Marriage equality will have its day in the Supreme Court on April 28, will you help us get there?

LGBT Legal Cases Marriage equality Marriage Equality Trials

Hey everyone,

The U.S Supreme Court just announced that on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 it will hear four marriage equality cases, which center around a state’s right to ban or refuse to recognize same-sex marriage. This Supreme Court hearing will set the stage for the most monumental legal decision in our decades-long fight for the right to marry.

Thanks to decades of organizing by courageous activists like you, marriage equality continues to gain traction, with couples having the freedom to marry in 37 states and the District of Columbia. For years, EqualityOnTrial.com has been at the forefront of the marriage equality movement, providing unparalleled analysis and insight. We were in the courtroom and on the ground during the recent battles in Alabama and have provided on the ground reporting in Louisiana, Denver, San Francisco and elsewhere.

Now, these upcoming Supreme Court hearings could be the moment that full marriage equality crosses the finish line. But EOT won’t be there unless you make it happen.

We’ve all followed along with the Alabama cases and the twists and turns happening here. I’ve been on the ground here covering the fight for marriage equality. This week the state supreme court set us back, but we have the momentum on our side. Federal judges in Alabama are on our side and the Eleventh Circuit and US Supreme Court both allowed marriages to move forward.

My state shows why we need a final decision by the Supreme Court, to settle this issue once and for all, and ensure all 50 states have marriage equality. These upcoming Supreme Court cases could be the moment that launches universal marriage equality in the U.S., but I can’t get there to bring you minute-to-minute coverage without you.

Help send me to the U.S. Supreme Court and keep EqualityOnTrial.com at the forefront of the marriage equality movement.

Any amount you can spare will help us provide insight into the proceedings, and let us give our up-to-the-minute analysis of what was said in the courtroom, how interested the Justices seemed in particular issues, and everything else that goes along with being in the room and watching these events unfold firsthand.

If you donate, you’ll be invited to participate in a live-chat with Jacob and myself after the hearing, where we’ll discuss our view of how things went and answer your questions.

April 28 is coming up faster than we think! These are exciting times.

Thanks everyone,

– Scottie, and the EOT team

• 1. RemC_Chicago  |  March 5, 2015 at 9:09 am

Scottie, I wish my donation could be higher. I'll make another one next month if we haven't hit the goal. Good luck! It will be exciting to get your perspective on the day's events.

• 2. NorthernAspect  |  March 5, 2015 at 9:52 am

Donations seem to go to Courage Campaign which has programs that are beyond the scope of this website. Are donations made on this website specifically earmarked for Equality on Trial activities?

• 3. Zack12  |  March 5, 2015 at 11:00 am

There will be a discussion of state constitutions and good old Judge Sutton will be one of the speakers.
    I hope he is asked how he'll feel being on the wrong side of history and what other rights does he think the states should be able to take away?

• 4. RemC_Chicago  |  March 5, 2015 at 12:21 pm

Let's hope you're right.

• 5. Sagesse  |  March 5, 2015 at 12:32 pm

Sadly, he's not on any of the panels… he's giving a welcome address on behalf of the law school, where he's an adjunct professor. Unlikely he'll be in the path of any meaningful Q&A.

• 6. RnL2008  |  March 5, 2015 at 12:00 pm

Scottie, thank you for all you do and the information this site gives to us……..I can't do much, but I can do what I can……..go knock them out:-)

• 7. Wolf of Raging Fires  |  March 5, 2015 at 10:10 pm

Ditto!!!

• 8. RnL2008  |  March 5, 2015 at 10:30 pm

It's been one of those days Wolf, but you always seem to know just what to do to make me smile a bit. Thank you<3

• 9. Wolf of Raging Fires  |  March 5, 2015 at 10:38 pm

*Hugs* hope you're okay. I definitely understand the tough day thing.

• 10. RnL2008  |  March 5, 2015 at 10:49 pm

Thanks Wolf….every day it seems is a struggle to stay on the right side of life……but I'm a working on it.

• 11. Wolf of Raging Fires  |  March 5, 2015 at 11:51 pm

Just keep hanging in there, Rose! <3

• 12. RnL2008  |  March 5, 2015 at 11:54 pm

I'm doing my best, hopefully that's enough right now:-)

• 13. ianbirmingham  |  March 5, 2015 at 6:54 pm

“The Court will provide the audio recording and transcript of the oral argument in 14-556, Obergefell v. Hodges, and consolidated cases, on an expedited basis through the Court’s Website. The argument is scheduled to be heard on Tuesday, April 28 from 10 a.m. until 12:30 p.m.

“The Court will post the audio recording and unofficial transcript as soon as the digital files are available for uploading to the Website. The audio recording and transcript should be available no later than 2 p.m. on April 28.

“Anyone interested in the proceedings will be able to access the recording and transcript directly through links on the homepage of the Court’s Website. The Court’s Website address is http://www.supremecourt.gov.&rdquo;

• 14. Wolf of Raging Fires  |  March 5, 2015 at 10:03 pm

I can't wait!!!!

• 15. RnL2008  |  March 5, 2015 at 10:48 pm

I'm going to make an early predication on how the ruling from SCOTUS will more than likely be and that's a 5-4 ruling in our favor.

If I was really daring, I predicate a 7-2 ruling in our favor, putting Justice Scalia and Justice Thomas dissenting…….and it is possible, NOT necessary probable to get a 6-3 ruling, but though it is possible, I just don't get warm and fuzzy feelings it will go that way.

I'm a little surprised that the question NOT before SCOTUS is the fundamental right question. I mean they ruled that Marriage is a FUNDAMENTAL right in the Skinner ruling, which had nothing to do with marriage and again in the Loving decision, as well as in the Zablocki ruling. I continue to believe that there was some reason as to why that question was not set before SCOTUS, which gives me a small amount of fear, that the reason why is because maybe SCOTUS DOESN'T feel like it's a fundamental right for us…….though I do still believe it is a Fundamental Right.

The two questions that SCOTUS asked, also give me a small amount of fear, even though I do believe they will rule in our favor……..the ruling could be a split, the states CAN'T infringe on our right to marry by placing gender specific restrictions because marriage is a Fundamental Right…….I see this could go in our favor 6-3………the recognition part is more of a concern for me, because I've felt for a while now that recognizing the marriages solemnized in another state is more of a courtesy the states have always done, but is NOT mandated……and I believe that there is a chance SCOTUS could rule that way………at that point we'd win on one question and lose on the other. I hope our lawyers don't ignore the recognition issue because that's where we might have an issue winning…….that ruling could and probably will be the 5-4 part.

I'll continue to be positive and believe in the total Victory……just thought I'd throw that out there and see if anyone else has thought the same thing.