NOM’s new Chair: Cited Judge Walker’s ruling as path to SCOTUS win (for us)

NOM Exposed Prop 8 trial Right-wing

Jeremy’s been doing great work looking at the history of NOM’s new chair -Adam

Cross-posted at Good As You

By Jeremy Hooper

NOM’s new Chair, John Eastman, speaking to the Los Angeles Times back in August of 2010:

At least some legal experts said [Judge Walker’s] lengthy recitation of the testimony could bolster his ruling during the appeals to come. Higher courts generally defer to trial judges’ rulings on factual questions that stem from a trial, although they still could determine that he was wrong on the law.

John Eastman, a conservative scholar who supported Proposition 8, said Walker’s analysis and detailed references to trial evidence were likely to persuade U.S. Supreme Court Justice Anthony M. Kennedy, a swing vote on the high court, to rule in favor of same-sex marriage.

“I think Justice Kennedy is going to side with Judge Walker,” said the former dean of Chapman University law school.

Ban on gay marriage overturned [LA Times]

So will Eastman stick to this, now that he’s in a position that’s dependent on criticizing Walker’s ruling and fundraising around the idea that a Supreme Court victory for equality is in no way inevitable? Or will NOM put all of its eggs towards delaying the appeals process, in hopes that another Justice might retire under a theoretical Republican President?

Should be interesting, even if simultaneously maddening.

• 1. Phil L  |  September 24, 2011 at 1:04 pm

Heh… I have a feeling that he will try to disavow this and that the 2000 (give or take several hundred, based on their counting ability) NOM supporters will deny he had anything to do with those statements.

• 2. chris hogan  |  September 24, 2011 at 2:39 pm

I hate to say it, but I think this new guy was chosen to be methodical, calculating and able to put on the appearance of rationality, which makes him more dangerous than maggie or brian. Think Schubert Flint, Inc. That is why we must be on the lookout for new, focus-group tuned propaganda dot that we can fight it before it gains traction.

• 3. Elizabeth_Oakes  |  September 24, 2011 at 5:59 pm

Add to that his legal background, something Maggie lacks. I think it's dawning that the key battleground is going to be the federal courts and SCOTUS, no matter how many ballot initiatives they fund.

• 4. Don Gaudard  |  September 25, 2011 at 1:10 pm

I've read many of his pleadings over the years; he is really, really dangerous. We have to be carefule because he is also really really smart. For me, it's "Forewarned is forearmed"

• 5. FlexSF  |  September 26, 2011 at 6:22 am

Wasn't Maggie a PR agent? The hiring a successful attorney to fill her shoes is questionable.

• 6. jpmassar  |  September 24, 2011 at 3:37 pm

NFL Adds LGB Discrimination Protection to Players' Contract

• 7. FlexSF  |  September 24, 2011 at 4:39 pm

I'm guessing they will continue as long as there are enough idiots to give them money. I would say or do anything, as long as it is legal, for a price. (I wouldn't be a professional, sexist, racist, or homophobe)

• 8. Alan_Eckert  |  September 24, 2011 at 4:42 pm

• 9. Ronnie  |  September 25, 2011 at 6:24 am

<3…Ronnie

• 10. Michelle Evans  |  September 24, 2011 at 6:12 pm

It's been difficult to not be a regular part of the Prop 8 community, but ever since the switch over I have not been able to get regular access. I find it sad that I can continue to receive regular updates from NOM, but not get anything from P8TT unless I manually go in and check on occasion.

But that is not why I am here today. I felt I had to comment about John Eastman. I have met this man on several occasions and participated in an all-day Prop 8 discussion at Chapman University in Orange, California, where he used to teach law, which was prior to the 2008 election which left us all so devastated.

That day he had people from both sides of the Prop 8 question at the school to discuss the issue. It should be noted that the person he retained to be the proponent of Prop 8 was a Mormon. When I had a chance to speak I asked Eastman and the Mormon one simple question: "Am I a human being?" It was the first time that day that both of them were at a loss for words. They eventually stammered back with "Of course you are," to answer my question, but they never thought of changing their minds when it came to the marriage between my self and Cherie.

Eastman is a perfect person to take over at NOM. To be in such a position you have to be an unfeeling jerk, and truly be able to tell yourself every day that the people he is directly harming are indeed not really human beings–just like Brian and Maggie and all the rest on their side say over and over again.

