 6. DazedWheels  |  December 1, 2010 at 11:17 am

Welcome back, Adam, and thank you!

• 7. Gregory in Salt Lake  |  December 1, 2010 at 11:19 am

Much better news…Adam is back!

NOTICE: for those interested, the Andrew Sullivan and Maggie Gallagher discussion at Georgetown University starts in about 10 mins.

• 8. Gregory in Salt Lake  |  December 1, 2010 at 11:20 am

Oh…that would be Dec 8th not 1st sorry

• 9. Kathleen  |  December 1, 2010 at 11:21 am

I was just getting ready to thank you for reminding me. I KNOW I'll forget by the 8th. 🙂

• 10. Ray in MA  |  December 1, 2010 at 12:10 pm

and thanx for pointing this out… and correcting it!!!

I may have missed it… should be good.

(Hope Haggie keeps her shoes on…. eeeeooh!)

• 11. Sagesse  |  December 1, 2010 at 11:45 am

Bring it on. Welcome back Adam.

• 12. Ray in MA  |  December 1, 2010 at 12:08 pm

Thanx all! We're putting our faith and trust in you.

• 13. Ronnie  |  December 1, 2010 at 12:24 pm

=

<3…Ronnie

• 14. JonT  |  December 1, 2010 at 1:02 pm

In memory of Leslie Nielson: "Good Luck. We're all counting on you."

🙂

• 15. Kathleen  |  December 1, 2010 at 1:18 pm

UPDATE: Proponents file motion asking for Reinhardt's recusal. http://www.scribd.com/doc/44508349

• 16. Lesbians Love Boies  |  December 1, 2010 at 1:20 pm

Well, we can't say we didn't see this coming. I hope that Reinhardt does the right thing and stays. HIs wife doesn't pose any threat, nor is it wrong. But, if so, then I see lots of SC justices needing to recuse themselves when this goes to the SC

• 17. Tomato  |  December 1, 2010 at 1:42 pm

And no-one says a word about Smith.

That is integrity. A judge is a judge, and unless he gave money to Prop 8 it is not wrong for him to be one of the three.

As we have seen here on P8TT – being a Mormon is not automatically negative. If anyone makes a fuss about Smith just because of his religion (not his actions) then I will be ticked off.

• 18. Kathleen  |  December 1, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Also, a joint request by Plaintiffs and P-Is (City and County of SF) for reallocation of time during second hour. http://www.scribd.com/doc/44508632

• 19. Ronnie  |  December 1, 2010 at 1:41 pm

Really?….I mean really?…why do these un-American anti-gay schlocks not realize they are the one's that need recuse themselves…Of I forgot…because they are selfish porcine's who amusingly believe that the entire world has to bow down to & revolve around them at the same frolicking time…..RECUSE THIS… ooIoo ……. XP …..Ronnie

• 20. Sagesse  |  December 1, 2010 at 1:56 pm

I find this kind of argument offensive. Neither one of them should face limits in their professional lives because of what the other one does or thinks or says. They are two separate independent people in a profession that demands objectivity as a basic principle.

I realize the boundary of professional conflict of interest for judges can be a fine line, and maybe it''s wishful thinking on my part, but I don't see from the facts set out here that Ms Ripston is on the wrong side of the line in this case. Also, if Judge Reinhardt has recused himself before (and hasn't this time), he probably has a pretty good idea where that line is.

• 21. Kathleen  |  December 1, 2010 at 2:07 pm

Yes. And it's not as though this just landed in his lap. We may have just now learned that he's on the panel, but he's had this case for months now.

• 22. Alan E.  |  December 1, 2010 at 4:34 pm

I posted this on Facebook, but I'll say it here too.

They cited a list of cases that Reinhardt had recused himself from, but they fail to mention that the ACLU was the group that brought each case forward or was a party in the case (I went through and looked them all up). In this case, they simply filed an amicus brief and ultimately will suffer no consequences or benefits from the decision in this case. They are reaching here.

• 23. Ronnie  |  December 1, 2010 at 2:25 pm

One of NOM's followers are calling for being LGBT to be outlawed on their "Protect" Marriage Facebook page…….but…but….I thought NOM wasn't a hate group…they don't want to put LGBT people in jail…FAIL…LIARS!!!!…..

Laquisha Jones "The homosexuals are angering our Lord and Saviour. They are going against Creation bye defiling themselves. Homosexuality and sodomy should be outlawed."
    52 minutes ago
    2 people like this.

(me) but NOM you are only about "protecting" marriage…not making being LGBT illegal…that is what you repeatedly say, no?…you don't condone violence, yeah?….what exactly do you think that "should be outlawed" thing can to lead too….(Hint: Pink Triangle)……

Bonnie Parker "Sodomy has been illegal in many states for years."
    50 minutes ago · 1 person ·

(me) hahahhahaha…benighted, fascist, un-American troll…3 words….Lawrence v. Texas…..

Laquisha Jones "But now states allow it. Only vaginal sex between married straight couples should be allowed. Anything other than that is blasphemous against the Lord and He shall punish them accordingly."

