What happened yesterday at church

FAIR Education Act

By Arisha Michelle Hatch

When I first saw this YouTube video of Pastor Jack Hibbs I couldn’t believe that he was from my hometown of Chino Hills.  I just had to stop by his church on Sunday.

After an interesting sermon where he talked about racial segregation being wrong, I was shocked when I exited the church and saw a booth setup collecting signatures to overturn the FAIR Education Act, a law that requires California schools to have non-discriminatory instructional materials that integrate age-appropriate, factual information about social movements, current events and the contributions of LGBT people and people with disabilities.

A Stop SB 48 signature-gathering booth at Calvary Chapel
Stop SB 48 booth

When my brother approached the signature gatherers and asked what Stop SB48 was about, he was told that we’re trying to “teach homosexuality to kindergarteners; [and] we don’t think babies need to know anything about that.”

“They will gradually be imbedding it into all of their curriculum from kindergarten on up,” explained another signature gatherer when asked what students might be taught. “It will start off on a rather benign levels and just keep working it on up. They just want homosexuals to basically be appreciated like every other person.”

I couldn’t believe my ears.  We all know that the FAIR Education Act is not about sex-ed, it’s about history.  I wonder how many of my neighbors heard that misinformed message?

Please join me in committing to decline to sign this hateful petition, and help with our campaign to keep it off the ballot.

• 1. Mike Martinez  |  August 22, 2011 at 2:47 pm

You might want to point out that overturning the law would mean that people like Malcom X and Rosa Parks could be excluded from teaching, so could Temple Grandin, Steven Hawking, Alan Turning, as well as Michaelangelo, and dozens of other artists, writers, and performers who were not perfect white epitomes of the "pastor's" social ideal. Imagine teaching about the American Spirit while leaving out Jesse Owen and his triumph at the Berlin Games. Just focusing on the LGBT factors here will do more harm than good. I still believe people are generally good and when they have the full facts explained to them, they usually see the bigger picture.

• 2. Bob  |  August 22, 2011 at 2:49 pm

surely the truth will win out in the end ,,, over bigotry and lies,,,,, my what a busy little church,,,,, religious politics,,,,, churches like these are very damaging,,,, people who believe false preaching,,, and then act on it,,, poor people don't challenge their own spiritual growth and understanding,,,,,, sad

• 3. _BK_  |  August 22, 2011 at 10:50 pm

Oh, the truth will win in the end. You can be sure about that. Now, all this fuss right here, this is about whether the truth wins before or after the next elections. We should have learned after the passage of Proposition 8 that it's our task to make sure the truth is heard and understood. If we're upset at others spreading lies, then we should be motivated to go out and spread the truth.

• 4. Bob  |  August 22, 2011 at 2:51 pm

forgot to say,, thanks so much for attending church and revealing the truth about what they where up to on Sunday,,,, we need more people like you,,,,, exposing what happened at church,,,,,,

• 5. Carpool_Cookie  |  August 22, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Yeah! The fact that the signatures are collected at churches tells you basically all you need to know : (

• 6. karen in kalifornia  |  August 22, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Hey gang, it's the same group as with PropH8. Cavalry Church was one of the main organizers fro that one. Don't fool yourself that this would be any different. This initiative is so going to be on the ballot next year. Time to start getting the story straight….so to speak.

• 7. Alan_Eckert  |  August 22, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Again, I didn't get an email or see this on the RSS feed.

Sharing an update on the Windsor case.

Windsor’s lawyers had filed a motion asking the Court to strike the hearsay documents and today they went a step further, submitting the affidavit of Professor Lisa Diamond, one of the authors cited by Boehner’s lawyers. Remarkably, Diamond claims that “Boehner’s crack legal team misconstrued and distorted her writings.”

The document can be read here (only 3 pages).

• 8. Elizabeth_Oakes  |  August 22, 2011 at 3:06 pm

You mean, those anti-gay people twisted the truth and misrepresented a bunch of statistics in their legal filings??? NO WAY!!!

• 9. Adam Bink  |  August 22, 2011 at 5:31 pm

Send in a note to prop8trial e-mail so our tech people can track it, please.

• 10. Mark Mead-Brewer  |  August 22, 2011 at 3:02 pm

Arisha, you post didn't mention if you or your brother corrected them on their misinformation.
    If so what was the response?

• 11. Eric  |  August 22, 2011 at 3:02 pm

What's a little false witness among friends?

• 12. _BK_  |  August 22, 2011 at 10:53 pm

Eric, do you live in Florida? (I apologize for this off-topic comment.)

