Suggestions for LGBT role models

Community/Meta

Daniel at Queerty has a few, on the heels of the California legislature enacting State Sen. Leno’s bill requiring the historical contributions of LGBT people be taught in schools:

The bigger question really is which historically famous LGBTs the schools should include in their curriculum. We have a few unexpected suggestions:

1) Socrates, Alexander the Great, and Herman Melville – The schools should make sure to bring already famous cultural figures out of the closet so all kids will know just how queer their education already is.

2) Lorraine Hansberry, Frida Kahlo, and Eleanor Roosevelt – Don’t forget to take the already famous lesbians and bisexual ladies out of the closet too, especially people of color who normally get overlooked in other classes. Queers represent diversity and our history should too.

3) Roy Cohn – Yes, students should absolutely know about the closeted Angels in America villain who assisted in the McCarthy hearings and later died in the AIDS epidemic. He could be an example of how self-loathing homophobias hurts everyone.

4) Albus Dumbledore – LGBT education also means highlighting famous LGBT characters in literature. That includes Shug Avery in The Color Purple, Nick Carraway in The Great Gatsby, and countless Shakespearean characters who fall in love with women dressed as men.

5) Maatkare Hatshepsut – The 5th Pharaoh of the 18th Dynasty of Egypt is not only the first female monarch in recorded history, but she also wore male clothing and a fake beard. The jury’s still out on whether she was a lesbian, but students should know that gays and transsexuals also existed waaaaaay back in history and helped build some of the strongest kingdoms the world has ever known.

6) Billie Jean King – This astounding athlete who won the singles, women’s doubles, and mixed doubles titles at both Wimbledon and the U.S. Championships should be part of a larger athletic history that stretches as far back as the Olympic. All kids gay and straight need positive athletic role models, especially strong, talented women who pioneered into predominantly males sports, fundamentally changing the game and breaking world records too.

7) Chaz Bono – He’s just one example of a successful openly-trans media role model. The classes should demonstrate that all parts of LGBT spectrum can achieve success and that their battles and influence persist today and well into the future.

Obviously Harvey Milk is atop alongside them. I might add AIDS activist Larry Kramer and author/journalist Randy Shilts. Who are yours?

• 1. Ann S.  |  July 6, 2011 at 10:37 am

§

• 2. Gregory in SLC  |  July 6, 2011 at 10:38 am

The new gay Oprah? http://andersoncooper.com/#home

• 3. Gregory in SLC  |  July 6, 2011 at 10:40 am

p.s…I think A.C. would be a perfect role model especially because "gay" is not his main identity.

Another Role model: Judge Walker

• 4. peterplumber  |  July 6, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Is it common knowledge that Anderson Cooper is gay?
    I knew a guy who dated AC briefly, so I trust my friend that what he told me about AC is true.

• 5. Gregory in SLC  |  July 6, 2011 at 12:26 pm

yes….and no. Anderson C. has mentioned very early in his career he would not make the same mistake as his mother and publicize his personal life. Seems to have taken a Judge Walker approach where its no more relevant as it is to mention someone is heterosexual. He is known to take boyfriend to public events, and make elusive comments while filling in for Regis. Looking forward to the day where IT DOESN'T MATTER….when laws are truly equal.

• 6. fiona64  |  July 6, 2011 at 10:47 am

Along with Anderson Cooper: Shepard Smith. Also, Dan Choi, Jose Zuniga (Sixth U.S. Army Soldier of the year who came out at the March on Washington in 1993 — during which time he worked for me, seriously — and is now the director of International Physicians Treating AIDS), Leonardo da Vinci, Michaelangelo, Martina Navratilova, Rudolf Nureyev …

I could go on for a long while.

• 7. Goudy  |  July 6, 2011 at 10:53 am

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Turing
    don't forget alan turing.
    father of computer science, artificial intelligence, and was a key player in world war 2, helping break German codes.

• 8. Goudy  |  July 6, 2011 at 10:59 am

his treatment after the war is also important to know for history. that 1 man could do so much for his country, and still be treated terribly… it shows how ignorance can truly kill.

• 9. Kathleen  |  July 6, 2011 at 11:17 am

I second this suggestion. First person who came to mind for me.

