My flight leaves early Tuesday morning for the Sixth Circuit hearings!

LGBT Legal Cases Marriage equality Marriage Equality Trials

Hey everyone,

I’m leaving early tomorrow to go to Cincinnati, Ohio, to cover arguments in six marriage cases at the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals. On Wednesday, the appeals court will hear over three hours of arguments: two cases from Ohio, two from Kentucky, and one each from Michigan and Tennessee.

I’m really excited, and I know we’re all looking forward to the live chat that we’ll be doing.

These cases will be a big test: the panel is conservative-leaning, so it’s an opportunity to put the arguments for marriage equality before judges who may be more skeptical.

We’ve almost reached our goal, and just a little more will put us over the top and help us cover expenses in Cincinnati. Every little bit helps!

With your help we can keep the site running smoothly through these historic appeals, and we can make sure Equality on Trial is there to cover the next cases in the coming months.

On a more personal note, somewhere between flying to Netroots Nation this year and attending the signing of the LGBT contractor executive order at the White House, my laptop decided to stop working. It’s in need of repair, and any money left over from our trip to the Sixth Circuit will also go toward repair. I’d be grateful to be able to have a full time working computer again.

I’m looking forward to my trip tomorrow! These are really exciting times.

Scottie and the EOT team.

• 1. hopalongcassidy  |  August 4, 2014 at 8:59 am

Scottie, before you pay somebody a bunch of money to fix that laptop (if you do decide to, make sure to get a price up front), you might want to look at some of the factory refurbed offerings from Dell like http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Latitude-E6410-Lapto

I got one of these a couple weeks ago for a friend and it looks like brand new and works perfectly plus it has the same warranty as a new one. Often it costs more to 'fix' these things than to replace them…
    just a heads up

• 2. JayJonson  |  August 4, 2014 at 9:11 am

Safe travels, Scottie. Looking forward to your reports.

• 3. brandall  |  August 4, 2014 at 10:31 am

Jealous. But, please travel safely.

• 4. Jen_in_MI  |  August 4, 2014 at 12:53 pm

I'm counting on you, Scottie – I had planned to be there too, but my wife's diabetes is making that impossible. It makes the anxiety over these hearings a little less because I know that someone I really respect will be there taking it all in. THANK YOU for the work you and the EoT staff and community do. I'm very grateful for all of you. Safe travels!

• 5. Margo Schulter  |  August 4, 2014 at 2:07 pm

Scottie, if you get the opportunity, please give me warmest regards to April DeBoer and Jayne Rowse. And kudos to Equality Michigan!

• 6. Margo Schulter  |  August 4, 2014 at 2:08 pm

That should be “please give my warmest regards…”

• 7. DaveM_OH  |  August 5, 2014 at 6:34 am

Scottie,
    The Queen City welcomes you 🙂
    Hope you enjoy your time here; looking forward to the live chat. I have to work instead of coming to the Court, so I'm glad you'll be there.

• 8. brandall  |  August 5, 2014 at 7:09 am

OMG, you are not kidding….the irony…LMAO

The classic nickname "Queen City" is taken from the 1854 poem Catawba Wine. In it, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow wrote of the city: "And this Song of the Vine, This greeting of mine, The winds and the birds shall deliver, To the Queen of the West, In her garlands dressed, On the banks of the Beautiful River."[7] In the 1850s, Cincinnati was the largest westernmost inland city from the East Coast.

• 9. brandall  |  August 5, 2014 at 6:41 am

Look at the fundraising thermometer above….it's at 101%! Thank you everyone.

• 10. RLsfba  |  August 5, 2014 at 8:31 am

Scottie,

I'm looking forward to your reports. You're going to my home state, I grew up in Cleveland. Now I'm in Oakland and will BART to San Francisco for the hearings on Sept. 8.

Thank you all.

• 11. Corey_from_MD  |  August 5, 2014 at 12:18 pm

Early predictions request: given the composition of the court and its history of prior ruling, any guesses as what to expect? Likely outcomes of all of these cases?

• 12. weshlovrcm  |  August 6, 2014 at 3:34 am

Go Scottie Go! : ) Looking forward to your insightful comments.