• 13. Ronnie  |  August 22, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Ummhummm… yup… the religious reich's "morality" includes lying… If I roll my eyes away from them any further they will be in the back of my head… or maybe pop out of my throat like Geena Davis in "Beetlejuice"…………… 8 / …Ronnie

• 14. NetAmigo  |  August 22, 2011 at 3:30 pm

I've logged with "Like" on both Jack Hibbs Facebook site as well as Stop SB 48's Facebook site. I've left comments several times on their sites and then "Unlike". So far, they have not taken my comments down. They intend to really beat their drum that this law will have teachers indoctrinating children about "gay sex" since this has real traction with the public probably. I suggest others go in and correct such inaccuracies. I have seen a comment or two taken down that were very rude and/or used profanity. Basically, one could spend all one's leisure time responding to their inaccuracies but I think if some can provide thoughtful comments some of them may give their position some thought.

• 15. LCH  |  August 22, 2011 at 4:58 pm

I got myself blocked from the Stop SB48 FB after a few posts. I didn't think I was rude, and definitely not profane, but they may have resented my bringing up the fact that other conservatives harbor the suspicion that Capitol Resources Institute, the group behind Stop SB4, kept an inordinate amount of the money they raised for Prop8. These same conservatives are floating the same suspicion for this effort.

• 16. Ronnie  |  August 22, 2011 at 4:12 pm

This is the America NOM et al & the people in that photo above are perpetuating…….

Iowa Teen Beaten to Death by Mob in Anti-Gay Attack: VIDEO http://www.towleroad.com/2011/08/iowa-teen-beaten

"The fatal beating of 19-year-old Marcellus Andrews last Friday in Waterloo, Iowa (recently in the news for being Michele Bachmann's home town) by a group of unknown assailants began with anti-gay slurs, the WCF Courier reports"

(me) Who's the "barbarian" now, Bachmann's?…..That's right, so called "good" & "moral" "Christians" aka homophobic Neanderthals like you & the people in that photo that perpetuate lies, hate & evil targeted towards LGBT people…… SHAME ON ALL ANTI-GAY PEOPLE….SHAME!!!…. I am so heated over this…..

STOP THE MURDER!!! STOP THE HATE!!!!..RESPECT ALL LIFE GAY & STRAIGHT!!!!!!!!…..

This is the price of hate……. > I …Ronnie

• 17. Ronnie  |  August 23, 2011 at 6:36 am

It was really difficult to eat dinner last night after reading about this. I didn't eat enough & every bite made my stomach turn. I was really heated over this last night & I still am but I've had the time to cool down. Now I would like to say that my thoughts & heart are with his family & friends. May they catch & bring full justice to the monsters that did this to their kin & friend so that they may have whatever amount of closure they may gain. I don't know how a soul can rest in peace after such a brutal attack but I hope his in bliss.

I feel that Marcellus is dancing with all of the Gods, Goddesses, Angels etc. etc. at the welcome party for music icons Nick Ashford & Jerry Leiber. Being hugged & comforted by his family that has passed away before him.

Rest in peace Nick Ashford & Jerry Leiber. Thank you for you art. Rest in peace Marcellus Andrews…..To close this off, here is Ashford & Simpson joined by Phyllis Hyman, Ben E. king, Roberta Flack, Cissy Houston, Paul Shaffer, Stevie Wonder, & Patti LaBelle singing "Reach Out and Touch Somebody's Hand"………… :,,( ……Ronnie:
    [youtube HwDG3mYCbJU&playnext=1&list=PLF660A6E8E219D5B5 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwDG3mYCbJU&playnext=1&list=PLF660A6E8E219D5B5 youtube]

• 18. Rich  |  August 23, 2011 at 8:35 am

Ronnie, you, too, have the soul of an angel.

• 19. Ronnie  |  August 23, 2011 at 11:22 am

Awe….Thank you…. ; ) …Ronnie

• 20. fiona64  |  August 22, 2011 at 4:31 pm

They had a poll signature gathering place on church grounds? Really? My FIRST call would have been to the IRS, right in front of them all.

• 21. karen in kalifornia  |  August 22, 2011 at 5:04 pm

There is nothing illegal about collecting signature for an initiative at a church. So they do it.

• 22. Marlene  |  August 22, 2011 at 6:17 pm

Initiatives and ballot measures are non-partisan, so they're allowed. Now if they had come across a petition for a *candidate*, then they'd be in big trouble!

• 23. kareninkalifornia  |  August 22, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Decline to sign action pales compared to the misinformation being dished out at with aggressive signature gathering. Just like PropH8, it will be all about the children.
    Decline to let them tell lies would be a better effort.

• 24. Adam Bink  |  August 22, 2011 at 5:33 pm

Karen,

There is a pool of people in the state who can sign this to put it on the ballot. Declining to sign to get it on the ballot educates the public to effectively shrink the number of people who would consider signing it. Since we can't control what they "tell," we can ask people not to go along with it.

• 25. Jon  |  August 22, 2011 at 5:07 pm

So you didn't ask them what make them think that?

• 26. JoeRH  |  August 22, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Did anyone correct the people at the booth and clear up their misunderstandings? Or was this just an observe and report type thing? Seems it would help if it was cleared up for people.

• 27. Matthew  |  August 22, 2011 at 7:41 pm

You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

• 28. Fr. Bill  |  August 22, 2011 at 8:00 pm

True, Matthew. People who have never had a second thought are unlikely ever to have had a first one.