• 10. Ozymandias71  |  July 6, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Completely agree – it's also important to point out that for the longest time, historical essays about Alan Turing completely left out what happened to him after WW2. For several friends of mine who thought they knew about Alan Turing, the British government's official apology was a complete shock.

• 11. JonT  |  July 6, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Absolutely Goudy.

• 12. Sagesse  |  July 6, 2011 at 10:58 am

Frank Kameny.

• 13. Coy  |  July 6, 2011 at 11:05 am

How about the Roman Emperor Hadrian and his lover Antinous? Antinous has one of the most famous and most sculpted faces in the world, and his is the only non-imperial face to ever appear on Roman coinage.

• 14. sneaks911  |  July 6, 2011 at 11:14 am

Friedrich Wilhelm von Steuben

Margarethe Cammermeyer U.S. Army Colonel,

• 15. sneaks911  |  July 6, 2011 at 11:16 am

Margarethe Cammermeyer

• 16. Gregory in SLC  |  July 6, 2011 at 11:18 am

This topic is funny for me as it was not too many years ago I used to critisized some gay associates of mine for knowing/keeping track of who is/who isn't LGBT. Just last night I was reviewing this site:

• 17. RWG  |  July 7, 2011 at 8:38 am

A non-commercial listing.

• 18. Gregory in SLC  |  July 7, 2011 at 11:11 am

tx. I'll review

• 19. Kathleen  |  July 6, 2011 at 11:18 am

How about Jok Church, creator of "You can with Beakman and Jax" and "Beakman's World"

• 20. Kathleen  |  July 6, 2011 at 11:19 am

Tennessee Williams

• 21. jpmassar  |  July 6, 2011 at 11:24 am

All those who challenged DADT. Witt, Choi, Fehrenbach, Camermeyer, Dunning, Matlovich, ben-Shalom, and on…

• 22. jpmassar  |  July 6, 2011 at 11:25 am

And the DOMA challengers. Golinski, Windsor, Gill.

• 23. Martin Pal  |  July 6, 2011 at 11:29 am

I came to write Alan Turing, just mentioned, so I will second that. I also would think Revolutionary war hero Baron von Steuben. Bayard Rustin. There is a documentary that I've always found interesting:
    OUT OF THE PAST: In 1995, Kelli Peterson started a gay and straight club at her Salt Lake City high school. The story of her ensuing battle with school authorities is interspersed with looks back at the diary of Michael Wigglesworth, a 17th-century Puritan cleric, at the 30-year relationship of Sarah Orne Jewett and Annie Adams Fields, at Henry Gerber's attempt after World War I to establish a gay-rights organization, at Bayard Rustin's role in the civil rights movement, and at Barbara Gittings' taking on of the American Psychiatric Association's position that homosexuality is an illness. One person comments, "To create a place for ourselves in the present, we have to find ourselves in the past."

• 24. Jeff  |  July 6, 2011 at 11:43 am

What a great idea Keli Peterson would be for high school students to hear. I lived in Salt Lake at the time and her fight was amazing and really made our community come out and support her it was one of the "big movements" that I had the privelige to see

• 25. Martin Pal  |  July 6, 2011 at 11:30 am

I've always found it's the gay history of day to day people that was hidden to us that interests me the most. I was watching a PBS show some time ago about Chicago gay history and they mentioned a black songwriter who wrote a song for his boyfriend that became a standard and later used on Broadway, although his original intent was not known. I think I recall the song was "Baby Face" but I could be wrong. Anyone else shed some light on this?

• 26. Dave in CA  |  July 6, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Pyotr Tchaikovsky
    Benjamin Britten
    Cole Porter
    Thornton Wilder (what American high school drama club has *not* performed "Our Town"?)
    Walt Whitman
    Oscar Wilde
    John Maynard Keynes

for the fundamentalist Christians who don't seem to know their own history
    St. Paul
    St. Luke
    OT King David

• 27. NetAmigo  |  July 6, 2011 at 12:11 pm

André Gide – Nobel literature 1947

• 28. AnonyGrl  |  July 6, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Oscar Wilde. Gertrude Stein.

