Open thread: Just arrived in Washington DC for tomorrow’s LGBT event

Community/Meta

By Scottie Thomaston

I just landed in Washington DC for the “LGBT Leaders” events tomorrow, including meetings with the White House and a dinner at Vice President Biden and Dr. Biden’s residence.

Anything you want me to ask the White House regarding LGBT legal cases or LGBT equality? Tell me so right here!

We are also doing meetings tomorrow with some LGBT organizations who want to talk to attendees of the LGBT Leaders event, and several groups who are invaluable to LGBT legal equality and LGBT rights in our court system will be among the participants. I plan on talking to National Center for Lesbian Rights (who brought the DOMA challenge Cozen O’Connor v. Tobits, and are involved as amicus in several other cases. I’ll also be speaking to the folks at National Center for Transgender Equality.

As I said, if you have any questions you want me to ask, or thoughts I should share, please feel free to leave them in the comments!

• 1. Derek Williams  |  September 18, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Just tell them I love them and everything they're doing.

• 2. Rich  |  September 18, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Please remind them that ALL gay adults were kids once just as ALL straight adults were kids once. In our society and, certainly, in our schools, we tell ALL our kids that if you play by the rules, study hard, contribute to your society, be kind, cooperate with your peers, love your neighbor you can, and will be encouraged by adults, to achieve the American Dream. One component of the American Dream is that, once you find the person you love and want to spend the rest of your life with, you can marry this person and set up a home and a family. After 38 years with kids as a teacher, it galls me that I can't say that to gay kids. I can promise them every other aspect of the American Dream but I can't say that marriage and all the joys, responsibilities and heartache are available to them. But they want it because all of us know that the challenges and joys of marriage are a life-affirming essential part of humanity.
    It's time to talk about kids; it's time to say that ALL kids discover their sexuality before they are 18. It's time to declare that gay kids are leaving the closet in droves and they are slamming the door behind them. They are not going back. It is imperative that we, adults, support them in this. Yes, we will be vilified for "indoctrinating kids in our schools", but , in truth, I have to believe that it is those who are locked in their faith or simply hates gays that are quickly moving to the minority.
    In short: tell the powers that be that gay adults were gay kids first. The American Dream was always suppose to be for everyone and marriage is part of that dream for those who want it, including gay kids.

• 3. Michael Garcia  |  September 18, 2012 at 5:00 pm

please let them know about:
    – Uniting American Families Act (UAFA)
    and the plight of bi-national couples who are either living in exile, or in constant fear of separation due to their immigration status.
    It is about time that the US Immigration policies recognize that we are families….and deserve to be together without fear or separated from our love ones

• 4. Gregory in SLC  |  September 18, 2012 at 6:09 pm

DOMA must die!

• 5. Gregory in SLC  |  September 18, 2012 at 6:13 pm

p.s. hope the torrential rain in D.C. is not being too problematic for you Scottie! Here in Salt Lake City, UT we are having Idyllic fall weather, 80 degrees, no clouds, no wind.

• 6. Mike in Baltimore  |  September 18, 2012 at 6:40 pm

I'm not in DC (I live in Baltimore, a bit more than a block from Baltimore's Penn Station, which is about 40 miles from Union Station in DC), but close enough to have a good idea of what's happening (weather-wise) in DC. Plus the radar for DC also covers Baltimore (Dulles radar).

All day today in Baltimore, we had low clouds, drizzly, then torrential rain, then drizzly, torrential rain, tornado warnings, heavy winds and gusts, then calm winds, high humidity, etc. Oh, and did I say torrential rain?

Not really pleasant weather. The weather forecasters, though, say when the front passes this evening, the weather will clear, the humidity will drastically drop, and the highs will be in the low to mid-70s for the next few days.

Whatever weather that hits Baltimore almost always also hits DC, and vice versa. Many times it can vary a bit in the 'fine' details, but if it snows in DC, it will also snow in Baltimore, especially the snows of 1.5 feet or more. If it rains in DC, it usually also rains in Baltimore. If it's windy in Baltimore, it's rare that DC also isn't windy. Etc.

• 7. Gregory in SLC  |  September 18, 2012 at 6:54 pm

wow! sounds intense!

• 8. Gregory in SLC  |  September 19, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Don't know if you are an Adam Lambart fan, but I appreciate his fund-raising efforts to help Maryland:

• 9. Mike in Baltimore  |  September 19, 2012 at 6:36 pm

I must confess that I'm not that much of an Adam Lambart fan, but I do appreciate everyone's fund raising efforts (for Democratic candidates [except idiots like Delegate Burns] and marriage equality in the state).