• 11. Chris in Lathrop  |  September 24, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Michelle! I've missed you! Sorry to hear you're having trouble getting your updates. 🙁

• 12. Michelle Evans  |  September 24, 2011 at 8:35 pm

Hi Chris. Yes, it's been frustrating to be sure. Really hated losing my connection to our community, but everything I tried on my end never seemed to do any good. I seem to recall Adam said there were a few others that couldn't connect any longer either.

• 13. FlexSF  |  September 24, 2011 at 8:42 pm

Are you the Michelle Evans published in "That's Revolting"? It was required reading for an LGBT English class. My writing still sucks, but the content of the class was rich.

• 14. Michelle Evans  |  September 24, 2011 at 9:49 pm

I am a writer, but that's not one of mine. I just finished a book which will hopefully be out about this time next year, but it is aerospace history and not LGBT. Interestingly, however, is that in my book I have a lot of background of what led to Prop 8 because there is a direct connection between that and the history of the aircraft of which I was writing.

• 15. Gregory in SLC  |  September 24, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Lovely to hear from you michelle! Thank you for sharing insight about Eastman. Love to you and Cherie!

• 16. Michelle Evans  |  September 24, 2011 at 9:50 pm

Much appreciated and I'll pass that on to Cherie. Really miss you all.

• 17. Tasty Salamanders  |  September 25, 2011 at 5:33 am

"For him to be a dean of a law school (at that time) and to not understand the harm that Prop 8 was to foster against citizens of our state was a horrible thing. It shows he learned nothing of what law is supposed to be about–protecting people–all people!"

Oh no, I think he fully understands, he just doesn't care. The haters have an agenda fuelled by hate and no law will stand in their way, sure they will have to work around it and twist and distort it in order to spread their hate but that's as far as their respect for the law goes. Basically they only respect the law as a tool for getting what they want.

• 18. Sagesse  |  September 25, 2011 at 7:03 am

So good to hear from you Michelle. Hope all's well with you and Cherie.

• 19. Kate  |  September 25, 2011 at 7:30 am

Michelle! How absolutely wonderful to see you surface — I've been so worried about you and Cherie being OK.

• 20. Kathleen  |  September 25, 2011 at 3:21 pm

Michelle, wonderful to see you here! Have you been getting my email? I never get a response, which is okay, but I'm just not sure if they're getting through. The most recent one went out yesterday morning.

Hugs to you and Cherie,
    Kathleen

• 21. Michelle Evans  |  September 25, 2011 at 8:56 pm

Kathleen, I got one email on Saturday to sign up for the Equality Case Files. Is this the one you are referring to? I signed up for updates (like here at the P8TT) but haven't received the confirmation email. This is the only one I can think of that may have come from you that I have received.

Now that my book is completed, I was hoping to spend more time back here with friends, but still can't get any updates. Remains as extremely frustrating.

• 22. Sagesse  |  September 24, 2011 at 7:45 pm

This Is What DADT’s Repeal Looks Like In Military Regulations

• 23. MichGuy  |  September 24, 2011 at 11:09 pm

If you go to this weblink and search for all of the policies that were changed on 9/20/2011 you will see that there are actually several seperate policy numbers that were changed as a result of the DADT repeal

• 24. James Sweet  |  September 25, 2011 at 5:22 am

It's always been strange to me that people are completely incapable of separating "I would like X to happen" from "X is likely to happen." Oh sure, confirmation bias and all that, and just a general attitude of optimism, will make people more likely to believe the things they want to happen will happen, I get that… but so many people just cannot seem to separate them under any circumstances, whether it be the NOM asshats, sports fans ("my team went 4-12 last year, but this year we're gonna win the Superbowl!"), or yes, even occasionally a comment at P8TT… I just don't know.

Kudos to this guy — as far as it goes — that he's at least able to separate his hateful beliefs from his legal predictions, or at least was able to at one time. I agree with others though that he will have to bury it now that he is chair, though. Far too many NOM supporters would view this sort of analysis as a betrayal of their values, somehow.