• 29. Kathleen  |  July 6, 2011 at 12:19 pm

9th Circuit lifts stay in LCR v. USA (DADT case) http://www.scribd.com/doc/59466413

• 30. Kathleen  |  July 6, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Note that the order cites the DOJ filing in Golinski.

• 31. Waxr  |  July 6, 2011 at 12:19 pm

This brings to mind a cartoon which I saw several years ago: Two obviously gay men were talking to Noah. One of them was saying, "But he said two of each kind."

• 32. peterplumber  |  July 6, 2011 at 12:19 pm

Did anyone mention Elton John, Freddie Murcury, Andy Bell (of Erasure), and Michael Stipe?

• 33. Gregory in SLC  |  July 6, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Erasure coming to SLC in September …already got tickets : D !

• 34. Ronnie  |  July 6, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Here is a list of some:
    LGBT History Month 2010 Icons: http://www.glbthistorymonth.com/glbthistorymonth/

Also…. Civil Rights activist Rodney Powell:

A Letter from Rodney Powell, Gay Man who Helped Lead the Freedom Rides http://www.soulforce.org/article/1103

: ) …..Ronnie

• 35. Adam Bink  |  July 6, 2011 at 12:34 pm

These are really good.

• 36. Ziege  |  July 6, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Le Chevalier D'Eon

• 37. davep  |  July 6, 2011 at 12:51 pm

1. Leonadro Da Vinci (duh!!)
    2. Eleanor Roosevelt
    3. Cecil Rhodes (Rhodesia/Zimbabwe)
    4. J. Edgar Hoover
    5. More recent – "Father Mike" Judge, who died on 9/11 when he rushed to the twin towers to assist NY firefighters. His story is powerful and inspirational.

• 38. AnonyGrl  |  July 6, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Oh MY! How could we forget Bayard Rustin???

• 39. AnonyGrl  |  July 6, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Oops… I see that Martin Pal did not forget Bayard Rustin. Sorry! 🙂

• 40. Chris  |  July 6, 2011 at 1:02 pm

He was my first thought too. Him and Turing. So many good names in this thread though.

• 41. Kathlene  |  July 10, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Rustin and Turing were my two first thoughts too.

• 42. Ronnie  |  July 6, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Sylvia Rivera & Marsha P. Johnson…….. <3…Ronnie

• 43. Mooki3B  |  July 6, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Ellen Degeneres, Neal Patrick Harris, Lance Bass, Ricky Martin, Lady Gaga…

Pop culture has led the way.

• 44. Pete  |  July 6, 2011 at 1:37 pm

Billy Strayhorn, composer of "Take the A Train" and G. F. Handel, composer of "Messiah"

• 45. Mooki3B  |  July 6, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Pedro Zamora, Magic Johnson, Arthur Ashe, Rock Hudson, Liberace….

Putting a face to AIDS making it a human disease.

• 46. Mooki3B  |  July 6, 2011 at 1:45 pm

President Obama for instructing the DOJ to stop defending DOMA and instructing heighten scrutiny.

• 47. Ozymandias71  |  July 6, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Greg Louganis gets my vote. After it became public that he was Gay, there was a lot of discussions about sexuality at my high school that wouldn't have happened otherwise – with a surprising number of my fellow students saying that it was his stellar performance at the 1988 Olympics that mattered, *not* his sexuality.

• 48. nightshayde  |  July 6, 2011 at 3:32 pm

How about Barney Frank?

I know there are other legislators who are out, too — but their names are escaping me right now. (stupid migraine)

• 49. Marlene  |  July 6, 2011 at 3:54 pm

How about NOT Chaz Bono? Sylvia Rivera, Kate Bornstein, Billy Tipton, Joan of Arc, Leslie Feinberg… there are lots of trans folks who have done more than just be trans and related to a public figure.

• 50. justjoel59  |  July 6, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Not a single mention of Batman and Robin! Where are our nerds today?