• 10. David  |  September 18, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Good luck! Don't be shy ask the hard questions.
    I'm addicted to your site .

• 11. Charles  |  September 19, 2012 at 4:30 am

Please ask him if federal employees will soon be able to have their partners and spouses on their insurance. Right now my partner is without health insurance since his job does not offer it. We would both like him to be on my federal policy.

Thanks!

• 12. karen in kalifornia  |  September 19, 2012 at 12:55 pm

+1000
    The least our own government can do for us.

• 13. Str8Grandmother  |  September 19, 2012 at 5:19 am

ENDA
    ENDA
    ENDA
    ENDA

• 14. AnonyGrl  |  September 19, 2012 at 6:13 am

TOTALLY OFF TOPIC

Chick-Fil-A… we won.

Chick-Fil-A announced that their WinShip foundation will no longer be giving money to anti-gay hate groups. Which is all we were really asking of them. They also circulated a memo informing all franchise owners that company policy is to treat all customers and employees equally, regardless of race, gender, orientation…

We do make a difference, folks!

• 15. Derek Williams  |  September 19, 2012 at 6:22 am

says "Error establishing a database connection"

• 16. AnonyGrl  |  September 19, 2012 at 7:01 am

Try this one?

• 17. Derek Williams  |  September 19, 2012 at 7:04 am

Thanks – that works! Your original link worked for me the first time but broke on every subsequent attempt – maybe it has too many people trying to access it at once.

I found this one too:

• 18. Sagesse  |  September 19, 2012 at 7:25 am

Dump NOM. I like it. Can't wait to see the reaction :).

• 19. AnonyGrl  |  September 19, 2012 at 8:14 am

I tried to post something over there. I am still banned. They don't like me over there telling the truth. Gee, I wonder why?

LOL.

• 20. Gregory in SLC  |  September 19, 2012 at 10:36 am

Whoa! This is the first time I've heard about this unexpected. Thanks anony! Makes me glad for my niece who is a CFA franchise owner (who posts Glee, Modern Family and Ellen as her favorite TV shows).

Like Sagesse mentions….interesting to see the reaction from all the Mike Huckabee bigots who showed up to support CFA

• 21. Jay  |  September 19, 2012 at 6:16 am

Scottie, we are proud of you. We know you will represent us well. Please do tell the Vice President and Second Lady et al. how much we appreciate their support on our behalf. Please also urge the President to make ENDA a priority in the next Congress, especially if (as I hope) the Democrats regain control of the House of Representatives. If we don't, please urge the President to issue an executive order requiring all federal contractors to have nondiscrimination policies that cover sexual orientation and gender identity.

• 22. MFargo  |  September 19, 2012 at 7:54 am

Jeffrey Toobin has a summation of what the SCOTUS has to consider regarding same sex marriage at Daily Comment on "The New Yorker's" site:

• 23. AnonyGrl  |  September 19, 2012 at 8:10 am

I am so happy for you Scottie! What a wonderful opportunity to help us all get our voices heard! As someone who has lobbied my state senators, I know how exciting it is getting involved even on that lower level, and am jealous of you right now (but only in a good way! I don't want to take anything away from you, just wish I could be there with you!)

If you get a chance, please do tell the President that we thank him for his support. Ask him also how he plans to move forward on the Respect for Marriage Act, whether he plans to work to get it passed or is simply rely on the Supreme Court to overturn DOMA for him, and if he is going to move forward, how can we help?

I do understand if he is not looking to push the issue for the next couple of months so as not to drive away any conservative voters who are uncomfortable with Romney right now and so not wanting to focus a spotlight on the marriage equality issue, but I would like to know what his future plans are, especially considering that it is now a plank in the official platform.

• 24. Kay Whitlock  |  September 19, 2012 at 8:11 am

Just sending you every good wish in the world, Scottie. I'm sure you'll have exactly the right words whenever you need them. All of you, and the Vice President and Jill Biden are in my heart and thoughts.

• 25. Bob  |  September 19, 2012 at 12:02 pm

off topic but interesting and relevant

• 26. Bob  |  September 19, 2012 at 12:04 pm

sorry the news article is about the new Canadian census, showing gay couples rushing to the alter,, and the changing face of the family,,,,, interesting read