Equality news round-up: more post-DOMA changes announced, and more

LGBT Legal Cases Marriage equality Marriage Equality Trials

President Obama speaks before signing executive order. Attribution: Scottie Thomaston
BREAKING UPDATE 12:14PM ET: The district court judge who struck down Texas’ same-sex marriage banvhas declined/a> to lift the stay, ruling on a request filed recently by the plaintiffs.

BREAKING UPDATE 2 6:07PM ET: SCOTUSBlog reports that a challenge to North Carolina’s same-sex marriage ban is on the way to the Supreme Court. You can read the filing here.

– LGBT activists want more guidance on the President’s executive order barring discrimination by federal contractors on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity.

– Here is how to change minds on marriage equality.

– The Obama administration has made more post-DOMA changes: this time, new guidance that will affect hospitals, hospice care, and nursing homes.

– The FBI has released its hate crimes report for this year. 20% of hate crimes involved anti-gay bias.

• 1. Wolf of Raging Fires  |  December 12, 2014 at 8:42 am

0- BOOOOOOO!!! (breaking update)
    1- WIGGLE?
    2- WIGGLE
    3- WiGGLE WIGGLE WIGGLE!
    4- BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

• 2. RnL2008  |  December 12, 2014 at 10:58 am

Hey Sweetie, don't let those folks take away your happy time……I like your wiggle…..two thumbs up<3

• 3. Wolf of Raging Fires  |  December 12, 2014 at 11:04 am

You're totally right, Rose, and believe me…it's nowhere near making me stop.

I also know now that there is someone thumbing down my stuff just to mess with me and others. They wait until I reply to something or I make a lone comment, and it doesn't matter if it's a positive statement or not, they thumb it down and sometimes thumb down all of the people who reply to it. The simple fact of me mentioning it at the moment is giving them pleasure, so I'm no longer going to bring it up. I KNOW THOUGH. Lol.

• 4. Jen_in_MI  |  December 12, 2014 at 11:13 am

Lots of times I will upvote all of your stuff because I see it downvoted for no reason. TWO can play at that game! LOL Enjoy your weekend, Wolfie, and wiggle on! 🙂

• 5. wes228  |  December 12, 2014 at 11:14 am

Does it really make a difference? I always have the posts ordered by most recent, not by rating. I don't know why everyone is making all this fuss over what is just a number.

• 6. Jen_in_MI  |  December 12, 2014 at 11:34 am

No, it doesn't, which is why I (lamely) try to joke about it. 😉

• 7. Wolf of Raging Fires  |  December 12, 2014 at 11:17 am

Thank you, Jen!!!! The same to you!

• 8. RnL2008  |  December 12, 2014 at 11:48 am

Just know this…..you are loved and I like the wiggle…..it makes me smile:-)

• 9. Wolf of Raging Fires  |  December 12, 2014 at 9:06 am

I think we need to block non-commenters from voting on comments. Many other websites do it and clearly only people who have been here a while know what's happening when I wiggle. It get's frustrating when I'm having a good moment and people just thumb it down when they don't know what I'm doing.

• 10. Swifty819  |  December 12, 2014 at 9:10 am

Here, have a +1

• 11. Wolf of Raging Fires  |  December 12, 2014 at 9:14 am

• 12. DeadHead  |  December 12, 2014 at 9:19 am

Just gave you an upvote to ease your pain LOL Commenters here get downvotes all the time and I am willing to bet there are just as many UP votes than there are downvotes. Blocking non-commenters from voting isn't a good idea, why penalize non-commenters who DO vote up? Here's a big wiggle to ya https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2wrU2tkl38

• 13. Wolf of Raging Fires  |  December 12, 2014 at 9:24 am

That's a good point.

Hehe, thanks for the RuPaul music video. I love RuPaul.

• 14. davepCA  |  December 12, 2014 at 9:36 am

Hey Wolf – you gotta see what I just found……

Have a great Friday and keep on wigglin' !

• 15. Wolf of Raging Fires  |  December 12, 2014 at 9:47 am

Nice!!

• 16. exNoCali  |  December 12, 2014 at 10:02 am

Ditto.

• 17. Mike_Baltimore  |  December 12, 2014 at 11:04 am

Keep non-commenters from voting? No.

Non-members? Yes.

