A small victory for LGBT couples in Australia

Marriage equality

By Jacob Combs

Gay marriage is most likely still a ways off in Australia (even though the ruling Labor party amended its platform in support of marriage equality in December), but a new government policy will make life a little bit easier for LGBT couples in the country.  In many countries which allow marriage equality, including Portugal, Spain, Norway and South Africa, applicants for a marriage license are required to produce a Certificate of No Impediment (CNI) which states that both individuals are over 18 and unmarried.  In the past, the Australian government has refused to grant CNIs to same-sex couples, effectively prohibiting them from being married abroad.

Yesterday, Australia’s attorney-general, Nicola Roxon, announced that same-sex couples will be able to apply for CNIs starting February 1.  The marriages these couples enter into abroad still won’t be recognized by the Australian government.

A small victory, indeed, but an important one for Australia’s LGBT citizens on the road to full marriage equality.

• 1. Sagesse  |  January 27, 2012 at 10:39 am

@

• 2. AnonyGrl  |  January 27, 2012 at 11:26 am

Every little step counts!

• 3. Steve  |  January 27, 2012 at 1:07 pm

This is pretty important for Australians living abroad. Until now they couldn't move permanently to certain countries and marry there

• 4. Fr. Bill  |  January 27, 2012 at 1:39 pm

OT but any news or reasoned speculation on the 9th Circuit Prop8 and Golinski rulings? I understand SF asked for advance notice.

• 5. _BK_  |  January 27, 2012 at 10:07 pm

For Perry I've heard nothing, unfortunately. I've been playing little math games in my head to pass the time, trying to calculate exactly when a release would be probable. And to be honest, I have absolutely no idea. The latest information is accurate – it could be any day. And last I heard, advanced notice need not be given to anyone. I seriously doubt that the ruling will come later than February. That would be dragging the case out far longer than most people have stomach for. But every other prediction of mine is an utter crapshot. Sorry for not being very helpful, haha.

• 6. Straght4Equality  |  January 29, 2012 at 12:37 pm

OT: NOM Blog says that the NH bill to outlaw same-sex marriage will come up Feb. 1. It is NH HB437. Has anyone heard anything about the date it is to be considered?

• 7. Bob Barnes  |  January 29, 2012 at 4:46 pm

In a couple of articles today, the word is that they don't have the anti-veto vote. But to answer your question, the official word was that the was delayed till at least February, it was NOM that gave the 2/1 date.

• 8. Straght4Equality  |  January 29, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Thanks. I guess we'll find out soon. I certainly hope they can't override a veto. I suppose the sooner this is behind us, the better — unless the anti-equality folks win.

• 9. Truth Wins Out - Australi&hellip  |  January 31, 2012 at 11:30 am

[…] Ex-Gay Watch and Prop 8 Trial Tracker] Tags: Australia, marriage equality Comments […]