Happy Pride!

Community/Meta

It is Capital Pride weekend here in DC. Married same-sex couples fill the streets, and yet still, fire and brimstone have not rained from the sky! Still yet, there are married heterosexual couples who think it’s great! Odd.

These would be the nationally renowned DC Cowboys at last year’s festival in front of the U.S. Capitol, performing an awesome Gaga medley:

It’s also the 1-year anniversary for me and my man, and we’re celebrating tomorrow night.

What are your weekend plans, and is there a Pride celebration where you live this month?

• 1. Sagesse  |  June 11, 2011 at 6:30 am

Toronto Pride June 24 – July 3

• 2. Sagesse  |  June 11, 2011 at 6:35 am

Still not getting e-mail notifications. I'm back to the error message on activation. Nice to have the community back tho :).

• 3. adambink  |  June 11, 2011 at 8:54 am

Working on it. Rather, the IntenseDebate people have been notified. There's nothing we can do about it on our side at the moment, but it's on the radar.

• 4. Brett  |  June 11, 2011 at 6:33 am

Congrats on your one year anniversary! I hope you guys have a wonderful time.

• 5. adambink  |  June 11, 2011 at 8:54 am

Oh, thanks Brett.

• 6. Ann S.  |  June 11, 2011 at 8:10 am

Happy Anniversary!!

• 7. adambink  |  June 11, 2011 at 8:54 am

Thanks, Ann.

• 8. Franck  |  June 11, 2011 at 10:33 am

Pride celebrations here? Hahaha, nope. Not this month, not this year, not this decade and maybe not even this century. Have fun wherever you are though! 🙂

– Franck P. Rabeson
    Days spent apart from my fiancé because of DOMA: 1450 days, as of today.

• 9. LCH  |  June 11, 2011 at 10:38 am

I'll be marching in the PFLAG contingent with friends and family and working the PFLAG booth at San Francisco Pride, Jun 25- Jun 26. Can't wait!!! BTW all are welcome, if you are in the area and want to join our contingent or want to participate by lending a hand, let me know. You don't have to be a parent. Whether you are LGBTQQI or straight, if you support our cause you are welcomed!

• 10. davep  |  June 11, 2011 at 4:58 pm

This just reminded me of the first two times I saw PFLAG at the Pride parades. I was just 'coming out' to friends and family and attending my first Pride Parades…..

The first time I saw them, the PFLAG contingent consisted of a large flatbed truck with a lot of young gay people on the truck and their straight parents walking beside the truck, all holding signs like "I love my gay son" and "I'm proud of my lesbian daughter". I thought it was wonderful!

The next time I saw them was at a different Pride parade about a month later. I saw the truck and the banner approaching and I was so happy to see them again. But this time, something was different. This time, the straight parents were all riding on the truck, waving and cheering to the crowd, while their gay kids walked beside them holding signs that said "I LOVE MY STRAIGHT PARENTS".

I'm not sure why, but this affected me so much more than the first time I saw them. At a time when I was still very apprehensive about my future and what it would mean to be 'out', seeing PFLAG that day may have been the first time I really felt that everything was going to be OK. I will never forget what they did for me that day. Thank you, PFLAG!

• 11. Ann S.  |  June 11, 2011 at 5:51 pm

DaveP, thanks for that story!

• 12. Bob  |  June 11, 2011 at 11:17 am

I love PRIDE celebrations,,,,, love love love seeing the rainbow flags flying ,,,, Salt Splring Island PRIDE is the weekend of Sept 8th,,,,,,,, if anyone wants to come and experience the festivities in a small community,,,, seem like all the towns along the coast want their own Pride parades,,, Nanaimo, Duncan,, Parksville,,,, and so on,, and we're all short drive to Victoria,,, city,,,, where the big one will take place,,,,,,,, wo hoo,, PRIDE all summer,,, Happy PRIDE to everyone…… unfurl the rainbow,,,, at every opportunity,,,,,,

• 13. Bob  |  June 11, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Pride is not a good thing no matter what faith or philosophy you have.

• 14. Sagesse  |  June 11, 2011 at 3:30 pm

The good thing is, not-Canadian Bob, you don't have to go if you don't want to. There is nothing wrong with being true to oneself and proud of it.

• 15. Bob  |  June 11, 2011 at 3:33 pm

Well I guess you haven't lived long enough yet to see the danger in pride or you just ignore it. Your choice!

• 16. Sagesse  |  June 12, 2011 at 10:36 am

At 61, non-Canadian Bob, I probably have a representative sample of life.