• 18. Wolf of Raging Fires  |  December 12, 2014 at 11:09 am

That's what I meant, Mike. We all had to sign-up to cut down on trolls commenting. I didn't mean people who sign-up but refrain from posting comments. I meant people who aren't members and can't comment because they're not members.

• 19. Mike_Baltimore  |  December 12, 2014 at 11:31 am

So maybe you would want to correct your first post to read something different than "I think we need to block non-commenters from voting on comments"?

A person can be a non-commenter and still be a member (I am in that status for several web-sites), but a non-member cannot comment (at EoT), just up or down vote comments. And some web sites don't provide for up or down votes at all. If a person wants to comment by voting, they can become a member and write a comment in support of the previous comment, or write a comment, explaining why they don't support the previous comment.

• 20. Wolf of Raging Fires  |  December 12, 2014 at 11:54 am

Nah, I think I've explained myself adequately. Thank you for the suggestion though, Mike.

• 21. bythesea66  |  December 12, 2014 at 11:46 am

I think you are getting downvoted after the complaint, but it looks like at most one or two people and as you say none of them may actually be members.

• 22. davepCA  |  December 12, 2014 at 9:16 am

There was a comment here a couple of days ago about NOM's request for stories about great marriages, and how LGBTs were filling their comment section with stories about OUR marriages. Looks like this is getting some attention by the media:

• 23. DeadHead  |  December 12, 2014 at 9:43 am

There are many awesome and wonderful posts on that FB thread. I am surprised Brown/NOM still has that thread up. I hope somebody has archived it would be a shame to see it disappear.

• 24. RQO  |  December 12, 2014 at 2:59 pm

I love it, and if NOM staffers take a moment to consider, they may learn something.

• 25. SethInMaryland  |  December 12, 2014 at 10:37 am

well it's offical Finland has become the next country to legalize marriage equality, the government will have to make changes in the following year but it looks its a done deal

• 26. Wolf of Raging Fires  |  December 12, 2014 at 11:06 am

SCHWEET!!!

WIGGLE WIGGLE WIGGLE WIGGLE WIGGLE WIGGLE WIGGLE WIGGLE WIGGLE WIGGLE WIGGLE WIGGLE WIGGLE WIGGLE WIGGLE WIGGLE WIGGLE WIGGLE WIGGLE WIGGLE WIGGLE WIGGLE WIGGLE WIGGLE WIGGLE WIGGLE WIGGLE WIGGLE WIGGLE WIGGLE WIGGLE WIGGLE WIGGLE WIGGLE WIGGLE WIGGLE WIGGLE WIGGLE WIGGLE WIGGLE WIGGLE WIGGLE WIGGLE WIGGLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 27. bythesea66  |  December 12, 2014 at 11:47 am

🙂

• 28. Wolf of Raging Fires  |  December 12, 2014 at 11:51 am

😀

• 29. RnL2008  |  December 12, 2014 at 11:48 am

Thank you!!!

• 30. Wolf of Raging Fires  |  December 12, 2014 at 11:50 am

You're welcome!

• 31. RnL2008  |  December 12, 2014 at 11:53 am

{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}

• 32. Wolf of Raging Fires  |  December 12, 2014 at 11:56 am

HUGS!!!

• 33. Mike_Baltimore  |  December 12, 2014 at 11:45 am

Off topic:

I'm sure many or most people at EoT have heard about the 'N0H0M0' personalized license plate controversy in Alabama. The state has now changed its mind on that tag, and has decided to start the process of recalling the tag:

The decision to start the recall of the tag should mean Alabama needs to review its regulations on personalized tags to see where changes might be made to prevent such from happening in the future, but what are the probabilities of that happening?

On a personal note, soon after the state of Maryland began a personalized license plate program, a Corvette owner got tags that said 'Vette'. He crashed the Vette, and then transferred the tags to a VW Beetle (transferring of tags is legal in MD). I had a brief conversation with the owner who told me he would soon be buying another Vette, and when he did so, he would transfer the tags to the new Vette. It was a bit incongruous to see a VW Beetle with 'Vette' tags, but the backstory explained a lot.

• 34. Wolf of Raging Fires  |  December 12, 2014 at 11:58 am

I'm surprised they backpedaled. Thank you for sharing!

• 35. sglaser2  |  December 12, 2014 at 12:16 pm

It's weird in NH as well. Years ago we had a Plymouth Voyager with the plate VGER. We randomly ended up parking next to an identical one (even the same color) with plate V-GER.

