Maggie Gallagher steps aside

NOM Exposed Right-wing

By Arisha Hatch

NOM just announced that Maggie Gallagher has been replaced in her role as Chairman of the Board by John Eastman. Eastman, described as a “distinguished Constitutional law scholar” by NOM, once clerked for Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas and is the former Dean of Chapman University Law School in California.

Gallagher, a co-founder of NOM, will remain on the Board of Directors. You can find out more about NOM’s new Chairman in his profile here.

NOM’s press release is here.

• 1. Alan_Eckert  |  September 22, 2011 at 3:49 pm

"Maggie Gallagher steps aside"

Watch out for her bare feet

• 2. Ann S.  |  September 22, 2011 at 3:56 pm

LOL! And her bag o' snax. She might hit you with it and do serious bodily harm.

• 3. Gregory in SLC  |  September 22, 2011 at 4:17 pm

Maggie's writing a book…where can I pre-order? NOT!

What about my family's liberty Mr. Eastman?
    @a fierce advocate for families and religious liberty

• 4. Ronnie  |  September 22, 2011 at 4:25 pm

"distinguished Constitutional law scholar"….. ROFLMGAO….more like "distinguished benighted anti-American Religious theocratic theory indoctrinated pod person"…….. (rolls eyes)…. subscribing & sharing……

A Memorable Day in Pictures
    The day that "don't ask, don't tell" was repealed was marked by the smiles on the faces of gay and lesbian troops, and the lawmakers who supported them serving openly. http://www.advocate.com/News/A_Memorable_Day_in_P

& The Rev. Al Sharpton interviews Major Mike Almy & Captain Sarah Pezzat on the End of DADT (video) …… <3…Ronnie:
    [youtube XsZzM0o-Dcc http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsZzM0o-Dcc youtube]

• 5. Gregory in SLC  |  September 22, 2011 at 6:13 pm

Awesome video Ronnie 😀 ! both Captain Pezzat and Major Almy are class acts!

• 6. Steve  |  September 23, 2011 at 8:26 am

He still has better professional credentials than Maggy. At least on the surface. That's all that counts. And I guess that's why they picked someone like him

• 7. 415kathleenk  |  September 22, 2011 at 4:26 pm

hmph new guy is from some law school i never heard of in Orange COunty CA. Lessee

would that make him, i dunno, a right wing republican???

• 8. Ann S.  |  September 22, 2011 at 4:55 pm

I've thought ill of Chapman U. because of Eastman, but I just looked it up and it might be an OK small school: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chapman_University

(Still, I don't really want our daughter going there. Because of Eastman. Irrational? Maybe, but there it is.)

• 9. Paul  |  September 22, 2011 at 4:49 pm

CatholicVote just had their app go live in the apple store so they can feed their anti-gay propaganda to people on the go. I'd urge everyone to log in, download the free app, and submit a one star review. You can also report the content as offensive to apple. CatholicVote's Thomas Peters works for the anti-gay hate group NOM, so the application is probably nothing more than an extension of that vile group.

• 10. Mark M. (Seattle)  |  September 22, 2011 at 6:01 pm

That's some scary shit! Reading the description of the app on Catholicvote.org makes my blood run cold…

“It was an incredible opportunity for Little i Apps to be a part of this project. We are excited about the potential impact an app like this could have on American politics” says Patrick Leinen, co-founder of Little i Apps. “Imagine what could happen if every Catholic voter used the Contact My Representative option to contact their congressional representative or senator before a critical vote. With the launch of this app, CatholicVote.org has given voters an incredible tool. We can’t wait to see how they use it!”

• 11. Jon  |  September 22, 2011 at 4:51 pm

"[Clarence Thomeas] discusses these issues almost exclusively with his law clerks, whom he chooses for their ideological compatibility"

According to Jeffrey Toobin's recent item, which may be found here: http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/08/29/110
    The New Yorker, August 29 2011, Jeffrey Toobin
    ANNALS OF LAW PARTNERS: Will Clarence and Virginia Thomas succeed
    in killing Obama’s health-care plan?

We may infer that Eastman is a right wing ideologue.

We might also guess that his goal will be to get the suit
    to a now right-leaning Supreme Court.

It's also a reasonable guess that he's hoping merely to
    raise his political profile, advancing his next run for office.
    And that he's well aware he's joining a losing cause and
    that works out fine for him, because then all he has to do
    is say he fought the fight.

• 12. Ed Cortes  |  September 23, 2011 at 6:26 am

At first, I read it as "whom he chooses for their idiotic compatibility"!!

• 13. Chris in Lathrop  |  September 22, 2011 at 5:30 pm

From NOM's press release (italics are my comments): "people frequently turn to John Eastman to advocate a … pro-family position. He will be a great asset to NOM."

Oxymoron much???

John Eastman stated, "Marriage has quite correctly been described as a bedrock of civilization. Protecting the institution of marriage

Protecting marriage from what,John? Please!

is a critically important issue, and I'm honored to join such distinguished company

Is 'distinguished' now code for 'liars and bigots'?

on the Board of such a phenomenally effective organization

Missed their bus tours, did you, John?

as the National Organization for Marriage."