• 51. Angela  |  July 6, 2011 at 6:38 pm

I think no one has mentioned them because no one really thought about the two of them being gay until the quack wrote "Seduction Of The Innocent" in what, 1951? The guy goes around to JDs and asks them What do you read? When he discovered that a lot of them read comics, his warped sense of logic decided Well if JDs like comics then that must mean comics cause children to become JDs. The original comics as I recall had Batman/Robin as metaphorical brothers/father-son relationship. DC decided that since most readers of comics were kids, they thought they might like a kid hero, enter Robin; because none of them thought that a hero could be a kid they made a sidekick… Before that time Batman was a very DARK comic book (talking about the Depression-era Batman). Timely comics had a real kid hero as a main character, Captain Marvel, but because he was outselling DC at the time and looked a lot like Superman, there was a big lawsuit that lasted literally over a decade and ended when Timely agreed to discontinue the entire title. Timely later went out of business but its founders stayed in the business and later founded the company of Marvel (named after the hero) and Stan Lee revolutionized the genre (with Jack Kirby of course, let's not give Lee ALL the credit!) by creating the Fantastic Four, the Incredible Hulk, X-Men, and of course, teen hero Spiderman.

Anyway I'm sure that it is because of Wurthrom or however the quack's name is spelled, we have the stigma that Batman & Robin were/are lovers… and maybe they BECAME lovers in people's minds after Wurthrom's "analysis" of comics. This is the guy who also said that Wonder Woman was "the exact opposite of what girls are SUPPOSED to be."

But there are several heroes in comics who are gay. Apollo and Midnighter (The Authority! very political!) and Green Arrow had a sidekick who later came out as I recall, and I think that was in 1978….

But yeah I think Shumacher's Batman films made the myth of Batman and Robin's sexuality real enough for the audience… Why else would they actually put nipples on the costumes (in Batman & Robin)? LOL despite the whole Poison Ivy plotline.

• 52. sneaks911  |  July 6, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Lily Tomlin

• 53. CaliGirl  |  July 6, 2011 at 4:17 pm

Why not Kirk and Spock?

…wait, was that just in my head? *sigh* Sad days. 😉

• 54. AnonyGrl  |  July 6, 2011 at 10:27 pm

You too? I thought that was just my little fantasy… I had the Kirk and Spock dolls (action figures?) and they used to ALWAYS hang out together…

• 55. DebbieC  |  July 7, 2011 at 3:36 am

You should SEE the amount of Kirk/Spock slash writing out there. 🙂 Rule 34 applies to everything.

• 56. MarcosLB  |  July 6, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Mark Bingham, from Flight 93

• 57. David Henderson  |  July 6, 2011 at 11:45 pm

I definitely second this one. Mark is a true hero, and is a perfect example of being gay not defining someone, just being one aspect of who they are.

I visited San Francisco back in April for a fundraiser for a documentary called With You, which is about Mark and his mother, Alice Hoagland. She is also a wonderful person.

• 58. Mark ;-)  |  July 6, 2011 at 4:26 pm

Stew (of "Passing Strange" fame)
    Langston Hughes
    David Bowie
    Kinsey

• 59. Alan_Eckert  |  July 6, 2011 at 4:29 pm

What about Ruth or David and Jonathan? They're from the Bible, so I'm a little torn. Part of me wouldn't mind sticking it to the fundies, but the other part of me wants biblical/religious stuff left out of schools.

• 60. Don in Texas  |  July 6, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Thomas Roberts and Rachel Maddow of MSNBC.

• 61. rnegron  |  July 6, 2011 at 5:06 pm

I nominate Sait Sebastian. A bonafides Saint, and ooooh sooooo cuuuute to boot!

• 62. Angela  |  July 6, 2011 at 6:18 pm

What an AWESOME discussion! I have a few suggestions!

PETER TCHAIKOVSKY: It is believed that this amazing Russian classical composer of such music as The Nutcracker, Swan Lake, Sleeping Beauty, the 1812 Overture, among other things, died so young because he intentionally contracted cholora knowing how deadly it was. It has been debated over the years that it was no accident, that he in fact killed himself because a well-known person caught him and his lover (and nephew) together. Knowing he could not survive the scandal, (again it's DEBATED) that he intentionally contracted cholora. I think that is worth noting, and also worth noting that just before his death, he premiered his sixth symphony, the "Pathetique" symphony, through which he hoped to tell the story of his life, a very tragic and sad one. To promote their film Sleeping Beauty which used much of Tchaikovsky's ballet score, Disney made a "biography" called "The Story of Tchaikovsky." I watched it, and believed every bit of it, until I did some REAL reading, and found out the truth about Tchaikovsky's life and works. He's so compelling.