In New Hampshire, hyphen is a letter (and that sound sort of like Reagan talking about ketchup and vegetables).

In a silly mood…

• 36. Wolf of Raging Fires  |  December 12, 2014 at 12:20 pm

Hahaha!

*In Reagan voice* Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this rutabaga!

• 37. wkrick  |  December 12, 2014 at 1:54 pm

In North Carolina, you can get various punctuation on your plate. However, none of the punctuation is actually part of your plate number. So for example, "!A!B!C!" is the same plate as "ABC". Some of the punctuation characters are counted as 1/2 of a letter. I saw a place once that said L!GHTN!NG (substituting exclamation points for the letter I). It was pretty smart because you can normally only get 8 characters on a plate but each exclamation point only counts as 1/2 letter.

More info… http://www.ncdot.gov/download/dmv/PersonalizedSpe

• 38. DaveM_OH  |  December 12, 2014 at 1:33 pm

Schafly et al. (AKA Eagle Forum) have filed an amicus on DeBoer (per the Docket). I don't have a link to the filing.

• 39. hopalongcassidy  |  December 12, 2014 at 1:57 pm

Is that bizzy old ditch still around? I thought she went away to fellate Jerry Foulball years ago…

• 40. Mike_Baltimore  |  December 12, 2014 at 2:24 pm

Unfortunately, she still is around, is now 90, and apparently in good health.

I don't normally wish bad things on others, but for her … .

• 41. Zack12  |  December 12, 2014 at 2:30 pm

I despise the fact so many in our community have lost great people when they were far too young but monsters like her live to their 80's and 90's.

• 42. sfbob  |  December 12, 2014 at 2:35 pm

Satan doesn't want Schlafly to die; he's afraid she'll try to take over.

• 43. Fortguy  |  December 12, 2014 at 1:39 pm

Although I'm not surprised that Judge Garcia upheld the stay, I was hoping that he would at least require the state to recognize the Massachusetts marriage of plaintiffs Cleopatra DeLeon and Nicole Dimetman due to the immediate hardship they face during their pregnancy, and their need to have their marital and parental rights in making medical decisions respected.

• 44. Raga  |  December 12, 2014 at 2:14 pm

The deadline for Ohio and Tennessee to file their responses is Monday – and it looks like it is too late for them to ask for an eleventh hour extension. This means, if the Plaintiffs then file or waive their replies by December 23 (that is, make sure the clerk receives them by December 23, not just mail it out by that date), all petitions will be ready for the January 9 conference.

• 45. DeadHead  |  December 12, 2014 at 2:39 pm

Lets hope the Plaintiffs get those in quickly and not screw it up by mailing it in at the last minute.

• 46. scream4ever  |  December 12, 2014 at 8:41 pm

Ohio just submitted their response brief. It's in support of granting cert!

• 47. Pat_V  |  December 12, 2014 at 2:21 pm

French Front National vice president Florian Philippot 'outed' as gay http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/

This one is quite funny. The vice-president of the anti-gay far-right Front National being outed as gay. Of course, while no one should be outed against their will, it is probably just fair enough when the people are openly taking anti-gay positions to hurt us. (While the party has been surprisingly 'moderate' on the issue of marriage equality, for example refusing to officially participate in the mass anti-gay demonstrations of 2013, the party president Marine Le Pen still said unequivocally that she would abolish the marriage equality law, should she – God forbid – ever become president)
    Surprisingly, all the media are outraged about the outing, unanimously condemning the magazine for the breach of private life, which sadly reveals how homosexuality is still such a big deal in France in 2014 – pretty much no media have instead mentioned the hypocrisy of the gay vice-president of an anti-gay party.

• 48. DeadHead  |  December 12, 2014 at 2:43 pm

It seems the loudest homophobes are always the most self loathing gay men. Thanks for sharing this story and link!

• 49. guitaristbl  |  December 13, 2014 at 10:42 am

Indeed the focus on privacy thing from all parties and the press is infuriating. Hypocrisy should be exposed when it comes at such a degree. Privacy is sacred but if you as a gay man work openly against the rights of LGBT people and your party gives a free pass to homophobia you should be outed.

• 50. F_Young  |  December 12, 2014 at 2:44 pm

Northern Ireland's government supports adding a “conscience clause” into its equality law to allow businesses to refuse to serve gays on religious grounds.

Bill a reaction to action by Equality Commission against Ashers bakery for refusing to make a cake with an equal marriage message.