• 29. _BK_  |  August 22, 2011 at 10:55 pm

You can't know until you try.

• 30. Jon  |  August 24, 2011 at 11:50 am

Actually, you can. You can't force them to see reason, but if they're willing to use reason, you can show them their position is not based on reason.

• 31. FlexSF  |  August 22, 2011 at 10:01 pm

Arisha, I admire your self control. I would've dumped a can of garbage on the smug, fake smiling, Christianist douch-bag. I hate those assholes.

• 32. _BK_  |  August 24, 2011 at 1:02 am

Know how you feel. I want to cuss right now, but this doesn't seem to be the best place for it. Grrr.

• 33. Sam_Handwich  |  August 23, 2011 at 4:54 am

I work as a church musician. After the Goodridge ruling in Massachusetts there was an effort -led largely by the roman catholic church – to get a Prop 8 style referendum on the ballot to undo the court decision. What i witnessed at one church was even more icky than this … they actually circulated the petition among the seated congregation row by row, at the end of mass. So, at least in the scenario described above, church members had the option of not having it literally shoved in their face.

I also work for a Unitarian Universalist church, and they were engaged in activism on the same issue, but on our side! So please remember that not all churches are out to get us – many liberal congregations are helping the cause!

• 34. Ronnie W.  |  August 24, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Liberal churches = unbiblical churches.

• 35. Ronnie  |  August 24, 2011 at 3:05 pm

That's a lie…… 8 / …Ronnie

• 36. JoeRH  |  August 23, 2011 at 5:46 am

At least you guys explained to the signers what the bill was really about. Oh, you didn't? What a waste of a good opportunity.

• 37. Mark Mead-Brewer  |  August 23, 2011 at 10:16 am

I asked if Arisha spoke to anyone while 'attending church', but didn't get a reply so can only assume no one did. 🙁

• 38. Andrew  |  August 23, 2011 at 10:03 am

"They just want homosexuals to basically be appreciated like every other person."

Ok, this little gem right here just says it all. Did anyone ask WHY it would be soooo bad for homosexuals to be treated just like everyone else?

It really does reveal the mindset that, simply because one is homosexual, these people deem them not worthy. Period. In any sense.

And yet they don't want to be called bigots? C'mon!

• 39. Hanoumatoi  |  August 24, 2011 at 3:00 pm

That was what I saw. That's exactly what we want, homosexuals to be appreciated like every other person. The fact that they're opposed to that strongly implies animus as the real basis for their positions.

• 40. Mark Mead-Brewer  |  August 23, 2011 at 10:13 am

I can't beleive no one corrected the disinformation being given out……what a total waste of an amazing opportunity!!!

• 41. AnonyGrl  |  August 23, 2011 at 11:17 am

Woo hoo! Big earthquake on the east coast… 5.8 in Virginia and Washington DC, we felt it up here in NY and evacuated the building. It wasn't bad here, no damage that I can tell, but a bit scary!

• 42. Ronnie  |  August 23, 2011 at 11:26 am

This is soooo not fair… I didn't feel anything… I guess my old house is sturdier then I thought… hmmm……..<3…Ronnie

• 43. AnonyGrl  |  August 23, 2011 at 11:43 am

It's ok.. it was just some shaking and swaying, lasted about 15 to 30 seconds. But we did evacuate the building, and got to stand around in the sunshine talking about it for a bit, which is better than working!

• 44. Mark M. (Seattle)  |  August 23, 2011 at 11:50 am

It's the work of the Devil!!
    I blame teh Gheyz!!!

hehehehehehehehehe

• 45. AnonyGrl  |  August 23, 2011 at 12:07 pm

If only they would stop stamping their feet when they get annoyed! Good grief!

• 46. Mark M. (Seattle)  |  August 23, 2011 at 1:14 pm

hehehehehehehe
    "temper temper"
    LOL

• 47. Prop 8 Trial Tracker &raq&hellip  |  August 23, 2011 at 2:10 pm

[…] it was their video last week. Then on Sunday, it was their signature-gatherers. Then, yesterday, it was their e-mail and […]

• 48. Church Person  |  August 24, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Calvary Chaple Chino Hills teaches the Bible, and the Bilble condems this sin. In todays times, it is so easy for certain churches, schools, and the goverment to become “politically correct” in the name civil rights. I am a firm believer in civil rights and equility for all, it is not only right, it is christian and Godly.

However as a Christian we also belive in God and follow his laws and the bible. We do not hate homosexual people, we dispise the homosexual act, we hate the sin of homosexuality, it is a perversion of something wonderful that God created, to be experienced between a man and a woman in the bonds of matromoney. I personal dont want my children subjected to a person(s) sexuality whether that person is hetrosexual or homosexual.

If they want to teach children about great accoplishments of person(s) that are homosexual, educate regarding the accmpishment and not the fact that they were “Gay”.