I begin to see where you're coming from on the pride thing, tho.

Archdiocese of Boston Bans Gay Mass

"Another local conservative Catholic blogger, Carol McKinely, said, “Pride is one of the cardinal sins in the Catholic Church. It’s the opposite of humility,” the Globe reported."

Homosexuality is a sin (according to some religions). Pride is a sin (may depend on the definition). Consider "a sense of one's own proper dignity or value; self-respect".

• 17. davep  |  June 11, 2011 at 4:03 pm

Truth be told, Bob, I strive for self esteem rather than pride. It's better for my attitude.

But I gotta say that either of these things is far, far better than the shame that so many homophobic bigots would wish on the lives of us gay people. I will NOT live like THAT just because some people have a low opinion of all gay people when they don't even know what the hell they are talking about. Happy Pride Weekend, Bob!

• 18. Bob  |  June 11, 2011 at 4:27 pm

you got a ways to go there buddy,,,,,, we're redefining the word PRIDE too,,,,, forget the biblical context,,,,, join in yourself and experience , inclusion,, acceptance,, joy , celebration,,,,, anyone is capable of these human experiences,,,,, but like Sagesse points out if you're afraid of those emotions,,,,, steer clear…..

• 19. Franck  |  June 13, 2011 at 3:36 am

Pride is not always a bad thing in a world that isn't all black and white. We French speakers have two words for pride:

Orgueil is the bad kind of pride. It's the one that makes you feel you're better than anyone else, that everyone else is dog dung.

Fierté is the good kind of pride. It's the one that makes you say "I'm proud of you, kid." It's the one that tells people (and yourself): "You are NOT dog dung."

It's a sad thing that something that should be encouraged shares its name with a sin in English, but it's even more sad that people lump the two together and avoid them so strongly, only one thing remains: their opposite, shame.

– Franck P. Rabeson
    Days spent apart from my fiancé because of DOMA: 1452 days, as of today.

• 20. Sagesse  |  June 11, 2011 at 3:32 pm

For those of you who are wondering what Patrick Murphy is up to. He'd make a fine AG in Pennsylvania.

’Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’ Repeal Champion Visits Fire Island

• 21. Chrys  |  June 11, 2011 at 4:22 pm

Yes, he would. And I hope he will. I'll certainly vote for him!

• 22. Chrys  |  June 11, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Pittsburgh Pridefest is tomorrow. My lady and I are heading downtown early to get a good view of the parade, then we will wander around. This is actually the first time either of us will attend a Pride event. We're pretty excited about it.

Got a new puppy today – a four month old Papillon from the shelter. 🙂

Congrats on your anniversary, Adam.

• 23. Ronnie  |  June 11, 2011 at 5:57 pm

HAPPY PRIDE!!! Yes I'm back betches. I've been busy & the last month has been hard. May share in due time. But for now I'm testing the new waters, subscribing & sharing this.

Thousands attend Europride in Rome, ending the day with Lady Gaga's performance at Circus Maximus…..<3…Ronnie http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM… xPIbuTx7ENU http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPIbuTx7ENU youtube]

• 24. Ronnie  |  June 11, 2011 at 5:58 pm

LOL…ok trying that again…..<3….Ronnie:

• 25. JonT  |  June 11, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Ooo, let me try the new yt embed plugin:

[youtube xPIbuTx7ENU http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPIbuTx7ENU youtube]

• 26. Kathleen  |  June 12, 2011 at 10:29 am

Great to see you, Ronnnie.

• 27. JonT  |  June 11, 2011 at 6:41 pm

yay! Ronnie's back! 🙂

• 28. LCH  |  June 11, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Hi Ronnie. Missed you : )

• 29. Sagesse  |  June 12, 2011 at 10:59 am

'Pride' flag brings out the bigots

• 30. Sagesse  |  June 12, 2011 at 11:22 am

Pride in Spokane.

Gay community puts pride on parade

• 31. Sagesse  |  June 12, 2011 at 11:30 am

And from Boston

Rain doesn’t dampen pride parade

• 32. rick jacobs  |  June 12, 2011 at 11:03 pm

I hope you and "your man" had a great, Prideful celebration.

• 33. David Henderson  |  June 13, 2011 at 12:16 am

Denver Pridefest is next weekend (June 18-19). I'll be going with the Colorado Log Cabin Republicans. Several local GOP leaders will be joining us at the booth off and on, to show their solidarity with us.