(me) Yeeaaaaaaaaaah, NO!… your "God" will not punish me…that's not my scene…sorry to burst your bubble….there is a whole lot of force the American people to be their version of "Christian" going on over at that page…..so much FAIL!!!….. >/ ….Ronnie

• 24. Elizabeth Oakes  |  December 1, 2010 at 2:34 pm

Ronnie, don't trouble yourself. If Laquisha was getting any worth talking about, she wouldn't be equating healthy adult sexual activity with supernatural punishment–know what I'm sayin', brother?

• 25. Ronnie  |  December 1, 2010 at 3:07 pm

lol….hugs Elizabeth…true true….<3…Ronnie

• 26. Elizabeth Oakes  |  December 1, 2010 at 3:18 pm

I mean, if you think about it…here's a woman who has either never had a validating sexual experience and/or sold her own sexuality to a group of sex-obsessed control freaks so she could feel like she was part of a community. You can see how sad that is, yeah? As a substitute for other kinds of love and intimacy.

• 27. Tomato  |  December 2, 2010 at 12:26 am

E.O.- that was very well stated. In just one sentence you summarized all the motivation behind the anti-equality mess.

• 28. Ronnie  |  December 2, 2010 at 9:30 am

I agree with Tomato…& it is very sad…..<3…Ronnie

• 29. Tomato  |  December 2, 2010 at 12:39 am

Ronnie – remember that NO-WHERE in the New Testament does Jesus say anything against homosexuality. In fact, a couple times he is solidly accepting of homosexuals. http://www.wouldjesusdiscriminate.org

The anti-gay theological stuff these people toss around is from the Old Testament (the "Jewish Bible"). Everything Jesus said and did was a reaction against the legalism and cruelty of the Old Testament in society. By holding up the Old Testament as their guiding principle, these people are going against what Jesus taught. They are rejecting Jesus.

These people are anti-Jesus. They are anti-Christs.
    They are everything Jesus fought against 2,000 years ago.

• 30. Richard A. Jernigan  |  December 2, 2010 at 12:57 am

Also, those who are misusing the Torah to espouse homophobia are totally ignoring the culture and history of the region, and the fact that the passages they are quoting from Leviticus (the Levitical law for the Levitical priesthood) were in reference to fertility rituals common in the area in which the fertility gods and goddesses would grant bounty in the fields and in the nursery to heterosexual couples who went against their sexual orientation and had sex with temple prostitutes of the same gender as the people attempting to appease those gods and goddesses. After all, when you read about David and Jonathan, Saul reminds David that he is twice his father-in-law, referring to the fact that David was not only married to Saul's daughter, Michal, but also to Saul's son, Jonathan.
    These same people also conveniently ignore the truth of the relationship between Ruth and Naomi. After all, how many times have you heard newly married couples say to each other the same thing Ruth said to Naomi about Where you go I will follow, your god will be my god, and your people will be my people?
    These folks will make use of any mistranslations, misinterpretations, and redactions that they can find which suit their purpose and enable them to breed fear within the ranks of their sheeple, thereby enabling them to extort more money to continue their lavish lifestyles so that they can ignore the wishes of the rank and file of this country.
    That is why I refer to them as CINO's.

• 31. Ronnie  |  December 2, 2010 at 9:38 am

CINO's….(sighs) ….. : / ….Ronnie

• 32. Elizabeth Oakes  |  December 1, 2010 at 2:28 pm

Isn't it unusual for the parties to request a recusal? I mean, isn't that incumbent upon the judge to recuse him/herself? I think this is just yet another red herring they're throwing in the grinder to flavor their next fundraising flyer, whinging about how they asked the corrupt left-wing oppressor Ninth Circuit to kick out this obviously biased judge but they WOULDN'T *whine*(so give us money to fight for "traditional marriage.")

• 33. Alan E.  |  December 1, 2010 at 4:09 pm

O…M…G…

Do we get to meet Arisha in person on Monday?! I cannot wait until then =)

• 34. Richard A. Jernigan  |  December 1, 2010 at 10:18 pm

For anyone who has not yet met Arisha, Anthony Ash, and Phyllis Lozano, you are in for a real treat. They are even nicer in person than they are in their posts here, and I am so glad that we have them as part of the P8TT family!

• 35. Gregory in Salt Lake  |  December 2, 2010 at 12:07 am

: ) !

• 36. Ann S.  |  December 2, 2010 at 3:31 am

Woot! I'm so looking forward to Monday!

• 37. Carpool Cookie  |  December 1, 2010 at 7:30 pm

"As always, I’m excited to work with such a vibrant community…

Thank you. I have been trying out a new moisturizer…!

• 38. Ann S.  |  December 2, 2010 at 3:31 am

🙂

• 39. Rhie  |  December 2, 2010 at 10:48 am

checkin box

• 40. Maura McGurk  |  December 4, 2010 at 11:05 pm

Thanks–can't wait! The original Prop 8 trial blog was riveting!