On that note Oskar Wilde suffered along the same lines as I recall.

I'm a huge figure skating fan, so Rudi Galindo is a great role model for me, especially the fact that after he was diagnosed w HIV, he STILL continued to skate. Lord love him! A friend who is gay made a video montage of him and Rudi saw it and actually sent him an email saying how touched and grateful he was for it, that it made him cry.

One final suggestion is, since we're talking about fictional characters too, is Ennis Del Mar.

And now that I think of it KURT HUMMEL as well.

• 63. Michguy  |  July 6, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Oprah ??

• 64. Bryce  |  July 6, 2011 at 7:51 pm

Langston Hughes (echoing Mark, for example) is a great choice, but also Michel Foucault.

• 65. Scott San Diego  |  July 6, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Martina Navratilova, Rachel Maddow and Neil Patrick Harris!!!! They rock.

• 66. Mark M. (Seattle)  |  July 6, 2011 at 9:50 pm

Harvey Fierstein has always been one of my personal role models

• 67. AnonyGrl  |  July 6, 2011 at 10:25 pm

He is a fun guy! And quite nice to work with. I stage managed an event that he was in YEARS ago. Before the show, I was standing outside waiting for Chris Reeve to come (he was in the wheelchair at that point, and getting him past the press was the tricky bit). Harvey came up and we were chatting, when three people came by with cameras and asked to take his picture. He said "sure", then grabbed me, dipped me, and planted a big kiss on me. We were laughing so hard at this point he almost dropped me on my butt on the sidewalk. After they were gone, I joked "Well THAT is going to ruin my reputation when it hits the papers!" He responded "Oh, it is going to MAKE mine!"

• 68. Mark Mead-Brewer  |  July 7, 2011 at 9:09 am

Great story!
    Similar to the one I have of my first meeting with Harvey. Early 90's fundraiser cocktail party…he came rushing in and up to my husband and myself…."You two look safe…save me!", I asked him "Save you from what?" and he said "Oh no, I mean save me for later GROWL!"
    LOL
    He is such a hoot!!

• 69. MOOKI3B  |  July 6, 2011 at 10:00 pm

Gavin Newsom (San Francisco, CA) and Jason West (New Paltz, NY) for saying [email protected]#% it! They deserve marriage licenses.

• 70. TMA  |  July 6, 2011 at 10:07 pm

If anyone wants a juicy, delicious, hilarious transcript of my conversation w/ TN State Sen. Stacey Campfield (author of TN's "Don't Say Gay" bill) on Mark Leno's gay education bill, hit me up. My email is: [email protected]

• 71. MOOKI3B  |  July 6, 2011 at 10:13 pm

The patrons of the Stonewall Inn on June 28th 1969 who had the courage to stand up and say ENOUGH! Without them…where would we be?

• 72. MOOKI3B  |  July 6, 2011 at 10:32 pm

Dolce & Gabbana, Peter Lagerfeld, Calvin Klein, Marc Jacobs, Versace, and the hottest of them all Tom Ford all of whom make it possible for even the most average man to look great and attract a mate.

• 73. MOOKI3B  |  July 6, 2011 at 10:43 pm

Richard Baker and James Michael McConnell for having the courage on May 18, 1970 to apply for a marriage license in Minnesota.

It has taken 34 years just to get the first legally recognized marriage license in any US state.

• 74. MOOKI3B  |  July 6, 2011 at 10:59 pm

Judy Sheppard because no mother should forget…it could be your child.

• 75. Longestest Lurker  |  July 7, 2011 at 2:35 am

Ernie & Burt 🙂

• 76. Roger  |  July 7, 2011 at 3:55 am

The problem with developing a course like this one is not so much whom to include but who must be left out. For reasons of space, as authors say.

But Alan Turing should certainly head the list.