• 25. loaferguy  |  September 25, 2011 at 7:41 am

Hundreds Attend Funeral for Jamey Rodemeyer: VIDEO:

• 26. Ronnie  |  September 25, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Gaga's Emotional Tribute to Jamey Rodemeyer http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2011/09/2

Lady Gaga dedicated her performance of "Hair" at the "I Heart Radio" concert in Las Vegas last night to Jamey Rodemyer (RIP)……Here is the video….<3…Ronnie:
    [youtube aER4KfBvpwA http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aER4KfBvpwA youtube]

• 27. Ronnie  |  September 25, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Paws Up Forever: Little Monsters Make Tribute Video For Gay Teen Who Committed Suicide (Video) http://instinctmagazine.com/blogs/blog/paws-up-fo

"Little Monsters across the globe composed messages for Jamey Rodemeyer, the Buffalo teen who committed suicide after warnings that he was being bullied for being gay. It's notable because he considered Lady Gaga an inspiration and she was included in one of his last messages. The heartbreaking and heartwarming video after the jump.

The "Paws Up Forever" project appears to be a Little Monster led movement to get things changed at the legislative level, as #MakeALawForJamey has been showing up across Twitter, Facebook and YouTube."

Here is the "Paws Up Forever Project" video….<3…Ronnie:
    [youtube O8atm4rpwIM http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8atm4rpwIM youtube]

• 28. Sagesse  |  September 25, 2011 at 5:19 pm

Same-sex marriage vote key for NC gay pride parade

• 29. Sagesse  |  September 25, 2011 at 5:47 pm

Interesting Developments in Gay Marriage in Minneosta

• 30. MichGuy  |  September 25, 2011 at 7:28 pm

Here is a link to the case documents so far http://www.marrymeminnesota.org/casedocs.html

• 31. FlexSF  |  September 25, 2011 at 11:15 pm

Here is a short, fun, legal, gay marriage link.

• 32. Sagesse  |  September 26, 2011 at 4:18 am

High profile coverage.

Retailers Are Put on the Spot Over Anti-Gay Aid

• 33. FlexSF  |  September 26, 2011 at 6:28 am

Because of this link, I had my morning dose of disgust with my instant coffee. “This is economic terrorism, say Huckabee." Lets bury the stinger deeper, and make these shit weasels scream!

• 34. Gregory in SLC  |  September 26, 2011 at 6:43 am

This may have already been posted…. "Obama Touts Gay Rights In U.N. Speech"

• 35. Ronnie  |  September 26, 2011 at 7:58 am

This is the violent, hateful, & destructive America NOM et al is creating, & perpetuating……

Vandal Throws Rocks, Note Through Windshields of Gay Seattle Couple, Says 'Get the F**k Out of Neighborhood http://www.towleroad.com/2011/09/vandals-throw-ro

"A gay West Seattle couple were targeted in an anti-gay hate crime over the weekend, KING5 reports. Lyle Evans and Chris Ilovar woke on Friday after hearing a noise outside their home. What they found was that windows on both of their cars had been smashed. One car was in their driveway, one was in the street. Attached to one of the rocks was a hateful note, signed KKK."

(me) Such "good" & "moral" Christians, & trust that they do identify as Christian since their little hate note mentioned that the manmade Bible says something about something, demanding that this couple get out of "their" neighborhood……. wait there is more….

Suspect Sought in Brooklyn Hate Crime http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2011/09/2

"“We are disgusted and horrified to hear about this incident,” said the elected officials. “Hate crimes hurt everyone, and any act of violence against one member of the LGBT community is an act of violence against us all. Too often we hear about acts of violence committed against LGBT people in our city. We must put an end to the intolerance that breeds this hatred. New York City prides itself on diversity and acceptance of all its residents and this act goes against the very fiber of what our city stands for.”

(me) "We must put an end to the intolerance that breeds this hatred."….. then arrest "Senator" Ruben Diaz, who has violated his oath of office, & his cronies who publicly stated that LGBT human beings are "worthy of death"… put an end to NOM et al's intolerance that breeds this hatred & violence….. But you know it is the prop 8 witnesses & supporters, & NOM et al including Maggie G's "Marriage" Anti-deceny Alliance whose lives are in "danger" <— BULLSHITE!!!…. XI…Ronnie

• 36. Alan_Eckert  |  September 26, 2011 at 8:57 am

I'm willing to bet that the person who signed it as the KKK is not really affiliated with that group. It just provides a scapegoat and directs the attention (slightly) from who really perpetrated the crime.