So, basically we have a male version of Maggie with a law degree running the show, and Mrs. Srivastav still gets a job making millions just to hurt people unnecessarily and unconstitutionally.

• 14. Kathleen  |  September 22, 2011 at 6:01 pm

UPDATE: Mass DOMA cases

DOJ files superseding opening brief. The DOJ filed a motion to withdraw its opening brief in these cases. That motion was denied, but the Court gave permission for the gov to file a "superseding" brief. Here 'tis: http://www.scribd.com/doc/65986861

• 15. Doug  |  September 22, 2011 at 6:16 pm

Thanks so much, Kathleen. Nice bedtime reading.

• 16. Leo  |  September 22, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Wasn't BLAG's opening brief also due today?

• 17. Kathleen  |  September 22, 2011 at 8:00 pm

Yes, Leo. It just came in. See below.

• 18. MichGuy  |  September 23, 2011 at 12:28 pm

Delayed update on the other not well known DOMA Court Cases. (Theres so many cases its hard to keep track)

UPDATE:
    Dragovich et al v. United States Department of the Treasury et al – Document 94 http://law.justia.com/cases/federal/district-cour

UPDATE:
    Lui v. Holder (DOMA Challenge)- DEFENDANTS’ OPPOSITION TO BIPARTISAN LEGAL ADVISORY GROUP’S MOTION TO DISMISS http://metroweekly.com/poliglot/Defendants%20Oppo

• 19. chris hogan  |  September 22, 2011 at 6:18 pm

How about we keep tabs on the "traffic" for this application and then use it to embarrass the Catholic Church? When more people start leaving the pews, I'll bet they'll get a phone call from the Vatican to go back to playing Angry Birds. Can we find the identities of the users? Maybe we'll finally get an honest list of their donors.

• 20. Elizabeth_Oakes  |  September 23, 2011 at 11:54 am

I dunno, an app seems like a good idea. Good enough to steal,actually. Courage Campaign can develop a similar app for fundraising and political influence too, you know….unless there's one already I don't know about? Add a section about how to have a "Courageous Conversation" and you've really expanded the reach of that part of our program…..

• 21. Mark M. (Seattle)  |  September 23, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Any idea how to write an app or know anyone who does?

• 22. Reformed  |  September 22, 2011 at 6:26 pm

Maybe the uncouth bare footing and snack wrapper crackling got to be to much for the (dis)extinguished organization?

• 23. Sheryl, Mormon Mom  |  September 23, 2011 at 11:24 am

Was thinking along the same lines. I would think that even people who are anti equal rights for the LGBT community understand protocol at plays. That was definitely not a good move on Maggie's part. NOM knows they don't need that kind of press.

• 24. Elizabeth_Oakes  |  September 23, 2011 at 11:57 am

I'm thinking it might be a health issue along with her purported book deadline. I grant that cell phone cameras take lousy photos, but even taking that into account Miss Maggie's not looking too good in those pix at the theatre. Funny timing though, you have a point there.

• 25. Reformed  |  September 22, 2011 at 6:28 pm

Anyone care to join a boycott of "blood" peaches? If I ever have to travel through Georgia again, I will fuel at the previous boarder and close my wallet until i happy reach the other side. I am also going to research my purchases to be sure that they are not tainted by Georgia until they reform. I am Troy Davis.

• 26. truthspew  |  September 22, 2011 at 6:50 pm

You know, for someone who is allegedly a constitutional law professor he really ought to know better than to oppose the rights of we LGBT people.

• 27. Gregory in SLC  |  September 22, 2011 at 7:14 pm

Hell yea!

• 28. DaveP  |  September 22, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Or for that matter, he ought to know better than to oppose ANYONE's equal rights. The fact that he chooses to specifically work to oppress LGBT Americans says a lot about him.

• 29. DaveP  |  September 22, 2011 at 7:21 pm

Oh yeah, BTW I'm off on my rain forest trip tomorrow morning and I won't be able to check in here at P8TT (or anywhere else on the internet). It feels odd. I really don't want to miss any of the good news that has been happening here so regularly lately, but I realize that's kinda selfish. I sure don't want it to stop just because I'll be away. You guys keep celebrating all the progress while I'm gone and you can dish all the details to me when I get back, OK? See you in about three weeks.

• 30. Ann S.  |  September 22, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Have a great trip, Dave!!

• 31. Mark M. (Seattle)  |  September 23, 2011 at 8:41 am

Be safe and take LOTS of pix!

• 32. Kathleen  |  September 22, 2011 at 7:59 pm

UPDATE: Mass DOMA cases

BLAG Opening Brief:

• 33. Sam_Handwich  |  September 23, 2011 at 6:41 am

Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-FL) becomes the first Republican House Co-Sponsor of the Respect for Marriage Act, the bill that would repeal DOMA

• 34. truthspew  |  September 23, 2011 at 9:40 pm

Oh yeah, she stepped down so she could focus on playing victim with her new 'group'. You know, having endured harassment, threats, etc. But she won't back down, not until someone mows her down!