A few more:

Alexander von Humboldt, the great and pioneering scientist

John Maynard Keynes, the economist

Sir Arthur Sullivan (of Gilbert and Sullivan)

Ludwig van Beethoven, the composer. Yes, the evidence is strong

Michelangelo Buonarotti, the artist

Coco Chanel, the couturier

King James VI of Scotland and I of England

King Frederick II (Frederick the Great) of Prussia

etc, etc…

A few Americans:

Aaron Copland, the composer

Samuel Barber, the composer

Walt Whitman, the poet

Thomas Eakins, the painter

Allen Ginsberg, the poet

Rod McKuen, the poet and composer

Harry Stack Sullivan, the psychiatrist

Bill Tilden, the tennis champion

Did anyone mention Gertrude Stein?

One is tempted to include James Buchanan, the only bachelor US President, but it’s hard to tell whether his gayness was fact or merely nasty politically-inspired rumour. Still, he would be a fine example of the way people assume an unmarried man must be gay, and of the widespread belief — not only in the US — that public officials must be heterosexual. Which would seem to preclude any mention of George Washington…

• 77. Jerry Pritikin  |  July 7, 2011 at 6:11 am

I like to add myself. For over 40 years, I've been a one man Army, fighting for Gay,Civil,Human,Equal, and even Sports Fans Rights. Too often, my photographs were misused by many gay newspapers, and they didn't even give me photo-credit. I have found that many so called gay leaders,aren't! Like Stuart Milk, who has made a great living off his Uncle's name. Believe me, many gay pioneers were never given credit for their contributions to the movement.

• 78. Michael in SF  |  July 7, 2011 at 12:54 pm

AFA sent a hilarious action alert. (I sadly ended up on their email distro list by accident.)

Headline: "Tell Gov. Brown to not sign 'gay' glorification bill" Glorification? Seriously?

The rest of it is peppered with scare quotes. It's long, but I'll copy the whole thing here. It made me laugh.
    State lawmakers have approved S.B. 48 in a 49-25 vote. The measure would mandate the state's public schools to teach on the accomplishments of lesbian, "gay," bisexual and transgender (LGBT) figures, and it will force teachers to present those individuals in a positive light. With lawmakers' approval, the bill now heads to the desk of Governor Brown, who has 12 days to sign or veto it.

If Governor Brown signs S.B. 48:

1. Textbooks and instructional materials must positively promote "lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender Americans" as "role" models.
    2. Children as young as 6 years old will be taught to admire homosexuality, same-sex "marriages," bisexuality, and transsexuality (cross-dressing and "sex change" operations).
    3. Children will be taught to support the political activism of "Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Intersex and Questioning" (LGBTIQ) political groups, as the bill requires "particular emphasis on portraying the role of these groups in contemporary society."
    4. Teachers will be made to positively portray homosexuality, same-sex "marriages," bisexuality, and transsexuality, because to be silent can bring the charge of "reflecting adversely" or "promoting a discriminatory bias."
    5. School boards will be required to select textbooks and other instructional materials that positively portray "LGBT" lifestyles, because to be silent on these subjects opens them up to charges of "reflecting adversely" or "promoting a discriminatory bias."
    6. Parents will not be notified, nor will they be able to exempt their children, from this new core curriculum.

• 79. AnonyGrl  |  July 7, 2011 at 1:28 pm

My answer to all of that is..

Textbooks promoting positive role models. Check!
    Children being taught the value of tolerance. Check!
    Children learning about political activism and civil rights in our society. Check!
    Teachers being positive. Check!
    School boards choosing positive instruction materials. Check!
    The material being taught to all children, not treated like it is toxic with "notifications" to bigoted parents, thereby presenting the possibility that children will grow up to be less prejudiced than their parents. Check!
    OK! Sounds good to me! Hope he signs it right away.

• 80. Bob  |  July 8, 2011 at 11:49 am

You are free to see that as hilarious while most of the country looks at that and agrees!

• 81. Old Verger  |  July 7, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Gay saints Polyeuct and Nearchus and Aelred of Rievaulx, as well as the founder of Integrity, Louie Crew. andromeda.rutgers.edu/~lcrew/rel.html